#1 Posted by mauleace1 (8 posts) -

When Ryan was born, we wanted to include a family name in his middle name. I adored my grandfather, he was a good man with many traits I could only pray Ryan would inherit. Everyone called him CT, so somehow I got it in my head that the "T" was for Thomas. So, we named him Ryan Thomas Davis. At some point after Ryan was home, I proudly told my mother that Ryan's middle name was after her father. She laughed and proceeded to inform me that grandpa's middle name was Taswell. Too late to change it, so, it stayed the same.

When Ryan was growing up, I told him the story of how I fucked up and named him Thomas when I meant to name him Taswell, after my grandfather. He really thought this was great. At one point he wanted me to legally make the change from Thomas to Taswell. That wasn't going to happen.

He liked Taswell so much that when games and internet aliases came along, Ryan used Taswell.

In later years, he came to know more about his great grandfaather and I think he was honoring him in his own way. Great Grandfather was Clarence Taswell

#2 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4294 posts) -

That was a great story, Mr. Davis. I'm sorry for your loss.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (19046 posts) -

Thanks for the story!

#4 Posted by Hailinel (25201 posts) -

Thank you for sharing this, Mr. Davis.

#5 Edited by Drebin_893 (2926 posts) -

That's such a good story. Thank you Mr Davis, I'm sorry for everything that's happened.

#6 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Taswell is so badass. I love old names like that.

#7 Posted by buft (3321 posts) -

This was actually something I was wondering about recently, i appreciate the story Mr.Davis.

#8 Edited by TruthTellah (9396 posts) -

Thanks for sharing the story, Mr. Davis. I heard Jeff's explanation yesterday, but this is even more thorough. Taswell is a fantastic name that Ryan clearly presented with pride.

#9 Edited by doejonathan (172 posts) -

Thank you for sharing this story. I always liked how Ryan had this boyish glee whenever he proudly claimed his initials stood for Rough, Tough and Dangerous. Something he must have come up with in his teens, and he never lost that delight. My sincere condolences Mr. Davis.

#10 Edited by probablytuna (3795 posts) -

I've never heard of Taswell as a name until I saw Ryan using it for his game profile on Xbox(?) and I think he shall remain the only Taswell I will know. Thank you for sharing this story.

#11 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

I was always curious about the name, thanks for telling us about it. I'm truly sorry for your loss.

#12 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2390 posts) -

Thank you Mr. Davis for sharing this story.

#13 Posted by Gravier251 (217 posts) -

Thank you for sharing this, Taswell is a pretty great, unusual name. I did always wonder where it came from. The guys did speak on it briefly on the podcast yesterday but this was a lot more detailed. I am really sorry for your loss, he will be deeply missed.

#14 Posted by Rabbykayn (227 posts) -

Thank you so much for coming here to share that with us.

#15 Posted by DEFE (266 posts) -

Thank you for sharing the story, sir, and thank you for helping to bring Ryan into this world. My prayers go out to you and to all who have been affected by his passing.

#16 Edited by ajamafalous (12121 posts) -

Thank you for sharing, Mr. Davis.

#17 Edited by CaLe (4039 posts) -

Thank you for sharing the story with us, I feel like I've gotten to know Ryan a little better after reading that. You have nothing but my respect, my sympathies, and my utter appreciation for giving us all the chance to come to know and love your awesome son, Mr. Davis.

Ryan would probably laugh at all of us calling his dad Mr. Davis!

#18 Posted by mauleace1 (8 posts) -

@doejonathan: I worked most of my life in the transit industry. RTD is a common acronym in transit, Rapid Transit District. There are several in the US that use this. I gave Ryan several RTD decals. Ryan could move amazingly fast and nimble for a guy his size.

#19 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

Thanks for sharing all of these details over the last few days, Mr. Davis. We all love to hear about Ryan, makes us remember him better.

#20 Edited by Zero_ (1977 posts) -

That's a really awesome story, and totally does sound like Ryan.

If it's alright - would you mind, or anyone else that knows, expand on the story behind his "mom" in binary tattoo?

#21 Edited by mauleace1 (8 posts) -

@zero_: Simple, Ryan loved his Mom, he was a creative geek and a nerd. Alcohol may have been involved.

#22 Posted by Itwongo (1231 posts) -

Both of these stories are great :) thanks for sharing

#23 Edited by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

Great story. Big thanks for sharing!!

#24 Posted by MocBucket62 (1261 posts) -

Thank you very much for the story, Mr. Davis. Always wondered why Taswell was used so often by Ryan.

#25 Posted by cloudymusic (1218 posts) -

Thank you for sharing, sir.

#26 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

Thanks for sharing all of this stuff about Ryan Mr. Davis. Many of us here at Giant Bomb never got the chance to meet Ryan, but his always cheerful nature, sense of humor and incredible skill for writing and presenting left an impression on so many people, myself included.

He really was an inspiration, a one of a kind duder and I will miss his presence greatly. I am so sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you and everyone else that was close to Ryan.

#27 Posted by Accolade (355 posts) -

Thank you, sir.

#28 Posted by Kierkegaard (605 posts) -

@mauleace1: To log on to a website of strangers who loved your son and share stories is truly kind of you. Thank you.

#29 Posted by MonetaryDread (2129 posts) -

Thank you for the story Mr. Davis. Your son will be fondly remembered.

#30 Posted by kishinfoulux (2454 posts) -

@mauleace1: To log on to a website of strangers who loved your son and share stories is truly kind of you. Thank you.

This.

Cool to hear from you and Jeff on where the "Taswell" name came from. I had always wondered about that.

#31 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Taswell is a pretty awesome, antique name. Thanks for sharing that story.

#32 Posted by development (2559 posts) -

That's actually a really funny situation, that probably just added to the charm of the name for Ryan.

#33 Posted by kylenalepa (132 posts) -

I was actually wondering this myself - cool to hear the story behind it! Taswell is a pretty awesome name.

#34 Posted by Vrikk (933 posts) -

What a great story. You're a great father with an equally great son. He was loved by many. I'm sorry for what your family has gone through.

#35 Edited by Rick_Fingers (523 posts) -

Great story and I appreciate you sharing it with us all.

I am truly sorry for your loss. My condolences and best wishes to yourself and your loved ones - Ryan will be missed by us all.

#36 Edited by WMoyer83 (650 posts) -

What a great story, thank you Mr. Davis.

#37 Edited by Hassun (1594 posts) -

Clarence Taswell is a pretty great name.

#38 Posted by Game_Baron (119 posts) -

That is indeed a great story to a great name. Your son made a lot of people happy, sir.

#39 Posted by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

Thank you sir.