called it

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wasn't TR2013 like barely considered a success (financially) by Square Enix? I would think they would want to get it out on as many platforms as possible. The check from Microsoft couldn't have been that big. Since the announcement I've been assuming it was a timed thing.

usernameya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrickklepek: I for sure understand your position and know journalists were in a very tough spot in reporting this. Especially with the statement that square put out which really made it seem like it was exclusive. I guess the thing that really made me question it though was "holiday 2015". That's where it can make it seem like a timed thing and as a reader I would want to hear an official statement from Microsoft or Square using the words lifetime exclusive or something like that before believing it. You are for sure right though, "exclusive" is a pretty straightforward term and the way Microsoft used it was a way to deceive people so I also do understand why journalists reported the story the way they did.

Anyway, I don't really post too much so since I am right now, just want to say I enjoy your work and everyone else's on the site. Thanks for all your efforts. And yes Yoshi's Island is an amazing game!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@humanity said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@darkstalker said:

@patrickklepek said:

@usernameya said:

I'm actually quite disappointed on the reporting of this whole tomb raider thing. It seems like everyone that reported on this, including here on giant bomb, reported the story as though this was for sure a lifetime exclusive. It would've been nice if in their articles, reporters stated that they were awaiting for further clarification or definitive confirmation about whether or not this was the case, as we've gotten now. While it is their job to report the news as it happens, on a story like this where there is much confusion considering how the statement was made at the conference, it would've been better to see the story reported as a possibility of lifetime exclusivity rather than a statement of fact.

I'm all for being patient with reporting the news, but there was nothing ambiguous about what Microsoft announced yesterday. It said it was an exclusive to Xbox One. That word has a very specific term, and Microsoft deliberately mislead people. Microsoft knew exactly what it was doing when it trotted out that term the way it did.

exactly. and this is the real story. this included microsoft directly responding after the fact to people who said it was probably a timed exclusive with the opposite information.

It will be interesting to see how this effects sales. I mean microsoft already doesn't have have huge grab of gamers right now and I wonder how many who were thinking of investing to get the game will not based on how they feel they were treated.

I usually judge the average opinion by the comments section on IGN and the consensus seems to be "im upset about this but still going to buy it"

I think the word "misled" carries a lot of weight with it which may or may not be deserved in this situation. Each time Sony or Microsoft sign these sort of deals the wording is intentionally vague, and this has become an industry standard. How many times have we seen Playstation use similar wording for clearly multiplatform titles that they marketed as if they were Sony exclusives. Saying something that isn't true is one thing, but simply not saying everything is something else entirely. I will agree that it is, unfortunately, common practice for both parties at the moment.

I remember when they revealed Diablo 3 was coming to Playstation. There was no mention of any other systems, and even Blizzard's blog post about it made it look like it wasn't coming to other platforms. Someone reading those articles alone would get the obvious impression that it was an exclusive, as that's how the entire thing is worded. Then a couple months before release when they revealed the date, the words Xbox 360 were snuck in there.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That's how the language they used at the announcement made it sound.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By dazzhardy

All this outrage because Public Relations didn't want to say "Timed Exclusive" or "Exclusively Holiday 2015". Just a few extra words and very little of this would of happened, and today's back-peddling on purposefully misleading press releases and statement's would of been avoided.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@rvone said:

I'm still on the fence about these consoles but something about the clear language in which Sony communicated their timed exclusives at the show, yesterday, was really refreshing.

Well it certainly was a first

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

"I get the reaction I see," he said. "If I'm a PlayStation person all of a sudden I feel like, the franchise has gone. I didn't buy the IP. I didn't buy the studio. It's not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we'll see what happens with the game. I don't own every iteration of Tomb Raider."

We didn't buy it! We just tossed a ton of money their way to slightly screw over PS4 owners and give an ego boost to our owners! Completely different.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By KaneRobot

@tortoise said:

So Microsoft is basically spending money to stop some Playstation owning kids getting the game they want for Christmas? Nice one, Microsoft. Suck it up and wait 'til next Easter little Jimmy!

Please. Sony threatened to withhold PS2 shipments from stores that were pushing the Dreamcast prior to the PS2 launch, and have hardly been practicing nothing but fair and kind treatment to everyone since then. I'm glad someone with more money came along to actually fight them, rather than Sony just beating up on Nintendo and Sega forever.

FIGHT FOR MY LOVE, MEGA CORPORATIONS

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Bullshit "exclusive" language is a shoo-in for "Worst New Trend" this year, right?

darkest4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By darkest4

The only thing worse and more annoying to video game fans than 3rd party exclusives, is lying/misleading about 3rd party exclusives. So tired of this shit, wading through this sea of bullshit trying to figure out what all these various "exclusive" terms mean in each case or what "bonus exclusive content" means and so on. Wish both sides would just throw all their resources into their own studio's exclusives and let 3rd parties sell to everyone, we'd get better games overall when Sony/Microsoft are putting all resources into making their own studios better instead of spending wads of cash just to cockblock each other on the 3rd party front and much less annoying bullshit like this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Everyone I know said 'probably timed'. Except for journalists, because that doesn't bleed, so it doesn't lead.

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Phil Spencer doesn't come off very well in that Eurogamer interview, he really sounds petty talking about what is and isn't his job. I guess Gamescom must be every bit as tiring as E3 for those working the show.

ddrober2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys guys good news! We can like Tomb Raider again since it will be playable on the PS4! Thank goodness I was worried for a second that I wouldn't be allowed to like it since it was an XBox One exclusive. I liked it and Uncharted and was a little sad that I had to hate Tomb Raider, but now that I know it will be on the PS4 I can like it again!

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Of course. Just depending on the Xbox One for sales would have been a foolish move by the developers. So much money is being put into these big titles for it to only be on the least successful platform this generation so far. Will wait for the PC version, since my PC is pretty much an Xbox One.

Rirse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know one thing, I won't buy this until it hits $5 as a 'thank you' for waiting a few extra months to Square.

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrickklepek said:

@usernameya said:

I'm actually quite disappointed on the reporting of this whole tomb raider thing. It seems like everyone that reported on this, including here on giant bomb, reported the story as though this was for sure a lifetime exclusive. It would've been nice if in their articles, reporters stated that they were awaiting for further clarification or definitive confirmation about whether or not this was the case, as we've gotten now. While it is their job to report the news as it happens, on a story like this where there is much confusion considering how the statement was made at the conference, it would've been better to see the story reported as a possibility of lifetime exclusivity rather than a statement of fact.

I'm all for being patient with reporting the news, but there was nothing ambiguous about what Microsoft announced yesterday. It said it was an exclusive to Xbox One. That word has a very specific term, and Microsoft deliberately mislead people. Microsoft knew exactly what it was doing when it trotted out that term the way it did.

exactly. and this is the real story. this included microsoft directly responding after the fact to people who said it was probably a timed exclusive with the opposite information.

It will be interesting to see how this effects sales. I mean microsoft already doesn't have have huge grab of gamers right now and I wonder how many who were thinking of investing to get the game will not based on how they feel they were treated.

So as an Xbox One and PS4 owner I was treated poorly? When 90%+(Not a hard number, but the percentage is massive) don't watch these press conferences or keep up on this information, I think you're overstating the damage something like this could potentially do. Absolutely it will have an effect on the sales, will it be enouh to turn the game from a success to a grand failure? .....No.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#68  Edited By theacidskull
Shaka999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Shaka999

Like someone else said in the other thread, if SE was disappointed with the first game's sales, then why the hell are they bothering to do this?

(Probably because M$ paid them a fuck-ton of money!)

...Alright, why the hell does M$ think that shelling out enough money for a timed exclusive release is going to help them? Maybe it's because I didn't play the first reboot TR, but this seems like a half-assed attempt to get people to buy an Xbone with a game that probably wouldn't move the needle for a lot of people even if it was a full-on exclusive.

Tortoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Tortoise

@kanerobot: oh please, I can moan about one "mega corporation" without necessarily supporting another. Anyone who behaves like a dick deserves criticism, even if only in the form of some asinine comments on a website news story.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Piss poor communication with consumers strikes again. Crystal Dynamics' blog was certainly very clear on this being exclusive exclusive and not timed or console exclusive, and plenty of xbox marketing people were on twitter saying the exact same thing to people. So either someone's issuing untrue statements willingly or it's another case of xbox marketing and their partners being ignorant of their deals and still speaking on them publically. Never change, microsoft.

That said, I do hope the game comes out on PC, because the reboot was a pretty good game and I'd like to be able to play it, but I don't want it enough to buy another console for it. It's not exactly bayonetta 2 we're talking about here.

Maitimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That an effort had to be made to clarify this is a testament to the dishonest way these people talk about exclusives.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ef0a89a161
deactivated-629ef0a89a161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know?....still reads to me as Rise of The Tomb Raider is xbox exclusive but the next game in the franchise wont be. Otherwise they'd be using the bs "coming first to xbox" line.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone I know said 'probably timed'. Except for journalists, because that doesn't bleed, so it doesn't lead.

Oh come on this really does not apply in this case. There is no ambiguity in the wording here and when Geoff Keighley tweeted that the official line was "exclusive on XBox for holiday 2015" thus pointing to a timed exclusive Aaron Greenberg even denied that. Patrick is right in that MS deliberately put out misleading information even when asked for clarification and I think that's pretty gross to be honest. I don't like the whole "first on so and so" wording either and am generally against timed exclusivity but at least the "frist on" makes it fairly clear what's up.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75  Edited By spraynardtatum
theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see no reason to freak out. I just assume when a company is being vague about their exclusives then it's a timed exclusive.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see no reason to freak out. I just assume when a company is being vague about their exclusives then it's a timed exclusive.

This time they were the complete opposite of vague though. Both xbox pr and crystal dynamics were very clear on it being exclusive to xbox and that people on other platforms would get the sequel to guardian of light instead.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By BradBrains

@darkstalker said:

@patrickklepek said:

@usernameya said:

So as an Xbox One and PS4 owner I was treated poorly? When 90%+(Not a hard number, but the percentage is massive) don't watch these press conferences or keep up on this information, I think you're overstating the damage something like this could potentially do. Absolutely it will have an effect on the sales, will it be enouh to turn the game from a success to a grand failure? .....No.

don't get me wrong i don't think it will cause half the people to quit or anything. I just said it would be interesting to see if it would at all. People have boycotted (for lack of better words) products for less. I know for me this kinda stuff makes me think twice about supporting a company when they do stuff like that. am I the minority? probably but its still A group who exists.

I guess my main interest would be sales for this in general rather than anything else.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@usernameya said:

Pretty clear it was coming to 360 too.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now Square gets to sell it for $59.99 Holiday 2015 and for $59.99 Holiday 2016!

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Microsoft continues to add more ammo to my reasoning on why I'm going with the PS4 as my first current gen console. Hearing Sony's openness yesterday is so refreshing compared to Microsoft's use of the word "exclusivity". It just makes me leerier of Microsoft during this current generation.

DedBeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By DedBeet

Timed or not, I still do not envy Sony having to go toe-to-toe with Microsoft in spending money on exclusives, as Microsoft seems to have more to throw around.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedbeet said:

Timed or not, I still do not envy Sony having to go toe-to-toe with Microsoft in spending money on exclusives, as Microsoft seems to have more to throw around.

Yeah, no doubt. They're also in a situation where they have to though, they've pretty much been behind since the very first announcements. They can't change the hardware, so all they can really do is lock down software and make their services awesome. Gold certainly seems like much less of a ripoff now than it was in years past.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By SomeJerk

Ever thought the defensive crying about this was over the top? It's Microsoft astro-turfing doing what it does on forums world-wide again: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=874010

I advise the administrators and tech on Giantbomb to check registered accounts if they are registered with companies such as PRMax, then publically nuking them.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@somejerk said:

Ever thought the defensive crying about this was over the top? It's Microsoft astro-turfing doing what it does on forums world-wide again: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=874010

I advise the administrators and tech on Giantbomb to check registered accounts if they are registered with companies such as PRMax, then publically nuking them.

The console warz has really taken on toll on your sanity hasn't it?

ObiKwiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Is Phil Spencer incapable of talking straight? Just tell people it's a timed exclusive. IT'S NOT THAT HARD.

I'm sure he would like to, but the second he does he will be electric shocked by his PR/marketing overlords.

I'm not defending him, I think it's stupid too. But surely YOU wouldn't want to get shocked very time you told the truth now would you?

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Figured as much. So what the fuck is going on over at MS? I would like to say they are still under going major restructuring but when your major product is being boned 2:1 by the competitor. Yet another pr fuck up is really not looking good. Hey MS, see that sony conference yesterday and how they handle those exclusive/not exclusive announcement? Just fucking do that! Gaming corporations copy each other all the time about everything, just fucking copy sony pr or something.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

lol

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Wait... so is this a "news" articular about what we already know? Its not adding anything is it? What an odd thing to go over.

billyok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait... so is this a "news" articular about what we already know? Its not adding anything is it? What an odd thing to go over.

It's a clarification of what before now was a muddled messaged reported differently by different outlets. Exactly what a news article should be. No quote marks needed.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billyok said:

@hellknightleon said:

It's a clarification of what before now was a muddled messaged reported differently by different outlets. Exactly what a news article should be. No quote marks needed.

Crystal Dynamics have updated their blog post about the deal since the initial announcement and it still reads: "his doesn’t mean that we’re walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4."

Maybe they just haven't gotten around to it yet, or maybe the language by Spencer isn't all that clear. You can still very much read that like "we own this one, but we don't own the franchise, so hope you can play the next one, I guess?"

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what? Good on Phil Spencer for at least communicating with people far more directly than Square and Microsoft decided to. I mate hate his weasely face, but this made me like him quite a bit more.

BooDoug187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XBOX ONE: Wait... lets us explain what we meant...

I have never seen a company having to like overly explain them selves over and over again. They need to either hire a PR team that knows the proper terms for things or really just keep their mouths shut.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Its okay if Silent Hills is PS4 exclusive, but its not okay Rise of the Tomb Raider is XONE exclusive.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could care less if it was Xbox one only. I have one, and will get a PS4 at some point when there is actually a game on the system I want to own *cough Bloodborne*. Still was kinda cool of him to give away as much as he did. He really shouldnt have from a business stand point, so thats really decent of him to even talk about it!

artsandrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By artsandrules

Wouldn't it be great if Microsoft just created awesome content and services, instead of nearly everything they've been doing for almost two years now?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By spraynardtatum
EvanSnicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope the way Sony clearly communicated their "exclusives" yesterday becomes the new norm, for them and everyone else. Still not thrilled with SE, I tried voting with my wallet, bought the reboot (twice) on PlayStation platforms, talked a few other people into it as well, purchased Guardians of Light twice (once for myself, once for my brother). Since giving them money (as millions of others did) didn't seem to send a clear message, maybe not giving them money will. I'm still passing on Osiris, and if Rise of The Tomb Raider makes it's way to PS4, it will be the first time I buy a used game in a decade; they won't be getting any more of my cash.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Loading Video...

Its okay if Silent Hills is PS4 exclusive, but its not okay Rise of the Tomb Raider is XONE exclusive.

Silent Hill games have been fucking garbage in the past few iterations, whereas the new Tomb Raider game was amazing and the franchise showed a lot of promise. I would rather get the new TR game on my PS4 and play SH on my X1. I bought the definitive edition on PS4 and want to try and keep all games in franchise onto one system.