• 164 results
#1 Edited by jimmyfenix (3831 posts) -

So i was browsing Gamasutra earlier and found this gem. I do not know why they would tweet this

This resulted in some funny tweets and some not funny tweets directed at Crytek and Ryse.

The

#RyseFacts

hashtag on Twitter was definitely one to watch last night. What started as a "fact" about late night office dinners for the team behind upcoming Xbox One game

Ryse: Son of Rome

soon snowballed into dozens of developers sounding off about development crunch.

The Crytek team is currently putting numerous extra hours of work into development of the Xbox One launch title, in the run-up to release next month.

In an ill-advised tweet, the official

Ryse

account explained that "we will have served the crunching team more than 11,500 dinners throughout development." The hashtag #RyseFacts was plopped on the end for good measure.

What followed was a torrent of game developers displaying their dismay at not simply the fact that the Crytek team is crunching on its latest game, but that the tweet appears to suggest a level of pride in this fact.

Below, we've collected together many of the thoughts of game developers following the tweets. Reactions range from thoughts on how crunch can affect the lives of developers, to more tongue-in-cheek criticisms of the original tweet.

For more information on how crunch affects video game developers, check out

the Game Developer Quality-of-Life survey

from earlier this year.

Here is a couple of tweets which were linked in the Gamasutra article.

With Ubisoft delaying Watch_dogs , Sony "Allegedly" delaying driveclub , Microsoft & Crytek not making positive headlines in relation to RYSE this week has been a very bad week in the games industry with only a month till next gen consoles hit the street.

#2 Posted by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

I saw a tweet by Cliff Bleszinski saying that 'crunch=bad management'.

#3 Edited by AMyggen (2587 posts) -

I'm not sure I would call this a "PR nightmare", but yeah, not a smart tweet.

It does seem like the consoles and the games are coming in very hot though, so we'll see how it turns out.

#4 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Wait, how is this a PR Nightmare or are you just using hyperbole?
All it is is a bunch of funny tweets that some people might take super seriously because.. well they're special like that and others will just laugh at and go "Oh, launch titles".
Everytime someone used the #RyseFacts hashtag was another advertisement for their game, for free. #EvenfunnierRyseFactYouWalkingAdvertisements, haha :D

#5 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

All it is is a bunch of funny tweets that some people might take super seriously because.. well they're special like that and others will just laugh at and go "Oh, launch titles".

Everytime someone used the #RyseFacts hashtag was another advertisement for their game, for free. #EvenfunnierRyseFactYouWalkingAdvertisements, haha :D

It was really bad yesterday and twitter drama is going very fast around these "game sites" The neogaf thread about this was hilarious. I think it just showed that no matter what MS or something related to the XboX one does right now is getting backlash at all cost.

#6 Edited by SunBroZak (1027 posts) -
#7 Edited by Milkman (16540 posts) -

It's a stupid tweet. The fact that all your employees are being forced to work overtime to finish your game, while a fact of AAA game development, is not something to boast.

On top of that, this game is going to be bad. #RyseFacts

#8 Edited by jimmyfenix (3831 posts) -
#9 Edited by EXTomar (4508 posts) -

I'll give you a hint: You want to celebrate things you are proud of like creating a well crafted product. On the other hand, missing family meals to make a dead line is not something to be proud of doing. Counting them up sounds even worse. And it looks multiplicative worse if it turns out Ryse is just a mediocre launch game.

#10 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

The way to show you shouldn't give your employees a horrible time is by everyone getting together and giving the guys who runs their twitter a horrible time.....

#11 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@darji said:

@zeforgotten said:

It was really bad yesterday and twitter drama is going very fast around these "game sites" The neogaf thread about this was hilarious. I think it just showed that no matter what MS or something related to the XboX one does right now is getting backlash at all cost.

I think the important thing here is that there was a thread on NeoGaf that was apparantly hilarious for once :P
And if Twitter Drama or Forum Drama counted for anything then none of these new consoles (Xbox One or PS4) would launch ever.

Luckily for us sane people, none of it matters at all, so we get to play games all over the place still, so.. yay for us, right? :p

@jimmyfenix: Aaw, kerfuffle or a "brouhaha" would've sounded funnier :P Oh well at least it still sounds better and less dramatic :P

#12 Edited by joshwent (2139 posts) -

Now that's some (button) mash I can get behind!

#13 Edited by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

haha Oh no! Not overtime! Do you not get paid overtime to make terrible games or something?

#14 Edited by AMyggen (2587 posts) -

@zeforgotten: I wouldn't say that it doesn't matter at all for me, to "brag" about such working conditions is incredibly stupid. But yeah, it's pretty much industry standard at this point, and GAF's reaction lends credibility to the nickname "SonyGAF". I'm a member of GAF and have enjoyed that forum for years, and I'll buy a PS4 before I buy a Xbone, but MS gets more undeserved hate over there than almost anywhere else on the internet right now.

edit: That statement is more in general, the thread regarding this isn't so bad.

#15 Edited by Chaser324 (6331 posts) -

@mideonnviscera: Most salaried employees do not get paid overtime. Those 11,500 dinners are likely the only compensation they receive for the extra time they work.

@jasonr86 said:

I saw a tweet by Cliff Bleszinski saying that 'crunch=bad management'.

To some extent this is probably true, but the bottom line is that some crunch is almost inevitable. It's only really a big issue when companies try to shift their employees into crunch mode for weeks or months on end without relief.

#16 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@amyggen: As a member of GAF you aren't surprised by the hate for Microsoft though, are you?
As a previous member, I'm not exactly surprised. It's like Gamespot System Wars, only one side has been gassed and it wasn't Sonys side :P

#17 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

Also it needs to be instead of a plate him holding a scone and it being "son of scone"

#18 Posted by iAmJohn (6109 posts) -

Not gonna lie, that Klei tweet was hilariously catty.

#19 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@zeforgotten: Well it doesn't help that half of the people here that like to call themselves members of Neogaf are crazy insane

#20 Posted by chiablo (907 posts) -

11,500 dinners / 600 employees = 19 days.

19 days isn't much of a crunch.

#21 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
#22 Edited by pyrodactyl (1890 posts) -

@mideonnviscera said:

haha Oh no! Not overtime! Do you not get paid overtime to make terrible games or something?

Game devs don't get overtime. They make their salaries on a contractual annual basis. They work 70 hour weeks, at night or on weekends and don't get paid a cent more than when they're working 40h weeks.

Also, man, if only they spent those crunch hours on a game that looked half decent.

It seems like Crytech took all the wrong lessons from crysis.

#23 Posted by AMyggen (2587 posts) -

@zeforgotten: Well, it's true that GAF has had a pretty heavy Sony bias the last few years at least. But I think that's mostly because of how MS has been seen as "abandoning" the hardcore gamer with such a heavy focus on Kinect, very few exclusives that that crowd cares about etc. I think that's much of the reason why the majority of users seem to have preferred Sony these last few years, me included.

It's quite different with this new generation though, where the bias seems to have been turned up to 11. I can understand some of it from a consumer standpoint, and MS has surely done a lot to burn a lot of bridges, but the level of fanboyism has been way more than anything I've seen over there. That's true in general on gaming forums I think, but at least I've experienced it to be even more so over at GAF. I still love that forum though, I just keep away from the console war threads.

As for the System Wars section of Gamespot...ugh. How those guys can complain about the level of discourse on their site when they've had that section since more or less the site's beginning is beyond me. You can't complain that gamers are "angry" and at the same time have a section on your forum that invites people to fucking rip eachother apart.

#24 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@zeforgotten: just to give you an example here an excerpt from a conversation I had with one of theNeogafxGiantbomb user

"I'm not saying there's some sort of vast, anti-Sony conspiracy, but the American press specifically does seem to have a bit of a blind-spot when it comes to the Xbox division of Microsoft. Microsoft's arrogance and bad practices tend to get shrugged shoulders because they're also the preferred platform by most of the American enthusiast press, while everyone treats Sony like they're the older brother who should "know better" and be held to a higher standard. It took Neogaf basically forming armed rebellion before the press turned against Microsoft over the always-on stuff, and even so, Penny Arcade, Sessler, Kotaku, Polygon, have spent the last three and ahalf months basically concern trolling over every little story that pops up about Sony and giving Microsoft the repeated benefit of the doubt" Breaking news , the only reason Mircosoft has gotten bad American press was because Neogaf forced them to.

#25 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11487 posts) -

That tweet from Klei was pretty fantastic.

EDIT: yay 10k posts oh no what have I been doing with my life for the past 5 years.

#26 Posted by AMyggen (2587 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: It's true that some GAF members think they have a much bigger impact on the industry than they actually have, and I'm not sure how much GAF mattered regarding MS getting bad press (they more or less shot themselves in the face every week around E3). But even Adam Boyes said that the Twitter campaign started by GAF users to get Sony to NOT do the things MS had planned regarding always online etc. had an effect.

And in general I think GAF is an incredible forum with some great users. The fact that some people think GAF "matters" more than it does to the industry isn't good for GAF's image though, like you say.

#27 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: Oh PLEASE tell me that person was wearing a tinfoil hat as well? It would fit perfectly, wouldn't it?

@amyggen: Yeah "We don't wanna hear your angry messages! .. But here's a forum for it that we will now remove and let you run wild all over our site!" .. Goood job, Gamespot? I think? What was the point?

Anyways, this is vastly off-topic.
Ryse kerfuffle!

#28 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -
#29 Posted by themangalist (1722 posts) -

I feel like I'm reading the exact same article (same title) as the Kotaku article from a day ago. Here I shall copy and paste my response to it:

This is stupid. I get why people are against this bad industry practice but people tweeting like this really does further demoralize the dev team. Appreciate their hardwork and protest against publishers specifically, not yell insults and sarcasm in their general direction. Twitter users are sometimes the worst.

#30 Posted by shinjin977 (748 posts) -

@amyggen: I am pretty new to gaf (started going for Cboat rumors) but they were hating on Sony in 2006 is the impression I am getting. I don't see so much bias towards one console so much as bias towards "core gamers". Valid or not, I don't know, but they are sure as hell not pro sony. Just go into a Vita thread compare to 3ds or try to float the idea that Wii U will do better than X1, you will see Microgaf then.

#31 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

By the time Ryse launches, I will have created a pong clone with more gameplay than Ryse.

#32 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@zeforgotten: I AIN'T LEAVING UNTIL I GET MY SON OF SCONE PHOTOSHOP

#33 Posted by AMyggen (2587 posts) -

@shinjin977: Yeah, that might be a better way to put it. I wasn't around in 2006, but Sony didn't exactly have a good launch of the PS3 and a good three or so years after that, and "core gamers" HATED Sony because of it, so I believe that. But still, on the console side I think it has escalated to hating on MS whatever they do. But you're right that GAF is biased towards "core gamers" more than anything.

#34 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@shinjin977: I seem to remember a thread where a user made a joke about the vita being "a portable dust collector accesory to the Wii U" and him getting 2 pages of people insulting him

#35 Posted by Brodehouse (9616 posts) -

"We're working real hard to get this thing out on the date we said we would! woo!"

"HOW DARE YOU"

I love Klei's catty little post. Seems rather unsporting to criticize someone making a game on a deadline while you sell games before they're complete.

#37 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

"We're working real hard to get this thing out on the date we said we would! woo!"

"HOW DARE YOU"

I love Klei's catty little post. Seems rather unsporting to criticize someone making a game on a deadline while you sell games before they're complete.

"It's ok they're indie!" I think is the response we have to use here, I don't know. I get confused!

#38 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@zeforgotten: If only we could say that everytime Phil Fish did something unbelieveable moronic

#39 Edited by Hailinel (23941 posts) -

@brodehouse: The point of Klei's tweer seems to hace flown straight over your head.

#40 Posted by shinjin977 (748 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: haha yes, because again to gaf vita is for the core but wii u is for casual. in the same tone compare to 3ds vita is shit (tho I love both). I am not saying it make sense, and im not sure why im defending them but I thought the whole Sonygaf thing is a bit disingenuous and dismissive.

#41 Edited by Jayzilla (2555 posts) -

IDK, when I did QA on MLB 09 The Show, it was super fun going to work 7 days a week for a month from 7AM to 10PM every day. Those guys should be stoked they got dinners.

#42 Posted by Brodehouse (9616 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@brodehouse: The point of Klei's tweer seems to hace flown straight over your head.

Self-aggrandizement and chest-thumping. No, I pretty much got it.

#43 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: Oddly enough something close to it is being said "He sat on Ryans lap! it's ok. He can say what he wants! Stop hating!-yadayadayadawhitenoisebabycryingsoundblablanonsensefromnobodies" :P

#44 Posted by Milkman (16540 posts) -

This thread about a silly, dumb thing sure got fucking stupid in a hurry.

#45 Posted by TruthTellah (8556 posts) -

People who celebrate or appreciate "crunch time" in game development are deluded. They're either people who haven't experienced it or they have a game industry stockholm syndrome. This is a real problem, and I'm glad this tweet has backfired on them. It was an insensitive and foolish thing for a marketer to tout.

Hopefully one day this will be more of a joke about how things were than a sad statement on how things are.

#46 Edited by Marokai (2811 posts) -

@zeforgotten: @connerthekewlkid: Hi, random internet users. That was from my post in some random thread around here, out of context and uncredited. So here I am! I am: Not a Neogaf user, not buying any of the new consoles, mostly an Xbox 360 gamer, and actually totally level headed. If you're going to shitpost on someone, at least A) Get the post right and not snip it out of context, and B) Have the courage to actually directly quote me. Thanks.

#47 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@marokai:

I stand by my statement, and still without context, sounds tinfoily. If there's any context to it that makes it sound less so then that's fine. But written like it was there that was pretty tinfoil hat wearing.
I'm sorry I didn't directly quote you.
Even taking into account that I wasn't the one calling you out, but sure, makes perfect sense, so I'm sorry.

Also, you probably do have a tinfoil hat somewhere, I just know it :P

#48 Edited by iAmJohn (6109 posts) -

Jesus, really guys? We had to turn yet another thread into bitching about NeoGAF and claiming them the worst of the worst?

#49 Edited by Marokai (2811 posts) -

@zeforgotten: Mostly directed at Connor, so I didn't mean to single you out for that. It's not much of a big deal either way.

#50 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@marokai: Alright, but sorry anyway.
You failed to deny the hat thing though, so I'm just gonna go with "you have a couple actually" :P