Posted by Marino (4732 posts) -

We've been doing this quest thing here on Giant Bomb for over a year now. Most people seem to like it a lot, a few don't, and I'm sure there's a bunch that are apathetic about it. Personally, being a fan of scavenger hunt type stuff, I think it's pretty fun. I still remember doing easter egg type hunts on AOL channels in the mid-90's (I'm sure ZombiePie will enjoy that reference). Anyway, thanks to dozens of other users, I have reached the mountain top. I'm pretty sure that I'm the first to have witnessed this piece of text, so I'm here to share it with you.

Now, to the more important news. I can confirm, with evidence, the continued existence of the Lincoln telling you that you're awesome. We've been unable to witness his magnificence for the last five months.

If we could get rid of that pesky Day 6 Christmas quest, all would be right with the world. I'm looking at you, Coonce!

#2 Posted by Danteveli (1194 posts) -

Congratulations!!
Any tips for other users?

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Danteveli said:
Any tips for other users?
Become a mod.
#4 Posted by JJOR64 (19016 posts) -

Congrats duder!  There are some that I still need to go back and do, but I'm just too lazy.

#5 Posted by mracoon (4972 posts) -

I'll always be second place because I don't see myself completing the review or S-rank Quests.

#6 Posted by Natedogg2 (453 posts) -

Oooo, very nice. I've been working on some of them recently (that 1000 images one is taking a while).

So what was the last quest you finished?

#7 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

I'll never feel awesome again. 775 ruined my life. :(

#8 Posted by Marino (4732 posts) -

@Danteveli: @Video_Game_King:

VGK is right to some extent. There is a secret quest set that only mods have access to, which involves doing mod-type stuff. So, without being a mod, it is indeed impossible to finish all the quests in the system. But as for general advice, you have to work together with other users for a good bit of them. There's a bunch though that just take time and dedication such as the S-ranks, adding releases to the system, and getting 1000 points in one edit on the wiki.

#9 Posted by Mento (2675 posts) -

25 S-Ranks is easy. I'd say the worst ones are FIRST!, 1000 images, 1000 wiki points in one go, those releases and maybe getting 100 wall posts. The reviews are manageable, provided you write well enough to get featured.

The last "we're advertising a new game" community quest put me happily at level 30 even, so I'm all set for the time being.

#10 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -
@mracoon said:

I'll always be second place because I don't see myself completing the review or S-rank Quests.

XBLA Games = your ticket to S Ranks.  I have 10 S-Ranks and zero of them are from retail games.
#11 Posted by Trace (3568 posts) -

Curses! I was hoping for a come-from-behind upset to reach that peak. Nicely done.

Hopefully I'll be number two. I just have one daunting mod quest I'm only halfway through and less than fifty images to upload before I'm in the same boat.

#12 Posted by Pop (2644 posts) -

Congrats!! so level 37 is the highest you can get at this moment, that's cool I'm lvl 32 :D. Also it's cool to see what it says once you finish all the quests.

#13 Posted by Daniel (1523 posts) -

I'm making it my absolute priority to come up with a Quest you'll never solve. Consider this the beginning of the end of your Questing reign, good sir :)

#14 Posted by Marino (4732 posts) -

@PsEG said:

Curses! I was hoping for a come-from-behind upset to reach that peak. Nicely done.

Hopefully I'll be number two. I just have one daunting mod quest I'm only halfway through and less than fifty images to upload before I'm in the same boat.

Damn. I had no idea you were so close. I thought mracoon was the one on my heels. Very sneaky, sir!

#15 Posted by ZombiePie (5705 posts) -

AOL reference...Ha!

@PsEG: @Mento: The image quest was easy for me because when the site first launched I was a filthy image uploader that got a butt load of wiki points that way. now I have over 10,000 images.... I just hate achievement points and have no interest in writing game reviews.

#16 Posted by Marino (4732 posts) -

@daniel said:

I'm making it my absolute priority to come up with a Quest you'll never solve. Consider this the beginning of the end of your Questing reign, good sir :)

I knew there was a high probability of this post drawing the ire of either you or Coonce. You might take away my 100% status, but you can never take away the fact that I was the first to the top! ;)

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@daniel said:

I'm making it my absolute priority to come up with a Quest you'll never solve.

Didn't you already do that with 6 Non-Explosives Sploding :P?
#18 Posted by Daniel (1523 posts) -

@Marino: Pride comes before the fall.

#19 Posted by Mento (2675 posts) -
@daniel: Make a quest that is impossible to earn for users that have names beginning with M or ending in O. That'll fix his wagon, with no backfiring that I can see.

@ZombiePie: To this day, I'm unsure how the reward point system works for wikis. I've gotten amounts ranging from 20 to ~1500 points for just filling out the text section. I guess it's a secret the staff will take to their graves.

One concern I do have is how the "featured review author" Quest will work with the new front page redesign. Will user reviews still be regularly cycled in the Community Highlight section and count for the Quest? If so, will we be seeing more than one at once, or sticking to the old system? How long will they be allowed to stay there? I guess these are wrinkles that'll be ironed out eventually.
#20 Posted by Trace (3568 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@daniel said:

I'm making it my absolute priority to come up with a Quest you'll never solve.

Didn't you already do that with 6 Non-Explosives Sploding :P?

...well-played, sir. Well-played.

#21 Posted by Marino (4732 posts) -

@Mento said:

One concern I do have is how the "featured review author" Quest will work with the new front page redesign. Will user reviews still be regularly cycled in the Community Highlight section and count for the Quest? If so, will we be seeing more than one at once, or sticking to the old system? How long will they be allowed to stay there? I guess these are wrinkles that'll be ironed out eventually.

It still works the same way. I don't think we can have more than one featured review at any given time. Erinfizz is in charge of cycling new reviews into that spot on a regular basis.

#22 Posted by ZombiePie (5705 posts) -

@Mento: Hitting the "Feature" button gives you the quest but you don't get on the new Community Content Feed. We are still trying to figure that stuff out right now.

#23 Posted by Gunharp (337 posts) -

Good job Marino! I had no idea anyone could even finish all of the current quests. 

I never really had the time to engage with the questing on the site. I especially stopped peering over my quest list when the limited edition stuff started rolling out. Locking people out seems silly. I wish there was a quest for dedication like watching the full "end of xbox live" stream. Though I have been enjoying those themed ones that come out once or twice a month. 

#24 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -
@Mento said:

@ZombiePie: To this day, I'm unsure how the reward point system works for wikis. I've gotten amounts ranging from 20 to ~1500 points for just filling out the text section.
I think the system just looks at how much text you added and gives you a corresponding amount of points.
#25 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

@PhatSeeJay said:

That was one of the best, flick of the wrist Quests. I am glad I got it though. Sorry you didn't get it, mang.

#26 Posted by Marino (4732 posts) -

@Kyreo said:

@PhatSeeJay said:

That was one of the best, flick of the wrist Quests. I am glad I got it though. Sorry you didn't get it, mang.

I'm sure they knew it would piss off a lot of people, but I'm not sure they knew it would turn so many off from the whole idea of the quest stuff on the site.

#27 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Nice one. Still got the "under review" set before you though so HA ;) Also how many wiiki points do you need on one page for Biggest Fan?

#28 Edited by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Is it still possible to get the facehugger quest? I don't have a clue how to sync my account to facebook and when I searched the forums to find out how to do it I couldn't see the symbol for syncing under my account setting's making me think that they possibly removed it at some point? I have tried to find out how to do it in chrome and firefox and I am still totally stumped. Woe is me.

Congratulations on completing all the quests, though I must imagine that one limited edition quest you missed is super frustrating. I haven't completed any of the limited edition quests but I am definitely going to go for any new ones they introduce this year. 

EDIT: I wonder if anyone will ever complete literally every quest on the site, is there even a mod with every limited edition quest completed?

#29 Posted by Marino (4732 posts) -

@craigbo180 said:

Congratulations on completing all the quests, though I must imagine that one limited edition quest you missed is super frustrating. I haven't completed any of the limited edition quests but I am definitely going to go for any new ones they introduce this year. EDIT: I wonder if anyone will ever complete literally every quest on the site, is there even a mod with every limited edition quest completed?

I guess I wasn't clear in the post, but that one LE quest is not doable. No one can do it and no one has done it. So, I have completed every possible quest at this time.

#30 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -
@Marino said:

@craigbo180 said:

Congratulations on completing all the quests, though I must imagine that one limited edition quest you missed is super frustrating. I haven't completed any of the limited edition quests but I am definitely going to go for any new ones they introduce this year. EDIT: I wonder if anyone will ever complete literally every quest on the site, is there even a mod with every limited edition quest completed?

I guess I wasn't clear in the post, but that one LE quest is not doable. No one can do it and no one has done it. So, I have completed every possible quest at this time.

Well in that case congratulations on completing all the quests! I didn't realise that quest was broken.
#31 Posted by Marino (4732 posts) -

@craigbo180: I think that quest was originally going to be the 6th Day of Christmas quest, but it got replaced by a different set for day 6. Then, somehow, the original one still lingered in the system, even though it was never activated. And now it's been sitting there for over five months taunting us.

#32 Posted by ajamafalous (12028 posts) -

@PhatSeeJay said:

This.

#33 Posted by xanavi (179 posts) -

I fired Coonce a message about that cursed, glitched quest a while ago and didn't get a response. Here's hoping he sees this thread and gets it sorted, I need my Lincoln back!