#1 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1462 posts) -

I figured I'd show all the fellow Yakuza fans on this site another nail in the coffin for the series in North America.

In an interview with Sega Japan, Gamingbolt.com asked several questions regarding the Yakuza spinoff. They eventually brought up localization, asking if there were plans, due to it's success in Japan as the #1 title on the PS4 (Did not know that!)

Sega replied with a simple answer, "There are currently no plans at this time."

Even with the talented team at AtlusUSA, Sega doesn't believe that localization is worth it.

Also, no plans for an Xbone release, but that is pretty obvious...

Fuck You, Yakuza Dead Souls

#2 Posted by Corevi (6794 posts) -

All we want in a localization is subtitles and the menus in english, everything else can stay japanese. I doubt that would cost that much. They could even release it digital only and cut costs even more.

#3 Posted by YI_Orange (1210 posts) -

"There are currently no plans at this time" has been said about alot of games that get localized.

#4 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (1462 posts) -

"There are currently no plans at this time" has been said about alot of games that get localized.

Stop being optimistic!!! There is no reason to live anymore! I'll never find out why the fuck Saejima fights a bear in Yakuza 5 and I'll never find out what the hell is going on in Yakuza Ishin!

#5 Edited by LordAndrew (14588 posts) -

That's a very typical answer. It means they're not going to announce it in the interview.

#6 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (842 posts) -

I haven't played much of Yakuza but the last few games seemed to be much worse than the promise the series originally showed. To tell the truth I'm not too torn up about it. I remember Jeff played one of the Yakuza's at the PS4's launch and it looked pretty bad.

#7 Posted by Yummylee (23197 posts) -

Fuck you, Yakuza: Dead Souls indeed. If only because of how much of a complete sack of shit that game is, let alone for how much it lessened the chances of ever seeing another Yakuza game over here again.

Though it's been long enough now that while I'd certainly be happy to hear Yakuza 5 & Inshin being brought over, at this point I'm... sorta compliant over it all.

#8 Posted by gaminghooligan (1670 posts) -

Here's a few questions: if I were to get this game shipped to me

1. Could I being someone who speaks virtually no Japanese still play it and at least have a moderate idea what's going on?

2. Would it work on a US ps4?

#9 Posted by RonGalaxy (3585 posts) -

I wonder how many units they'd have to sell to make it worth their while to do basic localization. It can't be that much, can it? Seems like a dumb move on their part. Even if they don't make a killing on it in America, localizing these games is (at least) a show of good faith and will increase their mind share over here.

#10 Edited by RonGalaxy (3585 posts) -

@gaminghooligan said:

Here's a few questions: if I were to get this game shipped to me

1. Could I being someone who speaks virtually no Japanese still play it and at least have a moderate idea what's going on?

2. Would it work on a US ps4?

Answers (sorry this got included in your quote. The text editor is being stupid)

1. Im guessing you could brute force your way through playing the game, but theres no chance in hell you'll be able to follow the story. Not knowing what items do will probably kill the experience

2. PS4's aren't region locked, but I think it's possible for games to flip a switch and become region locked. So it depends on the game. You'd need a Japanese psn account for dlc/online stuff.

#11 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (4644 posts) -

I love all this yakuza and spin-off talk happening here is pretty awesome. Never know with operation rainfall happening maybe all this drumming by fans will get third party companies looking into bringing them over stateside if Sega fails to do so.

#12 Edited by ViciousAnchovy (822 posts) -

@gaminghooligan: These games are extremely dialogue heavy, so you probably wouldn't understanding anything beyond the broadest plot points. Even if you got all of those, the dialogue itself is kind of the point of the games, as well as the finer details of the plot. If you're really interested in the Yakuza games, 3 and 4 were localized for the PS3. Games 1 and 2 are on the PS2.

#13 Posted by darkvare (813 posts) -

they didn't even localized yakuza 5 :<

#14 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (1069 posts) -

I'm honestly fine with missing these Japanese history spin-offs, I just want the main series and we aren't even getting that anymore. Can't believe the last game we get is fucking Dead Souls...

#15 Posted by Jeust (11376 posts) -

@yi_orange said:

Stop being optimistic!!! There is no reason to live anymore! I'll never find out why the fuck Saejima fights a bear in Yakuza 5 and I'll never find out what the hell is going on in Yakuza Ishin!

He's right though. A lot of games get localized later on.

#16 Posted by MannyMAR (580 posts) -

I've given up on SEGA as a console games publisher. When Atlus was bought, I thought there was some hope in getting the US arm to do the localisation for Yakuza 5 and Ishin. If anything this just gets me worried about Atlus' own games coming across the Pacific.

#17 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (732 posts) -

@taku128 said:

I'm honestly fine with missing these Japanese history spin-offs, I just want the main series and we aren't even getting that anymore. Can't believe the last game we get is fucking Dead Souls...

Is Dead Souls even worth playing? I'm certainly a fan of the first four games but haven't picked up Dead Souls yet, I've been trying to hold onto the fact that I have one Yakuza game to play.

#18 Posted by Yummylee (23197 posts) -
#19 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (1069 posts) -

@secondpersonshooter said:

@taku128 said:

Is Dead Souls even worth playing? I'm certainly a fan of the first four games but haven't picked up Dead Souls yet, I've been trying to hold onto the fact that I have one Yakuza game to play.

I slam it any time it comes up in conversation but overall I actually liked it. I think Patrick's comparison to a Halloween episode of your favorite TV show is a great comparison, it's a goofy fun zombie story featuring the Yakuza cast. Gameplay isn't bad but it's not good either, you just kind of slog through it to experience the story and side quests. If you consider yourself a big fan of the series I'd recommend it, but if you only enjoy them to a point or the combat is a big part of why you like Yakuza I'd say skip it. It's only $11 on Amazon, which is an extremely fair price.

http://www.amazon.com/Yakuza-Dead-Souls-Playstation-3/dp/B005TH6BD4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403734701&sr=8-1

#20 Posted by dagas (3058 posts) -

I found this great site. http://www.khhsubs.com/index.php

It has a translation of the cutscenes and some other stuff to help you if you import. Or you can just watch the cutscenes. Has some Yakuza 5 stuff too. Since we will never get a western release, this is as close as we'll get.

#21 Posted by Sinusoidal (2200 posts) -

Maybe someone in the west ought to invest in the tried and true Korean practice of releasing translation booklets. They do it a lot in Korea since so few games actually get translated into Korean. I've got a few lying around from ordering English-only games in Korea.

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (16199 posts) -