#1 Posted by altairre (1190 posts) -

I really want to play this even if it pretty much looks like a Saints Row 3.5 but with motherfucking superpowers (and more wrestling moves which I'm totally okay with). As long as they are able to maintain the quality of all the craziness I'm interested in everything that has the name Volition and Saints Row on it.

#2 Edited by jimmyfenix (3854 posts) -

you think it will be at a discount price ?

#3 Edited by altairre (1190 posts) -

@jimmyfenix said:

you think it will be at a discount price ?

Nope. As the title suggests this is (at least is supposed to be) a fully fledged sequel so it's definitely a full price game.

#4 Edited by probablytuna (3654 posts) -

It's a little disappointing to see that there isn't a visual upgrade, then again it doesn't matter much if the gameplay can't hold together. So far though, I'm more interested in what GTAV is promising but if this turns out great as well I'll probably get it, though at a later date.

#5 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

This looks so terrible and unoriginal in the best way ever! It's like a high production version of the Postal games. Count me in!

#6 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Looks sort of like a Saints Row tinted Prototype.

#7 Posted by altairre (1190 posts) -

It's a little disappointing to see that there isn't a visual upgrade, then again it doesn't matter much if the gameplay can't hold together. So far though, I'm more interested in what GTAV is promising but if this turns out great as well I'll probably get it, though at a later date.

GTAV is certainly a lot more ambitious but I think that Saints Row did a good job of distancing itself far enough from GTA where it's not necessarily an "either or" anymore.

#8 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

So is this the "the Saints declare themselves a sovereign nation" timeline?

#9 Posted by Egg0 (169 posts) -

Is Troy Baker reprising his role as Male Voice 1? Sounds like it. SOLD.

#10 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Really stupid. Can't wait to play it.

#11 Edited by Wiseblood (644 posts) -
#12 Edited by AssInAss (2645 posts) -

@altairre said:

@probablytuna said:

GTAV is certainly a lot more ambitious but I think that Saints Row did a good job of distancing itself far enough from GTA where it's not necessarily an "either or" anymore.

I haven't kept up on GTA 5 after 4's colossal disappointment, but how is it more ambitious? It can't be the three playable characters, because that's been done in quite a few games. All I've heard is they're bringing back things from San Andreas. People said Bioshock Infinite was so ambitious and yet it was just a standard shooter.

The only ambitious game I played this year has been Zeno Clash 2 because still no one's doing first person melee as good as them, and then bringing in an expansive world with fast travel, sidequests, ridiculous variety of environments and character models, and being longer than 10 hours is pretty ambitious for a team of 15 people at ACE Team.

#13 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

@assinass said:

@altairre said:

@probablytuna said:

I haven't kept up on GTA 5 after 4's colossal disappointment, but how is it more ambitious? It can't be the three playable characters, because that's been done in quite a few games. All I've heard is they're bringing back things from San Andreas. People said Bioshock Infinite was so ambitious and yet it was just a standard shooter.

Being ambitious doesn't necessarily correlate with the final quality. (although GTA 4 being a colossal disappointment is hilarious. and so is the Infinite is just a standard shooter)

#14 Posted by Quarters (1698 posts) -

IF ONLY. Really though, it would be awesome if they brought back some people who are still alive in the series, especially if this is the last part of the story like the last trailer said(assuming that wasn't a joke).

#15 Edited by Winternet (8018 posts) -

Hello Mr. Presi OH GOD!

#16 Posted by probablytuna (3654 posts) -
@altairre said:

@probablytuna said:

It's an "either or" for me since it determines which open world game I will be sinking most of my time into. But you're right, they are definitely different approaches to the open world genre. I'm probably one of the few people that played GTA games mostly without blowing shit up all the time whereas in Saints Row: The Third, doing crazy stuff was pretty much the only thing I do.

#17 Edited by 49th (2755 posts) -

I'm sure this will be a fine Saints Row game. I can't imagine it's very difficult to design those game since they just have to throw together the dumbest ideas.

#18 Edited by jimmyfenix (3854 posts) -

@assinass said:

@altairre said:

@probablytuna said:

The only ambitious game I played this year has been Zeno Clash 2 because still no one's doing first person melee as good as them, and then bringing in an expansive world with fast travel, sidequests, ridiculous variety of environments and character models, and being longer than 10 hours is pretty ambitious for a team of 15 people at ACE Team.

LOL

#19 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Someone please overlay "No one man" over this trailer.

#20 Posted by sooty1234 (19 posts) -

@assinass said:

@altairre said:

@probablytuna said:

get the hell out of here.

#21 Posted by altairre (1190 posts) -

@altairre said:

@probablytuna said:

It's an "either or" for me since it determines which open world game I will be sinking most of my time into. But you're right, they are definitely different approaches to the open world genre. I'm probably one of the few people that played GTA games mostly without blowing shit up all the time whereas in Saints Row: The Third, doing crazy stuff was pretty much the only thing I do.

Like I said, it's not necessarily an "either or" but if you want to pick a game and stick with it then sure. I'm more interested in GTA too but at this point I can't say if I end up putting more time into it than Saints Row. Saints Row seems like a game I'll probably come back to more often whereas for GTA it's the main story I'm most curious about.

#22 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@assinass said:

@altairre said:

@probablytuna said:

lol

#23 Posted by kishinfoulux (2301 posts) -

Considering how mega hyped Saint's Row III was and how lackluster it actually was, I'll pass on Saint's Row 3.5.

#24 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I'm up for any excuse to sit down and hear Troy Baker spout dumb one-liners. All the better if that's wrapped in the Saint's Row trappings.

#25 Edited by McTangle (157 posts) -

Eh. There's nothing special Saints Row craziness unless a part of it is grounded in reality. I mean, SR3 started crazy and ended insane.

This looks like it's starting insane and ending with face down in a puddle of its own dubstep.

#26 Edited by BaneFireLord (2935 posts) -

While the super powers look like a lot of dumb entertainment, it also looks like they're using a lot of recycled assets...color me a bit wary.

#27 Edited by ProfessorEss (7362 posts) -

@mctangle: Y'know I had been thinking the same thing but after reading the way you put it: "Starts insane and ends face down in a puddle of it's own dubstep" I'm kinda really feeling it now :)

#28 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Are they gonna go full Crackdown? I mean, that's the direction this seems like it's headed in. That leap immediately reminded me of it.

#29 Posted by rickwilliams (32 posts) -

I'd also say GTA5 has little relation to this type of game anymore - actually, I'd say more competition to the saints row series is something like Just Cause if they're really making a next gen 3rd one - an open world game specializing in crazy physics and ridiculousness - but I've always liked the more off-road kind of environments of that and San Andreas rather than just cities.

#30 Posted by AssInAss (2645 posts) -

@assinass said:

@altairre said:

@probablytuna said:

Being ambitious doesn't necessarily correlate with the final quality. (although GTA 4 being a colossal disappointment is hilarious. and so is the Infinite is just a standard shooter)

Opinions, how do they work? GTA 4 was just no fun to play, I hate that Euphoria engine with a passion specifically in Rockstar games because they're used on the main character so all movement is sluggish and no one can get through doors rather than in Star Wars Force Unleashed where it was only used on enemies. Then the severe lack of mission variety, errand boy Niko (and most Rockstar games), annoying characters, and then the overhyping of 10/10 or "Oscar worthy script" reviews didn't help. I'd rather play Saint's Row, Crackdown, Arkham City, Sleeping Dogs than a Rockstar open world game of this generation (LA Noire - they helped a lot on it, RDR) since they're just more fun to actually control.

If Infinite isn't a standard linear shooter with Call of Duty gunplay with some magic powers that aren't that varied and boring enemy design, then I don't know what it is. All the RPG elements from previous Bioshock and System Shock games stripped bare, with hardly any character or world interaction. The overhyping didn't help, either.

Oh but don't talk about Bioshock Infinite, everyone's still in their honeymoon period?

#31 Posted by jimmyfenix (3854 posts) -

@assinass said:

@winternet said:

@assinass said:

@altairre said:

@probablytuna said:

Opinions, how do they work? GTA 4 was just no fun to play, I hate that Euphoria engine with a passion specifically in Rockstar games because they're used on the main character so all movement is sluggish and no one can get through doors rather than in Star Wars Force Unleashed where it was only used on enemies. Then the severe lack of mission variety, errand boy Niko (and most Rockstar games), annoying characters, and then the overhyping of 10/10 or "Oscar worthy script" reviews didn't help. I'd rather play Saint's Row, Crackdown, Arkham City, Sleeping Dogs than a Rockstar open world game of this generation (LA Noire - they helped a lot on it, RDR) since they're just more fun to actually control.

If Infinite isn't a standard linear shooter with Call of Duty gunplay with some magic powers that aren't that varied and boring enemy design, then I don't know what it is. All the RPG elements from previous Bioshock and System Shock games stripped bare, with hardly any character or world interaction. The overhyping didn't help, either.

Oh but don't talk about Bioshock Infinite, everyone's still in their honeymoon period?

LOL

#32 Posted by PenguinDust (12514 posts) -

Looks fun. I'm in. Crackdown 2 was a huge disappointment. Perhaps this will satisfy my "Agent" imaginations.

#33 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -
#34 Posted by Andorski (5309 posts) -

Man, for some reason I am really cooling down on this game.

#35 Posted by probablytuna (3654 posts) -

@altairre said:

@probablytuna said:
@altairre said:

@probablytuna said:

Like I said, it's not necessarily an "either or" but if you want to pick a game and stick with it then sure. I'm more interested in GTA too but at this point I can't say if I end up putting more time into it than Saints Row. Saints Row seems like a game I'll probably come back to more often whereas for GTA it's the main story I'm most curious about.

Yeah I have to correct myself in that when I said "sink most of my time into" it refers to which one I will play first. If Saints Row IV turns out great I will play that as well, but that wouldn't be for a while (most likely after 2013).

#36 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

@assinass said:

@winternet said:

@assinass said:

@altairre said:

@probablytuna said:

When you say something like "after 4's colossal disappointment" you're making a grand, general statement and not your own. You should have said " GTA IV was, in my case, a colossal disappointment". But, even then, a colossal disappointment?! I mean, I had "real-life" disappointments, you know, about stuff that really matters, but I can't say that I had a colossal disappointment. I would say that a colossal disappointment would be something like "being promised on your 18th birthday a billion dollar bank account, a gorgeous women who will have babies with you, a house with a pool, a sport car, a lifetime supply at Burger King and a personal Thai masseuse, but then getting a plate full of poop, which was disguised as a cake, which you only noticed it was made of poop after you took the first bite". Is that what you think GTA IV is? If so, then I suggest you take a step back from video games. You know what? Take two steps back.

About Infinite, again, a similar problem. You could have said that it was a boring shooter. Or a mediocre shooter. Something that was a matter of opinion. But, you say it is a standard shooter. And that is a matter of facts. And you're just plain wrong. Nothing much to say, really. You can say that you think it's not good all you want, that doesn't make it a standard shooter.