What happened to the new game?

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

So there was a new Ratchet & Clank game announced last year but there's been no news on it since then. It was stated to be coming out in the first half of 2015 but we haven't seen a single piece of footage. Is there any particular reason why we've heard nothing about the game since last year? I recall reading that the movie would be using assets from the game and the movie first put out a trailer in 2013. Assuming that is footage from the movie (as opposed to footage just created for the trailer), that means the game was in development before the movie.

From what I could find on their forums, the game is apparently not in a state where footage could be released. I know Insomniac is not a large developer by any means but I really find it hard to believe the game is in such a state at this point in development. Surely by now most of the game should be finished, right?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's a remake of the first game not a new one.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

It's still a new game though, as in a new game coming out.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's a shame. I feel like they were heading in a great direction with Crack In Time. Now they're going back to the drawing board.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@corevi said:

It's not a remake of the first game; it follows the story of the movie that's slated to come out this year which retells the Ratchet/Clank/Qwark origin story.

As for OP: yeah, disappointed that we haven't seen anything yet. They were rumored to be showing footage at that Playstation Experience thing in December, but I guess that never materialized.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I had completely forgotten they even announced this. Maybe Sony forgot they did too. :p

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Man, I needa go back and play the original ratchet and clank games

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am of the unpopular opinion that the series peaked with Deadlocked. Not that the PS3 iterations are bad, because they're all great games too, but I though Deadlocked was the tightest in terms of mechanics, vehicle combat and weapon upgrades. In Deadlocked for the first time in the series, every weapon was awesome and useful and I spent a bunch of time getting them all maxed. Then in Tools of Destruction they introduced a bunch that were completely useless again (stupid six-axis!) I liked Into the Nexus enough, but it really was only half a R&C game and just made me want more, much like Quest for Booty which was more like an eighth of a R&C game. I really hope this new one is something special.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@corevi said:

It's not a remake of the first game; it follows the story of the movie that's slated to come out this year which retells the Ratchet/Clank/Qwark origin story.

It's a remake.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@corevi said:
@ajamafalous said:
@corevi said:

It's a remake.

Funny you would link that, because that's the exact article I re-referred to before I made my comment.

So it’s with great pride I get to announce that Insomniac will continue our involvement with the Ratchet & Clank movie while developing a game that re-imagines the original Ratchet & Clank for PS4.

As was mentioned during Sony’s press conference , the game will share the film’s vision of Ratchet’s origin story, and features updated gameplay along with completely new visuals that rival the best PS4 games on the market. Both the movie and game will be available in the first half of 2015.

re-imagine =/= remake/remaster. You could argue whether they meant what they said (I'm going to take their words literally because I assume they used the words they wanted to until proven otherwise), but, more to the point of the OP, as far as I know we haven't been shown any footage of the game or been given any other information to go on. My reading of that paragraph is that you could think of the game as a licensed movie tie-in game, not as a 'hey we remade R&C1 with new graphics in a new engine.'

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

It's kind of a movie game, so it might be terrible. Just keep that in mind.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

As for OP: yeah, disappointed that we haven't seen anything yet. They were rumored to be showing footage at that Playstation Experience thing in December, but I guess that never materialized.

The original announcement for the game said "expect to catch your first glimpse of the PS4 Ratchet & Clank game this fall". I think the Playstation Experience was going to be where they planned on showing off footage. Now why they changed their mind, that's what I'd like to know.

@turboman said:

It's kind of a movie game, so it might be terrible. Just keep that in mind.

Considering that they haven't shown any footage and won't even talk about the game, I'm expecting it to be terrible. It's generally not a good sign when a developer has no interest in talking about their game. In fact I'm not sure this game is actually coming out. It's not even up for pre-order yet it's supposed to come out this year. Also, anyone know why we don't have a page for this game? Should we have a page?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By GunstarRed

@sinusoidal: Deadlocked has aged a lot better than the first two games, but UYA is still the peak of the PS2 games. It has a lot of cool stuff that was unique to that game, like the cool spider tank and leveling all your weapons up to 99. It just lacks the charm and a fun story, which to me is a core part of the Ratchet experience. I would have loved another game like that in the place of the stupid tower defense game they put out.

Ha. When that guy announced the new game he might as well have shrugged his shoulders and said " There's a Ratchet remake coming... I guess" They seemed more interested in showing a trailer for the movie. Movie game or not it is made my Insomniac, and if it's the smaller team that made Nexus then that can only mean good things as that game was fantastic.

Also, almost nothing was shown of Nexus until they shit it out on the same day as a shiny new console. I'm not worried about them not showing anything yet.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By agentboolen

@turboman: my thoughts exactly lol.

but I am interested in seeing the movie though.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@ajamafalous said:

@corevi said:
@ajamafalous said:
@corevi said:

It's a remake.

Funny you would link that, because that's the exact article I re-referred to before I made my comment.

So it’s with great pride I get to announce that Insomniac will continue our involvement with the Ratchet & Clank movie while developing a game that re-imagines the original Ratchet & Clank for PS4.

As was mentioned during Sony’s press conference , the game will share the film’s vision of Ratchet’s origin story, and features updated gameplay along with completely new visuals that rival the best PS4 games on the market. Both the movie and game will be available in the first half of 2015.

re-imagine =/= remake/remaster. You could argue whether they meant what they said (I'm going to take their words literally because I assume they used the words they wanted to until proven otherwise), but, more to the point of the OP, as far as I know we haven't been shown any footage of the game or been given any other information to go on. My reading of that paragraph is that you could think of the game as a licensed movie tie-in game, not as a 'hey we remade R&C1 with new graphics in a new engine.'

What would be the difference though?

The term "remake" is vague enough that it supports both points: the HD collections versions that we are used to (restored/remastered being more appropriate), or the reimagining version we are used to from Hollywood (Criminal being a remake of Nueve Reinas)

On topic: I don't know anything about that game, but given how they handled Into the Nexus and Full Frontal Assault, I could definitely see them working on the game without much fanfare until the very week it is released...