#1 Edited by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -

So I'm having real trouble with the Monster Mash quest, as I'm sure a few more of you out there are, too.
Let us discuss and give hints to some of the possible answers, but please no direct spoilers or answers.
 
I have three of the 5 so far, but the last two have completely lost me.
The other two are really baffling me. If anyone could provide me with some hints without spoiling it entirely that would be great.
 
Here are some hints for people struggling with this one.
 
EDIT: I have found all five and have compiled these hints in the order that the quest lists them. Good luck, duders! And big thanks to everyone who helped out.

 
If you are still having a lot of trouble even with these hints (particularly #2 or #4 and some of the others) please be sure to check my other posts in this thread on the later pages. I give some pretty massive hints for those of you who want to remove all the challenge for yourselves. =P
#2 Posted by Shaunage (689 posts) -

Those are the same three I found. I was more surprised by opening every single console page on the site and somehow still missing half of those ones.

#3 Posted by BRG9000 (144 posts) -

I found the one that's in the title of the D&D parody in Bully. And the 3 you're describing. Stumped on the fifth.

#4 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

The first one is definitely Dungeon right? 
 
Think Warcraft, and you'll get quite a lot of them. 
Still missing 1 for me though...
#5 Edited by General_D23 (1201 posts) -

I think I have the same 3. Still missing 2, as well.... 
 
EDIT: And we're really going to need a seperate forum.
#6 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

Whoever came up with the 5 monsters in this plays some weird rpgs... 
How is skeleton not part of these 5? Compared to some of the other ones...
#7 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -
@Shirogane said:
" Whoever came up with the 5 monsters in this plays some weird rpgs... How is skeleton not part of these 5? Compared to some of the other ones... "
I know, dude. Skeletons, Undead... Wizards/Warlocks... all of these things I've tried. Minotaurs, Cyclops, Ogres... no luck. :(
#8 Posted by agony (51 posts) -

I am only missing the second one and I have no idea anymore :(

#9 Edited by Dustpan (1690 posts) -

Cliche my butt.

#10 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@JustTheDoctor said:
" Cliche my butt. "
You'd like that wouldn't you.
#11 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -

Mimic/Monster Chest. Skeleton. Zombie/Undead. Mind Flayer (okay, so this needs a page, but still). 
 
I almost think the list should've been longer just to accommodate these obvious omissions.

#12 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -

Okay I now have 4, the last one I need is the second one. The fourth one is bloody obscure. These definitely aren't as clichéd as was first indicated. If anyone has the second creature please provide some hints/clues!

#13 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -

Missing the second and fourth one, myself. Can't for the life of me figure it out. Werewolves, wraiths, spiders, orcs. Nothing... 
#14 Posted by thecleric (793 posts) -

Zombies/Undead not being one of the five is total fail. What RPG doesn't have these?

#15 Posted by agony (51 posts) -
@Meltbrain said:
"  If anyone has the second creature please provide some hints/clues! "
I need an effin clue too :/
#16 Posted by Xerxes8933A (227 posts) -
@Meltbrain said:

" Okay I now have 4, the last one I need is the second one. The fourth one is bloody obscure. These definitely aren't as clichéd as was first indicated. If anyone has the second creature please provide some hints/clues! "

Missing the second one myself.  4th was the first I got.  Then again, I love my candles.   But yeah, some of them aren't the most cliché but if they had been then everyone would have figured it out right quick.  There's gotta be one sem-hard quest for each quest set.
#17 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -

I even tried stuff like Will-O'-Wisp thinking I was being smart and edgy, but still no damn luck. As for the fourth one...
 

#18 Posted by Titl (539 posts) -

This quest is really freaking hard..i am not big on "classic" RPG's so this one is kinda tough for me.

#19 Posted by asian_pride (1654 posts) -

I think I've found the 4th one, but there's no indication that I got it. Either I'm running into a bug, or I got the creature wrong.

#20 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -
@Scrumdidlyumptious:
@Meltbrain:
Holy shit, I finally got it. Goddamn. If I weren't familiar with mythological creatures I don't think I ever would of gotten it without someone straight-up telling me. Either that or I would've had to go on a very long google search.  
 
Thanks to you both. Now let's find number 2.
#21 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -

Call me stupid but I'm not getting anything out of "anthromorphic dog." :(

#22 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -
@takua108:
Hmm...If you played Lost Odyssey, they were in that too, but they were also something very different.
#23 Posted by Term (83 posts) -

I just got the second one, it seems really obvious once you get it.
 
I'll try to think of a better hint that doesn't straight give it away, but until then think of monsters with somewhat silly names that aren't used much anymore.

#24 Posted by agony (51 posts) -

yes please think of a better on :D

#25 Edited by Anathem (126 posts) -
#26 Posted by paulunga (1926 posts) -

Bah, I'm also still missing the second and fourth one.The only thing I could think of when you mentioned anthropomorphic dog was Cerberus, which isn't even anthropomorphic at all and I already tried Gnolls (I know, hyenas) earlier.
 
Also, what's up with the "Fire Bad" quest? I've never heard of that combo before.

#27 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -

Man, it's neither owlbear nor beholder, so I'm out of classic monster ideas.

#28 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -
#29 Posted by Anathem (126 posts) -
#30 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -

Wait, is the hint for #3 in the first post? Because I guess I'm missing #2 and #3; I've had #4 all along...?

#31 Posted by Anathem (126 posts) -
@Meltbrain:  Thanks to you I have all five! :) #45 to get it.
#32 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -
@takua108 said:
" Wait, is the hint for #3 in the first post? Because I guess I'm missing #2 and #3; I've had #4 all along...? "
Yep. #3 is in the first post.
#33 Posted by paulunga (1926 posts) -
@paulunga said:
...I already tried Gnolls (I know, hyenas) earlier.
Okay, durr, I should've figured that one out earlier. Think, smaller brother of the gnoll.
#34 Posted by Term (83 posts) -
It's the creature that the modern day concept of the boogieman was based from.
 
That's probably as close as I can get without straight telling you.
#35 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -
@Anathem said:
" Hint for second one:
 
"
Yes! Thanks, man! That hint got me it straight away. To add to that hint, Bender mentions this monster in the Futurama movie Bender's Game (The one parodying RPGs).
#36 Posted by coldblood (125 posts) -

Man the second one is really rackin my brain.  Any clues would be lovely.  

#37 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -

Okay guys, thanks so much for all your help. To help everyone, I'm going to compile all the hints gathered here in order and put them on my first post. Hopefully this will help a bunch of people.

#38 Edited by General_D23 (1201 posts) -
@Anathem:
I don't know how I just did it, but I was looking through those lists you linked, saw a really stupid name that was made up of the names of two other creatures, typed it in, and bam. 
 
This is almost more obscure then #4. I've  never even heard of it...
#39 Edited by Xerxes8933A (227 posts) -
@Anathem said:

" Hint for second one:

Oh thank you.  That one was really starting to bug me.  Soon as I saw your hint I slapped myself for not thinking of that sooner.
#40 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -

Alright, got all of 'em, thanks for the hints, guys. 
 
The weird thing is that I had visited the page for #3 multiple, multiple times, but it never gave it to me. Then I went and got #4 and it gave me the "quest complete." Whatever, at least I got it :D

#41 Posted by Titl (539 posts) -

The first one is the only one that's bugging me now, any hints?

#42 Posted by agony (51 posts) -

I still have no idea :(

#43 Posted by paulunga (1926 posts) -
@Titl said:
" The first one is the only one that's bugging me now, any hints? "
Dragon Quest.
#44 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -

That's it, guys. I've compiled all the hints for all 5 in the correct order they appear in the quest. If you really, really struggle, feel free to PM me and I shall give you some extra clues.

#45 Posted by NickM (1066 posts) -
@General_D23 said:
" @Anathem: I don't know how I just did it, but I was looking through those lists you linked, saw a really stupid name that was made up of the names of two other creatures, typed it in, and bam.  This is almost more obscure then #4. I've  never even heard of it... "
True, It's pretty damn ridiculous.
#46 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -
@NickM said:
" @General_D23 said:
" @Anathem: I don't know how I just did it, but I was looking through those lists you linked, saw a really stupid name that was made up of the names of two other creatures, typed it in, and bam.  This is almost more obscure then #4. I've  never even heard of it... "
True, It's pretty damn ridiculous. "
Very much the same here, I used the clue and found it straight away. Hearing Bender saying it in my mind helped, too. Haha. Maybe I've seen that film a few too many times...
#47 Posted by NickM (1066 posts) -
@Meltbrain said:
" @NickM said:
" @General_D23 said:
" @Anathem: I don't know how I just did it, but I was looking through those lists you linked, saw a really stupid name that was made up of the names of two other creatures, typed it in, and bam.  This is almost more obscure then #4. I've  never even heard of it... "
True, It's pretty damn ridiculous. "
Very much the same here, I used the clue and found it straight away. Hearing Bender saying it in my mind helped, too. Haha. Maybe I've seen that film a few too many times... "
Haven't we all. Haven't we all...
 
Now I need to find #4 before I start throwing punches :/
#48 Posted by Meltbrain (2968 posts) -
@NickM:  Number 4 is a really tough one. I wasn't very familiar with it because I've not played lots of the Warcraft games and it doesn't seem to be in many others. If you get really stuck drop me a PM.
#49 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

Oh my god...seriously? I mean, i'm quite sure most people on this site have never heard of #2... 
Hell, i couldn't tell you a game that had them...
#50 Posted by agony (51 posts) -

even with hints from Meltbrain I still have not found it \o/