#1 Posted by Aegon (5712 posts) -

So this french journalist dude posted a tweet in Francais. Here's the translation:

Yu Suzuki declares to be thinking about a kickstarter-like model to fund Shenmue 3 !

So, I've never played a Shenmue game, but I think it's pretty much a cult hit right? So a lot of people would be willing to back this is my guess, but I'm not sure how far that would take this game considering the cost of game development.

#2 Edited by psylah (2181 posts) -

Kickstart it off of the table and into the trashcan.

#3 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4252 posts) -

I would play the console demo..

#4 Posted by Nilazz (613 posts) -

They should just release it as a movie or a book. The old games doesn't hold up at all (in my opinion) and the cost for making a new Shenmue would be through the roof, if they decide to do it as detailed as the first two.

#5 Posted by Nightriff (5161 posts) -

Wait there was a Shenmue 2?

#6 Edited by Happenstance (465 posts) -

I would definitely fund a Shenmue 3 kickstarter. I'd prefer a game but would settle for a movie or book as suggested.

#7 Posted by Voxus (344 posts) -

Don't say it two more times...

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Wasn't the first Shenmue a high budget game? I don't think Kickstarter would generate enough for that.

#9 Posted by EuanDewar (5043 posts) -

#10 Posted by Animasta (14715 posts) -

no way could he raise enough

#11 Edited by Pazy (2592 posts) -

@nightriff said:

Yeah, it was on Dreamcast in Europe (I would guess Japan too) and EU/US on Xbox.

#12 Posted by Subjugation (4726 posts) -

This is probably the first kickstarter I would be interested in funding.

#13 Edited by Icicle7x3 (1192 posts) -

But we already know how it's going to end...

#14 Posted by JCGamer (666 posts) -

How much would he need? I mean wasn't shenmue 1's budget huge?

#15 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2027 posts) -

Oh sorry, I thought you were implying that I should care.

#16 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

wat the hell is a shin moo

#17 Edited by Jimbo (9881 posts) -

If he makes it for like... 98% less than Shenmue maybe.

#18 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11933 posts) -

What is Shen...moo-e?

#19 Posted by RioStarwind (570 posts) -

The money he would need to truly make Shenmue 3 would most likely not be possible on a kickstarter. Unless they aim for a much smaller budget which could be possible and I would be interested to see the results.

#20 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2913 posts) -

He would have to raise $100 million for it to be a Shenmue game and not just a Shenmue 'themed' game. So...yeah, I don't see this ever working in a way to satisfy fans.

#21 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2230 posts) -

Does anyone know where I can find a sailor with a lot of money?

#22 Posted by Karkarov (3195 posts) -

Does anyone know where I can find a sailor with a lot of money?

You should check by the lucky hit stand on main street, I also hear he collects bubble toys from the bus stop.

In all seriousness I would back a shenmue even if it was damned to failure, I loved the first two games.

#23 Edited by Fawkes (249 posts) -

This would be one of those kickstarters that I would fund more than the lowest amount to get the thing.

#24 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3820 posts) -

What if he made it with the graphical style of Shenmue 1 & 2? Would that help save some money? Might be kind of cool, too, actually.

#25 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

Don't even joke about that. I may actually have to help fund that one. I doubt it happens.

#26 Posted by Max_Cherry (1138 posts) -

I liked Shenmue, but Yu Suzuki has made too many false promises about Shenmue 3 for me to take him seriously anymore. Also, Kick Starters for large projects are generally only effective in the home stretch of the project.

#27 Posted by yakov456 (1918 posts) -

I would think with today's tech he could make the same style of game for considerably less. Wouldn't be against throwing some cash towards this.

#28 Posted by probablytuna (3745 posts) -

OH HELL YES