Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Dec 26, 2015

An Atlus-developed RPG for Wii U set in a modern-day world of music and art featuring characters and gameplay elements from Intelligent System's Fire Emblem franchise mixed with elements from the Shin Megami Tensei franchise.

SMT x FE - 40 minutes of gameplay - Performa!

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

Watch the video below for Performa action.Treehouse live comes through again! Last year they unexpectedly had a lengthy Xenoblade demo and now Genei Ibunroku (SMT x FE). I'll try to post some impressions once I get through it.

Here's the full demo:

Some impressions:

• Hee Haw Mart
    • City exploration seems similar to Persona. Although you can actually walk around the stores.
    • If it wasn't obvious already, J-pop plays a huge role in this game
    • Lots of boob and butt fan-service going on for the pop stars
    • Oh boy, the Japanese VAs actually sing the songs of their characters. Not sure if they'll do the same thing with the English localization. Kiria's song sounds good in Japanese, but if they can't find someone good for the English version...it'll be rather cringy.
    • Persona-style dialogue choices (except the MC actually speaks). Not sure what exactly this influences. I'm wondering if it influences your character's relationships (do those exist?) or whether it can prevent / instigate certain events happening in the story.
    • Wait...did he just say? No... PERFORMA?!?!?! SHE AWAKENED HER PERFORMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA......
    • Uh, moving on. So when possessed oni-chan makes an appearance, the atmosphere takes on a more SMT appropriate look
    • I like the mirage designs
    • Visually the combat looks great. Great choice to have a spotlight as the enemy selection tool.
    • Hmm..if I understand this correctly, both the SMT elemental weaknesses and the Fire Emblem weapon relationship system are implemented in the combat.
    • Really liking the look of everything surrounding the combat, including the victory screen. Good thing since that'll probably be the majority of the game.
    • Fire Emblem level up jingle is cool.
    • You can stun enemies before going into battle. Looks like you don't have to attack from behind (solving "Vinny's problem")
    • Not sure how session attacks work, but they allow you to string together multiple attacks.
    • Ah, on the level up screen, you can see all the weapon and element resistances. For weapons, it's the standard sword, lance, axe, and bow. For elements, it's fire, ice, electric, wind, and I'm not sure on the last two.
    kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thanks for the links. I'm really wondering why this is even a Fire Emblem thing and not just a Persona off shoot. Mind you I haven't watched yet so we'll see if that's explained or apparent.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I'm so conflicted about this game. I really want to be excited for this, but I'm not sure it's for me. There's elements in there that I could get into, probably, but there's also a lot that's really not my thing.

@kishinfoulux: I'm more wondering why they didn't just call it FE x Persona. I see the Fire Emblem elements, but there's way more Persona here than SMT.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

Man, I'm so conflicted about this game. I really want to be excited for this, but I'm not sure it's for me. There's elements in there that I could get into, probably, but there's also a lot that's really not my thing.

@kishinfoulux: I'm more wondering why they didn't just call it FE x Persona. I see the Fire Emblem elements, but there's way more Persona here than SMT.

I think the reason is because they weren't sure what this game would even be before they started. The seed idea was a pegasus knight flying around shibuya. So I'm sure it wasn't clear at that point which elements of SMT would come into play.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheBlue

This...is certainly not what I expected this game to be. Perhaps the Shin Megami Tensei title is a little misleading if the game is based on the Persona branch of SMT. I hope it's good but the whole Jpop and fanservice focus is a real deal-breaker for me. If they're going to make Tiki be a Jpop idol and sing songs then sorry, no thanks.

Oh and the word Performa makes me want to kick puppies. (Sorry, Rorie)

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aegon

More info from the IGN demo:

• While you play, you receive messages on the gamepad (SMT twitter) from other characters.
    • You can go down side-stories for characters (optional) which can lead to them having their "debut". They get a special attack after they reach their debut.
    • Release date: maybe 2016
    afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just skipped to a random point in the video and they were talking to some chick who was asking for "a little encouragement." Is this what Jeff was looking for? Because it's definitely what I'm looking for! But not really, and I'm kinda disappointed.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I am at work and scared to watch this video.

Seriously, it sounds really diappointing.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aegon

I mean...you've seen the first two trailers right? Were you not disappointed before now?

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We really ought to retitle this page, at this point.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Turambar

@believer258 said:

It's a Persona game with jpop thematic elements much like Persona 5 will have "super thief" elements.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: But it still seems to be missing a lot of the elements that make a Persona game special. I mean, I see hints of it here and there, but it's mostly drowned out by the uber animeness and fanservice.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aegon
    @turambar said:
    @believer258 said:

It's a Persona game with jpop thematic elements much like Persona 5 will have "super thief" elements.

This pretty much. I wouldn't say I'm a fan of J-pop, but if it's presented well, the characters are likable and the gameplay is fun, then I'll play it.

@zeik:The "uber animeness" is a big thematic part of the game, so if that is a deal breaker no matter what else the game has going for it, then you will not enjoy it. That's what it looks like to me right now.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Turambar

@zeik said:

@turambar: But it still seems to be missing a lot of the elements that make a Persona game special. I mean, I see hints of it here and there, but it's mostly drowned out by the uber animeness and fanservice.

Have you played Persona 3 and 4?

Also, as a cross-over game, it would be a gigantic failure if it did not drown itself in fanservice. That combo attack with the two girls singing where they're basically representing the red and green cavaliers that are in every Fire Emblem game? Yes please!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zeik

@turambar: What do you think?

P3 and P4 were anime, but they were definitely not THIS anime. Those games were insane and crazy stylish, but they were still relatively grounded. This game is some anime ass anime. And while they had their share of fanservice (even though a lot of it was added in the later updates) it wasn't this pervasive either.

Both PQ and the Arena games had plenty of fanservice for example, but they didn't do it by filling the game full of skimpy outfits and jiggling boobs. It's not like I'm even one of those people who look down on those kinds of games, but it's not what I want in a JRPG.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: In this case the fanservice is of the "large amounts of cleavage, skimpy outfits, and gratuitous lingering camera shots on boobs" variety and not the "put large amounts of references of past games into this new game" kind.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@turambar: What do you think?

P3 and P4 were anime, but they were definitely not THIS anime. And while they had their share of fanservice (even though a lot of it was added in the later updates) it wasn't this pervasive either.

Both PQ and the Arena games had plenty of fanservice for example, but they didn't do it by filling the game full of skimpy outfits and jiggling boobs. It's not like I'm even one of those people who look down on those kinds of games, but it's not what I want in a JRPG.

Your problem with it seems to stem a whole lot more from the jpop / idol culture side of things and less from the anime side of things then.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: There's more to it than that. Even ignoring that particular part of it, this is still representative of a different style of anime than Persona ever was.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblue said:

@turambar: In this case the fanservice is of the "large amounts of cleavage, skimpy outfits, and gratuitous lingering camera shots on boobs" variety and not the "put large amounts of references of past games into this new game" kind.

I saw plenty of the latter kind, which I greatly appreciated.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@turambar: There's more to it than that. Even ignoring that particular part of it, this is still representative of a different style of anime than Persona ever was.

Considering the culture festival in the P4 and the beach trip in P3, I don't think it's all that different.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Everything about it so far seems absolutely fabulous. Well, the fanservice seems a bit more, for lack of a better way to put it, front-and-center than other games in either series, but nothing too outrageous.

So many fucking good games coming out ahhhhhhh

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zeik

@turambar: I don't really think those things are the same as what I'm talking about, although even if they were, they are a very small part of the whole. What I'm talking about here is the entire aesthetic of the game.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@turambar: I don't really think those things are the same as what I'm talking about, although even if they were, they are a very small part of the whole. What I'm talking about here is the entire aesthetic of the game.

Which is why I noted that your issue with it is stemming from the whole jpop / idol culture side, which the game certainly is basing its aesthetics around.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's the Fire Emblem stuff? I mean, some of the character designs look sort of like Fire Emblem-ish characters, but the gameplay looks like Persona. I have to admit I was kind of expecting this to have Fire Emblem's gameplay style. The game looks very weird, not at all what I was expecting. Can't say I'm too pleased with the whole J-pop theme, seems like a VERY strange theme for Fire Emblem. Honestly, I'm with a lot of others here, I'm kind of disappointed with this.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Hunter5024

I like anime, but I don't like this kind of anime. But I do like this kind of game... SMT X FE you are a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

When I saw it during the conference it looked like one of those Hatsune Miku dancing games and I completely glossed over. I really like both of these things separately, but together I'm not so sure. Thank God I'm getting Persona 5 and Fire Emblem If, so I don't have to worry about it.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aegon

@hunter5024 said:

I like anime, but I don't like this kind of anime. But I do like this kind of game... SMT X FE you are a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Same, but I want to give Atlus the benefit of the doubt. A while ago I used to watch mostly only anime that had action in it, but now I try to be more open about it by watching stuff like Tatami Galaxy and Shirobako. Same thing here. I'm not really into this type of stuff, but if it has some elements I like in it, then I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm not going to say "absolutely not" just because it's strange.

Edit: The character description for the MC is actually interesting when you keep in mind some the complaints in this thread. Not sure if it'll have any significant impact in the game, but it's interesting nonetheless:

Itsuki was an ordinary high school student, but after a certain event, he has awakened as a Mirage Master. He was practically forced into going to the show biz production company called “Fault Entertainment,” where his friends gather, but he doesn’t exactly share their love for the entertainment world.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Hearing more about this game does very little to dispel the bafflement I feel every time I think "This is what resulted out of them wanting to make a crossover between SMT and Fire Emblem?". That's not to say I'm not interested. I love Persona. I love Fire Emblem. I have a certain amount of ironic appreciation for JPOP Idol insanity. This could work. Maybe. Shit, I dunno. Tell me how it's received when it comes out in Japan.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By MEATBALL

I really love what this has turned into. I don't even give a shit about anime, idols or jpop. This just has a cool creative spark and flare that I'm really digging. I can't wait to play it. I kind of prefer that this is what this game is, it's a lot more interesting to me than a bunch of SMT/FE fanservice. It really bums me out that it seems like most of the internet hates this.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: Yeah, honestly, when this was first announced, I was afraid of it being just that. Fan-service for both series and I was wondering how they'd make me care about it. I'm usually not into spin-off junk. I much prefer them going for something different.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally got around to watching this. It looks pretty cool. This is the kind of stuff I love from Japanese devs that you just don't get over here.

@meatball said:

I really love what this has turned into. I don't even give a shit about anime, idols or jpop. This just has a cool creative spark and flare that I'm really digging. I can't wait to play it. I kind of prefer that this is what this game is, it's a lot more interesting to me than a bunch of SMT/FE fanservice. It really bums me out that it seems like most of the internet hates this.

I'm guessing because it's totally not what people were expecting (I sure as hell wasn't) and how the Fire Emblem part seems almost like an afterthought.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Boy, on paper, a game with both SMT and FE should be great. But I am really questioning whether "J-pop: The JRPG" will be for me, especially with the gratuitous boobs and everything.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

uhh I'll wait for the reviews I guess.

(Seriously, so much about this is up my alley but the J-Pop thing is really not my style)

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like a really crazy Persona game, I'm alright with that. This might make me eventually pick up a WiiU.

I can understand peoples disappointment that it looks less like a SMTxFE game when they announced it as such but I still think it looks kind of cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.