#1 Posted by step2ice (25 posts) -

They were completely obsolete in part 1.

Telling you how the individual strumming patterns should be executed is one key to be able to play a song.

I really hope they do that in this version.

#2 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

I haven't heard anything about that. I'm so psyched for this game though. I'm a bass player so strumming patterns don't really apply.

I hope vinny goes back to it. I was always sad he never revisited rocksmith 1, because by the time I started playing it (Rocksmith Bass) a lot of the problems with the game had been fixed from when he quicklooked it right after release.

#3 Posted by Ramone (2975 posts) -

I tend not to play exact strumming patterns when I'm playing along to songs. Maybe I'm just lazy.

#4 Posted by Snail (8612 posts) -

Call me when they do Progsmith.

#5 Edited by CaptainObvious (2999 posts) -

How about some rhytm basics?

#6 Posted by elfinke (14 posts) -

I was rather annoyed to find that the pack-in guitar cannot be strung and flipped for a lefty. Massive bummer, given how cheap the pack-in guitar and game package is relative to buying a separate guitar.

#7 Edited by stri26 (31 posts) -

Got my pre-order in a couple of days ago. I can't wait.

#8 Edited by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@elfinke said:

I was rather annoyed to find that the pack-in guitar cannot be strung and flipped for a lefty. Massive bummer, given how cheap the pack-in guitar and game package is relative to buying a separate guitar.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to get that pack-in guitar. If your even one iota serious about playing, go to a pawnshop and get a guitar that's twice as good for less money.

#9 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (762 posts) -

At the risk of going off-topic, do you guys know if you can use the same usb instrument plugin from the original Rocksmith?

#10 Edited by stri26 (31 posts) -

@nocookiesforyou: Definitely, they are selling "No cable included" versions of the new game (that's what I bought).

#11 Edited by CheapPoison (737 posts) -

For me the most needed feature is that it will work with other audio interfaces. Then i can pick it up cheapish of off steam someday and just use it.

@elfinke said:

Like someone said above me, get to a pawnshop or craigslist and get something like that. It will serve you way better in the long run and it will probably be just as expensive. You'll have less things to choose from being left handed but, also technically if you have no experience yet consider just learning right handed. It will be weird but learning left handed from scratch will be weird and awkward aswell.

#12 Posted by Sin4profit (2948 posts) -

Meh, i feel like strumming patterns would be unnecessary within the actual gameplay. Maybe add it on as a lesson? One of the things i like about Rocksmith is your ability to improvise. Also i dunno if the software processes the input fast enough to distinguish between up/down chord strumming anyway.

I'd personally like to see more fingerpicking patterns, but i guess they'll save that for Folksmith.

#13 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

this sort of thing isn't usually discussed much in guitar instruction, just in general, as it tends to come down to personal preference unless the song is specifically written to be played in a particular way. For instance, if you are playing a hard rock/metal type riff that requires all downstroke palm muted chords, that will typically be written in the notation. Or if a particular chord needs to be slowly strum to ring each note individually in quick succession, there will be a notation for that as well (usually a vertical squiggly).

#14 Posted by mattoncybertron (68 posts) -

@snail said:

fuck yea, i'd definitely lay down some cash for some Mars Volta or Yes dlc! they threw in some Rush dlc last time, so I really hope they add some cooler stuff down the line.

#15 Edited by Snail (8612 posts) -

@snail said:

fuck yea, i'd definitely lay down some cash for some Mars Volta or Yes dlc! they threw in some Rush dlc last time, so I really hope they add some cooler stuff down the line.

Is the DLC from the previous game compatible with this one (a la Rockband)?

#16 Posted by gumdealer (96 posts) -

@snail said:
@mattoncybertron said:

@snail said:

Is the DLC from the previous game compatible with this one (a la Rockband)?

Yup, with new techniques added as well.

#17 Posted by UngratefulDead (72 posts) -

@snail: I believe so. I know most of the songs from base game can be imported, so I don't see why the DLC wouldn't be.

#18 Posted by elfinke (14 posts) -

I don't live anywhere near the US and access to second hand guitars is not nearly as readily - or easily - achieved locally. Furthermore, there is a lot to be said for the 'grab-and-go'-ness of buying the pack - no research into what makes a good guitar required, for example.

Having said all that, a fortunate meeting with a local muso at the pub last week during open-mic night lead to my buying a new guitar anyway! Can't wait for launch next week, giddyup!

#19 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

The biggest feature for me is the no-load-times. The loading for original Rocksmith (on the PS3 at least) is pretty bad. Having to load between each practice or event eventually killed my interest. I'm waiting for the reviews before I pick up 2014.