This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

And another game was censored in the US because of nudity. It is always astounding how violence is totally fine in the US but not nudity. Even in my country Germany it is fine but we have sadly the opposite here..

This media can not mature with bullshit like that...

Comment from Crytek:

Well, let’s just say that there are certain missions in the game that have risqué portions. I can’t talk more about it. It’s fine in Germany. That’s okay in Germany. In the Untied States, we had to cut some stuff out but, yeah, there are some. I mean it’s the Roman Empire, you know, and everyone knows what the Roman Empire was about. So we tried to keep it tasteful but at the same time we also rallied from history, you know, and try to make you feel like you are in that time period. And that’s not a euphemism for something.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ryse-son-of-rome-design-director-comments-on-cutting-sex-scenes-u-s

#2 Posted by onyxghost (307 posts) -

Well, meh. That's America. We love the violence, but boobs still make us blush. Never going to change. It is a drag for sure. Then again, if you really need boobs in you life you are on the Internet.

#3 Edited by MB (12283 posts) -

I think you either misread or misinterpreted the article, or didn't read it at all. It doesn't state anywhere that the game was "censored" due to nudity, in fact, Estevez clearly says that he will not discuss the content that was cut from the game. I think I speak for everyone when I say that if you're going to share news articles you find with the Giant Bomb community, at least get the facts straight. I mean really, the name of the article even has "design director comments on cutting sex scenes" in it.

He hints at what the cut material could be, though. Anyone familiar with ancient Roman society can give you plenty of examples of behavior that could be in the game that may be removed from different versions, but I really don't want to get into some of that stuff here.

#4 Edited by Sinusoidal (1429 posts) -

Wait. How risque are we talking here? Was God of War censored in the US? Is this 1992 and Mortal Kombat has come out all over again?

#5 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Taking that stuff out probably won't affect the game in any real, meaningful way... but its still kind of dumb. I mean I may not like everything that appears in every video game but I respect that its the developer's right to make the game the way they want to. If I find it objectionable or uninteresting I'll just not buy it and occasionally make a sarcastic comment about it on a message board.

#6 Edited by SomeJerk (3219 posts) -

Speak of the devil, Ryse ESRB at M, it's PG18 in Europe: http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=33200

Rating Summary: This is an action game in which players assume the role of Marius Titus, a Roman soldier who seeks revenge for the slaying of his family. Players use swords and spears to kill barbarian hoards in frenetic melee-style combat. Battles are highlighted by slow-motion and blood-splatter effects; enemies are frequently impaled, decapitated, and dismembered. Some environments depict bloody limbs and dismembered corpses on spikes. Cutscenes also depict intense acts of violence: caged soldiers burned alive; a character repeatedly stabbed with a knife. During the course of the game, female characters are sometimes depicted topless (e.g., pasties over breasts; covered in body paint). One brief sequence depicts a dancer bending down in front of a man (fellatio is implied)—there is no depiction of the sex act. The word “f**k” can be heard in the game.

Still guessing they cut hints of ancient Rome man on man acts knowing it would never ever fly

#7 Posted by Sinusoidal (1429 posts) -

Wait again... I went back and read the link in the OP. Examiner.com?!? Bwahaha! It's a terribly written article that mentions some place called the "Untied States" no less than three times.

#8 Edited by Shortbreadtom (762 posts) -

@somejerk: Man, those "risque scenes" don't sound tasteful at all. At least David Jaffe never pretended that the sex scenes in God of War were anything more than a power fantasy.

#9 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@mb said:

I think you either misread or misinterpreted the article, or didn't read it at all. It doesn't state anywhere that the game was "censored" due to nudity, in fact, Estevez clearly says that he will not discuss the content that was cut from the game. I think I speak for everyone when I say that if you're going to share news articles you find with the Giant Bomb community, at least get the facts straight. I mean really, the name of the article even has "design director comments on cutting sex scenes" in it.

He hints at what the cut material could be, though. Anyone familiar with ancient Roman society can give you plenty of examples of behavior that could be in the game that may be removed from different versions, but I really don't want to get into some of that stuff here.

First of all Germany is no country where you can put out games with really heavy violence but sex and nudity is totally fine. That is what he means when he said risque scenes and that this is okay in Germany. And that he said that they tried to keep it tasteful. Ever heard such a comment in terms of violence? He just does not want to comment on it because of spoiler. however if you read further.

The Electronic Entertainment Board recently disclosed that the Untied States version of “Ryse: Son of Rome” features partial nudity and sexual content. Some females in the game appear topless with body paint and pastries covering exposed areas. Furthermore, one sequence also implied a female giving fellatio. No explicit sex scene was mentioned in the rating summary.

With no doubt it is because of sex and nudity in this game. Also I used the term nudity because you will never see real sex scenes in western games. With that I mean hardcore stuff you can find in adult Japanese games for example. It is all very softcore

#10 Edited by leebmx (2238 posts) -

@darji said:

features partial nudity and sexual content. Some females in the game appear topless with body paint and pastries covering exposed areas.

Sounds delicious :) Is this some kind of Ancient Roman version of eating Sushi off a naked lady?

#12 Posted by Brodehouse (9887 posts) -

The only things Romans liked more than fucking dudes was killing them, so this is accurate.

It's actually very similar to modern western life. There would be these big periods of liberation and experimentation and new trends, and then long periods of social conservatism and 'traditional life'.

#13 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2296 posts) -

So nipples get censored but DNF came out just fine?

#14 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7079 posts) -

Censorship is forced. He doesn't make it sound at all like they were forced to change anything, thus this doesn't sound like censorship.

#15 Posted by SlashDance (1814 posts) -

I assume this was in reaction to feedback from the ESRB, right? At some point, what could possibly happen if they decide to ignore it? They're gonna rate it AO because you see a naked lady at some point?

This is dumb.

#16 Edited by Fatcat222 (31 posts) -
#17 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7079 posts) -

@fatcat222: I guess but censorship has a very nasty connotation to it and this just sounds like, "Eh. We just didn't want to deal with the potential backlash." And I can't imagine a fellatio scene is home to any crucial story beats. I'm not too worried about it (mainly because the game doesn't look all that good.)

#18 Posted by Brodehouse (9887 posts) -

Censorship is forced. He doesn't make it sound at all like they were forced to change anything, thus this doesn't sound like censorship.

It sounds like they knew they shouldn't even bother trying and changed it before they could even get censored. They didn't make the change because they thought it would make for a better game, or because they decided they didn't want it in their game, they did it to conform to 'popular' American norms. Which is "all sexuality is sexist and abusive and bad". You seem to think that because these creators are backing down to avoid a confrontation that it means that there's no pressure on them to change their art to conform to match social norms. But there is pressure, and it is factoring into their decision making, they admitted it themselves. And you're not alone, I've seen a lot of people on this forum equate self-censorship to not be censorship.

I see that as the exact same situation as a gay guy going to his school dressed as plain and 'straight' as possible, in fear that if they outed themselves, there would be a confrontation and even if they 'won', they would lose. If you look at that situation and say "he wasn't forced to change anything, that's not censorship", well you'd be technically correct (the best kind of correct).

#19 Edited by MideooonNVisceraaa (9 posts) -
#20 Posted by TurboMan (7512 posts) -

These boobs are too realistic!

#21 Edited by Abendlaender (2789 posts) -

I am constantly amused by how censorship works in Europe and in the US. Here people get replaced by robots or (famously seen in Half Life 1) just sit down and shake their head if you shoot them, while in the US people get dressed. It's....hilarious to say the least. At some point we are going to see robot people having sex, believe me. And after that they will sit down and shake their robot head in disappointment.

#22 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1959 posts) -

I wonder what kind of pastries they used to cover exposed areas?

#23 Posted by Spoonman671 (4604 posts) -

Plenty of games have nudity and sex in them. There must be something more.

Also, not censorship.

#24 Edited by Flacracker (1661 posts) -

@slashdance: No. They probably rate it AO if you see some people fucking. Plenty of games have female nudity.

#25 Posted by SlashDance (1814 posts) -

@flacracker: and yet GTA IV and V are rated M. The ESRB doesn't make sense.

#26 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

And I can't imagine a fellatio scene is home to any crucial story beats.

Then have I got a screenplay for you! It's called The Ultimate Dicksucker and it stars Bob Odenkirk

#27 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

Also

Close thread?

#28 Edited by GaspoweR (2961 posts) -

@darji said:

@mb said:

First of all Germany is no country where you can put out games with really heavy violence but sex and nudity is totally fine. That is what he means when he said risque scenes and that this is okay in Germany. And that he said that they tried to keep it tasteful. Ever heard such a comment in terms of violence? He just does not want to comment on it because of spoiler. however if you read further.

The Electronic Entertainment Board recently disclosed that the Untied States version of “Ryse: Son of Rome” features partial nudity and sexual content. Some females in the game appear topless with body paint and pastries covering exposed areas. Furthermore, one sequence also implied a female giving fellatio. No explicit sex scene was mentioned in the rating summary.

With no doubt it is because of sex and nudity in this game. Also I used the term nudity because you will never see real sex scenes in western games. With that I mean hardcore stuff you can find in adult Japanese games for example. It is all very softcore

MB wasn't arguing about the content but he was referring to you saying in the title that it was "censored" since in fact it wasn't censored, it was just never included in the final version of the game even though it was something that was considered. The design director just mentioned the Germany-US differences for more context as to why they ended up not going through with having scenes like that in the final version of the game and from the way it was said it did sound as if they were censoring it but in fact that wasn't the case, it was just not included for the reasons he mentioned in the article. If it was censored than it would have originally had been in the game than they later had to patch out or do something to address a scene, etc. after the fact or rather said scenes would have been coded and then they had to remove or alter it after it has already been included.

#29 Edited by Nasar7 (2627 posts) -

@mildmolasses said:

@mariachimacabre said:

And I can't imagine a fellatio scene is home to any crucial story beats.

Then have I got a screenplay for you! It's called The Ultimate Dicksucker and it stars Bob Odenkirk

Clearly have never watched Spartacus.

#30 Edited by Hailinel (24426 posts) -

@gaspower said:

@darji said:

@mb said:

MB wasn't arguing about the content but he was referring to you saying in the title that it was "censored" since in fact it wasn't censored, it was just never included in the final version of the game even though it was something that was considered. The design director just mentioned the Germany-US differences for more context as to why they ended up not going through with having scenes like that in the final version of the game and from the way it was said it did sound as if they were censoring it but in fact that wasn't the case, it was just not included for the reasons he mentioned in the article. If it was censored than it would have originally had been in the game than they later had to patch out or do something to address a scene, etc. after the fact or rather said scenes would have been coded and then they had to remove or alter it after it has already been included.

All of this. Thinking about including certain content and then deciding against including it is not the same thing as censorship.

#31 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

They took out

#32 Posted by dudeglove (7774 posts) -

GODDAMMIT I WANT ANCIENT ROMAN DONG

#33 Posted by Chaser324 (6436 posts) -

Locking this down because it's based entirely on a misinterpretation of an article.

I don't necessarily blame you though. The article is poorly written and easy to misinterpret.