Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

RollerCoaster Tycoon

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 31, 1999

In this simulation game players assume control of a theme park, where they can add new rides, manage the park's upkeep, and even design their very own roller coasters.

Running RollerCoaster Tycoon in Windows 7 (or Vista, etc.)

holybins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By holybins

Posting this as another "data point" on the web for instructions on getting RollerCoaster Tycoon working properly on Windows 7, Vista, etc.  I recently dug this game (and Loopy Landscapes) out of my collection and was disappointed to see that, running as a normal executable, the game will only run in windowed mode.  Also, if you run in Windows 95 or 98 compatibility mode, you can't load or save games, but it will run in full-screen.   

To get the game working 100%, just do the following: 

• Install the game normally, there are no problems with the installer for plain RCT or Loopy Landscapes.
    • Find the latest patch
    1. The latest plain RCT patch can be found here =>  http://download.cnet.com/RollerCoaster-Tycoon-2-2-8-patch/3000-18541_4-10236743.html?tag=mncol;5
    2. The Loopy Landscapes patch is required to run on any modern Windows OS, it can be found here =>  http://download.cnet.com/RollerCoaster-Tycoon-Loopy-Landscapes-1-20-013-patch/3000-18541_4-10236745.html
      • Right-click the shortcut made for the RCT executable during installation (or make your own), go to "Properties", and select the following under the "Compatibility" tab:
    1. Check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" checkbox and select "Windows 95" - Windows 98 works fine too.
    2. In the "Settings" section of checkboxes, check the "Disable visual themes" checkbox.  Visual themes in a modern Windows OS prevents the Windows-native save and load dialogs from properly displaying in the game.

And that's it, enjoy reliving RCT (or experiencing it for the first time, in which case i envy you!) 

--Chuck
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By infininja
    @holybins: All I did was put the executable in the Data Execution Prevention exceptions and it worked fine.
    Magmire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Magmire

The download link to the patch is for RCT2, and not RCT1. Also, there are alot of "hidden" data that you download (cant comfirm if virus) that comes with it. I would not recommend downloading!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.