Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 0

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 10, 2002

Resident Evil Zero is a prequel to the long running Resident Evil series, being set merely a day before the Mansion Incident of the original Resident Evil. Zero has players simultaneously control two protagonists: STARS Bravo member Rebecca Chambers, and escaped convict Billy Coen.

RE0 Remastered confirmed. Update: trailer & screenshots.

• 69 results
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Figured it wasn't worth making a new thread for this 'un and decided to bump the original instead. Anywhoo as expected it's looking real damn sharp, and will include the same additions the remake saw, with widescreen support and an alternate control scheme to the tank controls. I can't imagine it'll see much else, which is a shame because Zero could definitely do with a little tweaking I feel, much more so than the remake. But on the other hand I at least don't have Zero completely memorised like I do the remake, so it'll feel a little less like I'm just going through the motions when I play it again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While it was pretty obvious this was on its way, it's nice to have some official confirmation. Given the success of the remake HD remastering then it's only natural that its less well known (and also less beloved) cousin follows en suite. Of all RE games I can't say getting the chance to replay Zero is high on my list, as while it does share the same graphical beauty of the remake, it still ranks on the lower end for me amongst the mainline RE games. Still, I will buy it, I will play it, and I will blog the ever loving fuck out of it.

And here's a Hella awkward official announcement from Capcom:

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

That's cool. I didn't really get to sink my teeth into Zero when it was released, so being able to play it again is awesome.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Looks like Capcom's serious about this remaster train.

They'll probably remaster their whole post-2000 catalog before they give everyone what we really want: Resident Evil 2 Remake.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm just going to leave this here, as a reminder for what I actually think of RE0. It's okay. Not great. Not REmake great, that's for sure.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Jeust

@yummylee said:

as while it does share the same graphical beauty of the remake,

The graphics of Zero are prettier than Remake. They have the same fidelity, but Zero has more dynamic backgrounds. And personally I believe it has also better backgrounds, and music.

In Japan the game is scheduled to launch early 2016.

It will probably have the price of the RE Remake.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This basically means that a Killer7 remaster is 100% inevitable.

Right?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right?

Or that they'll at least finally get around to giving the Onimusha games the 1080p60 treatment they deserve. Also, Shadow of Rome. Oh baby would I love an excuse to play through that again!

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great. The crappiest Resident Evil game in the mainline series besides Resident Evil 6 is getting a remaster but they aren't bothering to remake/remaster Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 which everyone wants them to do. Sorry if I sound a little salty here but I really couldn't care less about Resident Evil Zero in general, much less a remaster. Put that time, money, and effort towards something important!

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ThunderSlash

@jeust: The dynamic backgrounds were just looped prerendered videos, but damn did they look nice.

I remember the inventory system in this one being particularly cumbersome due to having no item box. The leech zombies were cool though. So when are the Gun Survivor games getting HD remasters?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Definitely one of my least favorites but it does bother me I never actually pushed through and finished it. Considering I think I beat the first remaster about 5 times, I'll probably get this one just because.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great. The crappiest Resident Evil game in the mainline series besides Resident Evil 6 is getting a remaster but they aren't bothering to remake/remaster Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 which everyone wants them to do. Sorry if I sound a little salty here but I really couldn't care less about Resident Evil Zero in general, much less a remaster. Put that time, money, and effort towards something important!

Come now, they did totally remaster the remake at least! Even if they also failed to give it much incentive for veterans and instead catered to a newer audience with its new control option and Very Easy mode. But still, RE0 is next on their goal of remastering seemingly everything because it's easy. It was developed within the same engine and technically speaking it shares a lot with the remake, right down to animations. Once Zero is out of the way then we'll see where they'll actually start placing their priorities. RE5 if I had to guess.

As for RE2 & RE3, well I've already said my piece on that!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jeust

@thunderslash said:

@jeust: The dynamic backgrounds were just looped prerendered videos, but damn did they look nice.

I remember the inventory system in this one being particularly cumbersome due to having no item box. The leech zombies were cool though. So when are the Gun Survivor games getting HD remasters?

The backgrounds were great especially in the train part. That level was awesome!

The inventory system was cumbersome, and demanded some backtracking, but it also required some item management, and led to some more tense moments, when you were going through a previous visited environment, and it had new enemies, screwing your plans. It got a bit tiring though.

Well maybe after RE2 and 3 have been remaked, the Survivor games may have the same treatment.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Meh, I'm more or less indifferent when it comes to older RE titles. That said, it was pretty exciting to see other people so excited about an RE game with that remake not too long ago so it'd be cool if this found a similarly warm welcome.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Understand why it's coming (probably easy to port, considering how similar it is in engine/style to REmake), but boy do I hate RE0. Easily the worst "main" game in the series. It'd be nice if they maybe add some kind of mode that fixes its biggest issues, but I sincerely doubt that will happen.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great for people that want this stuff, but seeing how hard in the paint Capcom is going with remastering all their old shit is really depressing. "Hey remember all these great games we made!? Well shit, man, none of those people are around anymore to make new ones, so here they are again, but maaaaan, look at these polygons, huh?!"

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Resident Evil 0 is not nearly as good as the remake of the first, still decent.

Will play.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey: That's the funny thing with this RE0 remastering as it's being handled by much of the original team, including the director.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By doctordonkey

@yummylee: That's a great thing to see, but unfortunately this is an exception to most of their other classics.

Avatar image for washablemarkers
    washablemarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has the public opinion on this game changed over time? I remember it being well-received when it came out.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nasp

@yummylee said:
    @adequatelyprepared said:

Right?

Or that they'll at least finally get around to giving the Onimusha games the 1080p60 treatment they deserve. Also, Shadow of Rome. Oh baby would I love an excuse to play through that again!

Funny you mention shadow of rome since ive literally just started playing it for the first time and im enjoying it.first thing i thought when i played the game was"wow this game would be insane if it was remade in hd at 1080p 60 fps"and its already a great looking game for the ps2 anyway.the gore is insane too so i could only imagine what that would look like in hd.i hope they do it at some point because its a really unique game and its just begging for the hd treatment right now.

GStats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Took me a second to figure out why he's holding a plant........click

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

We can't make a new Resident Evil game so lets remaster everything.

Look forward to when they remaster the remaster.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It pains me to say this but this is still preferable to them making a new RE.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We can't make a new Resident Evil game so lets remaster everything.

Look forward to when they remaster the remaster.

They released Revelations 2 mere months ago...

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yawn.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@adequatelyprepared: Jesus Christ. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. I'd give anything to play Killer 7 on my PS4 in silky smooth HD/60fps

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Depending on what changes they make to the game in this remastered version, I might be willing to play it again...

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
    chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Viewtiful Joe?

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capcom's remaster game is tight!

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By laserbolts

Video Games need to fuck off with the remakes and remasters.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Please, release this on disc for the PS3/PS4 for like $29.99 and I will buy again. I even rebought on the Gamecube and Wii.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right?

Oh man don't go playing with my heart like that.

HEY CAPCOM WHY NOT DO AN HD REMAKE OF RESIDENT EVIL 2? JESUS CHRIST COME ON ALREADY.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Resident Evil 0 is the only RE game I have actually beaten.

Top8Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one that really liked RE0? I liked Rebecca and wish they would of done more with her in the franchise.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@demoskinos: we'll probably get a remastered RE6 before Killer 7

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please, release this on disc for the PS3/PS4 for like $29.99 and I will buy again. I even rebought on the Gamecube and Wii.

Seems unlikely if the remake remastering is anything to go by. Even DMC4: SE is digital only for whatever reason, and yet the DmC Definitive Edition got itself a physical release...?

Right?

Oh man don't go playing with my heart like that.

HEY CAPCOM WHY NOT DO AN HD REMAKE OF RESIDENT EVIL 2? JESUS CHRIST COME ON ALREADY.

HDifying a PS1 game is probably... complicated. That, and with the fan pressure modern day Capcom would be feeling should they attempt to do anything with RE2, I'm not surprised they're keeping their mitts off of that one for now. And, hey, maybe that's for the best?

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Vextroid

@yummylee said:

HDifying a PS1 game is probably... complicated.

Didn't they release RE2 and 3 on Gamecube?

I seem to remember seeing reviews for these versions on Gamespot years ago.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Yummylee

@vextroid said:
    @yummylee said:

HDifying a PS1 game is probably... complicated.

Didn't they release RE2 and 3 on Gamecube?

I seem to remember seeing reviews for these versions on Gamespot years ago.

They did, but they were still only outputted at 480p of course. I would assume jumping into HD would be a tougher transition, but then I'm no tech expert or anything so all I have is pure speculation!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@vextroid: I've been after the GC version of RE3 for years!

I still have RE0 for my GC and much like the REmake I dunno that I need an HD version as these originals still look amazing, but I do think RE0 is pretty underrated and so hopefully lots of new people will get their hands on this game.

In general I hope the success of these HD classics will translate in any way to the future of Resident Evil.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

I liked parts of the HD remake of Resident Evil, but the amount of inventory spaces really killed that game for me. I don't really have an interest in playing another game with those problems, so I wish what Capcom read from this was that people were interested in slower burn horror and a chance to play critically acclaimed games they missed (Like, as people have pointed out here, Killer7).

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one that really liked RE0? I liked Rebecca and wish they would of done more with her in the franchise.

I love the game too.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By NeoCalypso
    @donutfever said:

Ibut the amount of inventory spaces really killed that game for me. I don't really have an interest in playing another game with those problems,

That's actually not as big an issue in RE:0 because unlike previous games you can actually drop items you don't need on the floor and they stay there for you to grab later. Not to mention you have control of both characters at the same time throughout most of the game so the inventory is twice as big as it usually is.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@jiggajoe14: You're not wrong. :( Also I'd uh...totally play RE6 again. I didn't hate it. Had its issues but I found it pretty fun for the most part.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@demoskinos: Honestly I haven't played it yet either. Just the thought of community's reaction popped into my head though lol. I'm more interested in getting to the pre-RE4 games (of which I only played REmake for the first time when it recently released on PC) at some point than 6. Hopefully they do 2 soon damn it.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The version of RE3 on the gamecube is just a straight PSOne port.

Kovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just had this vision of Capcom perpetuating this idea until people don't care anymore, crossing another thing off a list and concluding: "I guess people don't like old stuff anymore, either."

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played this game when it came out so I'll probably check this remaster out. I really enjoyed RE HD Remaster. I hope they start working on Onimusha remasters next...

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a stepping stone to a possible full remake of Resident Evil 2 and 3. I'll take it.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hah, the minute I saw that video in my subs when I woke up I was like "well, let's see when YummLee makes a thread f- oh it's already up"

As others have said, RE2 wold of course have been nice but I'm on board for this, I got into the RE games late, sometime after Code Veronica X (PS2) so I didn't get a chance to play any of the originals but had always wanted too, but as time went on it became harder/more of a hassle to attempt to do so, so having remakes/masters of them is fantastic for me, now I finally get to experience them and wanted to play them all.
    So hey, bring it on, also I love train levels in games.
    Double also it might be fun to play an old school RE that isn't a maze... unless it still is somehow, I mean it's a train, forward and backward? Maybe a few cars with an up and down? Ah hell, it's Resident Evil, there is probably a secret secondary train running under the first train to double the length and make it confusing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.