• 0 results
#1 Posted by EpicSteve (6470 posts) -

I'm missing a couple of RPG cliche enemies. I've tried all sorts of things I think are commonplace among the genre like zombies, bandits, pirates, wizards, spiders, wolves, and so on. Can someone give me some hints?

#2 Posted by Korne (625 posts) -

One is what turned 4 regular turtles into Crime Fighting Ninjas, and another is a giant _____ breathing, possibly flying beast.

I can't figure out the others... and I'm getting tired.

#3 Edited by NoXious (1338 posts) -

One of your monsters will soon become an experience in a world of it's own.
Another monster is already part of this experience, but tend to value their candles above all else.

If you can guess what game I'm on about you'll know these two answers. I'm stuck on my last two personally. 
The 4 regular turtles thing I can't figure out yet... Or the quest system is broken.

EDIT: Nevermind, system isn't 'broken'. It's just extremely picky and a certain *** + Monster combination doesn't give a positive... Odd if you ask me. I would've nailed this monster 24 hours ago if it weren't that goddamn picky.

#4 Posted by JokerSmilez (1293 posts) -

Monster Mash

Fire BAD
Hammer Smash
#5 Posted by cluto (67 posts) -

1. Prefers to slide around Dragon Quest
2. This Dungeons and Dragons creature might bug the hell out of you
3. Wagon
4. World of Warcraft has a lot of monsters, and this dawg is no exception
5. Midget elf

#6 Posted by NoXious (1338 posts) -

Does anyone have any more clues on the second monster? As a massive D&D fan I'm frustrated as hell >.<

#7 Posted by EpicSteve (6470 posts) -

I'm still not getting #1, it's not Slime or anything.

#8 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -
@EpicSteve: there are 2 slime pages one says monster at the end
#9 Posted by NoXious (1338 posts) -
@EpicSteve:
Yea it's really stupid... 5 pages meaning the same type of monster yet a very specific page only gives it.
#10 Posted by raidingkvatch (1149 posts) -
@EpicSteve:  I you still haven't got #1 just try and go through every page for what you're thinking because you are right but as has been mentioned there a few different pages and only one of them counts.

Also AAAAARGH! Still can't get #2!
#11 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

#1 Dragon Quest has these all over the place in many varieties
 #2 This one is so ridiculous and hard I don't know how to give a good enough hint without giving it away...  It's two living things put together in one word.
#3 Some would argue that it is the age of them.
#4  Think Warcraft, they like to mine and love their candles
#5 Green, pointy-nosed, mischievous.

#12 Posted by raidingkvatch (1149 posts) -
@xobballox:  don't suppose you could give me an idea of what games #2 might be found in
#13 Edited by AndrewB (7452 posts) -
@xobballox:  #2 is totally not a cliche creature, considering I've only ever seen them in one line of RPGs. You have to be a pen-and-paper role-playing nerd to get that one.

The hint at the question itself is a little misleading, at least on a Video Game site.

Also, the only one I need now is the first part of the Hammer Smash.
#14 Posted by NoXious (1338 posts) -
@xobballox:
For some reason all I can think of when #2 is presented like that is stuff like Giant & *, but I take it it's two living beings that are real and not fairy tales?
With the "It might bug you out".... Beetles? Ugh I'm at a loss.
#15 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@AndrewB: For Hammer Smash, the first part hint:

It sounds like a lord of the rings character who has a dear love for a circular object. 
#16 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@raidingkvatch: @NoXious: It's two creatures in one word, one is a word for an insect, another is a large mammal that lives in the forest/woods.  I've never encountered one in all my days of gaming, so I don't know of a game with them in it.  (Delete this if it's too big of a clue)
#17 Posted by TheAdmin (710 posts) -

These are insane. I got it - but why would you leave off the more common ones? No Skeleton? Seriously?  or undead? 

#18 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

In Wind Waker NUMBER 5 is called a  

Bokoblin 

#19 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@xobballox said:
" #1 Dragon Quest has these all over the place in many varieties  #2 This one is so ridiculous and hard I don't know how to give a good enough hint without giving it away...  It's two living things put together in one word. #3 Some would argue that it is the age of them. #4  Think Warcraft, they like to mine and love their candles #5 Green, pointy-nosed, mischievous. "
Hey can you tell us what the pages are (concepts, characters, etc)? 

That'll help us with the finicky search engine....
#20 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@Kyreo: They're all concepts I believe.
#21 Posted by RobotHamster (4170 posts) -

I still can't figure out #4, and I can't figure out the method of destruction for red hot, HELLLPPPP!

#22 Posted by AndrewB (7452 posts) -
@Kyreo:  That's Fire Bad, not Hammer Smash.
#23 Posted by JackiJinx (3089 posts) -

I just got the second one in Monster Mash. I've never seen one of those in an RPG. I'm disappointed as there are much, much bigger clichés. Where's the obnoxiously huge bug representation?

#24 Posted by NoXious (1338 posts) -
@RobotHamster:
#4 sounds a lot like the 27th element we humans have discovered.
#25 Edited by AndrewB (7452 posts) -

Forget it... I could either spend time trying to get magical Giant Bomb achievements, or I could actually play a game from a catalog of old games calling to me.

The whole idea of asking for more hints on the forums totally breaks the achievement aspect of it, anyway.

#26 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@AndrewB said:
" @xobballox:  #2 is totally not a cliche creature, considering I've only ever seen them in one line of RPGs. You have to be a pen-and-paper role-playing nerd to get that one.  The hint at the question itself is a little misleading, at least on a Video Game site.  Also, the only one I need now is the first part of the Hammer Smash. "
Hint: Its a DLC for Dragon Age when first released. And second is in the title.
#27 Edited by NoXious (1338 posts) -
@AndrewB:
If you were playing a D&D game - they would be considered 'Constructs'. Preferred Mage pets.

EDIT: And this #2 in Monster Mash is breaking my balls. I've gotten a lot of clues (even through PM's) and I still can't crack the code.
For someone that has been through a Monster Compendium for D&D games and even DM'ed a bunch of NWN games, this monster is definitely not a cliche.
#28 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I still can't figure out #2. I play D&D. But I can't think of 2 common creatures in one name.

#29 Posted by Terra1909 (312 posts) -
@NoXious:
I just found #2 in wikipedia. It is not a cliche whatsoever. There are about a million more common monsters in video game RPGs.  

I would have made it undead, personally. C'mon, what other monsters do you usually heal to kill.
#30 Edited by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@iplaygames said:

" @NoXious: I just found #2 in wikipedia. It is not a cliche whatsoever. There are about a million more common monsters in video game RPGs.   I would have made it undead, personally. C'mon, what other monsters do you usually heal to kill. "

I just found it too. I seriously have not seen this anywhere. Maybe once in D&D. If they can say the flying lizard are a cliche then they can also say skeletons, ogres, elementals, or Gnomes are cliche's.
#31 Posted by FateOfNever (1809 posts) -

I don't know how well most people know their Breath of Fire games, but another hint for #2 would be that - In Breath of Fire 2, this creature can be found in TagWoods on the way Baba's hut.

#32 Edited by NoXious (1338 posts) -

Dude, just got pointed at #2. It's not a cliche, but it's definitely a D&D monster. Hell, it has skins/soundsets for it in Neverwinter Nights.
If you've got #4 and #5, #2 will make sense! It is considered to be of the same "family" and pretty much use the same social structure.

Thank you all for the tips! Especially iplaygames.

#33 Edited by Victor018 (173 posts) -

just found #2 as well. It was bugging me so much that I couldn't bear it anymore!

#34 Posted by ALTF4_FOR_COLORS (140 posts) -

I don't know how much help this will be but there's an enemy type in Demon's Souls whose name is the  inverse of the same two creature names .

#35 Posted by Ariketh (606 posts) -

Wow, really? Outside of D&D-related products, I have never heard it.

My only advice is this: I know it may bug you, but bear with it and you will get it.

#36 Posted by supalink (165 posts) -
@NoXious said:
" @RobotHamster:#4 sounds a lot like the 27th element we humans have discovered. "
This is a great clue. Thanks.
#37 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -
@NoXious said:
" @RobotHamster:#4 sounds a lot like the 27th element we humans have discovered. "
How the hell would someone know what that is? XD
#38 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

Just need #1 and #4 now

#39 Posted by TMThomsen (2070 posts) -

Added an alias to #2's page which should make it easier to find (Before the creature's name was spelled in a single-word only).

#40 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@girdz said:
" Just need #1 and #4 now "
you'll need to be bold if you want to get number 4
#41 Posted by Shadow (4977 posts) -
@Victor018 said:
" just found #2 as well. It was bugging me so much that I couldn't bear it anymore! "
...subtle
#42 Posted by Shadow (4977 posts) -

Finally got it all.  This quest was stupid.  I mean #2?  Come on.

#43 Edited by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -

So i finally completed the set...this set made me angry, it was stuck in the 80/90's!

The Hammer Smash and Fire BAD ones annoyed me...because the answers seemed in the wrong places to me, i almost thought it was a glitch.

#44 Posted by mjk1 (205 posts) -
@Shadow said:
" @Victor018 said:
" just found #2 as well. It was bugging me so much that I couldn't bear it anymore! "
...subtle "

thank you very much.
#45 Posted by SilentCommando (579 posts) -

Anyone have any hints for #1? It's the last one I need

#46 Edited by FydrusZA (14 posts) -

Any more clues on #2?  It's driving me up the wall. 

EDIT: Got it thanks to a couple of clues in this thread. Having said that, I've never heard of these things in my life...

#47 Edited by NickL (2246 posts) -
#4 is driving me crazy... the fact that i don't play alot of "traditional" rpgs isn't helping

edit: i just got it by clicking through the concepts pages on a game that has been mentioned in the topic. 
#48 Edited by kagekage (704 posts) -

WTF IS NUMBER FOUR?!?!? 
I HONESTLY DON'T GET IT..... 
HINTS??? 

NVM, just got it... God 2 and 4 was a BITCH. 
BTW, if you wanna get 4, you'll have to be kool and bold. :) (yes, kool is spelled like that on purpose hint hint.)

#49 Posted by ResidentGangster (11 posts) -

Number two took me forever to figure out. As a hint adding on to the previous ones I would recommend you search just one of the terms and look for the monster, once you do that it becomes very obvious. I think they called it a cliche because how ridiculous idea it was not because its super common.

#50 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -
@kagekage said:
" WTF IS NUMBER FOUR?!?!? I HONESTLY DON'T GET IT..... HINTS???  NVM, just got it... God 2 and 4 was a BITCH. BTW, if you wanna get 4, you'll have to be kool and bold. :) (yes, kool is spelled like that on purpose hint hint.) "
If you play WOW these guys hate it if you steal candles