• 175 results
Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Must have more gold. My body is starting to atrophy, this is quite troublesome. Paladin...Paladin...Paladin... It's quite possible I've gone insane as I'm seeing enemies where there are none, indeed enemies that exist outside of their normal realm! Shinobi... Miner... Shinobi... Miner... I'm worried I'll wake up tomorrow and the world will be upside down. Archmage...Assassin...Archmage Charon seems to be less of a douchebag today. I'm afraid of.. chickens? Please help.

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By oodli

Donght wurry everi fing iz ohkay.

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dixego

I wish I could play this but a) I can't buy it and b) I don't have a computer powerful enough to run it (really).

I am a sad sad panda ):

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By retrovirus

I know dude, I just played it for, like, 4 1/2 hours. It's like Dark Souls, it's always your fault when you mess up, and you feel like just one more run will get you enough gold to upgrade something useful!

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 49th  Online

Yeah the game is really fun. Fuck the rocket turret though, when you enter a room and it just shoots immediately it's annoying as shit.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th: There's a wide variety of rooms that shoot over a dozen projectiles at you within a second of you entering them; solution is just run in and run out again.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

Hm, I'm not so sure that I'm really interested in the game itself, but the gimmick seems fantastic.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

W-why do my eyes burn so much. Oh god where did those 4 hours go? I need to go sit in a corner for a while.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogue Legacy really seems to nail the Super Meat Boy-style insta-restart. Every time I die, I'm back in the dungeon within seconds. Having a hard time taking a break from the game to type this.

So far my favorite class is the Lich. Bonus health bar for killing enemies? Yes please!

Now I've beaten the first boss and am feeling confident about the second but every time I enter the dark level or attic area I get my ass absolutely handed to me. Once the second boss is out of the way maybe I'll have enough gold to really bulk up my health/mana/armor. Or is just obsessively hunting down every Fairy Chest as the Miner the way to go?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just saw this on GOG, immediately added it to my wishlist.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Rogue Legacy really seems to nail the Super Meat Boy-style insta-restart. Every time I die, I'm back in the dungeon within seconds. Having a hard time taking a break from the game to type this.

So far my favorite class is the Lich. Bonus health bar for killing enemies? Yes please!

Now I've beaten the first boss and am feeling confident about the second but every time I enter the dark level or attic area I get my ass absolutely handed to me. Once the second boss is out of the way maybe I'll have enough gold to really bulk up my health/mana/armor. Or is just obsessively hunting down every Fairy Chest as the Miner the way to go?

Go to the Forest after the Castle, you'll have a much easier time of things. I am getting my ass fucking kicked up in the Maya right now. oh god why do i have six hours played

send help

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@ravenlight: I think Miner is objectively the best class (until you're super-powered); though after an extended absence of like an hour I came back and had a Shinobi run that went on forever, fully cleared the forest and castle and made it about 65% of the way through the tower for a nice tidy sum of 6143 (so like 7900 with a Miner), should be good enough to get +30% gold upgrade. I had so many kills that they went off the screen at the end. Of course I died to an upgraded flying portrait, fuck those things. It's nice when you can one shot almost everything, though dying in 2 hits can be troublesome.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yep, it's 6:30 am and the reason i stopped laying is because my back hurts.

It's a vicious addictive cycle of "just one more run" then getting enough money for an upgrade then going for another run. I totally did not exact this from the QL, took my by surprise. Just got the Litches myself. And the castle keeps expanding with extra wings, and shit is like 50 or 75 tiers of upgrades uuugh.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played about 3 hours and loving it so far, its basically crack.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

I kinda wanna play it but like not for $15 dollars yo. I'll trade someone a copy of Trine 2 for it though. =p

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Devil240Z

I'm hoping this game goes on sale or appears in a humble bundle.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda wanna play it but like not for $15 dollars yo. I'll trade someone a copy of Trine 2 for it though. =p

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20  Edited By Sooperspy

How are the controls with mouse and keyboard? I am not in possession of a gamepad and think this game looks magnificent. I wanna jump the gun and get it, but not if it controls horribly with mouse and keyboard.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redbullet685: It controls great, though you do want to turn on the optional control setting for downward strikes (I imagine you would with a controller as well).

Starting to consistently score 4k or so which takes like 15 minutes so every time I fail to not select an heir that's another 15 minutes lost to the legacy. 10 million with actual gameplay, whodathunkit

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you do want to turn on the optional control setting for downward strikes (I imagine you would with a controller as well).

It works great on a controller; one-button downward strikes are awesome. I was whiffing my downward hits hard before I turned that on. Now it's Pogo City!

@ravenlight: I think Miner is objectively the best class (until you're super-powered); though after an extended absence of like an hour I came back and had a Shinobi run that went on forever, fully cleared the forest and castle and made it about 65% of the way through the tower for a nice tidy sum of 6143 (so like 7900 with a Miner), should be good enough to get +30% gold upgrade. I had so many kills that they went off the screen at the end. Of course I died to an upgraded flying portrait, fuck those things. It's nice when you can one shot almost everything, though dying in 2 hits can be troublesome.

Multiquoting is still fucked up it seems. Anyway, the Miner's gold bonus is awesome. Especially after you get some upgrades for survivability. Vampirism and drain are my go-to runes but I don't think I can do without a double-jump anymore. But after pumping some points into the bonus gold upgrade, I'm pulling in more gold as a Hokage than I am with the Miner since I'm consistently able to make runs like the one you described: running at 1.5x speed and one-shotting everything in my way.

I know I can get better runs but I keep forgetting to use my class abilities/magic. Sword Time is All The Time.

Here's a bonus for everyone since it changed the game for me once I figured it out: If you hit the Jump and Attack buttons at the same time, you'll attack whatever's over your head until the apex of your jump. Real useful since it means you don't have to have room to the side of enemies to attack them.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, thanks for this thread. This game is like Spelunky but so much better. Just got it and played for 3 hours like it was nothing. And I hardly ever do that.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

6 hours since yesterday (not in a row), only need the last class now (sonofa had the almost 6k gold for it earlier and spent it on something else, didnt notice it was right at the top), game is too addictive, 1 boss down, I can clear the first zone easily (more or less) now and Ive clered the second twice now, and fought the boss once. the second boss didnt seem too hard tbh. Game is amazing

Spelunky for gold and Barbarian King for surviability / good dps are my favorite classes

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Mcfart

Amazing game.

Though Vertigo is game breaking. Not in the player's benefit.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#26  Edited By jacksukeru

It is quite devious how you can't spend the gold you got on the last run unless you start another one. Makes it even harder to stop.

Edit: then again I quess you could just quit after that, but then you're already in it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By ajamafalous

I thought Miner was good when I first unlocked it, but the fact that he has such low stats means that I end up getting significantly more gold per run with the other classes (shit like Hokage/Lich King/etc.). I've played for about 5 hours (and another ~5 hour on the demo), and I'm at the point where the castle isn't even worth my time anymore and every run starts with me barreling to the right to try to find the forest. A little disappointed that you can't refight the bosses you've beaten; I killed the first boss using the architect to go there immediately and I figured I'd be able to farm him as much as I wanted.

Game is really, really good, though. I've been aching for a new game that I can play in short bursts and this is definitely it.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By winsord

Game's definitely got its hooks into me, seemingly like most everyone else in this thread. I played for about three hours last night, and only stopped because I had the concious though of, "I should go and actually do something for a little bit". The first boss ended up being really easy since I already knew his patterns from having played the demo, but it was still fun; I've yet to find the forest boss.

I'm absolutely terrible at remembering to lock down the castle though. There have been times where I see a secret chest only dwarves can get to, and I'll lock down for like three generations, finally get a character with dwarfism, and book it into the castle without locking it down first. I also feel dumb for buying the "Keep 6% of your gold" perk or whatever, since it cost almost 1000 gold to buy and I've never gotten to keep more than like 12 gold from it. I bought both the "make the game easier but have worse rewards" and the "make the game harder and get better rewards" runes last night, so I think I might mess around with the latter for a bit in the castle before pressing onwards and into the forest.

Can't recommend this game enough though, super fun and addictive. Probably should hold off for a little if you're doing exams or working on a paper.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@ajamafalous: Farming bosses would be gamebreaking ultimately due to the stats gained and in general the speed you can kill them relative to the gold received.

@ravenlight: Vampirism is too good I think, the game is crazy hard without it and kind of too easy with it; needs to be some level of balance. A lot of rooms in the game are really hard to do without one vault rune so yeah I think that's permanent as well. Some mix of vault/bounty/vampirism runes is the best setup methinks. Retaliation is good for the third boss. You need like 8000 gold to get the 4th gold upgrade, which is difficult to get without the miner.

@mcfart: I don't think Vertigo is game-breaking, it's just very disorienting; nothing actually changes about the game except maybe some unique room layouts; one of my best super early runs was in Vertigo. Now I won't pick it most of the time since I don't have faith in myself to do well but there's no reason you couldn't.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Just had a 15 minute long vertigo run that went really well, only problem is my brain is convinced the ceiling is the floor now on regular runs... Sanity is overrated anyway.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lanechanger

Game is super fun.

My favorite class is Hokage right now I think. Just due to my style, I usually play a glass cannon, and Hokage's pretty much a physical glass cannon. I can't stay alive long enough as the arch-mage to make that work. Assassin and Paladin are decent defensive classes for me too with their class abilities.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the run immediately after the vertigo run I got 18.5k gold, 3 times my previous best; I submit this as incontrovertible evidence that Vertigo is the best condition, ceilings are floors, floors are ceilings and all is right with the world.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Popogeejo

I just unlocked the Miner and I have the Paladin, Arch Mage, Barbarian Royal and whatever the upgraded Knave is called (Assassin?) Miner upgrade not counting, how many more classes can I look forward to?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@popogeejo: At least 4, one of them completely changes how the game is played.

abara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Miner was good when I first unlocked it, but the fact that he has such low stats means that I end up getting significantly more gold per run with the other classes (shit like Hokage/Lich King/etc.).

Yeah I probably wasted a few dozen runs by going with the Miner at first, not realizing how much faster I was dying than if I'd just used a Paladin or other more powerful classes and lasted longer. You really need some decent upgrades/runes before the Miner gets over the difficulty hump and becomes a viable option.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Miner upgrade has a built-in compass which works great for finding chests/runes quickly and finding boss rooms (only room with 2 adjacent chests).

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By crusader8463

I'm waiting for it to go on sale. I like the idea of it but some of the stuff I have seen in that game just looks like frustration incarnate and nothing else.

dvdhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Is the giant Eye Ball the first boss? Been running into him alot in my castles and am only level 13 or so, but he is level 27. If he is guess that means I need to grind more gold and upgrade more stats before taking him on.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dvdhaus said:

Is the giant Eye Ball the first boss? Been running into him alot in my castles and am only level 13 or so, but he is level 27. If he is guess that means I need to grind more gold and upgrade more stats before taking him on.

Yup.

He's actually not hard if you know his pattern. I beat him without being hit once.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@greggd said:

Just saw this on GOG, immediately added it to my wishlist.

It's immediately getting bought as soon as I get my paycheck on Monday.

Also, fuck all of you who are playing it right now. Seriously, fuck you. Every word that you type about this game is making me want to play it so much more than I already did after that Quick Look! GODDAMMIT!

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pre-ordered it after that QL. It was only 10 bucks!

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abara said:

@ajamafalous said:

I thought Miner was good when I first unlocked it, but the fact that he has such low stats means that I end up getting significantly more gold per run with the other classes (shit like Hokage/Lich King/etc.).

Yeah I probably wasted a few dozen runs by going with the Miner at first, not realizing how much faster I was dying than if I'd just used a Paladin or other more powerful classes and lasted longer. You really need some decent upgrades/runes before the Miner gets over the difficulty hump and becomes a viable option.

I think the Miner is for people that are just grinding areas they've already completed to get some quick money. I can clear just about every wing but The Darkness even though I haven't finished the boss in the Maya yet without much trouble; I make about 13k a run on anything but a Miner, so I am waiting to give that a try...

The most important stat for me to upgrade is damage. If I can one shot enemies I don't need to worry about fighting them for as long as I would otherwise. That goes a real long way. Also try to get some gear with Siphon.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

The last class is the best one.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a trick for the Maya boss? I keep running out of room to maneuver and dying from attrition. Does the barbarian shout knock back the junk the boss spits out?

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 30

Just downloaded it and played 2+ hours straight. Holy crap this game is awesome. Finally started to get the hang of it and stopped having runs that only lasted 2 minutes.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 49th  Online

Just beat the castle and forest boss in a row. They are not too bad once you get a decent sword.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Bought the game, 2 hours go by, eyes are bleeding.

Yep, it gets the seal of approval.

No Caption Provided

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@ravenlight: Retaliation runes can take out the spikes, for the boss you want to alternate larger and smaller circles, the closer you are to the boss the more likely he is to do his charge which leaves him vulnerable (to hit him on the move safely you have to attack and then move immediately so you wind up moving backward and attacking in unison) and also slows him down enough to keep the fire at bay. Boss isn't different on NG+ at all except stats and is way easier than getting to him once you're good at it, also bitchin' music.

@jakob187: More shit to make you want to play it more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw_tCj3S75g

The fourth boss is basically this game's equivalent of Four Kings from Dark Souls in that you'll need something broken to beat it for you more or less, since avoiding all damage normally is nigh impossible. There's probably at least a few dozen ways to beat it but it does require you having a good heir. That said it's not as frustratingly stupid as Four Kings and gives the illusion of progress even when you aren't actually making that much headway.

I spent 2-3 hours beating the last boss without grinding (level 120), that was reasonably interesting. Unfortunately NG+ is fucking nuts so that probably set me back another 100 deaths or something since I could easily roam around and clear most of the normal map but there's no way back. Last boss isn't as much about pattern recognition as the others, though that still plays something of a role. Miner's compass is a Godsend in NG+

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was definitely one of those games I had to play before I thought anything of it. It seemed alright, but now that I've played the demo I'm definitely going to pick this up on Steam. It's fairly addictive and the game has some interesting mechanics (like giving the architect 50% of your earning to keep the level layout the same) the further you get into it.

Edge of Space has also piqued my interest.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By newmoneytrash

I reeeeeally hope they bring this to the Vita. It seems like the kind of game that I would much rather play in short busts on a handheld rather than PC.