Favourite Resident Evil Save Room Theme?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Poll Favourite Resident Evil Save Room Theme? (105 votes)

Resident Evil 9%
Resident Evil: Director's Cut Dualshock 0%
Resident Evil REmake 14%
Resident Evil 2 31%
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis 9%
Resident Evil: Code: Veronica 8%
Resident Evil: Dead Aim 1%
Resident Evil Zero 1%
Resident Evil 4 25%
Dino Crisis 1%
Dino Crisis 2 2%

The Save Rooms of Resident Evil are about as iconic as the tank controls, camera angles, and gerbil sandwiches of the series. They exist as a temporary bubble of respite, a warm bed to relax in far away from the dangers and ammo conservation worries of the 'outside world', and the theme music of the Save Room is a strong proponent of what creates the necessary level of comfort within these havens. There have been many times during my first playthrough of many Resident Evil games, especially the earlier ones where I was in my pre-teens, that I would intentionally just hang around, doing nothing at note, listening to the music.

Resident Evil music in general I feel is a little underappreciated, likely due to it being lost under the shadow of Akira Yamaoka's work in the Silent Hill series. As such, I wanted to make a poll to see what is Resident Evil's most popular rendition of its recurring Save Room theme, and to also simply celebrate some pretty good music!

...I also decided to add Dino Crisis 1 & 2 to the list because they themselves have some very evocative Save Room themes of their own, and the original Dino Crisis in particular is essentially a Resident Evil game in all but name only anyway.

Resident Evil

No better place than any than to start with the very original! The very first Resident Evil's is certainly a standout at least in part because it's what first begun the trend. Despite that, it still works as a means to soothe and massage the nerves as you tinker about in the item box or choose to save your game. It has a strangely dreamy quality to it and makes me picture someone sort of floating around amidst the clouds. At the same time, there's a slight uneasiness about it as it begins to drop before slowly rising up again, to help remind you that you can't stay in the Save Room forever and you're inevitably going to have steel yourself and head back out into danger.

Bonus Video

I fucking love this track, and the actual scene it plays over is definitely one of the game's 'best' as Wesker's true motives and nature are revealed to the cast. Just has such a great classic 'Bad Guy' aesthetic, while also featuring managing to evoke a sort of monstrous quality to it, as if Frankenstein's monster has just awoken, to to help highlight Wesker's madness.

Resident Evil: Director's Cut Dualshock

The Dualshock version of the original Resident Evil is known for its rather eclectic... reimagining of its OST. However its Save Room theme manages to transcend the soundtrack's peculiarities and still turn out surprisingly OK. It sounds a little more melancholic over the original version, leaning even more into the mindset of having a quick breather while knowing all too well that the calming quiet must inevitably come to an end.

Bonus Video

While again the Dualshock soundtrack is a hilarious mess, there is another track that I've always liked, specifically for how it sets up Wesker as some sort of hard boiled private investigator from a 90s point & click adventure game.

Resident Evil REmake

A rather safe remixing of the very original's Save Room theme. It sounds a little lighter than the original's and doesn't quite carry the same slightly lingering sense of dread underneath. It's also not quite as surreal and sounds more akin to sitting in a hospital bed on morphine as opposed to floating amongst the clouds after inducing a significant dose of 'green herbs'.

Bonus Video

Fun fact! The results screen for Resident Evil 5's Lost in Nightmares DLC features another remixing of the original's Save Room theme, which for myself personally might just be my favourite version.

Resident Evil 2

I bloody love Resident Evil 2's and it very well might be my favourite. As with all Save Room themes it's both relaxing yet reaffirming of the fact that the Save Room is such a welcoming presence specifically because of the world that surrounds it. It captures the more apocalyptic nature of the events of Resident Evil 2 and how the zombie carnage now spreads outside of a single mansion into the entirety of a 'small midwestern town'.

It overall accurately captures a sense of arriving home late from work, exhausted and dishevelled, kicking your feet up, and readying to do it all again the next morning.

Bonus Video

I'm throwing this in purely because it's my favourite track in the game's soundtrack, to which I know @pr1mus will agree! Has a great sort of ''What have we done/Playing God/Paying the price for one's mistakes/Evil Science'' air to it that I really like. Weirdly enough this theme is only encountered in a single room, one that you could choose to unlock by scanning your fingerprints as both characters of an A & B Scenarios playthrough. Inside is an SMG, though I've often felt that the location's unique theme music is more fittingly viewed as your reward.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

Following pretty closely in its predecessors footsteps, Resident Evil 3's also has an air of apocalyptic dread to it, only it's now been amplified to reflect on the fact that your travels take you throughout much of the destruction in the city itself, as opposed to staying indoors within the just-as-dangerous RPD station.

Bonus Video

While not a Save Room theme, and in fact it isn't even encountered in the game proper, this is another track that sounds similarly composed to a Save Room theme of the series that I've always enjoyed. Like with the Save Rooms, this track would result in me hanging in RE3's Options menu for the longest time purely so I could continue to listen to it.

Resident Evil: Code: Veronica

One of the series most popular Save Room themes I believe; it's never resonated quite as highly with me as it has others, but I still enjoy it all the same. This one harkens back to the original's tone, only it doesn't carry the same surrealness and sounds more fairy tale-esque which fits in well with game's story's tone I feel.

Bonus Video

Another track I've decided to embed because it's my favourite of the OST. Has an eerie sampling of intrigue and dark fantasy to it and nicely meshes within the creepy everything concerning the preppy Ashford twins Alfred and Alexia.

Resident Evil: Dead Aim

A rather unique take on the Save Room theme, Dead Aim's sounds slightly more sci-fi to the traditionally classical, sometimes gothic, styles of its predecessors. I think it's alright, and that it does a serviceable job in setting the scene of a slowly rocking ship (being the primary location of the game), although its terribly short loop doesn't do it any favours.

Resident Evil Zero

Probably my least favourite of the series' Save Room themes, Zero's just isn't especially distinctive I feel. Like Dead Aim it also has an extremely short loop and barely manages to get off the ground. It sounds a lot more repetitive than the others and the higher pitch of the notes I don't think is quite as relaxing as they intended. It's OK, I guess, and I suppose it's at least indicative of the game as a whole.

Resident Evil 4

As with so many other aspects of the series, Resident Evil 4 marked a pretty drastic turn for the series. While RE4 shed away many of its predecessors hallmarks, it does still at least contain its own Save Theme. It's far from the series best, but I think it does the job well enough. Despite the game's higher focus towards action, the action itself can still be frantic and draining enough that stumbling into a Save Room and being enveloped in the music within still inspires a feeling of relaxation.

Dino Crisis

Given that Dino Crisis can be aptly summarised as ''Resident Evil with dinosaurs'', it's no surprise that it contains a very Resident Evil-esque Save Room theme! Essentially sounding like a 90s'-future rendition of a Save Room theme, it has a slightly more transparent, almost sterile quality to it, while again carrying the same mix of putting you at ease while subtly reminding you of the horrors that await outside.

Dino Crisis 2

Despite cutting ties with much of the survival horror-ness of its predecessor, this run n gunning arcade-shooter sequel still has its very own Save Room theme. It's only a remix of the originals, however, with a bit of synth and, most distinctively, the iconic slow-moving stampede of the T-Rex. It's a shame they didn't attempt to compose a new theme for what is an otherwise very different game than the original, but I do at least think this is a better rendition than the first Dino Crisis. It sounds even more like it's from the far-flung future and even kinda Mass Effect-y due to the addition of the synth.

• 
audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In context I've heard only RE4's, but I probably have to vote for the original's original.

Speaking of, I'd heard only the DualShock remake's version until now; the classic really puts it to shame.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Resident Evil 2 and 3, for sure. Can't pick between those two. Man I love RE3. Feel that game doesn't get the love it deserves. Nemesis is such a fan fucking tastic idea.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mosespippy

I played through RE4 for the first time this past week and thought the save room theme was the save room theme from RE2.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The little piano jingle in 2 and 3 do it for me.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By NeoCalypso

I'm sorry but none of them even come close to being as memorable as RE2's. It's the one piece of music from the entire series that I can immediately recall without fail. I am a pretty big fan of RE:Zero though as well, it's probably the one I've heard the most outside of RE2.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Tough choice between RE and RE2 but I chose RE. Haven't heard these tunes in years. I think I've found some new study music thanks to this.

Great thread YummyLee!

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Most definitely Code Veronica's. The one in Dino Crisis 2 is super rad also.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aetheldod

Well my fav would be RE Remake version ... dunno something about that tune with harp just makes it perfectly victorianesque that the Spencer Mansion has to it. But I´ll be honest the one that would always come up to my mind if I think of a RE song would be RE2 save room theme.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FrostyRyan

If you didn't vote for REmake, it's because you haven't played REmake.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Steadying

Either Remake's or 3's.

My personal favourite RE track:

Loading Video...

There's also one that plays as Jill busts through a window at the beginning of 3 that I really like, but I can't find it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some reason I really want to say Majula.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Resident Evil 2. The save room from the first floor of the police station where the dark room is.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil 2 and 3, for sure. Can't pick between those two. Man I love RE3. Feel that game doesn't get the love it deserves. Nemesis is such a fan fucking tastic idea.

I really like RE3. It's a pretty unique entry for how many new mechanics it introduced, like the 180 degree turn, ammo creation, live-selection choices, randomised enemies, and, of course, Nemesis! Even if he's primarily a more refined version of the Mr X Tyrant from RE2. Still, I would love to one day write up a blog celebrating how awesome it is, which isn't much but it's all I can do to spread the love. Just wish I had the capability to produce my own videos =(

Tough choice between RE and RE2 but I chose RE. Haven't heard these tunes in years. I think I've found some new study music thanks to this.

Great thread YummyLee!

Thanks!

Either Remake's or 3's.

My personal favourite RE track:

Loading Video...

There's also one that plays as Jill busts through a window at the beginning of 3 that I really like, but I can't find it.

RE6 may be a steaming pile of wank, but I have to admit that the consistent quality of RE's music shines on even in that 'un! I especially like its primary theme that played all over the trailers.

Loading Video...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only Resident Evils for which I had the soundtrack were 1 and 5. 1 is a lot of janky sounding Meshuggah b-sides played on a Casio. 5 is a bunch of mindless, Michael Bay-ian bombast. I didn't like either.

But the original Resident Evil has a wonderful save room theme. The little arpeggio on the harp while that weird synth/string sound wafts in and out. Awes.

I will also agree with you that the best musical texture is Evil Science.

Heh, way to put my attempts at trying to describe music to shame. I quite like some of RE5's tracks, even if most of it was sort of forgettable. Still, the final end game boss theme is pretty pumpin', even if the boss itself sucks molten shit - boulder bashing be damned.

Loading Video...

''I'm... just getting started''!

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Seeing as how RE2 is one of my favorite AND most nostalgic games, I'm gonna have to go with that. It's the only one I could imagine perfectly in my head before listening to the video for it.

Gnorbooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gnorbooth

So RE4 has always been my favorite of the save room theme's. The light melody used in conjunction with the double bass in the background gives a rather nice different feel to it. Also the background soundscape running underneath it all is dope. Though, the other save theme track that is also present in 4 is my absolute favorite. It's a more pure ambient/drone track that runs in some of the rooms, and it's the one I remember the most. Here's a video of the alternate track.

Loading Video...

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil 2's save room song would be my favorite. That dark room underneath the staircase that led to the STARS' office is just too nostalgic.

I sorta forgot that RE4 had a save theme. And I agree Zero's song was too short. While I like it, it does get repetitive fast.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By pr1mus

I only looked at the choices to make you sure you didn't mess this up by not including RE2 by accident.

Also hell yes that secret lab music! The official title is "Wreckage of the Mad Experiment". A very fitting title. For years i kept a save file specifically to be able to get to that room and listen to that music easily in the "pre-internet in my house" era! In fact i'm pretty sure i still have this save file. Along with another one in the factory just before going down in the lab which is the last point in the game where you can still backtrack all the way to the police station.

The RE3 options music is also fantastic. I did the same by idling in that menu just for the music while doing something else. I'd be a pretty good safe room theme.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RE3 - No better feeling after escaping Nemesis, making into a save room, and hearing that calming theme.

SuperFusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SuperFusion

I chose Resident Evil 2, because I find it perfectly blends that feeling of being safe, with hints of sinister undertones. I love it.

Although I gotta say, I loved how they played with the save music in Resident Evil 3 when you knew Nemesis was close by. God that shit was tense.

(Oh wow, my reaction when I saw the title to this song was priceless, I'll let you discover it on your own)

Loading Video...

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Resident Evil 2's save room constantly made me think that each save room was a hoax and a licker would jump out the moment after my save registered. It is just the best mix of atmosphere and sinister from the series by a country mile.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

As a song, I think Resident Evil 2 has the best, followed by 3. For what it's going for, I think the original Resident Evil is the best. The safe room is supposed to give you a breather and give you a false sense of safety. Nothing does that better than the original's. I could easily see it fitting in at an office of an acupuncturist or something.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I would say RE2's without a doubt. That music is burned into my brain and the memories that hearing it now brings back...just, damn. Good times.

Although I gotta say, I loved how they played with the save music in Resident Evil 3 when you knew Nemesis was close by. God that shit was tense.

Also wanted to mention this. After RE2's theme, this is it. I fucking HATED hearing this song. Knowing that Nemesis was waiting right outside to punch a hole through my face. RE3's regular save room music is fantastic, but the effectiveness of this alternative track cannot be overstated.

And you know what? I don't think I've ever heard the very original's music until now. I like a lot, though. It's incredibly eerie. I only ever had the Director's Cut as a kid. I don't remember exactly what that sounded like either, except that it was incredibly bizarre.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The OG save room theme is the best. REmake's arrangement is good too but I really like those ethereal glissando synths in the original. Code Veronica's theme is a slightly more distant third.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil 3! The save room music puts me on edge for some reason... even when the Nemesis wasn't lurking around outside the door it never felt safe in there. I love/hate that giant monster man and all the horror he brought me.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Probably RE2 or REmake's.

Loading Video...

Figure this is worthy of being a "bonus track", assuming that RE 1.5 restoration project ever finishes up.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AcidBrandon18
Loading Video...

My personal favorite song from RE2. I also voted for the REmake, with RE2 being a close second.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RE4 is my favorite but RE2 brings nostalgia also. I never played RE1 or 3 so don't have any connection to those themes.

I am hoping for RE 2 and RE3 remakes in the style of the RE1 remake.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Tie between 2 and 3. The feeling of uneasiness and dread they convey is just great, like the game is whispering that "you're safe... but not for long!".

Bonus video! I've said this in another thread, but the main menu/character creation theme in Dark Souls really resembles the calmer save room themes from Resident Evil.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Resident Evil 4. The Resident Evil series has fantastic save room themes, but RE4 beats them all. It's the only one where I would sit there and listen for a few minutes before heading back into the game.

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RE2 for sure, it still gives me chills hearing it again after not playing it for so long. RE1 or remake would be a close second and honourable mention goes to.... the DarkSouls character creation/selection screen, can't remember the number of times I thought I was humming the safe room music from RE1 only to have it somehow morph into the darksouls music, pretty weird huh?

Edit: right reading @svenzon: previous posts makes me realise I'm not the only one who feels this way about DS character menu music.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I had to go with RE4. The save rooms were such a relief of built-up tension. Also, I'm sad that the song doesn't include the typewriter clacking.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

RE4's is the one I've heard the most, and it's burnt into my mind, but RE2's is just perfection.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@svenzon said:

Tie between 2 and 3. The feeling of uneasiness and dread they convey is just great, like the game is whispering that "you're safe... but not for long!".

Bonus video! I've said this in another thread, but the main menu/character creation theme in Dark Souls really resembles the calmer save room themes from Resident Evil.

Loading Video...

I always thought this sounded familiar!

I'm most nostalgic for CV(X) or 4 probably, but I chose 2 because I thought it fit too perfectly after listening to them all. It was very close between that and the original.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It's a toss up between Code Veronica and Zero for me. I'll go with Zero.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Six months old thread, I know, but there are a lot of responses that I meant to respond to but forgot... Plus the announcement of an RE2 remake brought me back here to re-listen to some of the themes. Really wish I could edit my OP, though. Typos abound!

So RE4 has always been my favorite of the save room theme's. The light melody used in conjunction with the double bass in the background gives a rather nice different feel to it. Also the background soundscape running underneath it all is dope. Though, the other save theme track that is also present in 4 is my absolute favorite. It's a more pure ambient/drone track that runs in some of the rooms, and it's the one I remember the most. Here's a video of the alternate track.

Loading Video...

I totally forget RE4 actually has two Save Room themes! And yes, this one is much superior, though I don't think it'd win out over RE2 for me personally.

Probably RE2 or REmake's.

Loading Video...

Figure this is worthy of being a "bonus track", assuming that RE 1.5 restoration project ever finishes up.

Wow, I had no idea they RE 1.5 even had its own unique Save Room theme until you posted this! It's... rather peculiar, though. Sounds more JRPG-ish than anything, or something that perhaps belongs in DMC than it does RE. I quite like it all the same, though. Sorta brings to mind being lost in some fantastical forest or something.

Loading Video...

My personal favorite song from RE2. I also voted for the REmake, with RE2 being a close second.

RE2's overall soundtrack in general is just grand.

@svenzon said:

Loading Video...

Heh, yeah, this totally fits in line with a Save Room theme. Shame you never actually hear it anywhere in the game proper.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Code Veronica was my first Resident Evil game so it's save room theme holds that nostalgic power over me that makes me go "ahhhh, the good old days"
But RE2 is so creepy I just love it. So a tie really but I voted CV.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@yummylee: I wouldn't mind if it played in the bonfire rooms, to be honest.