• 127 results
alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex
Don't delete P.T. from your PlayStation 4.
Don't delete P.T. from your PlayStation 4.

As of last week, we knew that P.T. would be disappearing from the PlayStation Store. The announcement of that pending disappearance came around the same time as the announcement that Silent Hills, Konami's horror franchise reboot that P.T. was created to promote, was officially canceled. As depressing as all that was, at least P.T. would still exist in some capacity. Even if it wasn't listed on the store anymore, those who previously downloaded it would theoretically be able to re-download it at their leisure, should the need to do so arise.

Or, so we thought.

Last night, word broke that P.T. was, in fact, no longer available to be downloaded from the PlayStation Store at all. I caught wind of this via former Polygon editor Russ Frushtick, and since last night, both Polygon and Kotaku have attempted to re-download P.T. from the PlayStation Store and received an error for their troubles. I have been reluctant to try this myself, as I don't want P.T. to be gone from my PlayStation 4, but the reports appear widespread enough to confirm this is a consistent issue--though Polygon notes in their story that European players are reportedly still able to re-download P.T..

P.T. disappearing entirely is an extraordinary thing, not only because of how well liked P.T. was, but because this is not typically what happens when games are delisted from digital stores. Usually, if a game/add-on/demo is removed, the file itself remains on the store's servers, allowing purchasers to reclaim anything they might have had to delete in the past via their download history. P.T. was initially available to re-download following its delisting, but as of last night this is no longer the case. P.T. was a free demo, so no one is out money here, but given the amount of hand-wringing that's gone on since the industry began to shift toward digital marketplaces, it's not surprising that this complete scrubbing of P.T. has sparked strong reactions.

That said, it's worth noting that not all concerns currently floating around are legitimate. This morning, Minecraft composer Daniel Rosenfeld (otherwise known as c418) tweeted out a worrying looking screenshot of his P.T. copy's information screen, which showed an expiration date for the demo. This immediately sparked concern that Konami might be trying to actively kill the demo from people's PlayStations, but that wasn't the case. As it turned out, P.T. was only released in Germany (Rosenfeld's home country) as a PlayStation Plus item, and the expiration date attached to his copy lined up with the expiration date on his Plus account. Just to confirm it for myself, I took a screenshot of my own P.T. screen and came up with no expiration date.

No Caption Provided

So, at the very least, if you have P.T. on your PlayStation 4 at this moment, you will theoretically be able to keep playing it all you want. At least until Konami CEO Satoshi Sakamoto swoops into your living room in the dead of night and manually deletes it off your hard drive, leaving behind a giant Silent Hill-themed slot machine as the only evidence he was ever there. At the current rate this P.T./Kojima stuff is escalating, I figure we've got about a month until that actually starts happening.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jesterroyal

RIP.

Rincewind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rincewind

No-one shall play our teaser now quack quack quack.

No Caption Provided

victorviper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By victorviper

Heartbreaking.

cbirdsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By cbirdsong

So in Germany, they did pay for it - through PS+. Can they redownload it?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

People had better be backing up the files if they haven't done so already.

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck that.

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 65

No Caption Provided

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbirdsong: As I mentioned in the story, Polygon notes in their write-up that European players have reported being able to still re-download the file. So, I guess for the moment, yes?

dahlis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dahlis

So I guess now's the time to sell my P.T and PS4 on ebay for 10 000$...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I have it downloaded to my PS4's hdd, who's ready to make me an offer on my system and PSN account?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Maybe the Star Fox 2 of our generation?

Miacosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Miacosa

If folks are gonna try their own experiment by deleting P.T. and then trying to re-download it. May I suggest using the PS4's Backup tool first so they can do a restore if it all goes wrong.

vasari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hanging up effigies of Kojima in my home to ward off that pesky Sakamoto.

winsol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Why do this? Because Konami is Konami.

Rirse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess Konami is really wanting that "Worst Company" reward that EA gets every year.

Bapetacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bapetacular

I remember Magical Drop F (Japan PS1 Classic) and another Japanese PS1 game whose name I can't remember being entirely removed from the PSN store and download list over a year ago. I lost 10 bucks worth of games when that happened.

This is one of the reasons I still prefer physical copies of game

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

P.T. was my favourite game last year. Why not just patch the teaser out, and if they have to pay to keep it on PSN, charge like $1-5 for the game. People would be kinda pissed, but not as much as they are now.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

No Caption Provided

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CaLe

If you already played it then who cares, I don't get the big concern everyone has about this. Just delete the file and move on with your life. If you missed out on playing it then YouTube it or something.

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale: i think people are upset on principle more than anything else. considering how successful it was and now to have konami actively, and quite aggressively trying to get everyone to shut up about it is fucked. Plus if you're a big silent hill fan its cool to play a slice of what could have been the best silent hill game ever.

dorkymohr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@cale: Preservation is important to some people.

Avatar image for bulkiest_toaster
Bulkiest_Toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read the EULA people. They can take your games away for pretty much any reason at the end of the day.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Don't worry guys, they will release a P.T. Ultra HD version when the PS5 comes out ;)

MomoiroKaichou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lane_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome to the future where it might become impossible to preserve games because companies involved don't actually care about their products in any other way but as assets worth of money. And that's a bit sad viewpoint considering how much the industry depends on people being enthusiastic about games. Making money can be ruthless.

daemonblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Konami should just stop teasing everyone and say that The Phantom Pain will be the last video game they'll make.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lane_: This actually has very little to do with money. This has to do with bad blood between Kojima and Konami, and the fact that the whole game is a trailer for a project that no longer exists. It costs Konami basically nothing to keep it on PSN so it's pretty clear that this wasn't financially motivated.

diehappygames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, here's a question: if I have the license (or whatever) on my PSN account from having downloaded it in the past, and I have a friend who still has the demo on their hard drive, is there any way for me to copy the demo from their drive to mine and then run it using my PSN account?

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the project is scrapped so ofc. they take down the teaser be it interactive or not. Why would they take any additional measures to keep this thing when they dont give a crap about preserving anything else in their catalog and noone has even payed for this?

blackpuddytat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By blackpuddytat

T.K.O. = Totally Konami'd to Oblivion

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I figured this was a possibility, but though I would probably never play it, I do wish I had actually downloaded it to my PS4 instead of just adding it to my download queue from my computer the other night.

MrTrainman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gaaaaaaaaaah. This is incredibly disappointing as someone who is only going to be picking up a PS4 this summer. I was really looking forward to at least having a chance to play P.T. in the wake of Silent Hills being cancelled as a fan of the series/genre. :(

VargasPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, here's a question: if I have the license (or whatever) on my PSN account from having downloaded it in the past, and I have a friend who still has the demo on their hard drive, is there any way for me to copy the demo from their drive to mine and then run it using my PSN account?

I would assume not, since the files on your friend's drive would be the actual game installation, and not an installer. The installation is probably tied to his PSN account, so copying the files over would probably not work. Not even sure it would work if you did that and signed into PSN using his credentials.

This is 100% speculation on my part, though, and I'm not sure this is true. You can try, but I would be surprised if it works.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

It was a Playable Teaser for Sony and Microsoft un-licensing everyone's complete digital collections shortly after PS5 and XBOXTWO launch.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I deleted before the date because I didn't care enough about it. It's a good thing Patrick played it on the site so I don't really need to finish it. Loved the concept and execution of Playable Teaser so it's sad that it may never make it to a video game museum in a physical form. The whole Silent Hills debacle seems like a huge bummer as someone who enjoys attempts at horror in video games. There are barely any retail products that are as interesting as this thing that was basically a free demo.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is all a ruse between Kojima and Konami to push PT onto as many PS4's as possible just to pull something wild out of the hat, like having Lisa the ghost appear on everyone's screen at the time of the family's murder prior to release. That's what I'd do anyway...

*runs away sobbing*

Windir2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MrFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MrFill

I believe Europe could still download it because our store only updates today. Since the store updated I've seen reports it's gone for Europe as well.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RonGalaxy

@cale said:

If you already played it then who cares, I don't get the big concern everyone has about this. Just delete the file and move on with your life. If you missed out on playing it then YouTube it or something.

It was something that captivated a lot of people for a good long while. Sure, it was a free demo (teaser) for a game that has been cancelled and, yes, Konami has the right to do this because the console end user agreement for downloadable games make it so, but it's still unfortunate. Hell, I'd even call it sad. It's a piece of gaming history that has been scrubbed away for a new audience to encounter and an old one to fondly recall. Maybe it didn't speak to you on any level, but why have such a cynical attitude towards it?

Venekor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it, thought it was shit, just going through the same corridor over and over.

dasin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dasin81

I feel bad for the folks that built this fantastic teaser. At least if they could leave it up then they would have something left of their hard work to be appreciated. It's just sad to see great work erased.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

The thing had a built in trailer for a game that will no longer exist so it's not surprising that they felt they should get rid of it. It's like if they would continue running an ad for a product that they don't actually carry anymore, or in this case, never did in the first place.

Seems like a "but who cares" situation from the player perspective, but big companies like that care and they do something about it.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By saddlebrown

@cale said:

For me, it was a fun game to show to people. Scared the shit out of my girlfriend, and a bunch of my friends and I played it together. Tons of fun. Luckily I still have my copy.

I don't get the "well I watched it on YouTube; that's gotta be the same as playing it myself, right?" attitude.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When stuff disappears like this it's usually because the publisher no longer has the rights.

Perhaps Kojima owned the rights to this property and when he left the rights went with him.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeez.

reelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Glad I downloaded it before it was taken down, time to sell my ps4 on ebay for 100000 dollars!

Quantical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Konami, a petty little thing. Coming soon.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

When stuff disappears like this it's usually because the publisher no longer has the rights.

Perhaps Kojima owned the rights to this property and when he left the rights went with him.

Shit, I never even considered that.