Posted by Trace (3556 posts) -

I don't have a PlayStation 3, unfortunately, so I can't experience the joy that LittleBigPlanet has undoubtedly brought to many a Sony console owner. I have to admit that the trailers with that song that sounds like yowling cats does a great job showing off LBP's creative versatility, though. It looks like a neat game!

How about we bring some of that Play. Create. Share. Enjoy. Whatever love into quests, then? I have an idea for a little forum game everyone can play along with! It's part of this MMORPG genre I thought up: Massively Multiplayer Online Racing Per Graphs.

Introducing...the results!

Final Race Update, AKA The Little Guys Final Progress
Look, the race is over! It was a point-to-point affair, and that yellow line at the top was the finish line. I know the racing area seems kind of barren, but I was going for a sort of MotorStorm kind of map, where you can choose your own path. It went over well in focus testing, which basically consisted of showing it to my cat and assuming her reluctance to bite my hand was an approval of sorts.

The red line is our adversary, Rasputin Von Reddington! He's an evil oil baron who turned to racing as a hobby to take his mind off of his vast riches. Why, he's so arrogant, he'll take the longest path to the finish! It's almost as if his red line is a pace we need to exceed to succeed. Grr, he's such a bad guy! Successful, but bad.

The green line is us! We're the good guys, and we're all driving at once! I told you this was an MMO, didn't I? Our vehicle is called the Greenie McSoylent. Why? It's made of people! Specifically, the McSoylent heads more directly to the finish line as more people quickly complete The Little Guys quest set. That almost sounds like the green line is our current progress over time! Amazing, if true. Unfortunately, as you can see, it decided to take a trip over Failure Ridge into Screwedville.

Damn you, Von Reddington! DAMN YOU! We'll show him one day. For now, though, someone should probably clean up the orphanage he burned down. We should also look into getting a new girlfriend to replace the one he stole. Oh, and we might not want to tell PETA what he did to those puppies. Don't want to get anyone mad at us.

Here's the final statistics:
  • Rasputin von Reddington won the race in 106.3 hours! Talk about a long endurance race. Even GT5 isn't crazy enough to have a race that long!
  • The Greenie McSoylent gained 122 quest set completions over the last 27 hours or so, which is about a 16% drop-off from yesterday. It fell short of its fuel target by 597 people. How sad.
  • Overall, we needed a pace of 28.24 completions per hour to beat dastardly old Reddington.
  • Instead, our lovely green vehicle achieved an average pace of 22.6 completions per hour. In the last 2.5 hours, it was closer to 2.9 completions per hour. Needless to say, we went sailing off a cliff.
  • If this most recent pace kept up, we'd need another 8.5 days to catch up Rasputin Von Reddington and tell him what a jerk he is.
  • Here's the comparison against previous quests:
    Quest Comparison as of The Little Guys
  • As you can see, The Little Guys is probably the worst-performing community quest out of any set with a decent initial surge to date. It's a bit unfortunate, but we'll bounce back.
  • Our Win/Loss record is 9-7 since I started tracking these quests, and...is this right? I think it's 11-11 overall. If so, that's pretty damn cool. Maybe not for our bonus XP needs, but otherwise, I appreciate a nice, even balance like that.

So, Rasputin Von Reddington crapped that happy ending up, shut down the orphanage, stole the beautiful girl, kicked the box full of adorable puppies into the river, and detonated the WMD over Wichita. He's kind of a jerk. Regardless, I hope you enjoyed reading, and I'll be back for the next community quest.

If you have any questions, requests, criticisms, or concerns, feel free to let me know in this thread! If your concern or criticism somehow involves this horrible backstory I've written, then trust me: I already know, and I'm so sorry. 
#1 Edited by Trace (3556 posts) -

I don't have a PlayStation 3, unfortunately, so I can't experience the joy that LittleBigPlanet has undoubtedly brought to many a Sony console owner. I have to admit that the trailers with that song that sounds like yowling cats does a great job showing off LBP's creative versatility, though. It looks like a neat game!

How about we bring some of that Play. Create. Share. Enjoy. Whatever love into quests, then? I have an idea for a little forum game everyone can play along with! It's part of this MMORPG genre I thought up: Massively Multiplayer Online Racing Per Graphs.

Introducing...the results!

Final Race Update, AKA The Little Guys Final Progress
Look, the race is over! It was a point-to-point affair, and that yellow line at the top was the finish line. I know the racing area seems kind of barren, but I was going for a sort of MotorStorm kind of map, where you can choose your own path. It went over well in focus testing, which basically consisted of showing it to my cat and assuming her reluctance to bite my hand was an approval of sorts.

The red line is our adversary, Rasputin Von Reddington! He's an evil oil baron who turned to racing as a hobby to take his mind off of his vast riches. Why, he's so arrogant, he'll take the longest path to the finish! It's almost as if his red line is a pace we need to exceed to succeed. Grr, he's such a bad guy! Successful, but bad.

The green line is us! We're the good guys, and we're all driving at once! I told you this was an MMO, didn't I? Our vehicle is called the Greenie McSoylent. Why? It's made of people! Specifically, the McSoylent heads more directly to the finish line as more people quickly complete The Little Guys quest set. That almost sounds like the green line is our current progress over time! Amazing, if true. Unfortunately, as you can see, it decided to take a trip over Failure Ridge into Screwedville.

Damn you, Von Reddington! DAMN YOU! We'll show him one day. For now, though, someone should probably clean up the orphanage he burned down. We should also look into getting a new girlfriend to replace the one he stole. Oh, and we might not want to tell PETA what he did to those puppies. Don't want to get anyone mad at us.

Here's the final statistics:
  • Rasputin von Reddington won the race in 106.3 hours! Talk about a long endurance race. Even GT5 isn't crazy enough to have a race that long!
  • The Greenie McSoylent gained 122 quest set completions over the last 27 hours or so, which is about a 16% drop-off from yesterday. It fell short of its fuel target by 597 people. How sad.
  • Overall, we needed a pace of 28.24 completions per hour to beat dastardly old Reddington.
  • Instead, our lovely green vehicle achieved an average pace of 22.6 completions per hour. In the last 2.5 hours, it was closer to 2.9 completions per hour. Needless to say, we went sailing off a cliff.
  • If this most recent pace kept up, we'd need another 8.5 days to catch up Rasputin Von Reddington and tell him what a jerk he is.
  • Here's the comparison against previous quests:
    Quest Comparison as of The Little Guys
  • As you can see, The Little Guys is probably the worst-performing community quest out of any set with a decent initial surge to date. It's a bit unfortunate, but we'll bounce back.
  • Our Win/Loss record is 9-7 since I started tracking these quests, and...is this right? I think it's 11-11 overall. If so, that's pretty damn cool. Maybe not for our bonus XP needs, but otherwise, I appreciate a nice, even balance like that.

So, Rasputin Von Reddington crapped that happy ending up, shut down the orphanage, stole the beautiful girl, kicked the box full of adorable puppies into the river, and detonated the WMD over Wichita. He's kind of a jerk. Regardless, I hope you enjoyed reading, and I'll be back for the next community quest.

If you have any questions, requests, criticisms, or concerns, feel free to let me know in this thread! If your concern or criticism somehow involves this horrible backstory I've written, then trust me: I already know, and I'm so sorry. 
#2 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

Quest stats? It's been so long I don't even know what to do with them anymore.  
Oh yea. 
3000 OR BUST!!! GIANTBOMB GO!

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Wait, can't you get your stats from the official Giant Bomb thing the staff gave you some time ago or whatever? You know, the one that lists each individual user in order of completion, so you know who to hate for beating you to the #1 spot?

#4 Posted by Trace (3556 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:
" Wait, can't you get your stats from the official Giant Bomb thing the staff gave you some time ago or whatever? You know, the one that lists each individual user in order of completion, so you know who to hate for beating you to the #1 spot? "
Right now, I can get 12-hour completion intervals and an up-to-date list of all the users that have completed the quest from those stats. It's handy for pulling together historical data and some other info, but for live quests, I prefer my arcane "watch the counter" method, which has its obvious pitfalls.
#5 Posted by SoylentGreen (255 posts) -

We seem to be doing well so far, but I'd guess that the completion rate will slack off a little after a day or so. I might be wrong, but the quests related to quick looks don't seem to finish very quickly.

Also, Greenie McSoylent is an awesome name for that line.

#6 Posted by wrathofconn (1463 posts) -

Whatever it was that created the need in your mind for a meta-story on top of the already meta nature of quest stats, it clearly needs to continue.

#7 Posted by Trace (3556 posts) -
@SoylentGreen said:
" We seem to be doing well so far, but I'd guess that the completion rate will slack off a little after a day or so. I might be wrong, but the quests related to quick looks don't seem to finish very quickly.  Also, Greenie McSoylent is an awesome name for that line. "
I know it's a bit belated to say this, but the moment I saw your username and the notification you had replied to this thread...well, my heart may have skipped a few beats. Whether it was trepidation or excitement, I dare not reveal.

That said! For everyone, the stats and graphs are updated. Our progress and growth remained relatively stable today, and while that's a good thing, it might also be a sign of an imminent downturn. Typically we'd like to be exceeding the necessary pace a little more vigorously than this, but victory is still very, very possible. I won't copy the stats down here like I typically do, since there's really no reason to save them for historical purposes, but know that we need to keep maintaining this pace. The Little Guys is mirroring the growth of Post Apocalyptic Vacation right now, and that quest set started going south about 31-37 hours in.

Hopefully SoylentGreen won't be right about the Greenie McSoylent slacking off, but who would know better than him? Honestly, I just wanted an excuse to use both names in a sentence. Keep pushing, everyone! I'll have another update tomorrow around this time.
#8 Posted by gaffyh (174 posts) -

struggling to find one of the quest items.... the one for the level close to hell
#9 Posted by slowbird (1710 posts) -
@gaffyh:  it's the biggest little town in nevada, if that helps.
#10 Posted by OldGuy (1557 posts) -

Looking at the completion rate now (and taking into account the fact that [while the Quick Look IS the link from the quest doohickey <technical term -- I work with tech, so I know these things {there, NOW I've run out of parenthetical makers so I should dig myself out here} -- > ] Quick Look quests DO have a harder time -- and this is an OLD quicklook <do we think that maybe they should include the new QL of LBP2 as an alternate option {I'm doing it again, I should stop} > -- ) I'm pessimistic that we can steal all the points from The Baron (and I use "all the points advisedly here)...

Note the wording on the front page: "The first 3,000 users complete this set by January 23rd will be awarded a bonus 1,000 XP! Start your little journey by watching this big quicklook."

I realize that there is a "to" missing in there (and, frankly) I don't want to take the steam out of the race, but I think that maybe we just might get our bonus points even if we don't get 3000 people into our feast...

#11 Edited by Trace (3556 posts) -
@OldGuy said:

" Note the wording on the front page: "The first 3,000 users complete this set by January 23rd will be awarded a bonus 1,000 XP! Start your little journey by watching this big quicklook."

I realize that there is a "to" missing in there (and, frankly) I don't want to take the steam out of the race, but I think that maybe we just might get our bonus points even if we don't get 3000 people into our feast... "

Shhhhh. (I noticed that too, but it's more fun to consider it an all-or-nothing challenge, so I'm willfully ignoring it.)

Anyways, new graph and stats are up. Indeed, things have gone south. While I'm not ready to declare that we're completely boned, we're probably completely boned. I'll spare the finger-pointing blame game of what caused this downfall, but the completion rate's completely tanked over the last 24 hours, as I was hinting might have happened.

Not exactly a trend that's fun to predict in advance, but completion drop-offs happen almost every day during a community quest. I'll be back tomorrow to confirm our impending and unfortunate doom.

EDIT: New graph and stats are up for the 22nd. Things are just as bad as yesterday. Failure is almost certain. I'll have the final update tomorrow.
#12 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5425 posts) -

Nooooooooooooo

#13 Posted by Trace (3556 posts) -

Wellp, the quest is essentially over, everyone. Final quest stats and graphs are up.

As you can see, we lost. Rasputin Von Reddington won. Let's check on the Greenie McSoylent and see if we can finish in the spirit of good compet-

R.I.P. Greenie McSoylent: 2010 - 2010
...oh no. The poor car. It's ruined. It's...oh, man, that's awful. Maybe...well, maybe the orphanage is still OK, right? Maybe the children will understand how badly we l-
The Orphanage! No!
Curses! Rasputin Von Reddington had it demolished with his vast winnings of bonus XP! Does his evil know no bounds?!? Oh, and the poor puppies he kicked into the river. What a terrible outcome for those poor, innocent creatures... wait, what's that over there?
Gasp! Some puppies survived!
D'awwww! Some of the puppies made it out of the box and swam to shore! C'mere, you little adorable scamps! Who's a cute puppy? Who's a c-...hey, are those missiles in the a-
PUPPIES NOOOOO

DAMN YOU, RASPUTIN VON REDDINGTON! DAMN YOOOOU!

Well, I guess there's only one thing left to do: Pretend none of this ever happened and tackle the next community quest set anew. I'll have stats for you when that time comes around, but until then, thanks for paying attention to this tremendously silly thread.
#14 Posted by guthwulf (251 posts) -

Lol. This was even better than the other ones. Love the "story" you invented. Too bad we failed again, though.

#15 Posted by eloj (497 posts) -

Can't get the "Its The Little Things" to unlock. Let the 60min LBP2 QL stream and nothing.

Same thing with "The Truth" which is supposed to be the AC:B QL (50min). Also, nothing.

Soooo... giving up questing.

#16 Posted by Trace (3556 posts) -
@eloj: Playing the wrong videos is a common (and frustrating) issue with those quests. In both cases, I believe the QLs that cover the "beta" versions are what actually trip the quest trigger, since the QLs you watched either came out after or right before the quest set's inception.
#17 Edited by Brackynews (4083 posts) -

Peeeeopllllllle.. c'monnnnnnn... I so close to level 29....
Lots of giving up because of the triggering issues, I guess. Floaty, very floaty. ;)

#18 Posted by wrathofconn (1463 posts) -
@PsEG said:
"
PUPPIES NOOOOO

"
Hopefully Rorie doesn't see this thread!
#19 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Sums up our quest for XP
#20 Posted by RVonE (4638 posts) -

So we're actually not going to make it? That sucks.
#21 Posted by wrathofconn (1463 posts) -
@RVonE said:
" So we're actually not going to make it? That sucks. "
We were already dead.
#22 Posted by RVonE (4638 posts) -
@wrathofconn said:
" @RVonE said:
" So we're actually not going to make it? That sucks. "
We were already dead. "

#23 Posted by Daniel (1523 posts) -

This thread was hilarious