• 70 results
#1 Edited by Evil_Alaska (327 posts) -

As of right now only 461 people have completed this week's Quest Set. Thats kind of sad.  

While there are definitely loyal users who love the Quest System, me being one of them, it seems the "average" Giant Bomb user no longer has much interest in them. 

If the Quest user number continues to go down, how much longer do you think time and resources will be devoted to them? Is the Quest System dying a slow death?

#2 Posted by ErrorOperator (480 posts) -

I personally only take part in the quests to do with games, not editing pages or following/talking to other users!

#3 Posted by DjCmeP (1224 posts) -
@ErrorOperator said:
" I personally only take part in the quests to do with games, not editing pages or following/talking to other users! "
This.
#4 Edited by Scrumdidlyumptious (1679 posts) -

I think it's just the nature of this week's quest. Giant Bomb users are too shy and considerate to be spamming random people. I'm #177 to finish though.

#5 Posted by Feanor (1440 posts) -

I never really like quests. Honestly I saw it as a waste of time, you don't get anything out of it. They could really improve the system if they offered some rewards through it. Quests really seem to be failing on screened though, but thats understandable.

#6 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19809 posts) -

No, it's just that this week's quest set is probably the worst one yet and that's why not many have completed it.

#7 Posted by Colin (709 posts) -

I agree with Scrumdidlyumptious, it's just the requirements for doing the quest put people off but there's only so many things they can come up with for website based quests and they got to try them all to see what people like and dislike.   The sponsored quest seemed rather popular.
#8 Posted by snide (2672 posts) -

Our new quest stuff is being built now. Coonce is working on it full time. You'll see the entire system get turbocharged in the next couple months.

#9 Posted by hedfone (1746 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" No, it's just that this week's quest set is probably the worst one yet and that's why not many have completed it. "
#11 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1663 posts) -

This weeks quest set is kinda hard to finish.

#12 Posted by Burntlettuce (102 posts) -

It's only natural for something new to lose steam over time. When the quest system first came out it was new and exciting. Everyone rushed to finish them as quickly as they could, but as it gets older the less people become interested. 

#13 Edited by EliasT (691 posts) -

No, it's getting more prominent and annoying.

#14 Posted by Doubt (334 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
" No, it's just that this week's quest set is probably the worst one yet and that's why not many have completed it. "
this   

and 

I personally liked it when the quest was for chance at a prize like something signed by Coonce or a Bioshock mask or something like they did before.
#15 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1679 posts) -

I'd be interested in a quest with the chance to win the orbital lounger.

#16 Posted by damswedon (3221 posts) -

the quest is just better suited for long term completion.

#17 Posted by Six (620 posts) -
#18 Edited by AlisterCat (6064 posts) -

I have no interest in doing things that I wouldn't normally do, or have to fake doing. I don't want to force anyone to follow me, and I don't want to follow anyone for the sake of a quest. Due to the fact that I have nothing of importance to say to any new user it would just be spam for the sake of questing which is not why I am here. That doesn't mean the quest system is dying, it's just not something everyone wants to get involved with. Hit and miss quest sets will help the team get better at designing successful quests.

#19 Edited by mnzy (2959 posts) -

For me it's this weeks quest. I don't want to spam stuff to random people.

#20 Posted by Lies (3985 posts) -
@snide said:
" Our new quest stuff is being built now. Coonce is working on it full time. You'll see the entire system get turbocharged in the next couple months. "
BUT ARE THERE GUIDE QUESTS
#21 Posted by Ventilaator (1566 posts) -

The system isn't dying, the quests this week just suck.

#22 Posted by 1337W422102 (1131 posts) -

Let's put it this way.  If I got the hell spammed out of me when I first joined GB, I probably wouldn't have stayed around.  If you want to message new users and genuinely want to help them, that's one thing.  But I'm not a fan of this quest set.

#23 Posted by Supermarius (1223 posts) -

man, i wish people didn't post "is ***** dying?" threads for every game and gaming thing there is. There is hardly even any info in such threads. It's allways just useless or inaccurate pessimism.

#24 Posted by Prolix (189 posts) -

The site as a whole is failing.  With all the kids back in school.  Expect the site to be shut down before 2012.  

Take a look at the other whiskey media sites too.  They are worse.  They can't afford the bandwidth and not enough people willing pay.

Site was just a fade to begin with...

#25 Posted by JoeyRavn (5110 posts) -

To be honest, I'm tired of Quests. I did quite a few, but I grew tired of them. It's not that they give you anything tangible, just more "level"... Besides, in Comic Vine, where I'm more active, %80 of the non-wiki Quests (ie. those that don't force you to edit the wiki) are about Marvel characters, which I despise...

#26 Posted by Deusoma (3184 posts) -
@ErrorOperator said:
" I personally only take part in the quests to do with games, not editing pages or following/talking to other users! "
#27 Posted by Ravenousrattler (1420 posts) -

Theres usually a problem with community quests, most the time its just the users needed to finish is too high. This one is different in that its a doable number, but there is just not enough people willing to spam new users.

#28 Edited by Anthony (248 posts) -

Kind of repetitive.

#29 Posted by Pinworm45 (4069 posts) -

I thought it was a cool idea at first, until I just realized it's a grind.

#30 Posted by RecSpec (4440 posts) -
@1337W422102 said:
" Let's put it this way.  If I got the hell spammed out of me when I first joined GB, I probably wouldn't have stayed around.  If you want to message new users and genuinely want to help them, that's one thing.  But I'm not a fan of this quest set. "
I totally agree. I would've freaked the hell out and never came back.
#31 Posted by Fjordson (2554 posts) -

I love quests, XP in any form is addicting.

I think the low numbers for this week are simply due to the nature of the set.

#32 Posted by PerryVandell (2190 posts) -

I'm guessing the reason that many people haven't completed this quest is because it involves finding a new user and then just blasting their profile with pms, wall posts, etc. 

#33 Posted by TheGreatGuero (8882 posts) -

This current quest set has some bad tasks, which I think most users haven't completed because they don't want to be so obnoxious. However, I think quest support and interest is definitely on the decline. I think part of the problem is that all the new quests seem to reward you with a bonus for completing them within a week. Like this quest, or the trivia quest, for instance. The site would benefit more from them if users weren't encouraged to rush through them. Look at how many people spammed the trivia with stupid or thoughtless questions just for some XP. That's not cool. Then we have the new user quest, which would be fine as a quest if it didn't try to rush us. It really encourages the people that care most about quest points to abuse/exploit the system, when really, completing the quests would be much more rewarding if done legitimately.

#34 Edited by Jeust (11347 posts) -

I don't think they are dying, just scaling back...  

I like seeing them popping up, and would like it even more if it did the catchy sound of a 360 achievement, but i rarely go out of my way to do them. 

#35 Posted by Cerogravian (382 posts) -
@Doubt said:
I personally liked it when the quest was for chance at a prize like something signed by Coonce or a Bioshock mask or something like they did before. "
@Six said:
" These quests need MORE LOOT!! "

I understand that they can't have sexy loot for every community quest, but I really think they should include people not in the states in those draws. I doubt anyone who entered and won would object to pay for the shipping...

But on a more topic-related note: While I agree that this quest could be dangerous, what with promoting mass attacks on new users, it's not difficult to simply jump in and say something welcoming, encouraging or actually helpful to the new users...

#36 Edited by AndrewB (7782 posts) -

I've nothing against the system, I just realized early on that I don't have the time to keep up with each and every quest set. I still admire it for the achievement in web engineering more than anything else.

#37 Posted by JJWeatherman (14790 posts) -
@mnzy said:
" For me it's this weeks quest. I don't want to spam stuff to random people. "
Exactly. I also don't want to follow people that may not even be using the site in a week.
#38 Posted by RecSpec (4440 posts) -
@Cerogravian said:

I understand that they can't have sexy loot for every community quest, but I really think they should include people not in the states in those draws. I doubt anyone who entered and won would object to pay for the shipping...

It's not just the cost, it's customs, customs, and motherfucking customs.
Sending stuff outside the US is a pain in the ass.
#39 Posted by NikoAlexander57 (370 posts) -

The quests are still going strong for a good amount people. Every once in a while I'll jump on and try to complete a set. It's just that this week's set is difficult, I've only got two of them in the set complete. The best buy sponsored one, almost 4000 people completed that. It's all a difficulty thing.

#40 Posted by Cerogravian (382 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
" @Cerogravian said:

It's not just the cost, it's customs, customs, and motherfucking customs. Sending stuff outside the US is a pain in the ass. "

That just sounds wrong... What would they demand of the sender? o.O

That it would be a pain to send stuff into the US, I could understand/anticipate, but out

Oh well, no sense in mourning here. At least they've already put up the notion of sending membership t-shirts overseas!

#41 Posted by Drebin_893 (2991 posts) -

I don't know, I find the Quest system to be more spammy than useful, but I appreciate that others feel differently.

#42 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3204 posts) -

I like the quests.  Just not these.  I understand they want to get the new users integrated faster, maybe get some more conversation going, but I don't feel like hunting someone down to complete the quest.  It just seems rude.

#43 Posted by chogi (550 posts) -

too much work for this one.

#44 Posted by RobotHamster (4235 posts) -

#24 right here

#45 Posted by ajamafalous (12310 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

#46 Posted by Raymayne (1230 posts) -
@ErrorOperator said:
This. I don't think the system is dying really, I'm sure if a 'real' quest came out that involved us having to use our heads and find game info on the wiki then loads of people would definitely go for it. I just personally think stuff like this new users one is not interesting in the slightest and so have elected to not take part.
#47 Posted by adoggz (2081 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
" @1337W422102 said:
" Let's put it this way.  If I got the hell spammed out of me when I first joined GB, I probably wouldn't have stayed around.  If you want to message new users and genuinely want to help them, that's one thing.  But I'm not a fan of this quest set. "
I totally agree. I would've freaked the hell out and never came back. "
I would feel really loved and amazing. then I would wonder why after my first week no one cared about me at all, then I would go cut myself in a corner and cry alot. I would leave after that.
#48 Posted by ApolloBob (577 posts) -

My interest in quests plummeted the first time I missed out on a Limited Edition quest.  Once a completionist like me knows it's impossible to complete everything that's all she wrote.  Not that I mind - to have not missed out on it would have entailed constant monitoring of this site and I'd much rather have a life outside of Giant Bomb, as much as I enjoy it.

#49 Posted by Vinchenzo (6466 posts) -

I used to like it. I no longer care.

#50 Edited by Ignor (3186 posts) -

I really don't like it. 
All the time and effort the engineers are spending on building quests could have been used to do something more constructive,
like fixing the various bugs and glitches that have been reported.