Kapalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Kapalaka
No Caption Provided

Sailor Mars was the first anime character I fell in love with. My sister and I watched Sailor Moon daily before school and the series is very dear to me because of it. I always avoided sailor scout outfits out of fear of messing up, so I researched as much as I could before attempting Mars. I completed this costume in time for Otakon 2012. My favorite moments in this costume were in realizing that a lot of men are surprisingly into Sailor Moon! As I passed by some tough looking thugs who were not Ota-attendees, one of the guys called out to me "MARS! Uh UHHH!!! I GOTTA TAKE A PHOTO WITH MY GIRL, MARS!" He excitedly handed his phone to his friend and we posed for a few photos.

I entered a cosplay contest with Mars because it was a lot of technical sewing and other skills, and to my delight, I won Best in Show! (1st place.) Here I am with a friend screwing around with the trophy. lol We discovered the base of it was the same shape as Superman's logo.

I also had the pleasure of working with EBK Photography and K. Walker for a few photoshoots as my favorite senshi gal. Here are the results of our combined efforts.

If you'd like to know more information about how I constructed this, please read the description here.

Thanks for reading, everyone! :D

Kapalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Kapalaka
No Caption Provided

Sailor Mars was the first anime character I fell in love with. My sister and I watched Sailor Moon daily before school and the series is very dear to me because of it. I always avoided sailor scout outfits out of fear of messing up, so I researched as much as I could before attempting Mars. I completed this costume in time for Otakon 2012. My favorite moments in this costume were in realizing that a lot of men are surprisingly into Sailor Moon! As I passed by some tough looking thugs who were not Ota-attendees, one of the guys called out to me "MARS! Uh UHHH!!! I GOTTA TAKE A PHOTO WITH MY GIRL, MARS!" He excitedly handed his phone to his friend and we posed for a few photos.

I entered a cosplay contest with Mars because it was a lot of technical sewing and other skills, and to my delight, I won Best in Show! (1st place.) Here I am with a friend screwing around with the trophy. lol We discovered the base of it was the same shape as Superman's logo.

I also had the pleasure of working with EBK Photography and K. Walker for a few photoshoots as my favorite senshi gal. Here are the results of our combined efforts.

If you'd like to know more information about how I constructed this, please read the description here.

Thanks for reading, everyone! :D

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

How'd you hold that bow without burning yourself?? Are you a demon?

Nice work on the costume!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Cosplay that's actually kinda decent? WHAT WIZARDRY IS THIS!?

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nottle

Nice, I can't tell if the top picture is photo shoped to have fire on the bow or if it's just some shiny plastic.

Kapalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kapalaka

Hahahaa! Thanks, Video_Game_King. No way I'd let myself be a Fail-or Mars. She's too awesome to mess up on.

TheSouthernDandy: LOL! It's a wonder she doesn't burn all her clothes off every time she attacks in Sailor Moon. Thank you!!! :D

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

Oh, I didn't know we had cosplayers on Giant Bomb. That's different.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Morrow

I loved Sailor Moon when I was young and I'd totally get the DVDs if they weren't 800$ (no that's not an 0 too many...)

Great work on the costume, you're a very pretty Rei :)

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By BraveToaster

You should have done a Wonder Woman cosplay.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By apathylad

Oh, a cosplayer. Haven't seen one of you around here. Fun stuff.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Arbie

Awesome cosplay! Is that how you'd say it? =S I'm guessing it wouldn't be awesome cosplaying?! Anyway, mm great costume and you look really good. I looked through some of your other images but not all, so sorry if you've already done it, but I think you'd make a great Bayonetta!

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NegativeCero

Flashbacks to the AnimeVice cosplay section. Considering my zero knowledge of cosplay, this looks good.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#12  Edited By jacksukeru

Cool, so do you like videogames? That's kinda what we're into here.

@Kapalaka: Also if you mouse over a user's post, some options in yellow will pop up. Click 'Reply' and a "@[Username]" will appear, then once you post they will get a PM notification. This is useful when replying to or otherwise adressing someone as otherwise they might miss your response.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fattony12000

@Kapalaka: GG! That's a mighty fringe you are rocking there, so double GG!

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

No Caption Provided
Kapalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kapalaka

@LordAndrew: @Apathylad: Yup! There are very few cosplayers around here, but we exist! :D

@Morrow: Thanks, Morrow! And OMG that is so ridiculous! It makes a bit of sense though since it was recently announced that Sailor Moon is getting a reboot in 2013. I imagine that all S'Moon related items are hella expensive now.

@BraveToaster: I want to! I intended to do it this summer but I ran out of time and it looks like it will just have to wait til next year. I need to decide on what version of her to do... maybe Justice League.

@Erzs: Thanks, Erzs! :D Cosplaying is fine, lol. Much appreciated, and I haven't, but a lot of my friends have made her! There is a laser cutter at my school and one of them asked me to make Bayonetta's glasses. Dem tiny details <3

@NegativeCero: Thank you! and say whaaaat? I am guessing that was an older thread?

@RockmanBionics: Thanks for the tip, and of course! A lot of cosplayers are gaming fans. My absolute favorite game is Squaresoft's Parasite Eve (2 and 3 don't exist to me. UGH. so bad.) and FF 2, 6-8,10 (basically everything before Enix shat on everything), Brave Story, Odin Sphere, and Muramasa are among my favorites. I really need to play ff4 already but school is about to start and I think I'd get gaming blue-balls with how rigorous grad school is. I've actually done a Terra cosplay before. =) I even wrote an FF6 skit for a contest an won. XD....

Kapalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kapalaka

@Fattony12000: Thank you!! and OMG lol That one's from my DevArt account XD It's so cheesy!! The most often commented about that photo is that I'm goin' Super Saiyan.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Morrow

@Kapalaka: A reboot? Like, they will produce a new show? I can't imagine that, Sailor Moon's cult factor was the childish and naive attitude, that doesn't really fit in our current time anymore. Although a more serious approach might be very cool. I liked the dramatic episodes the most, like the end of season one...

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By FLStyle

Nice job, I'm not expert but that looks like a good cosplay.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NegativeCero

@Kapalaka: It's actually a former sister site to Giantbomb. It has basically been abandoned though and has been running with no full staff members for years as far as I know.

@Fattony12000 said:

No Caption Provided

This picture is pretty amazing.

Kapalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kapalaka

@Morrow: Yea!!! An entirely new show!!! They are basing it totally off of the manga, which I haven't read yet, and it's allegedly going to be way more dramatic. We'll see, though.

@FLStyle: Thank you! :D I tried to be as accurate as possible.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#20  Edited By jacksukeru

@Kapalaka: I read one of your other blogs and saw that you were already using 'reply', good on you for being polite though, I was genuinely trying to help.

I know very little of Parasite Eve other than Third Birthday looking like crap and it having hella "sexy~" ripped up jeans. I have played me some Final Fantasy over the years yet don't consider myself a very big fan of the series. My favorite is 9 and it upsets me that you left it out of your list >:(

That skit was totally goofy, kinda fun. FF6 are among the FFtasies that I have not touched though, so I'm not very familiar with the characters.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Morrow

@Kapalaka: Ah, that's cool ^^ I read some of the Manga and it's more serious than the TV show. Looking forward to it! :]

Kapalaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kapalaka

@RockmanBionics: Actually it's been so long since I last logged in that I forgot, so I really did appreciate it. XD Awww don't be upset over me not being all about ff9, it's not like I'm a Dragoon killer or anything lol. I liked a lot of things about it, but something just didn't lure me in like the others. I liked Freya and Beatrix's stories a lot, though.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Aetheldod

Nice work there girl!!!!! Yeah I remember watching the whole of Sailor Moon , in Mexico we got to see the entirety of the show without weird cuts and censorship .... yeah it was a wee bit akward when a dude saw the sailor stars ... er...ye...yeah :/

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ

That's a hell of a trophy.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Not a big cosplay fan but I'll drop my 2 simp cents in and say you really did a great job.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#26  Edited By pyromagnestir

Not familiar with the source material, myself but that seems like a job well done. One question, is that your real hair or is it a wig of some kind?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

What is Sailor Moon S. I am only familiar with the stranded Sailor Moon. Actually that is not true, I remember watching one with sailor Unarus and Neptune, who were bad or something. Is that Sailor Moon S. I got on a tangent there. It is a nice costume, mars is my favorite.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#28  Edited By Slag

@NegativeCero said:

@Kapalaka: It's actually a former sister site to Giantbomb. It has basically been abandoned though and has been running with no full staff members for years as far as I know.

@Fattony12000 said:

No Caption Provided

This picture is pretty amazing.

Holy crap!

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Congratulations on the win! This really is an amazing looking cosplay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Video_Game_King said:

Cosplay that's actually kinda decent? WHAT WIZARDRY IS THIS!?

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Karkarov

Cool work, also news that sailor moon is getting a reboot. Don't know how I managed not to hear about that, I need to stop working so much... You make a great Rei either way, easily the equal or better of any others I have seen.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fattony12000

@Kapalaka said:

@Fattony12000: Thank you!! and OMG lol That one's from my DevArt account XD It's so cheesy!! The most often commented about that photo is that I'm goin' Super Saiyan.

No, thank you.

/notinacreepyway

You're the one doing all the work, all I've done is eat caramelised peanuts.

Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Otogi

Looks rad, and congrats on the award!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

wat

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EVO

What's wrong with Parasite Eve 2? EDIT: Nevermind. Necro'd by a bot.