Posted by Garksa (6 posts) -

As an achievement hunter, I feel manipulated to start using this website because of it's achievement system... but it worked like a charm and now I like this website. For shame. On myself. Or them. Not sure.

#1 Posted by Garksa (6 posts) -

As an achievement hunter, I feel manipulated to start using this website because of it's achievement system... but it worked like a charm and now I like this website. For shame. On myself. Or them. Not sure.

#2 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

Welcome, Duder! Try not to get too invested in the quest system right now, as the guys have been too busy to update it in the past year or so. Hopefully they get back to it by next year.

#3 Posted by PoisonousParrot (4 posts) -

Indeed, the achievement system is one of the reasons why I decided to make an account. In fact, this comment should get me the Scientific Breakthrough achievement.

#4 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror said:

Welcome, Duder! Try not to get too invested in the quest system right now, as the guys have been too busy to update it in the past year or so. Hopefully they get back to it by next year.

Sounds like it wont make it into Giantbomb 3.0

#5 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@ShadowConqueror said:

Sounds like it wont make it into Giantbomb 3.0

Yeah, I hadn't been paying attention to it much so I wasn't sure whether they planned on getting back to it or not.

#6 Posted by Garksa (6 posts) -

Are they updating it or phasing it out entirely?

#7 Edited by ApolloBob (570 posts) -

Last time I fiddled with the quest system I wasn't getting quest credit for watching Starcraft II videos, and I just figured it was broken. Haven't really given it much thought since. But enjoy what you can while you can - at this point it looks like it was an idea with ambition that outreached resources.

(PS - I just got credit towards a quest by replying in your thread)

#8 Posted by Garksa (6 posts) -

Hmm. If they're phasing it out, I don't want to spend any effort working on it. But if they're just updating it, then I'm fine with that.

Why is it websites always mention stuff and then never get around to it?

#9 Posted by commonoutlier (136 posts) -

As someone who's lurked on the site for the past few months and finally got around to joining/participating, the quests certainly caught my eye. Some of the quests I think are pretty clever, or at least it gets me to look around at pages I might not otherwise, but man do they make me obsessive compulsive...I wouldn't mind not having them, they weren't the main reason I joined...although I suppose like all achievements, in some capacity I like the pat on the back.

#10 Posted by mosespippy (4183 posts) -

@Garksa said:

Hmm. If they're phasing it out, I don't want to spend any effort working on it. But if they're just updating it, then I'm fine with that.

Why is it websites always mention stuff and then never get around to it?

Resources. The interns used to make the quests and then in the new year the internships ended. Then in March the site was bought and the people who built the site had to begin the process of completely rebuilding the website. Hence we haven't gotten a new quest since Christmas. If they weren't busy rebuilding the site, or had interns to add new quests, then the quest system would be updated more often.

I've been a member since day one but the broken nature of the site when it launched kept me away until they added the quest system. I'd be sad to see it go.

#11 Edited by stalefishies (332 posts) -

I don't really care much about the quest system. I mean, it's cool I guess, but I don't really have strong feelings either way.

However, one thing I do have strong opinions about the First! quest because it is the stupidest thing ever and I have no idea why you've kept that abomination this long. It's managed to take assholes who fight for the first comments and make them not only legitimate, but now they're there on every single piece of content that goes up on Giant Bomb now. It was such, such a bad idea.

Though, I suppose without it I wouldn't be able to get on my high horse and say I've been on several commentless videos and thought to myself 'You know, I won't be that asshole'.

EDIT - oh hey, I got that quest for posting in a new user's thread. Neat?

#12 Posted by mosespippy (4183 posts) -

@stalefishies: There would be people rushing for first post on all pieces of content anyway. With the First! quest not activating when people say first it at least mixes up the first posts to be something different. Plus most people who get first post edit it afterwards to make it a real comment.

#13 Edited by stalefishies (332 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

@stalefishies: There would be people rushing for first post on all pieces of content anyway. With the First! quest not activating when people say first it at least mixes up the first posts to be something different. Plus most people who get first post edit it afterwards to make it a real comment.

Except the first stuff only normally comes on popular content, where it's actually hard to get the first comment. On more obscure videos where there will be fewer comments, nobody cares about the first comment - except for now this quest means those videos are the ones that get specifically targeted for the first post quest because of that very reason.

Also, sure, the first post often does get edited. But there's normally a bunch of comments from people who tried to get it, and a whole bunch of videos now have a stupid comment of something like

Ooh, new quick look?

EDIT - Damnit, so close!

Also, while I'm getting disproportionately angry over something petty, you know what's even worse than inane first comments? Those ones which go something like

@BeingAnAssholeForTheQuest said:

aasdjkljk

Great comment there.

YEAH BECAUSE YOUR COMMENT WAS SO MUCH MORE RELEVANT TO THE PIECE OF CONTENT WASN'T IT

REAL GOOD JOB THERE

I HATE EVERYTHING EVER ABOUT THAT STUPID QUEST

ALSO PUTTING QUOTES IN MANUALLY IN THIS EDITOR IS REALLY BAD TOO

#14 Posted by Rayeth (1043 posts) -

I sometimes wish they would add new quests again. I guess they are waiting on the redesign?

#15 Posted by eccentrix (1553 posts) -

Even if they don't add many or any more quests, I don't think they'd get rid of them, unless there was something in the back end that made it incompatible with the new design.

#16 Posted by AndyMP (226 posts) -

I used to enjoy the quests. It was a neat, interactive way of engaging visitors like myself that no other videogame site has ever done (that I've seen).

#17 Posted by Rohay (65 posts) -

i enjoy it use it now mostly to learn things i had no idea what a commodore 64 was till i joined this site but now i know