Rule of Rose

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was going through some of my PS2 games earlier today, and I found that I had a complete copy of Rule of Rose in pretty decent condition. For shits and giggles, I decided to look up prices on ebay, and I was pretty surprised at how expensive it is, especially since I recall the game its-self being kinda bad. So I'm wondering, what do people here think of this game?

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still super bummed my dumb twenty-something self traded my copy in. Not because I'd want to sell it now, but because I never got to finish it, and with the current value of the game, I probably won't.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Socuteboss

@dourin:

I'd recommend just watching a play though on you tube, the story and setting are excellent, but the actual game play is hot garbage. Definitely not worth the price of entry these days.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dourin: there is a real simple way to mod a ps2 with a memory card where you could play a copy if you can find it online. I usually dont condone it but ps2 is ancient at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a lot of cult classics/games that didn't sell well spike just because there's no copies in the wild. You'll also notice that those prices drop if there's a re-release.

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madman356647: especially so with this game, as this is an Atlus game from the era when they released 5 copies of their games and then sealed the game away in the Atlus vault.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By monkeyking1969

As I recall the game play wasn't so hot. It looked interesting and likley had a good story for the time, but it didn't play in an especially noteworthy way. It liklley sold because people were 'interigued' by the possible erotic undertones involving a cast of female characters. As i recall most people found, despite the controversy, that that any implied erotic element were over-blown...but I never played it.

I would say, it might be due for a 're-imagining' in modern terms. But, I wonder who holds the IP? Punchline Inc, Sony or Atlus?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's one of those games that had a lot of buzz for all the wrong reasons at time of release and subsequently everyone has forgotten about it. Interesting setting and premise thats for sure. As you said, hot garbage survival horror gameplay really sandbagged it, but it was a product of the times.

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By RainDog505

@oursin_360: It's a little more in-depth than that to modify a PS2---but we'll keep that talk off this forum for obvious reasons.

@socuteboss: The game is well revered by the same crew of people on the web who love the original Clock Tower games. And like Clock Tower, Rule of Rose was story, presentation and chills before gameplay---way before gameplay. Might not be a bad Halloween time throwback, especially with a FAQ. But if your copy is sealed, you're probably better off pinching it for 100 bucks and moving on and checking it out though...cough....other means.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw a LP of this game a while back and remember finding the story and atmosphere really great. As others have ntoed though the gameplay seemed lacking.

Asstruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just remember the headlines and bought Siren and Clock Tower instead. Fucking Siren, what a piece of shit that was.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Socuteboss

@raindog505:

unfortunately it's not sealed because I played it way back when, but even still it can fetch a decent price as the case and manual are both in pretty good shape. As for the comparison to Clock Tower, I'd almost say that RoR has significantly worse game play, mostly in part due to the games weird insistence on forcing you into combat situations when the combat felt like an even worse version of the old Silent Hill style.