Silent Hill Progress

noahtheboa999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By noahtheboa999

Silent Hill, while not quite as phenomenal as the second, has taken up most of my gaming time for the past few days. I'm going to post thoughts as I work through it, but I don't think I'm going to write a full-blown review as everyone should already know Silent Hill is cemented as a horror masterpiece.

The game is praised for many aspects, but perhaps the most prominent for me is the atmosphere. I've only ever completed Silent Hill 2 prior to this game, but already the parallels between the two games are evident. Wander a foggy town, complete with disturbing monsters and strangely distant NPCs, in order to uncover a mystery. In the case of Silent Hill, the main character (Harry Mason) must find his daughter, who went missing after a car crash. Sure, the way the fog restricts sight of anything other than a few feet in front of the player is effective at creating tension, but the indoor environments are even more interesting. Without spoiling too much, lets just say that each indoor segment of the game changes tone dramatically at some point. A normally standard elementary school will turn nightmarish, complete with hanging bodies and grotesque child-like enemies. These aspects add to the overlying theme of insanity, which pops up multiple times over the course of both Silent Hill 1 and 2. Perhaps it is to the game's disadvantage that I played the sequel beforehand, but I don't think the scares were made any less effective. Bodies fall out of closets and strange sounds echo from the walls, startling me on a regular basis. Not only do the stellar sound and visual design work wonders to build atmosphere, the tone of the game creates a feeling of helplessness that never lets up. While wandering through the various environments I always felt on edge, even if a lack of health packs and ammo was never a significant concern. In this respect, Silent Hill is fairly generous, as a keen eye for objects in the environment will almost always keep the player alive. But nevertheless, in many situations the best solution is to simply run away, and this lack of combat makes the encounters that much more exciting.

As stated before, the sound design is absolutely stellar, and here's why. Many sounds that occur don't make much contextual sense, but this only reinforces the "insanity" themes. Sometimes all it takes to unsettle a player is a strategically placed child's cry, or perhaps the iconic and brilliant radio, which crackles and screeches when enemies are nearby. By creating this association between noise and danger, the "always on edge" feeling is further reinforced. Of course, the music of the game is also worth noting, as Akira Yamaoka's distrubing soundscapes contribute to the atmosphere considerably. After all, who can deny the genius of the instantly recognizable title theme? Moving on to the visual design, here is another area where Silent Hill excells (although it shows its age at every corner). The school, hospital, and other buildings that populate Silent Hill look fairly standard, but once they've switched to their "nightmare" versions they truly shine. Rusty metal grating makes up the floors of some of these horrific rooms, with blood splatters distributed liberally. While the characters indeed look awful, the player will get used to the game's age after a small amount of playtime. The FMV cutscenes also look dated, but since I have a weakness for this style of CGI, they only made me like the game more. Don't ask me why, I just like the look of them (especially the scene where Harry wakes up in the diner).

Of course everyone is aware of the "tank controls" which are utilized in older survival horror games. Silent Hill controls clumsily, but it's entirely intentional. If the player was given standard 3D movement, escaping would be much easier and a large amount of tension would be lost. It seems strange to compliment what are essentially "bad controls", but in Silent Hill's case, they completely work. Resident Evil 2, a game which I personally hate, is much more heavy on combat so I feel that the controls are a detriment to the experience. But in Silent Hill, since the player is encouraged to avoid combat in many situations, the controls feel entirely at place.

That's all I have to say for now, and since I went so far in depth I may not have any more to say once I've finished the game. I'm also working on Planescape: Torment, so thoughts on that will be put up shortly. If you haven't played Silent Hill, there's no better time after the recent teaser for Silent Hills, PT. If you have a PS4, play that too, it's free.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Nice review (Blog)! I remember the game looking simply amazing back in the day. I don't know if that was a result of limiting the draw distance with all that fog and darkness, but it did bring the most out of the ps1. I also think Silent Hill 2 is the best in the series, but since I played Silent Hill 1 first it holds a special place in my gaming heart.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think Silent Hill 2 is the best Silent Hill and its story is absolutely landmark, but Silent Hills uno and tres are scarier games. 3 plays a little better and had a less goofy story, along with maybe the only relatable Silent Hill protagonist in the series.

I actually think the harsh pixelated PS1 look adds to the horror, it forces your imagination to fill in gaps, and your imagination is superior to PS2 or PS3 tech.

xPolyMorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Silent Hill 2 is the best Silent Hill and its story is absolutely landmark, but Silent Hills uno and tres are scarier games. 3 plays a little better and had a less goofy story, along with maybe the only relatable Silent Hill protagonist in the series.

I actually think the harsh pixelated PS1 look adds to the horror, it forces your imagination to fill in gaps, and your imagination is superior to PS2 or PS3 tech.

The Silent Hill 2 Hospital and The Labyrinth are pretty scary though. Just had to throw that in there.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I would like a "Patrick and Dan play the first 60 minutes of Silent Hill 2" but that won't happen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xpolymorphic: I spent more Goddamn time in that hospital than I did in the Normandy. Brookside Hospital is Goddamn home base for me.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I thought James was plenty relatable. He's not a hero, he's not even that good of a person. He's a chronically depressed widower who feels guilty about some rough shit that went down a few years before the game. I think more people can relate to those feels when learning about the history in James and Mary's marriage. Then you've got the push-pull with Maria, and the Pyramid Head (which is still the most awesome explanation behind a slasher monster in horror fiction, I find) and, yeah, I'm having a hard time figuring out how James Sunderland isn't the most relatable character in the series.

Well, unless we're talking about Harry from Shattered Memories, although that might be cheating since you determine his personality.

xPolyMorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xPolyMorphic

@brodehouse said:

I thought James was plenty relatable. He's not a hero, he's not even that good of a person. He's a chronically depressed widower who feels guilty about some rough shit that went down a few years before the game. I think more people can relate to those feels when learning about the history in James and Mary's marriage. Then you've got the push-pull with Maria, and the Pyramid Head (which is still the most awesome explanation behind a slasher monster in horror fiction, I find) and, yeah, I'm having a hard time figuring out how James Sunderland isn't the most relatable character in the series.

Well, unless we're talking about Harry from Shattered Memories, although that might be cheating since you determine his personality.

Actually I'm pretty sure that it's stated in SH2 that James goes to Silent Hill pretty much right after killing his wife

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Oldirtybearon
xPolyMorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xpolymorphic: Never heard that before.

I'm like 99% sure that Mary's body is actually in the trunk of James car at the start of the game

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@xpolymorphic: I kinda hope not. Then again, I'm more into the supernatural stuff with Silent Hill, so I prefer things to be a mix of "in your head" and "spooky shit happening the town is actually purgatory GET OUT" personally.

Still, it's an interesting read of the scenario.

xPolyMorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: While the Book of Lost Memories suggests the possibility of James taking Mary's body with him to Silent Hill in the trunk of his car, the novelization affirms it and follows the "In Water" ending. However, Masahiro Ito, on his Twitter page, said that that he believed Mary's body was actually on the back seat. [1] When asked how James didn't notice her body, Ito replied that James had repressed the memory of her murder. [2]

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@xpolymorphic: Wait, What?.. Why? The "In Water" Ending I only believed that meant he was joining her in the afterlife. Not literally her body hiding in the same exact vehicle as he commits suicide in? Also, how come James never saw her in the beginning just kinda... hanging out in the back seat while he grabbed the map? In the Book of Lost Memories while it is mentioned underneath a game caption it does seem like a non-sequitur. While in the game Mary mentions that she enjoyed Silent Hill during a vacation but hasn't been there for quite some time and also mentions that James promised that he'd bring her but never did. Did he just drive back with her in the back seat and succumb to amnesia in the process? Also Laura mentioning she met Mary "Last year"... Man that car must reek!

Anyway I just usually don't agree with that Idea. Sorry, in my mind it just doesn't make sense...

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Man, the original Silent Hill is probably the game that got to me the most when I played it (Granted I was like 10 years old but still). How far are you in it? I don't want to spoil too much for you if you haven't finished it yet, but if I recall correctly the first game doesn't have much in common with the second in terms of themes.

Yeah, I agree with that. The crunchy look to the game (as well as the sound design) added so much to it. The classic PS1 shimmering textures just amplified it. I'll also agree that Silent Hill 2 has my favorite story of the bunch, but I wouldn't say that 3's story is less goofy (that had so much cult nonsense).

@xpolymorphic: I spent more Goddamn time in that hospital than I did in the Normandy. Brookside Hospital is Goddamn home base for me.

CoughBrookhavenCough. I had to double check that too, it's been a while since I've played 2.

@xpolymorphic: Never heard that before.

Yep, SH2 takes place mere days after James murdered Mary.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just have one recommendation , save those ampules for the end ... especially if you do some "extra" stuff. I dont have a fav Silent Hill I enjoy them all the same (1-2-3-4) , and the western made ones well I do like them as well(not as much as the japanes developed but still).

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mason20

@thunderslash: Where are people getting that Silent Hill 2 takes place mere days after when Laura herself mentions that they haven't seen each other for a year or Mary saying that James never took them back "promised you'd take me there again someday, but you Never Did."?

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ThunderSlash

@mason20 said:

@thunderslash: Where are people getting that Silent Hill 2 takes place mere days after when Laura herself mentions that they haven't seen each other for a year or Mary saying that James never took them back "promised you'd take me there again someday, but you Never Did."?

If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance. But here's what I remember of the story (last time I played it was 2 years ago):

Mary and Laura stayed in the same hospital (Brookhaven) at least a year before the game takes place, which is why Laura hasn't seen her in a while. Later on, Mary moves back home with James. Three years after Mary's illness occurred, James kills her. James then gets some sort of amnesia and Silent Hill calls out to him.

The quote from Mary is from the letter James "received" if I recall correctly. This letter was proven to be a figment of James' imagination/Silent Hill's influence, it becomes a blank piece of paper later in the game (if you examine it after fighting Eddie, it will be blank I think).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I agree with that. The crunchy look to the game (as well as the sound design) added so much to it. The classic PS1 shimmering textures just amplified it. I'll also agree that Silent Hill 2 has my favorite story of the bunch, but I wouldn't say that 3's story is less goofy (that had so much cult nonsense).

If you don't like any cult stuff whatsoever, then 3 can be goofy, but 3 does the cult stuff really well. I read Lovecraft, so I'm into stories of evil small town cults. But the cult stuff in 1 is just hilariously goofy (FORETOLD BY GYROMANCY!), whereas the cult stuff in 3 is pretty well done. The interplay between Vincent and Claudia, the nature of what's happening to Heather... You can play that with no knowledge of 1 and it's still great.

Silent Hill 1 has a certain Resident Evil quality to some of the performances.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: Haha yeah I agree that SH1's script and acting was a bit spotty.

"Huh, radio. What's going on with that radio?"

xPolyMorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mason20 said:

@xpolymorphic: Wait, What?.. Why? The "In Water" Ending I only believed that meant he was joining her in the afterlife. Not literally her body hiding in the same exact vehicle as he commits suicide in? Also, how come James never saw her in the beginning just kinda... hanging out in the back seat while he grabbed the map? In the Book of Lost Memories while it is mentioned underneath a game caption it does seem like a non-sequitur. While in the game Mary mentions that she enjoyed Silent Hill during a vacation but hasn't been there for quite some time and also mentions that James promised that he'd bring her but never did. Did he just drive back with her in the back seat and succumb to amnesia in the process? Also Laura mentioning she met Mary "Last year"... Man that car must reek!

Anyway I just usually don't agree with that Idea. Sorry, in my mind it just doesn't make sense...

I'm not trying to be a dick about it but it's not really something you agree with or not she's in the car at the start, the game takes place only a few days after her death.

While the Book of Lost Memories suggests the possibility of James taking Mary's body with him to Silent Hill in the trunk of his car, the novelization affirms it and follows the "In Water" ending. However, Masahiro Ito, on his Twitter page, said that that he believed Mary's body was actually on the back seat. [1] When asked how James didn't notice her body, Ito replied that James had repressed the memory of her murder. [2]

xPolyMorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mason20 said:

If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance. But here's what I remember of the story (last time I played it was 2 years ago):

Mary and Laura stayed in the same hospital (Brookhaven) at least a year before the game takes place, which is why Laura hasn't seen her in a while. Later on, Mary moves back home with James. Three years after Mary's illness occurred, James kills her. James then gets some sort of amnesia and Silent Hill calls out to him.

The quote from Mary is from the letter James "received" if I recall correctly. This letter was proven to be a figment of James' imagination/Silent Hill's influence, it becomes a blank piece of paper later in the game (if you examine it after fighting Eddie, it will be blank I think).

Yeah thunder James saying Mary died years ago is all in his head While the Book of Lost Memories suggests the possibility of James taking Mary's body with him to Silent Hill in the trunk of his car, the novelization affirms it and follows the "In Water" ending. However, Masahiro Ito, on his Twitter page, said that that he believed Mary's body was actually on the back seat. [1] When asked how James didn't notice her body, Ito replied that James had repressed the memory of her murder. [2]

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xpolymorphic: I'm just basing my facts from what they have presented in the game... Sure, the "in Water" end may actually be in the Novel but I've read a few game to novel/novel to game/Novel to movie adaptations and such to know that may not always be the canonical case. But, that end is the "Bad End" and with everything behind the idea of Silent Hill, I always figured the hardest to obtain (the Best End) as a true end. Call me an optimist which ever lol. It's like saying that Silent Hill 1 end isn't canon because the Silent Hill movie had a different ending?

Although I've never read the novel (sorry, I don't plan too). I'm not looking for a twitter comment from a decade after(again, sorry I don't plan too). I'm not looking at a translated game guide or any guide(I didn't need one to play the game). I've just never heard of anyone claiming that ending as the real ending until this forum... Which is why I questioned it. But, I've made my mind as you have made yours. So why not agree to disagree?

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Wait until you get the emergency hammer. That thing is the best.

xPolyMorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xPolyMorphic

@mason20: Well the only reason I knew of it in the first place is because it specifically states within the game that Mary died only days died prior and is probably in the car at the start. Actually this a pretty big plot point and the entire reason for the character of Laura to help convince James she died years before. I can't specifically recall the exact part in the game it references this but I know it's in there somewhere. It's whatever though it's not that big of a deal.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ThunderSlash
@mason20 said:

@xpolymorphic: I'm just basing my facts from what they have presented in the game... Sure, the "in Water" end may actually be in the Novel but I've read a few game to novel/novel to game/Novel to movie adaptations and such to know that may not always be the canonical case. But, that end is the "Bad End" and with everything behind the idea of Silent Hill, I always figured the hardest to obtain (the Best End) as a true end. Call me an optimist which ever lol. It's like saying that Silent Hill 1 end isn't canon because the Silent Hill movie had a different ending?

Although I've never read the novel (sorry, I don't plan too). I'm not looking for a twitter comment from a decade after(again, sorry I don't plan too). I'm not looking at a translated game guide or any guide(I didn't need one to play the game). I've just never heard of anyone claiming that ending as the real ending until this forum... Which is why I questioned it. But, I've made my mind as you have made yours. So why not agree to disagree?

Silent Hill 1 Spoilers Below

Well for Silent Hill 1 the canon ending seems to be the Good Ending, but not the Good+ ending (in which Cybil survives and becomes Harry's wife). This can only be assumed because of how Silent Hill 3 starts out (plus, Heather never mentions having a mother I believe). So the canon ending isn't necessarily the best ending you can get in the game.

Don't worry too much about what's canon in Silent Hill 2 though, since outside of non-game references Silent Hill 2's ending is only hinted at once in any of the other games (Silent Hill 4). In Silent Hill 4, one of the characters, Frank Sunderland (James' father), mentions that his son and daughter-in-law went missing in Silent Hill. Take that as you will.

For the record, I'm not a big proponent of the "Mary's body is in the car" thing. I mean, it's possible but it's not a necessary element for the story to work.

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderslash: I wasn't saying which ending was canon in Silent Hill 1. Sorry, I was just using it as a example of media to media adaptation. Though, now that you mention it. Man, I continuously feel like an ass here. Sorry noahtheboa999 for hijacking your topic. I'm glad you've enjoyed your experience and hope to hear more if you continue. Also, please disregard pointless fan debate and go in and figure it out yourself. Silent Hill is a series that is better when you know little about what you're getting into.

Not to pointlessly argue about games with multiple endings yet, I fully understand I'm about to.. According to the ending of SH1... Yes, with the beginning of SH3 it starts without Cybil. But Cybil was a cop and who's to say she wouldn't just go back to work? There isn't really a point for her to leave with Harry and his new child. Not saying the good ending is wrong but why is the good+ ending automatically wrong?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One great thing about Silent Hill is that all of the multiple endings make sense. They're all logical conclusions based on what you did or did not do during the events of the game. For some people the Good+ ending is their ending, for others the "Bad" ending is their ending. The series as a whole has been rather careful about not stepping on the players' toes to directly say "this happened" or "that happened." Even in SH3, even though Heather's mother is not directly referenced, you could easily assume that things just didn't work out between Harry and Cybil.

Personally that's something I really dig about the series and I hope it doesn't change.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

The original Silent Hill is still far and away my favorite game in the series. The grimy and crude textures really do add so much to that game, and combined with the amazing sound design, it's certainly the scariest and most unsettling game in the series. SH2 is surely a great game, too, and a landmark in video game storytelling, but I don't think the overall experience compares to that of the original.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ThunderSlash

@mason20: You make a good point. They've certainly made things ambiguous regarding the two good endings. Eh, I'm not one to worry about ending canonicity in these games, the games are mostly standalone enough that it doesn't matter much anyway. For all I know the UFO endings are the true endings; and James got all those cult items and revived Mary and they lived happily ever after in the tourist town Silent Hill.

You're right, I'm going to stop talking about this before I accidentally spoil the games to a newcomer. GG

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

One great thing about Silent Hill is that all of the multiple endings make sense. They're all logical conclusions based on what you did or did not do during the events of the game. For some people the Good+ ending is their ending, for others the "Bad" ending is their ending. The series as a whole has been rather careful about not stepping on the players' toes to directly say "this happened" or "that happened." Even in SH3, even though Heather's mother is not directly referenced, you could easily assume that things just didn't work out between Harry and Cybil.

Personally that's something I really dig about the series and I hope it doesn't change.

It doesn't look like it will in all honesty, hell If anything, judging from the easter eggs they've planted in the game, I think they are going to tackle with MORE possibilities . "The only me is me, are you sure the only you is you?" comes to mind specifically. Plus, the new game is called SILENT HILLS, plural, so there are a lot of indications that there are going to be a lot of possible outcomes as a result to what the player does.