#1 Posted by ShockD (2381 posts) -

I do believe that with the removal of quests from the site, this boards has become obsolete. There's nothing really left to be discussed. What do you think?

#2 Posted by Snail (8475 posts) -

They have said they might bring Quests back eventually, so might as well keep these boards just in case - and if nothing else, to reminisce about the good ol' days of video game trivia scavenging on Giant Bomb.

That said, I don't think this board should be in the "Forums" drop down menu for now. It's not a big issue, but it might confuse some people.

#3 Posted by Morningstar (2050 posts) -

It doubt they'll bring back quests anytime soon, and that's fine by me. Bring back achievement tracking though!

#4 Posted by Skytylz (4015 posts) -

It doubt they'll bring back quests anytime soon, and that's fine by me. Bring back achievement tracking though!

This, I always enjoyed looking at the rarity of some of my achievements. It was also fun to read the comments on some of the more difficult achievements for tips!

#5 Posted by Flappy (2034 posts) -

Quests were more of a fad than anything else, but they were fun for the time. Achievement tracking was appealing because it allowed me to show off my how much time I spent playing games of questionable quality (I'm looking at you, Dynasty Warrior Gundam).

#6 Edited by thetrin (131 posts) -

It's not the end of the world if they don't bring back quests, but it's one thing about the site I really really enjoyed. The countdown to Christmas was always a lot of fun with quests.

#7 Posted by ShockD (2381 posts) -

I support a quest revolution! Power to the people!

#8 Edited by eccentrix (1426 posts) -

@morningstar said:

My post was going to be the opposite of this. It's more likely that they'll bring back quests because Giant Bomb doesn't run the APIs controlling achievement tracking. That's the main reason they've decided to not carry it over to the new site, from what I heard. Quests are more doable.

#9 Posted by Vrikk (837 posts) -

Why exactly did they get rid of quests? Did they ever mention it on a podcast?

#10 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

#NEVERFORGET

#11 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Quests are dumb. That is all

#12 Posted by RazielCuts (2711 posts) -

I think they were a good reason for visiting pages on the wiki that you mightn't of visited.

#13 Posted by Conzed92 (166 posts) -

@vrikk: Was just thinking of that. It is a shame alright... It was such a lovely detail to the site.

#14 Posted by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

Do you wanna go on a quest with me?

#15 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

This is a great question.

#16 Posted by BranDong (238 posts) -

I miss quests and achievement tracking! Bring them back Mr. Snider!

#17 Edited by Legion_ (1209 posts) -

Fucking hell. Got the "First" quest on last nights podcast. To my huge dissapointment I found out that quests were removed.

I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS! CURSES!

#18 Posted by Pazy (2553 posts) -

This board should stay for nostalgia purposes, also to confuse new members with useless features.

#19 Posted by Fattony12000 (6359 posts) -

It's even more necessary in these dark dark times.

#20 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1591 posts) -

Methinks if they do bring it back, it'll be post launch of the ps4 and xbox. Just call it a feeling

#21 Edited by psylah (2153 posts) -

Let's use this forum to talk about our favorite video game quests.

Remember that quest where you had to kill that guy? Oh man, that was a good one.

#22 Edited by ShadowXBL (31 posts) -

Quests were the reason I used GB. That and achievement tracking, both were fun. Now they're both gone and the site has lost a lot of usefulness.

All that time spent and levels gained competing with friends are just completely gone. It'd be like if Xbox got rid of achievement scores.

#23 Posted by sebastianspanache (3 posts) -

So why did they get rid of quests?

#24 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

Quests are indeed dumb, but damn if I didn't spend a significant amount of time getting some of them.

#25 Posted by davo (141 posts) -

I hope the quests make a return. Granted, they're not really important in the grand scheme of things, but they were fun.

#26 Posted by jamr_mx (44 posts) -

this site is more and more shity everyday

#27 Edited by TheHT (10288 posts) -

@thetrin said:

@morningstar said:

It's not the end of the world if they don't bring back quests, but it's one thing about the site I really really enjoyed. The countdown to Christmas was always a lot of fun with quests.

E3 quests were fun too.

#28 Edited by lokihellfire2008 (8 posts) -

@snail: Yeah I am new and totally confused. I got excited to think I could play the forums like an rpg, but alas, I have come too late.

#29 Edited by kgould01 (45 posts) -

why did they get rid of the quests? that was the main reason i liked it here.

#30 Posted by mlarrabee (2760 posts) -

@kgould01: I think the designers just kind of outgrew it. A lot of users enjoyed them, I included, but the time designing and implementing them can now be spent on other, bigger things.

I just know I learned minutia about things tangentially related to gaming directly because of the quests...

#31 Posted by Godmil (134 posts) -

Oh man, I only just learned that these were removed. You have no idea how long I'd spent trying to get the first post one. AGH!

Anyway, I guess spoilers are off now, so can anyone tell me who the "most important person in video games" was? I tried everyone obvious.

#32 Edited by Demoskinos (13878 posts) -

Im excited not only did I get the first quest. I was one of the 775 people to get the < > quest.

#33 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (952 posts) -

Wise old man LFG of 4 heroes to beat evil wizard. Please contact through email.

#34 Posted by Fattony12000 (6359 posts) -

Never forget.

#35 Posted by dudeglove (7257 posts) -

I was wondering about this myself. Sadly there's no evidence of my part in the <> quest any more.

#36 Posted by TrashMustache (449 posts) -

i think the quests were a really nice touch, as were the achievements, I dont understand why they took away those things that gave GB a special flavor.

#37 Posted by Castiel (2422 posts) -

Yes, but I doubt ShockD is still necessary.

#38 Posted by SpaceRunaway (809 posts) -

If you came to GB for the quests...Jesus Christ what are you even doing.

They've talked about why the quests didn't make the transition somewhere (radio show maybe), but I don't remember the reason. Too much other stuff to focus on for the time being?

#39 Posted by ajamafalous (11592 posts) -

Eh, no reason to get rid of it.

Also:

One of my proudest and favorite GB moments was figuring this out the night it came out. Featured: both the Remarkin' Spartan (which was shortly removed) and First! Quests.

#40 Edited by Dylstew (20 posts) -

I'm new to this forum and I kind of woner what this board's even supposed to be. Can anybody explain it to me? 0.o

#41 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2353 posts) -

@dylstew said:

I'm new to this forum and I kind of woner what this board's even supposed to be. Can anybody explain it to me? 0.o

Before a recent site redesign, we had these achievement type things called quests, which basically gave you a vague riddle of what pages you had to look for, what to post in the forums, ect, to complete a specific quest.

#42 Posted by President_Barackbar (3344 posts) -

@dylstew said:

Sure, Giant Bomb used to have a quest system (sorta like achievements) where users had to perform certain tasks based on a clue. Sometimes it would involve something like getting the first comment on a video, and sometimes it was to find specific wiki pages. Finishing quests got you points which leveled your user account. Account levels and points weren't for anything more than bragging rights.

#43 Posted by jakob187 (21508 posts) -

I'm going to go on a quest in a minute to make something to eat. I'm currently debating between two sausage/egg/cheese croissants or two chicken chimichangas.

Opinions?

#44 Posted by ShockD (2381 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

I'm going to go on a quest in a minute to make something to eat. I'm currently debating between two sausage/egg/cheese croissants or two chicken chimichangas.

Opinions?

All of the above?