• 50 results
#1 Posted by Bamsen (330 posts) -

I haven't played the first shadow warrior and I didn't know much about this one. I watched totalbiscuits video of this game and its sure looked cool. Played for a couple of hours today and boy it does not disappoint. Its like the melee combat from skyrim, crossed with a old-school fps. And did i mention its gory as hell and has really cheese humor, in a good way that is. If your on the fence on this one just watch the trailer :D.

#2 Edited by Humanity (7990 posts) -

Combat like Skyrim isn't a good selling point

But it does look neat, just not $20 neat

#3 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1785 posts) -

@bamsen said:

Its like the melee combat from skyrim

That doesn't sound exciting at all!

#4 Posted by ShaggE (5992 posts) -

Got it downloading now. I loved the original (though it doesn't hold up quite as well as the other Build games), so I'm super excited for this. Just hope it scales well enough for this laptop... I'll play it in 640x480 if I have to.

#5 Posted by GreggD (4449 posts) -

@humanity said:

Combat like Skyrim isn't a good selling point

But it does look neat, just not $20 neat

It's actually $40.

#6 Edited by GaspoweR (2514 posts) -

@humanity: Actually its 40 bucks. (33 if pre-ordered via Steam.)

#7 Edited by Bamsen (330 posts) -

The regular swordplay is fluid and really cool and you have super moves which are a lot of fun to use. Power thrust that cut ppl or daemons in half, a circle moves where you swing your blade 360 around yourself, ranged blade attack etc. This is only the sword and you have lots of other weapons(rpg, crossbow revolver, shotty, flamethrower etc.) and magic.

#8 Posted by Bamsen (330 posts) -

But then again im playing with the sword settings on regular, you can use advance settings for the sword, but i dont know what that does

#9 Posted by MB (11320 posts) -

I'm all for supporting developers and even though this game looks interesting, I can't bring myself to drop $40 on it when I know damn well that it will be available for $5 by the end of the year at the latest.

#10 Edited by Barrock (3525 posts) -
@mb said:

I'm all for supporting developers and even though this game looks interesting, I can't bring myself to drop $40 on it when I know damn well that it will be available for $5 by the end of the year at the latest.

What about now?

#11 Edited by papercut (3354 posts) -

@barrock said:
@mb said:

What about now?

Did Volition work on this game?

#12 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@papercut said:

@barrock said:
@mb said:

What about now?

It was published by Deep Silver.

#13 Edited by voltronadactylsaurusrex (69 posts) -
@barrock said:

@papercut said:

@barrock said:
@mb said:

What about now?

It was published by Devolver Digital. They published Hotline Miami

#14 Posted by Humanity (7990 posts) -

@greggd: $40 huh well yah that's twice as not-tempting

#15 Posted by BeachThunder (11274 posts) -

I love Hard Reset and I pre-ordered it when it came out. But I'll wait a bit to get this. Glad to hear good things about it though.

#16 Posted by TheHT (10294 posts) -

I don't wanna buy more games anytime soon, but this one's definitely on the radar thanks to Unprofessional Friday.

#17 Edited by Glottery (914 posts) -

Not paying 30 euros of this, but definetly keeping my eyes open for the inevitable Steam sale!

#18 Posted by CoinMatze (456 posts) -

Guys, I just found two rabbits doing it and... well, don't disturb them. Good thing I had my dildobat out.

#19 Posted by Jackel2072 (2228 posts) -

Well I really didn't like hard reset and rise of the triad was also pretty boring in my opinion. I'm starting to think this going to back to old school shooters doesn't look as nice as it does through my rose tinted glasses. But hey when it hits 10 bucks il grab it.

#20 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@barrock said:

@papercut said:

@barrock said:
@mb said:

What about now?

It was published by Devolver Digital. They published Hotline Miami

Oh weird. Why did I think it was Deep Silver? I guess because the story that had that gif said DD was teaming up with DS. Dunno.

#21 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3154 posts) -

Do enemies do more than just run at you in droves? If so, it's not for me.

#22 Posted by GreggD (4449 posts) -

So...you want them to only run at you in droves?

#23 Edited by ShaggE (5992 posts) -

Guys, I just found two rabbits doing it and... well, don't disturb them. Good thing I had my dildobat out.

I got a huge laugh the first time that happened. That was great.

#24 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3154 posts) -

@greggd said:

@tru3_blu3 said:

Fuck.

#25 Posted by Capsicum_Homie (28 posts) -

It looked pretty cool in the quick look but I'll wait till it's $4.99 on steam come the Christmas sale.

#26 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

Yeah I don't know. You guys here on the forums have some strange opinions on games. I'm most likely not getting this.

#27 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4674 posts) -

It looked pretty cool in the quick look but I'll wait till it's $4.99 on steam come the Christmas sale.

There's no Quick Look of this game yet, so I don't know what you saw.

#28 Posted by Abendlaender (2599 posts) -

Welp, I found a half-naked 8-Bit Anime girl in a bathtub today. I don't know if I can play this game again.

#29 Edited by audioBusting (1316 posts) -
@alexandersheen said:

@capsicum_homie said:

There's no Quick Look of this game yet, so I don't know what you saw.

It was on an Unprofessional Friday a few weeks ago, if I recall correctly.

By the way (for everybody), I have three -10% Steam coupons for the game. PM me and I'll hook you up!

edit: Oh, it's this one:

@theht said:

I don't wanna buy more games anytime soon, but this one's definitely on the radar thanks to Unprofessional Friday.

(Only premium members can see it, unfortunately.)

#30 Posted by MB (11320 posts) -

Well I broke down and bought it from the Humble store. What a game! It really takes me back to the golden days of PC gaming. Love all the progression and secrets to be unlocked, tons of fun. It was well worth the asking price, it's going to be a steal when it inevitably goes on sale in a couple of months or so!

#31 Posted by PimblyCharles (1134 posts) -

@barrock said:
@mb said:

What about now?

Was this the infamous .gif that brought down the Harmonix server?

#32 Posted by Elwoodan (673 posts) -

its been a whole lotta fun so far, flying wild hog has found a really good balance point between old school mechanics and level design while mixing in some of the stuff that makes modern FPS more streamlined and enjoyable. The new Rise of the Triad felt like an graphically updated port of the original, while this feels like a spiritual successor/sequel.

#33 Posted by MB (11320 posts) -

@elwoodan: Did you catch the secret room early on that looks like it used textures and assets from the original game? So awesome.

I haven't had this much fun with an FPS in years! It's tons of fun, looks great, and has fantastic writing. You can tell the devs had a hell of a time making this!

#34 Edited by Hairball (15 posts) -

@mb: Apparently there's a few of those, I found "the dark forest" but I've heard people talking about a subway one too.

Also it's 10% off from the developers website for the next four days through their humble store thing which gets you a steam key and gives them more moolah.

#35 Posted by MB (11320 posts) -

@hairball: Oh sweet...I still have only found the one I mentioned above, but it wasn't a dark forest or a subway. The one I found was sort of a nondescript castle type one, hard to describe.

Anyone know if Shadow Warrior has a new game + mode of any kind?

#36 Edited by TheHT (10294 posts) -

@audiobusting: Ah, yes. Apologies to those who can't see that!

Basically they kinda derisively load it up. As soon as Brad cuts a guy in two though they start gettin into it. By the end all of them seem willing to give it a fair shake, maybe even likin some of what they were seeing.

In any case it was intriguing to see their impression shift from completely dismissive to interesting over the course of a segment.

Also the game looked pretty fun.

#37 Posted by GTCknight (555 posts) -

Quick question I don't own a high-end PC, yet I've been wanting to check this out. I'm basically asking if it can be played on a lower-end PC or not?

On second thought make that a mid-tier PC or both.

#38 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

I was very disappointed with this game. There just wasn't enough racism and naked anime babes. 9/10 - "It's ok" IGN

#39 Posted by me3639 (1609 posts) -

I think im with a lot of you when it comes to the price tag. Especially after recently just paying $20 for games like ROTT and Alien Rage, that seems to be my sweet spot for good time games.

#40 Posted by Tarsier (1052 posts) -
#41 Edited by Sweetz (454 posts) -

I paid $30 (pre-order discount + coupon for owning Hard Reset) and I'm more than getting my money's worth. It's fun and there's a lot of little details and easter eggs that give the game more character than being just another ho-hum manic shooter.

I often think that EA was kind of right about constant bottom dollar Steam sales having a negative effect over time and causing people to devalue games. So many good mid-tier games come out for reasonable prices and everyone just says "I'll wait till it's $10 or less." Seems that there's apparently no room in the market for games other than $10 pixel art indie platformers and $60 yearly sequels of big publishers' games.

#42 Posted by DeviTiffany (401 posts) -

This is a game that's worth supporting. If you enjoyed games like Painkiller or Hard Reset then you should pick this up. This is what FPS should be like again and stop taking themselves so seriously.

#43 Edited by VierasTalo (579 posts) -

Kind of surprised to see people not being able to shell out 40$ for this. I paid 50 for Painkiller back in the day.

Best 50$ I've ever spent.

#44 Edited by mrfluke (4849 posts) -

game looks like a real good time, definitely picking this up.

hope it comes to ps4 eventually.

#45 Posted by Tennmuerti (7726 posts) -

Been playing this now for a few days and it's quite lengthy especially if you take your time exploring and looking for secrets (there are a ton of those).

Another thing to mention is that there is a very decent variety to weapons and moves you can do. Combine that with the upgrades and powers and this game does not suffer from fatigue as fast as most shooters do, despite it's hefty length. Trying out different combos also helps.

If people we're looking for what would an old school shooter be like today, but made well and with love, (and updated with some conveniences) this is it. It gets rid of the bad old shit and keep the good old shit.This is what I feel like what the new Duke Nukem should have been, minus the terrible crassness, plus on good mechanics and interesting levels, variety, pleasant to look at.

As others have already stated in the comments this is definitely worth the $40 asking price, imo. I went in skeptical, but the game won me over in time.

Mechanically I'd say Bulletstorm is smoother, but Shadow Warrior has a better personality.

#47 Edited by 2HeadedNinja (1451 posts) -

@greggd said:

@tru3_blu3 said:

A bit dickish, yet funny ... well done sir.

#48 Edited by Noizemaze (16 posts) -

@mb: There is a "New Game +" yes.

I had a blast with this game. It starts a bit how you'd expect and then evolves into a pretty good action shooter with good voice acting and decent story. Level design is definitely more old school, but they highlight doors and objects in yellow to keep you informed of which direction you need to go. I recommend it.

#49 Edited by armaan8014 (5258 posts) -

I know right? I can't get over how much FUN this game is! This and Far Cry 3 are the best FPS Ive played in a long time. Actually, maybe ever.

FUN!

#50 Posted by TobbRobb (4413 posts) -

Comparing the combat to Skyrim is the meanest thing I've heard someone say about this game. XD