#1 Posted by Xshinobi (370 posts) -

I'm on the last chapter of the SP portion of the game and I gotta say I don't understand the hate that this game has been receiving. I really like the gameplay and setting. The story is a bit simple but it is well told. I played a round in the CO-OP MP and I enjoyed my time with that as well. I know it all comes down to taste but the way people have been talking about this game you would think it was the worst thing ever made.

#2 Edited by csl316 (7980 posts) -

People have been down on character action games since Bayonetta kicked so much ass. Unfairly so, I think.

#3 Posted by kadash299 (271 posts) -

Look guys! A dude with a differnet opinion about something than other people! i dont think ive ever seen this before.

In all seriousness, just like everything else that humanity deals with, its all up to personal preference. I'm glad you're enjoying the game, and I hope others who purchased it do as well.

reviews don't mean everything.

#4 Posted by wjb (1626 posts) -

I haven't played the game so I cannot give an accurate, detailed opinion, but it just looks boring from all the streams I've seen. I might play it eventually once I get a Xbox One, but besides the pretty visuals, nothing about this game looks very appealing to me.

#5 Posted by EXTomar (4453 posts) -

Read their reviews and opinions for their answers. It seems to me this is a shallow launch game.

#6 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (861 posts) -

From what I've played at a friends house, the entire time I played i just thought "Batman does this better..."

#7 Edited by TheHT (10810 posts) -

because it's not special. it doesn't have any oomph. it's lacking any peculiar quirk. it's too generic. it's not revolutionary. etc. etc.

i dunno, it seems ok.

#8 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4517 posts) -

People are far more critical of launch games than regular releases. If this game had come out in the summer or fall of 2014/5 then I doubt anyone would have noticed its passing. Since it's a launch title, though, it has invited far more criticism just by virtue of the fact that it's got a precious launch slot that could have or perhaps should have went to a better game.

#9 Posted by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

I get the catharthis of monotony, I play Dynasty Warriors games every now and then and its a good time in the right mindset. But I still understand why most people don't want to do the same exact thing over and over cus Im not living in a bubble. You can enjoy something someone else doesn't like and neither of you are wrong, crazy right. Cool you like killing the same 6 barbarians over 30 hours Im happy for you, doesnt mean other people are wrong not to enjoy that.

#10 Posted by RazielCuts (2911 posts) -

The same reason games like Golden Axe and Streets of Rage got played out in the '90's?

#11 Posted by President_Barackbar (3416 posts) -

@xshinobi said:

I'm on the last chapter of the SP portion of the game and I gotta say I don't understand the hate that this game has been receiving. I really like the gameplay and setting. The story is a bit simple but it is well told. I played a round in the CO-OP MP and I enjoyed my time with that as well. I know it all comes down to taste but the way people have been talking about this game you would think it was the worst thing ever made.

I don't see ANY reviews that have called it even close to "the worst thing ever made." Ryse isn't getting "hate", its just that most reviewers seem to feel its a merely competent game and nothing more. Games like that tend to get a more violent reaction from people who have spent their hard earned $60 on it because for that much money you'd prefer to be wowed rather than given an adequate game.

#12 Edited by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

@xshinobi:

Did you read the reviews or just look at scores? The issues people had are explicitly explained in writing.

#13 Posted by MikeJFlick (435 posts) -

It's Rynse and Repeat.

#14 Posted by BisonHero (6054 posts) -

The gameplay/combat is Batman: Arkham Asylum in a lot of ways, only without any exploring for collectibles, no flying, no multitude of villains, no semi-open world?

#15 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2860 posts) -

Most reviewers are cynical, negative nancys. Did you read Brad's review? It's the only level-headed one around.

Gamers unfortunately are just as cynical and can also be easily herded. Durr da reviwers said it was bad so must be poo poo rys

#16 Edited by EXTomar (4453 posts) -

Why is Brad's opinion more valid than another who was miffed they spent a lot of money and got bored with one of the few games they bought for it? Maybe some gamers are cynical and jaded because they spent several hundred dollars and didn't get that much out of it.

#17 Edited by BigSocrates (275 posts) -

The reviews haven't been THAT bad. It has a 60 on Metacritic as opposed to Knack's 55 and a fair number of the reviews are positive. I think things seem negative because the pre-release anti-hype was BRUTAL. Tons of podcasts and other places where people were like "RYSE looks pretty but is going to be AWFUL." Then it came out and it was just sort of viewed as mediocre. I'll pick it up on sale at some point and I think in the end it will go down as just another pretty but kinda shallow launch title, not some special car crash of terrible like it was shaping up to be.

#18 Edited by slyspider (1133 posts) -

It is a perfectly functional game that doesn't seem to be on fire or broken in any way.

#19 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@xshinobi said:

It is a typical Crytek game. There is nothing really wrong with it. It is a medicore or decent lauchgame . Personally I do not like these Animations but otherwise it looks ok.

#20 Posted by Dimsey (946 posts) -

I had fun with it, so it did its job.

#21 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3721 posts) -

If you enjoy the combat you will like the game a lot. That's happened for me in the past before.

Some people just don't mind a lot of combat if it's fun. I like Dynasty Warriors so I understand. I never really get bored with the combat in the Batman and Assassins Creed games.

It does look incredible graphically though. I definitely want to play through it.

They really should just add more if they do another one. I think it would have more appeal if, like AC or Batman, you had other things to do besides fight dudes to break things up.

#22 Edited by Snail (8574 posts) -

From what I've seen of it, it's too repetitive. You fight, fight, fight. Nothing else. No variety. It gets tedious.

You could watch the Quick Look? The guys were critical of it in valid ways. Brad seemed to like it more than Jeff (he is a sucker for good-looking games, after all), though apparently still not as much as you. Opinions!

#23 Posted by Shaunage (677 posts) -

It's a really simple game, but I agree. It's nothing like as bad as people think it is. Finished it last night.

#24 Edited by KaneRobot (1397 posts) -

It strikes me as a game that is a 3 out of 5, and that does not mean it is bad by any means. No one is going to lynch you for enjoying it like we'd be required to if you enjoyed...oh, I don't know... Kinect Steel Battalion.

#25 Edited by joshwent (2054 posts) -

Why did people not love this game?! If only there was some format of writing where they explicitly describe the qualities of a game and whether or not they are good!

Oh well, guess we'll never know.

#26 Edited by Juzie (167 posts) -

Yep, as others said. It's basically Batman without the interesting characters, open world and predator mode + Batman itself is getting stale. Personally I think the game is scored too high.

#27 Posted by Xeiphyer (5593 posts) -

It just seems like an okay game, and the E3 demo was terrible. That's basically why people are hating on it.

#28 Edited by Clonedzero (4049 posts) -

I think it looks alright. Not great, but alright, I'd play it.

If you like it who cares what others think?

#29 Posted by FlamingHobo (4479 posts) -
@xshinobi said:

I know it all comes down to taste but the way people have been talking about this game you would think it was the worst thing ever made.

I haven't heard anyone talk about Ryse the same way most people talk about games like Dead to Rights. From what I gather it's a run of the mill action game with some pretty visuals and scores around the 3/5 mark seem fair.

#30 Posted by TobbRobb (4554 posts) -

It looks ok. I don't really have any urge to play it, but I don't think it would be much of a terrible time either.

#31 Posted by BigSocrates (275 posts) -

@xshinobi said:

I know it all comes down to taste but the way people have been talking about this game you would think it was the worst thing ever made.

I haven't heard anyone talk about Ryse the same way most people talk about games like Dead to Rights.

Dead to Rights? The PS2 series that had one mediocre entry this gen that jeff gave 3 stars to? Who says that is the worst thing ever made? I actually beat that Dead to Rights game and it was definitely not the worst game I've ever played by a long shot.

#32 Edited by believer258 (11564 posts) -

It looked repetitive and uninteresting in the Quick Look. Not "bad", just "bland".

#33 Edited by Syed117 (387 posts) -

I finished it last night and I can understand where you are coming from.

It has some great ideas like the way perks are handled, but the combat does get repetitive. I think as a first game, it's not that bad. The combat system needs to be fleshed out more. A real combo system would make it a much better game. Eventfully you just get tired of doing the same exact thing against the same exact enemies. By the end of the game I had dozens of executions but I felt like I was seeing the same ones over and over because I only used the health and XP perks. They also needed a few more characters models. I must have killed the fat guy with the shield 500 times.

It's not a great game by any means, nor is it terrible. Brad used the perfect word, competent. Everything works the way it is supposed to and works well enough. It just needed more.

I think the average person who isn't consumed by metacritic and Internet forums could have a good time with it.

It does however look incredible. Might be the best looking launch game on either platform.

#34 Posted by HH (595 posts) -

i'd be down to play it. it impressed me the most out of all the launch games - the rich atmosphere is immediately apparent.

#35 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

It's an Xbox Exclusive

#36 Posted by Iron_Tool (215 posts) -

From what I've played I just thought "Batman does this better..."

Everything Batman does is just better... (sorry big Batman fan here)

#37 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Haven't played it, don't plan on playing it. I will probably forget this game existed after a short time. Kind of like Kameo...shit, oh wait. Didn't play that one either. You know what I mean.

#38 Posted by Mars (310 posts) -

I am a big fan of this game. For those that are saying "Batman was better" ... This isn't batman, though they were great games. I had more consistent fun playing this.