Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 0

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 10, 2002

Resident Evil Zero is a prequel to the long running Resident Evil series, being set merely a day before the Mansion Incident of the original Resident Evil. Zero has players simultaneously control two protagonists: STARS Bravo member Rebecca Chambers, and escaped convict Billy Coen.

RE0 Remastering may have been inadvertently unveiled.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee
    No Caption Provided

As you can see there on the PS4 XMB is 'Biohazard Zero', displayed in an image showing off the Remake Remastering PlayStation theme. Not too far fetched really anywhoo, as Zero shares many similarities to the remake in how it was built, and seems like the next logical step in Capcom's aim to remaster seemingly every one of their games ever. Resident Evil 5 next in queue?

Zero isn't quite as beloved as the remake, and for good reason, but its superb graphical quality easily rivals that of the remake and would certainly benefit from a little spit shine. That it's perhaps the most obscure and least well known of the core series would also give it another notch as to why I'd be interested to see it become more widely accessible.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

Capcom seems to have a serious leakage issue.

Resident Evil 5 had a PC port so a PS4/Xbox One release would be pretty easy.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No thanks!

I'm still very excited by REmake Remaster however. Still waiting on the PC release for that one.

But if these remaster prove successful enough and motivate Capcom to give RE2 and 3 the REmake treatment one day then I still wish Zero great success even though i hated that game...

Maybe the next game in the queue for a remaster is actually RE6. Resident Evil 6: Good Edition.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

Maybe the next game in the queue for a remaster is actually RE6. Resident Evil 6: Good Edition.

I think Capcom want to forget RE6 ever happened just as much as the rest of us.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Fingers crossed, I missed a lot of the RE series, got into it rather late and new back tracked to the older consoles beside the PS2, so all of these remasters are fine by me, my chance to play 1 is coming up, hopefully I get a chance to play Zero as well.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Karkarov

In all honesty if they release a true Resident Evil remaster on PS4 I would probably buy it.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

RE0 speedwagon

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm a bit lost...where are you seeing Biohazard 0? The icon in the back? Looks like biohazard with an eyeball behind it.

I would totally buy the games in a package sort of deal. I'm guessing that won't happen. I plan on getting the original RE game tho. Only because of nostalgia.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

In all honesty if they release a true Resident Evil remaster on PS4 I would probably buy it.

Howdya mean? Like, the remake? Because they're already doing as such and it's to be released pretty soon.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Corevi

@handlas: It's small but it's definitely the Biohazard 0 logo as well as Rebecca and Billy.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Why not, right? If you're remastering a game you may as well remaster another game using effectively the same tech. I might actually be motivated to finish RE0 at last.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually quite liked RE0, but couldn't fathom why it didn't have co-op as an option. I can only imagine it was some limitation of the engine or something. It'd be pretty cool if they could build that in to a remaster but that's probably asking way too much.

If they were to add in coop, they would also have to model all of the doors and add in new animations for the characters opening the doors at that. Which... well, seems like more work than they'd probably be willing to put in.

Though I don't really think adding in coop would benefit the game all that much anyway really. Many of the environments are of course pretty closed in and it would be awkward for two actual players to try and move about simultaneously. Furthermore, there's not that much in the way of cooperative functions in the game, either. The primary mechanic is each character splitting-up from one another and having to explore different environments independently, which is mostly effective because of how much you'll likely become used to mainlining as the nigh-unkillable Billy. So, situations that force you to play as Rebecca on her own are incredibly tense! Besides that, they both primarily only interact via their inventory management more than anything.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@yummylee said:

@patheticman said:

I actually quite liked RE0, but couldn't fathom why it didn't have co-op as an option. I can only imagine it was some limitation of the engine or something. It'd be pretty cool if they could build that in to a remaster but that's probably asking way too much.

If they were to add in coop, they would also have to model all of the doors and add in new animations for the characters opening the doors at that. Which... well, seems like more work than they'd probably be willing to put in.

Though I don't really think adding in coop would benefit the game all that much anyway really. Many of the environments are of course pretty closed in and it would be awkward for two actual players to try and move about simultaneously. Furthermore, there's not that much in the way of cooperative functions in the game, either. The primary mechanic is each character splitting-up from one another and having to explore different environments independently, which is mostly effective because of how much you'll likely become used to mainlining as the nigh-unkillable Billy. So, situations that force you to play as Rebecca on her own are incredibly tense! Besides that, they both primarily only interact via their inventory management more than anything.

They had Resident Evil Online a year after zero, which had multiple players playing together. There were no modeled doors or new animations. When a player went in a different room, I am pretty sure it showed them open the door and they vanished into it. I think the better answer, which you go into a little bit in your second paragraph, is the game just wasn't meant to be coop game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Welp, I guess you already linked to what I think of RE0. They're going to have to do more than slap on a coat of fresh paint for me to want to play that again so soon.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully said:

@yummylee said:

@patheticman said:

They had Resident Evil Online a year after zero, which had multiple players playing together. There were no modeled doors or new animations. When a player went in a different room, I am pretty sure it showed them open the door and they vanished into it. I think the better answer, which you go into a little bit in your second paragraph, is the game just wasn't meant to be coop game.

Are you referring to Resident Evil: Outbreak? That's different because the backgrounds weren't pre-rendered, and they did in fact feature animations showing the characters opening the doors. Plus, the environments were more spacious to accommodate more players independently wandering around, whereas Zero was designed with many of the same claustrophobic corridors and the like as any other single-player Resident Evil game.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@yummylee said:

@ssully said:

@yummylee said:

@patheticman said:

Are you referring to Resident Evil: Outbreak? That's different because the backgrounds weren't pre-rendered, and they did in fact feature animations showing the characters opening the doors. Plus, the environments were more spacious to accommodate more players independently wandering around, whereas Zero was designed with many of the same claustrophobic corridors and the like as any other single-player Resident Evil game.

Yes! That's the name. And holy shit I can't believe they actually made a second one of those. Either way my point is animations for the doors aren't what was holding Zero back from having Coop, it was that the game wasn't supposed to be a Coop game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Yummylee
    @ssully said:

@yummylee said:

Yes! That's the name. And holy shit I can't believe they actually made a second one of those. Either way my point is animations for the doors aren't what was holding Zero back from having Coop, it was that the game wasn't supposed to be a Coop game.

You're right, I had gotten a little ahead of myself there =X

@patheticman said:

@yummylee: Yeah, you're right now I think about it. It probably wouldn't have worked cooperatively - I just remember at the time thinking that a co-op RE game could be really interesting and fixating on the idea.

I'm really hoping Revelations 2 is good because I loved RE5's co-op (despite it being a really different game to the earlier entries), but I hated RE6 profoundly.

In that case you should know that for whatever reason Revelations 2's coop is local only for the story. Its Raid mode still allows online coop, though; and if it's anything like the original Revelations then you'll essentially get to play throughout the entire game in online coop anyway.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#22  Edited By Svenzon

Makes sense that they would remaster Zero. That and REmake must be running on the same tech, right? I don't remember much about Zero except for disliking it quite a bit, and from what I've heard it's not really worth going back to. Might pick it up if the REmake remaster turns out good, though.

I wish Capcom would release Okami HD on PC. They already ported it to Wii, so it's not like Sony has exclusive rights to it or anything. In fact, I'd like to see most of the cool experimental stuff that they put out during that generation. Never really played PN0.3., so that one would be nice to see.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Resident Evil 0 was a great game, I would love to play it again.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved all of the numbered Resident Evil games except for 6 and 0. RE0 looked great for the time, but that game wasn't nearly as good as anything else in the series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.