Edited 1 year, 7 months ago

Poll: Download or physical copy? (156 votes)

Download 62%
Physical Copy 38%

I am going to order SimCity today finally. But I noticed I can get a discount by using a promotional code, but that's only for the virtual copy, thoughts? I would like a tangible copy, but is it just better to get the physical copy?

Also random question, if I do get a physical copy, could I enter the key code online and have a virtual copy? (With origin or Steam)

#1 Edited by Sanity (1939 posts) -

A physical copy will require you to register it with origin no matter what, personally, i got the digital copy as i could care less about the box.

#2 Posted by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

It's an EA PC game so it's never going to be on Steam. It's my understanding that when you install it you will need to log into Origin so there's no difference between where you buy it. Ether way it's all going to be on Origin and linked to an Origin account. The only difference is by having a physical copy you won't need to download it to install.

I got my copy off green man gaming like 6 months back for like $25-$30 so I'm digital.

#3 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Split the difference. Download a physical copy.

#4 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (735 posts) -

Physical copy as it is 33% cheaper.

#5 Posted by MOAB (410 posts) -

physical copies require space. fuck that shit.

#6 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

The physical copy is 60 for me, virtual is 40, so how is the physical copy cheaper?

#7 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (735 posts) -

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/sim-city-limited-edition/10596787.html - £32.98, I got 10% off thanks to a preorder deal a couple weeks ago.

Origin lists it for £44.99, as does GMG. Simplygames.com lists both key and physical for around £35 (physical is still cheaper by a couple of pennies though.)

#8 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

It's tied to Origin permanently anyway, so the only difference is a disc which you'll only likely use once and be done with it.

#9 Posted by Sanity (1939 posts) -

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/sim-city-limited-edition/10596787.html - £32.98, I got 10% off thanks to a preorder deal a couple weeks ago.

Origin lists it for £44.99, as does GMG. Simplygames.com lists both key and physical for around £35 (physical is still cheaper by a couple of pennies though.)

I think hes talking about 40 dollars, thats still cheaper then £35.

#10 Edited by Bollard (5661 posts) -

If you go on GMG's blog the almost always have a discount code, it's like 20% off too. I got Sim City from them as a download key for £36. Not as good as Zavvi, but last time I preordered from them the game came a week late, so I've given up on them now. Used to like them.

#11 Posted by seamus85 (116 posts) -

waiting for big citys

#12 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

I like to have it in my cupboard :)

#13 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@moab said:

physical copies require space. fuck that shit.

Yah, its not like space is infinite, or, you know, endless.

#14 Edited by MOAB (410 posts) -
#15 Posted by SmilingPig (1340 posts) -

Physical copies should be out on the 28 at walmart.

#16 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1660 posts) -

download all the way my man. Can't go wrong with it!

#17 Posted by bigstrat2003 (69 posts) -

Physical copy. Yeah, it's 99% likely that a physical copy will require Origin, but that's better than the 100% chance of the digital version.

#18 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I did end up pre-ordering the downloadable version from Amazon.

#19 Posted by Addfwyn (1934 posts) -

Download, a physical copy would probably have to be imported and would cost a ridiculous sum of money.

#20 Posted by isomeri (1315 posts) -

I was honestly slightly amazed to find out that Gamestop still carries physical copies of PC-games when my friend told me that he doesn't use Steam.

#21 Posted by Fattony12000 (7518 posts) -

It's actually cheaper for us Brits getting a physical copy from Amazon.co.uk, for a change.

Amazon.com

$59.99 = £39.55

Amazon.co.uk

£34.99 = $53.08

#22 Posted by Tyashki (213 posts) -

Physical copy, as it was cheaper for me.

#23 Posted by Chaser324 (6649 posts) -

@smilingpig: Just keep in mind that even though you might be able to find a physical copy to buy on February 28, it's pretty likely that you won't be able to actually play it until the official release date.

#24 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

You have to be online to play it anyway, so what's the advantage to a physical copy?

#25 Posted by Demoskinos (15011 posts) -

Physical copies of PC games make no sense at all anymore.

#26 Edited by Humanity (9583 posts) -

I'd say physical copy just so you have something. I went digital on Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3 - I've since uninstalled both games and have literally nothing to show for them, it's kind of weird.

#27 Edited by selbie (1929 posts) -

Go for whatever saves you money. In the end, your physical copy will be locked to your Origin account. The game is also there for you to download at any time after you've uninstalled it.

Also, hell of DLC!! This is an EA / Maxis game. There is a good chance you will be paying money for extra content anyway.

#28 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

You're not going to own the game either way, so don't bother with getting a physical copy unless it's cheaper.

#29 Posted by vaportra1l (272 posts) -

I got the physical for the $20 credit on Amazon but I would rather have the digital download. I have prime so I will get it Tuesday anyways with release date shipping.

#30 Posted by cbarnes86 (559 posts) -

I would say the physical would be the way to go (no download on release day), but if you are like me and have absolutely NO game stores nearby, go digital.

#31 Posted by Caustic_Fox (112 posts) -

Get the physical copy. Or... if you rather feel like buying some air, get the Digital version instead.

#32 Posted by Dalai (7040 posts) -

I went the digital route officially breaking my policy on buying physical copies of games with Sim in the name.

The future tomorrow... today, folks.

#33 Posted by Jettblackk (52 posts) -

Preordered the physical here, but with the $20 credit you get with it on Amazon, that was a no brainer for me, although i use amazon alot...

#34 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Both! Download 3D image of disk, use CNC machine to print physical copy.

#35 Posted by karmaghost (168 posts) -

Does anybody know if you have to install the game from the disc with the physical copy or is it like steam and you can just use a code to download it if you want? I have a gift card from Christmas I want to use to buy the game, but I don't have an optical drive on my PC.