Should REmake 2 have fixed cameras or over the shoulder aiming?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should REmake 2 have fixed cameras or over the shoulder aiming? (127 votes)

Fixed cameras, (old school RE style) 80%
Over the shoulder (RE4 aiming) 20%

REmake and RE0 came out before RE4 and still had those fixed camera angles with tank controls. Let's be honest, after RE4, tons of people would have trouble going back to that old style. (Not me. I fucking love it.)

Now, RE4 still had tank controls but had a massive overhaul with the revolutionary over the shoulder precision shooting style. The series has adopted that same style ever since. Now that Resident Evil 2 is getting a full remake, do you think they'd keep the classic camera angles and shooting or switch to over the shoulder? I'm a long time fan of the series and love both styles. The fixed camera angles are perfect for the early games and the over the shoulder angle is perfect for RE4.

I know what you're thinking, RE2 was designed with those fixed cameras in mind and it would be blasphemous to change it. I half agree and certainly sympathize with that. However, I just don't see Capcom doing that. It's 2015, what games do that anymore? Yes REmake got put in HD this year but that is still an old game just put in HD. What do you think they'll do? No, what do you WANT them to do?

• 
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Fixed camera angles with tank controls.

EJN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never understood the people's issue with tank controls. Yes they do take some time getting used to, but so does any other control scheme if you are not familiar with it. I personally want this remake to just be a visual makeover while keeping everything else the same as it was before.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't see the point in removing the fixed camera angles. This game is specifically a remake of Resident Evil 2. If you're going to remake Resident Evil 2, make sure you have Resident Evil 2 at the end. Updating the control schemes and such is fine but fixed camera angles are fundamental to how the old Resident Evil games played. The fixed camera angles allowed the designers to frame each segment of the game in a specific way to control what the player can and cannot see.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By marc

They need to straight up remake this game EXACTLY as they did with the REmake.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By Nodima

If they fundamentally change what this game was they will have missed the entire point of the frothing demand for this project. If REmake had not so faithfully made a dated game playable for any generation by retaining everything that made that game what it was while polishing everything that made it a relic of the pioneer days of 3D game design, no one would have began clamoring for this thing. Nobody (other than those guys doing that wet work on a fan version I guess) wants to play a RE2 that plays like RE4. They want to play a RE2 that plays like RE2 and looks like REmake. Gorgeous art, lighting (especially as displayed with the PS4 re-release) and dated controls.

Also, as Austin points out, it would be a real bummer if the "Zapping" were lost in translation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I had to choose I would take the REmake option. Throw in some new stuff, tweak some puzzles and be mostly faithful to the original. Keep A and B game for both characters, redo the Mercenaries (Sorta?) Mode and do something dumb with Tofu.

But if they go for the RE4 style I won't be mad ...as long as they don't rub RE6 crap all over it.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By stonyman65

I would prefer the old-school style but I wouldn't mind the more modern controls as long as they don't just turn the game into another RE5. The reason why those controls worked in RE4 was because a)they were fairly new at the time, and b)because RE4 was an action game rather than a survival-horror game like the previous games in the series.

I don't think either of those things would really work in RE2s setting unless they did something really crazy and new with the game, but at that point it would almost be more of a reboot than a remake.

But hey, I don't think a Resident Evil series reboot would be such a bad idea at this point, so why not? What else are they going to do with it?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Fixed cameras, if you change something fundamental about the game, DON'T let it be that...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Fixed camera angles, tank controls (ok, you can have your "new" controls if you want), limited inventory, Fox only, Final Destination. If you're gonna remake Resident Evil 2, remake Resident Evil 2. Don't make it a 3rd person shooter.

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I will always champion the style of the first three Resident Evil games, since I don't like where they took the series with 4. Good for the genre, bad for Resident Evil. Purely based on sour grapes btw. I never understood why people couldn't play with tank controls. I find them incredibly easy and intuitive, if a bit slow.

Remake one of those three games and you can't ignore that control style. Throw in Directional Control+Tank Style and people that can't stand Tank Style will be happy too.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Fixed camera angles, duh. Though it would be interesting if they reattempted the RE4 Hookman Build of keeping it to fixed camera angles but then having it switch to over-the-shoulder for aiming.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I really liked the remake of Resident Evil 1. I want it to be in that style. It won't be, I bet.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I voted over the shoulder. With these remakes I hope they go further away from the original while maintaining faithfulness to certain aspects rather than just make the same game again. I really have liked RE 4 and 5 from a gameplay perspective so something a lot like that works for me.

I have no interest in playing any remake that is basically the same with better graphics. RE 1 Remake was pretty good when it came out but at this point I am done with tank controls and that kind of camera.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going the route of the REmake would be the best way to do it. Add in some alternate control schemes for people who just can't deal with tank controls wouldn't be unwelcome either of course. Walking into the interrogation room that has a licker jump through the two-way glass and scare the pants off you would just not be the same if they ditched fixed camera angles.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By TobbRobb

Fixed camera. Just like how you can't move while aiming in 4, or tank controls, the camera is a design decision which the game was based on from the start. Changing it now serves no purpose other than creating unforseen issues or exploits and messing with the expectations of your primary market.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fixed camera, but an option to turn tank controls on and off, would be best I feel. I'm all for purism, but if I had to go through that game again, I certainly wouldn't mind being able to get around faster.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fixed cameras are garbage. Make RE2 better and give it RE4 controls. The best thing about those games is the atmosphere anyways.

Jimjamjaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The fixed camera angles are part of the atmosphere, a pretty big part.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RE4 is my favorite RE game, but the fixed camera angle in the first 3 games was a big part of the atmosphere. Not being able to see whats next until the camera changed positions lead to a lot of scares. I don't think they controlled that bad either

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fix camera angles is the way to go.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Fixed camera for God's sake. It would mechanically be not RE2 without them. How is this even a question?

making RE2 with OTS camera , would be like remaking Link to the Past in the style of Ocarina of Time or Super Mario Bros. 3 in the style of Galaxy.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I said this before, but I think RE4 is terrible. The camera is one of the worst parts.

RE2 should still be RE2, nonetheless. The idea of them "updating" it or changing it in anyway is a turn off.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Fixed cameras, OBVIOUSLY. To anyone who voted for over-the-shoulder: you're wrong.

I'm afraid that Capcom is going to fuck it up and make it action-oriented like the modern RE games, just set in the police department. I really hope they prove me wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this remake doesn't have fixed camera angles and tank controls, I'm just going to pretend that it doesn't exist.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

If they don't keep the fixed camera perspective, then they have completely missed the point of why people want this game. Since they've done REmake HD and are doing RE0 HD, I think this team knows precisely what people want out of these games. I'm all for proper analog controls as an option, but the framing is key to that game's atmosphere and styyyyyyyle.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they did a NEW resident evil in the vein of the old ones and modern gameplay and perspective. I'd be all for it.

But don't mess with the old games, 2 is perfect just update the visuals (add in the cool people control options) and call it a day.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think if they did it exactly the way they did the RE1 Remake, a lot of people would be very happy with that.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good to see so many passionate responses.

I love both RE4 and the old games but since this is a remake of Resident Evil 2, I say definitely keep the fixed cameras because that director's choice style is essential to that game. Adds atmosphere and directs what the player sees. It's still RE2 so keep it that way.

Or hell, they could go super crazy and add options for both. That would be insane.

GStats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd frankly wanna see both. I guess maybe they should just stick with fixed cameras for the sake of avoiding messing anything up. They can just copy the original game but make it pretty.

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By ShadowKnight508

If it was up to me, I'd keep the fixed camera but have the option to use the over the shoulder camera view if you beat the game. That way, you can experience the game twice, once with each camera option to see the differences.