Anybody else getting Alan Wake vibes?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've never been much of a Resident Evil fan. I've tried several times to get into the series. I played Resident Evil 2 back when it came out, and it was impenetrable to my adolescent self. I gave Resident Evil 4 a shot, and while I was able to appreciate it technically, I didn't enjoy my experience with it enough to see it through. I've always regret missing out on series like this. I get frustrated when I see so many people enjoy it, but can't figure out the correct point of entry to enjoy it myself. It's not that I think those people are wrong, but I'm jealous. Last year I gave Resident Evil Revelations a solid chance. I got further in it than any previous Resident Evil game, but that was largely thanks to the accessible controls. I didn't enjoy the experience for reasons that now escape me, but the narrative didn't compel me to continue and I eventually abandoned it.

Here we are, yet another Resident Evil release, and that feeling has some back. But for six dollars, it was worth it to see if this time would be different. Especially after hearing Dan glow about the game. Dan and I are very different people, but we have similar taste in games. I think he comes to games for the same reasons I do, and he's better at conveying deeper critical thought than you'd ever expect an adult wrestling fanatic to be capable of. Maybe we're not actually so different.

Guys, I like this game. Like, I really liked it. I feel like it's acknowledging some of the dumber aspects of the series, and really embracing it. It feels genuine and cool and creepy, but fun and accessible. The entire presentation is so reminiscent of the things I loved about Alan Wake. I guess I can't give all credit to Alan Wake as that's lifting from pulp horror itself, but it's giving me the same wonderful vibes. I just wrapped up episode one, and I've been spending some time in raid mode. Raid mode is dumb fun, but still fun.

Is anybody else getting those Alan Wake vibes from this game?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

The sway-dodge thing definitely feels reminiscent of Alan Wake, but otherwise... nah, I don't see it.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I'm watching the Phil Kollar/Nick Robinson LP of the game and they name dropped Alan Wake fairly early on, with the using light to blind/stagger enemies mechanic. I haven't played either game though so I can't say I get those vibes.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By HH

yeah i was reminded of Alan Wake during the exterior forest section with Barry and the girl, it reminded me i need to go back and finish it, i really loved the setting in that game, enough to override my indifference to the gameplay, but i hit a part i couldn't get past - some crazy guy in a gazebo with crows backing him up - and haven't gone back to it since.

i too have been in and out of the resident evil franchise over the years but I was won over by the HD remaster of the original game that came out in January, and I'm intrigued enough by the atmosphere in this one to follow up with the next episode.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Mmm, Alan Wake. Gods I wish Remedy were working on a sequel instead of the Quantum nonsense.