#1 Edited by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

Hey all, I figured I'd compile all the hints that I've been given and have created for the various quests. These are for the "find this page" kinds of quests, not the "do this many actions" kinds of quests. I'll try to keep this updated as we go. If any of the clues are too obvious, mods, please feel free to edit or remove as necessary. Good luck!

QUEST SET: GLOBE-TROTTER (6 quests)

Quest 1: Rumble in the Jungle (3 parts)
1) It doesn't really have fun and games.
2) Jeff has an unhealthy fascination with this game. It's been included in a recent Quick Look that involved several different games.
3) This game showcases some very strange creatures that are named all wrong, and have developed truly bizarre uses for what we'd normally regard as kegs.

Quest 2: Liquid Hot Something Something (3 parts)
1) Sometimes, in a game, you'll find an area that has this, a substance which uses two different names depending on where it is found. Such an area is appropriately named.
2) I can tell this picture is photoshopped from the pixels. It's total, absolute garbage. Somebody really ought to destroy it with a gun.
3) Medieval tournaments showcased this test of skill, a strange exhibition of stabbing, ramming, and equine mastery.

Quest 3: It's a Dry Heat (3 parts)
1) Where is it dry?
2) This game hasn't yet been adapted in such a manner that Ryan has to do a TANG, but it will be soon.
3) I was walkin' down the street when out the corner of my eye........ (the band is Cage the Elephant, which may or may not help)

Quest 4: Ice Ice Baby (3 parts)
1) Sometimes, in a game, you'll find an area that has this, a substance that exhibits the odd property of having a lower density in its solid state than it does in its liquid state. Such an area is appropriately named.
2) This game title has two words, which almost rhyme. Given the theme, and the fact that the title is closely related to the Mario Brothers tagline, you should have a shot.
3) A man who endeavors to ascend a great mountain made of frozen material would be given this two word description.

Quest 5: Don't Forget to Breathe (3 parts)
1) Where would you run out of air?
2) This stupidly huge body of water goes on without end.
3) This one is nasty. What happens when a fair lady faints because you are so damn charming? She [][][][][]s, right? Replace one consonant with an adjacent consonant on your keyboard, and you have the answer. 

Quest 6: The Final Frontier (7 parts)
1) It's the final frontier. Don't make me punch you, you can get this one.
2) These stupid gaseous space balls are just running wild. I really wish we could find a way to restrain them. Twice, if necessary.
3) So I killed the guy, but I'm afraid his Spectre is haunting me now.
4) Colossal hunks of fragmented celestial bodies? In my galaxy? It's more likely than you might think. Scan now.
5) It's like if Lynard Skynard got really drunk when writing their 14 minute hit, and they were so wasted that they replaced the second word with space, because they were SO SPACED. Helpful, huh?
                                               6) I'm so 1337 it blows my mind.
                                                             7) You need to go into the final frontier on a long, dangerous journey to accomplish some ill-defined goals. Sounds like you're embarking on a [][][][][] [][][][][].

QUEST SET: HEARING VOICES (5 quests)

Quest 1: Due North (4 parts)
1) This handsome devil never takes "No." for an answer. As is evidenced by the fact that he's in LIKE EVERY GODDAMN GAME.
2) Hey man, check out my new dog! Oh, oh, oh shit, sorry, no! Stop, Rover! Bad dog! Naughty dog!
3) Everything is true, nothing is permitted. Wait.....
4) ARGH. This rather large, sprawling facility has so many areas that have inadequate lighting!

Quest 2: Charles in Charge (2 parts)
1) This character only says, like, three things. But we've all known and loved him for years. Except some blue-hedgehog fanboys, they probably hate him.
2) This person's last name is an unusual one. It refers to either a strict disciplinarian or a brutal instrument of flagellation.

Quest 3: A Handful of Gravel (2 parts)
1) The number of erect phallus jokes made with this character's full name grows by the day.
2) Haters gonna hayte.

Quest 4: By Her Power Combined (1 part)
1) Remember the actress who played the crazy psychic girl River Tam in Firefly? She shares a similar name with the person in question here.

Quest 5: Up and Atom (3 parts)
1) Where GNR ain't just a rock band anymore.
2) Though this actor has been through Hell and back, the poor boy wasn't spared the indignity of also starring in one of Uwe Boll's monstrosities.
3) WHERE'S MY DAUGHTER?

QUEST SET: GENERATION GAP  (5 quests)

Quest 1: The New Class (3 parts)
1) It's big, it's black, and uh.....what else do you need?
2) It works great, providing you can avoid the ring of fire.
3) I own it for the Golden Axe emulation, but supposedly it can do other things, too.

Quest 2: Battle Royale (4 parts)
1) A great old grandfather of the console lineage. Where would we be without it? 
2) In the Bible equivalent, God LAID DOWN THE LAW on poor ol' Adam. 
3) One system to rule them all. Well, not really, but it sure sounds like it.
4) So Norman eats shellfish?

Quest 3: Flash in the Pan (4 parts)
1) Hostiles in range in 20 seconds. Preparing to [][][][][][].
2) Two words what rhyme. 
3) It's three dimensional? Oh!
4) The graphics on display here are just superb. Look at how perfectly it can model liquid turbulence

Quest 4: Can I Get Some Quarters? (6 parts)
1) Where our forefathers wasted many a good phone call.
2) Before he was saving us from reptilian overlords, this "hero" debuted in this title, which bears his name.
3) It's all about gettin' those cherries, man.
4) You know, I heard these things give you warts. Or was that toads?
5) What's worse than a typical end-boss in a high-level D&D scenario? GODDAMN TWO OF THEM (I've been here before, it SUCKS)
                                   6) Yes, it truly is radical, dudes. 

Quest 5: Founding Fathers (6 parts)
1) The number 13.75, when subjected to a cubic power, results in a number which is approximately equal to another number of interest.
2) The worst game ever. Seriously. The internet can do the rest.
3) Featured in a multi-game Quick Look, this game is one of the strangest, hardest, and weirdest things to ever come out of the elder days. Also, pirate catchphrase.
4) A conflict that's not fought on solid ground, but on two other zones of engagement? I can barely see what you're trying to tell me.....
5) My goal is to find an implement that can be used to stab offending parties. I suppose you could say I'm on a mission to do so.
6) Your dual speaker setup SUCKS. Get some [][][][][][][][] sound up in here.

QUEST SET: MUSIC APPRECIATION 101 (7 quests)

Quest 1: The Man Behind the Monk Chants  (3 parts)
1) It's an Irish-y last name. And how do all Irish last names begin? Oh, Christ, figure it out yourselves. Also, his first name rhymes with a great activity that we all do every Friday night, because we're ANIMALS.
2) Before this series got popular by evolving the standards whereby we judge combat in FPSs, it still sucked. (HAH, flame shield on)
3) Jeff without shorts? That's a rumor. A misconception. A fairy tale. A misleading tale of lore. A [][][][].

Quest 2: The Final Composer (3 parts)
1)  I can't come up with any wordplay for this name. Just think for a second, don't let your mind wander into a stupid fantasy realm, and use Google intelligently. You'll find him.
2) Rearranging the answer to this one might help you find the next one. 
3) Rearranging the answer to this one might help you find the preceding one.

Quest 3: Beats of Rage (4 parts)
1) "DUDE I JUST ATE 40 TACOS."     "Oh, Frank, you so crazy."   (It's the best I can do, really. Use the web!)
2) ARGH. These byways, alleys, boulevards, avenues, and lanes are making me SO ANGRY. 
3) ARGH AGAIN, but now TWICE AS ANGRY.
4) You seen ACDC's new act? They just play Razor's Edge for 5 hours straight. Pretty baller.

Quest 4: Welcome to my Kondominium (3 parts)
1) The title is clearly misspelled. God that makes me mad. There better be a good reason for that.
2) A chain is only as strong as its weakest this.
3) They recently put "New" and "Wii" around this, and the result was a surprisingly fun game.

Quest 5: Soule Train (3 parts)
1) WHY DO THEY KEEP MISSPELLING THE TITLES
2) It ain't Baldur's Gate. It's colder, for one thing.....
3) I am going to entirely destroy you. Some might say you'll bear witness to entire destruction.

Quest 6: Everybody Loves Chris (3 parts)
1) Don't slam pinball machines around too much, or they'll blink the word [][][][] at you and shut down the paddles.
2) You could choose the white theme for Giantbomb.com, if you SUCK. Real men stick with the old-school theme.
3) I'd take you to my playground, but it was destroyed by a group of roving war criminals who perform deeds for money.

Quest 7: Hot for Kirk Hope (3 parts)
1) I'm going to email the crew about these poorly written titles. This has to stop.
2) Hey, I've got a great idea! Let's stuff a bunch of sweets in a container that somewhat resembles a pack animal and proceed to destroy it via violent blows from clubs!
3) He's a god. Seriously. You wish you were this man. Also, two thirds of the quest title might help you. I'm going to go back to ogling my sexy professor.

QUEST SET: RPG SCAVENGER (4 quests)

Quest 1: A Trip to the Sewers (1 part)
1) You dirty [][][]

Quest 2: Fire BAD (2 parts)
1) Sure, you could fight these things (making sure to use some acidic or incendiary attack for the final blow, unless you want to fight it again), but the Grey Wizard had a far better approach: let there be light.
2) What happens if the [][][][] goes out? Then we go across the street to Pottery Barn, and steal THEIR [][][][].

Quest 3: Hammer Smash (2 parts)
1) These terrors come in many varieties, and they share one common trait: they'll goddamn smash you (unless you can find the man behind the curtain)
2) STOP! 

Quest 4: Monster Mash (5 parts)
1) You wouldn't suspect that a pseudopod would hurt badly, until you get attacked by one of these disgusting creatures. Can you even really call them creatures?
2) Though not hemipterous, this ursine bears similarities with creatures that may be.
3) The "fly" variant is far less threatening.
4) These are bold little bastards, often stealing things from groups and generally being annoying little jerks.  
5) Ironically, your friendly neighborhood arachnid-humanoid fights villians bearing this monster's namesake all the time. 

QUEST SET:  FAMOUS FRIENDS (6 quests)   

Quest 1: Original Sim (1 part)
1) This man will always be right, no matter what. 

Quest 2: Changing the Game (1 part)
1) I couldn't find him, so I asked my friend Molly. Thankfully, she knew.

Quest 3: MISTER KOMBAT!!!!! (1 part)
1) This one is difficult to track down, but if you ask Ryan really nicely, he might tell you the answer. That sure would be a great favor. A real charitable act. A [][][][], if you will.

Quest 4: British Royalty (1 part)
1) This guy might be somewhat loopy, but that didn't stop him from being made a lord. I bet he rides around town in a rich old chariot

Quest 5: The Hooded Blazer (1 part)
1) If a common species of waterfowl were to lose its initial letter, you'd be left with a word that made no sense. Welcome to the answer.

Quest 6: The Most Important Man in the Video Game Industry (1 part)
1) Let his wisdom shine forth to guide us all.

QUEST SET: LEFTOVERS (5 quests)

Quest 1: The Eternal Struggle (2 parts)
1) Popeye's crony could NOT GET ENOUGH of these.
2) They may be gross, they may be sold on street corners, hell, they may be phallic, but DAMN they taste good.

Quest 2: Go Ask Alice (2 parts)
1) The hallucinogenic item that fuels the drug-crazed nightmares of our favorite pipe maintenance character.
2) Similarly hallucinogenic, this item tends to actually cause problems for our friend. His ego diminishes and he becomes but a fraction of his former self while under the influence.

Quest 3: Dinner's Ready (3 parts)
1) I like it like I like my women: bloody, wet, and red.
2) Again, phallic. Need I say more?
3) A circular covenant made between God and man. On the little known eighth day, God made this divine foodstuff, and he declared: "Let there be round." And as the toppings were applied, God smiled, and He knew it was DAMN good.

Quest 4: Balanced Breakfast (3 parts)
1) A fluid containing significant amounts of saturated fats, protein, calcium, and various vitamins.
2) Sonic's mortal foe
3) This long, curvy food comes wrapped in a protective sheath that one must undo prior to consumption.

Quest 5: Just Desserts (4 parts)
1) It better not be a lie. I want some.
2) If I were to take a pie from Mario, I'd have Mario's pie. If I were to take this other dessert from one of Mario's friends, I'd have......
3) It's round, empty in the middle, and a staple of bulls everywhere.
4) Though it comes in many variants, I'm a fan of the cream-based variety.

QUEST SET: BROKEN TOYS (3 quests)

Quest 1: My Eyes! (1 part)
1) A male child which exists exclusively in a digitized realm would be given this two word description. (and no, it's not "goddamn stupid")

Quest 2: A Double Shot of Robotic Disappointment (2 parts) 
1) What if a device used for measuring or maintaining orientation was combined with a floor-based cave formation?! (God, that's vague, sorry.)
2) You'll hear Marines say this as they are about to bust down a door.

Quest 3: Smell the Glove (1 part)
1) With great glove, comes great responsibility.
#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Shouldn't this be in the Quests board?

#3 Edited by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

Beat me to it, thanks RHCPfan24  :P

#4 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Moved this to Quests board, but, nice job. Good hints here.

#5 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -

Wow, This is great. I'm still confused on Water #3 though...(I'm not very smart)

#6 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@Absurd said:
" Wow, This is great. I'm still confused on Water #3 though...(I'm not very smart) "
I hope Square goes out of business soon.

Remember the first clue, too.
#7 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

Added in some more segments.

#8 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -

Yay, I finally got Globe Trotter. I'm #295; That's not as bad as I expected.

#9 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@Absurd said:
" Yay, I finally got Globe Trotter. I'm #295; That's not as bad as I expected. "
there's a leaderboard?
#10 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" @Absurd said:
" Yay, I finally got Globe Trotter. I'm #295; That's not as bad as I expected. "
there's a leaderboard? "
Not sure if there's an official leaderboard, but once you complete a quest set it will say "#344" or something, meaning you're the 344th person on GB to complete that set.

It remains to be seen how we can get a good listing of everybody's relative positions......
#11 Edited by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:

" can you help me with 1 and 2 of kirk hope? "

I can't say much more than what I say in the above hints....

1) The titles of these quests usually have a clue embedded in them. Try looking at certain parts of the quest title "Hot for Kirk Hope". The GB search-bar is your friend!

2) What's a typical party thing-to-do? For small kids specifically? That involves hitting something?
#12 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" got it !!!!!!!!!!!!! now I need 2 of desserts a dessert that is not a cake pie cookie or dount or ice cream "
This one is tricky. It's not the same KIND of answer as the other three. The farthest I can really tell you is that one of the words in the answer is a dessert. But the thing itself, is not a dessert. The Mario buddy clue is pretty helpful for the other part of the answer.
#13 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" @emkeighcameron:  so it's not something you eat but it has the dessert in the name of the thing and it has something to do with mario? "
Pretty much exactly that, yes. You just have to guess the appropriate words. Keep in mind it's one of Mario's buddies (though he can't talk with him) and that the dessert part is one of the foods you mentioned earlier.
#14 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" @emkeighcameron:  so it's not something you eat but it has the dessert in the name of the thing and it has something to do with mario? "
Also, if you GB search JUST for the correct dessert, you'll see the correct answer really quickly in the drop-down quick search results.
#15 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

I got it 
oh my god I can't believe I figured that out

#16 Posted by JDUB_XL (460 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
It is an edible desert, but you can't eat it because it already belongs to a certain companion of Mario.
#17 Posted by supermike6 (3611 posts) -

I still can't get the most important man in the industry. Your clue makes less sense than theirs.

#18 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@supermike6 said:
" I still can't get the most important man in the industry. Your clue makes less sense than theirs. "
My clue is phonetical. Try to think of an abbreviated form of a name that might be associated with the study of numbers. If you can get that, the forest reference is almost unneeded.
#19 Edited by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@supermike6 said:

" I still can't get the most important man in the industry. Your clue makes less sense than theirs. "

Also, his shining wisdom should be an inspiration for us all.

That's way better. In fact I'm going to make that the official clue!
#20 Posted by SolGer360 (12 posts) -

Thank you Thank you for the help!!! 

#21 Edited by SmasheControllers (2552 posts) -

Amazing hints. Still need a better hint for the last Founding Fathers.

#22 Posted by CornBREDX (5830 posts) -
@SmashedControllers:
Theres a word missing from the clue.  
Also if that doesnt help, Tron had a sequence that was based on this original. Just dont go into the light, you might de-rez.
#23 Posted by StarFoxA (5162 posts) -

Some of these could use better hints. I can help out if you'd like, I have all of the "searching" quests as well.

#24 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" Some of these could use better hints. I can help out if you'd like, I have all of the "searching" quests as well. "
Sure, if anybody wants to either drop better hints here in this thread or PM me, I'll be happy to update.
#25 Posted by StarFoxA (5162 posts) -
@emkeighcameron said:
" @StarFoxA said:
" Some of these could use better hints. I can help out if you'd like, I have all of the "searching" quests as well. "
Sure, if anybody wants to either drop better hints here in this thread or PM me, I'll be happy to update. "
I'll try and think of hints; some are hard to hint without completely giving it away.
#26 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" @emkeighcameron said:
" @StarFoxA said:
Sure, if anybody wants to either drop better hints here in this thread or PM me, I'll be happy to update. "
I'll try and think of hints; some are hard to hint without completely giving it away. "
Cool. I've updated several of them as the list has grown, and yeah, some are really hard to help with  :/
#27 Posted by ozhenson (20 posts) -

Can anybody give me a little bit simpler clue for Battle Royale #2 and 4, the two in the first post are going straight over my head.

#28 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@ozhenson said:
" Can anybody give me a little bit simpler clue for Battle Royale #2 and 4, the two in the first post are going straight over my head. "
2) Origin. Beginning. Alpha. [][][][][][][].

4) the words in my first clue mean nothing (as you may have guessed). Only certain parts of the words matter.......
#29 Posted by cjcox (101 posts) -

Can you give another hint for Founding Fathers #5, it's the last one i need for the Generation Gap set. Thanks.  

And great thread btw, I would never have got a lot of these without the help of this thread.

#30 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@cjcox said:
" Can you give another hint for Founding Fathers #5, it's the last one i need for the Generation Gap set. Thanks.   And great thread btw, I would never have got a lot of these without the help of this thread. "
The answer is so stupidly simple that it's probably easy to overlook

I'm on a mission to find a slashing tool: summarize that in an appropriate pair of words, and try every answer that comes up in the search bar.
#31 Posted by AuthenticM (3788 posts) -

I want hints for the Limited Edition Secret quest. I've searched and searched and searched but to no avail.

#32 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@AuthenticM said:
" I want hints for the Limited Edition Secret quest. I've searched and searched and searched but to no avail. "
uhhhh you can't finish it anymore....it was limited  :(   (I got it though!)

the clues are related to the person who drew all the cool quest icons. very related
#33 Posted by AuthenticM (3788 posts) -
@emkeighcameron said:
" @AuthenticM said:
" I want hints for the Limited Edition Secret quest. I've searched and searched and searched but to no avail. "
uhhhh you can't finish it anymore....it was limited  :(   (I got it though!)  the clues are related to the person who drew all the cool quest icons. very related "
What? It says it's available until the 8th of May. Christ, how much time did we have to complete the quest?
#34 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -

ANCHOR

#35 Posted by buzz_clik (7014 posts) -

The answer to Ice, Ice Baby #2 is one of my favourite arcade games. This probably helps nobody.

#36 Edited by Glitch (55 posts) -

Can you give any more hints for the Soule Train?  I just can't seem to find who it is.

#37 Posted by cancerdancer (315 posts) -

Big ups on this post. Helped me knock out a few pesky quests.

#38 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -
@AuthenticM: 
It was either May 8th or the first 1000 people to get it.
#39 Posted by buzz_clik (7014 posts) -

Gawd, I'd never heard of the answer to Don't Forget To Breathe #3. Although the clue was dead on I was looking at my keyboard for ages, thinking I was wrong because there was no way that's how it could be spelled. I should have just tried it earlier. Cheers for the hint on that one!

#40 Edited by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@AuthenticM said:

" @emkeighcameron said:

" @AuthenticM said:
uhhhh you can't finish it anymore....it was limited  :(   (I got it though!)  the clues are related to the person who drew all the cool quest icons. very related "
What? It says it's available until the 8th of May. Christ, how much time did we have to complete the quest? "
Or until 1000 people had gotten it  :(

edit: oh Neoepoch beat me to it
#41 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@Glitch said:
" Can you give any more hints for the Soule Train?  I just can't seem to find who it is. "
ARGH YOU MISSPELLED IT, TOO

WHYYY
#42 Posted by Legend (2660 posts) -

I tried to do something similar to this, but my thread was sadly locked. :'( Hopefully, this one will survive. I fully support this idea.

#43 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@Legend said:
" I tried to do something similar to this, but my thread was sadly locked. :'( Hopefully, this one will survive. I fully support this idea. "
I appreciate the endorsement, and feel free to post (or PM me) better hints than the ones I've got up above.

We have to band together to thwart all those devious mods who are no doubt getting all the super rare mod-related quests! They'll never shut us down. NEVER, YOU HEAR M-

This thread has been locked.
#44 Posted by Legend (2660 posts) -
@emkeighcameron: LMAO! That was really funny.
#45 Posted by JeffTheBadger (21 posts) -
@emkeighcameron:  dude, this hints guide is awesome! some good clues that were almost as tricky as the questions themselves, high fives man. UP TOP!
#46 Posted by SmAsH (234 posts) -

I still can't get the 2nd one from the desserts quest. It is really annoying. Any better hints?

#47 Posted by Shirogane (3581 posts) -

1) The number of erect phallus jokes made with this character's full name grows by the day.       

First time i've actually ever heard one of those... 
Also, i would've gone with 
"War...war  has changed'  
#48 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -

The second part of Just Desserts is still driving me crazy.

#49 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@SmAsH said:
" I still can't get the 2nd one from the desserts quest. It is really annoying. Any better hints? "
This one is tricky. The answer is not the same kind of answer as the other 3 in this quest. It's an entirely different type of thing, so don't waste time looking in the same genre as the others.

Remember that the answer isn't Mario's thing. It's somebody else's thing. Somebody else's thing that's directly related to Mario. In fact, you might even say that that someone else was Mario's. For a while, at least, until he wasn't Mario's anymore. Sometimes he's Mario's for a little while, but he usually ends up running off before the end.
#50 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@SmAsH said:
" I still can't get the 2nd one from the desserts quest. It is really annoying. Any better hints? "
@Gearhead said:
" The second part of Just Desserts is still driving me crazy. "
Also, big tip:

If you guess the correct dessert which is related to this hint (and it's not a hard dessert to guess) and you type it in the search bar without hitting "Search", the answer will be one of the drop-down quick-search results.