#1 Posted by slyspider (1206 posts) -

Now i haven't played the game, but from what I hear, this is NOT a 10/10 game in anyone's view. Can anyone explain to me why eurogamer.se gives it a 10/10 and claims it to be early game of the year? Did this come with a large sum of money?

Link: http://www.eurogamer.se/articles/2013-03-04-recension-sim-city (its in Swedish so i had to translate it English, maybe the whole article in Swedish makes more sense...)

#2 Posted by LiquidPrince (15912 posts) -

Because opinions.

#3 Posted by slyspider (1206 posts) -

@liquidprince: but isnt the game actively broken? and not even out in europe? i may be totally wrong, its why i asked

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (14770 posts) -

@slyspider: Some people are getting in to play. Its just one of those things if you're one of the lucky ones possibly he had a good experience with it. You really can only speak to your experience.

#5 Posted by Gonmog (580 posts) -

Is the game actively broken? No. The servers are a crap hole. But the game it self is just fine. And i can indeed see how someone would give it a high score. Or a low score.

As to it not being out, well they got a review copy and server to play on so theres that.

#6 Posted by Snail (8595 posts) -

@liquidprince: but isnt the game actively broken? and not even out in europe? i may be totally wrong, its why i asked

EA sent out review copies to editors before the game was out. Maybe they reviewed the game before it had been released to the public, when the servers were working fine because they weren't being overloaded.

Basically what this article says.

#7 Posted by LiquidPrince (15912 posts) -

I dunno. I don't think anyone here could tell you what was going on in the mind of that reviewer when he gave it the score that he did. I mean his review should explain that right?

#8 Edited by BaneFireLord (2927 posts) -

Eurogamer.se. EuroGAMEr.Se. EA GMES. EA GAMES. Follow the money.

#9 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I could see this game being really awesome with a lot of friends in a giant city.

#10 Posted by TheHT (11152 posts) -

@gonmog said:

Is the game actively broken? No. The servers are a crap hole. But the game it self is just fine. And i can indeed see how someone would give it a high score. Or a low score.

As to it not being out, well they got a review copy and server to play on so theres that.

being able to visit someone elses town and build parks all over seems broken.

#11 Edited by slyspider (1206 posts) -

@theht said:

@gonmog said:

being able to visit someone elses town and build parks all over seems broken.

oh crap i forgot about that

#12 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I could see this game being really awesome with a lot of friends in a giant city.

It's funny because there aren't any giant cities to be found in this game.

#13 Posted by Milkman (16670 posts) -
#14 Posted by Nictel (2412 posts) -

I've never read a good review from eurogamer.* . They always seem to review based on the "general idea" of a game. So Sim City is popular so it's good.

#15 Posted by Ares42 (2624 posts) -

After having played it a few hours today I can easily see how this game is the perfect game for certain players.

#16 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Give it a few days and they'll change it because of server issues.

#17 Posted by Addfwyn (1921 posts) -

I'm still not sold that we should be reviewing on launch day issues for an online game. Sure you can argue that maybe it should have been a single player game, but everything they did to design it was for a MP game.

Heck, single-player games have been released pretty broken too (every Bethesda game ever). Maybe it is because I am a longterm MMO player, but launch week woes are just part of the package with online games.

#18 Posted by DystopiaX (5300 posts) -

I like how "Game outlet has unconventional opinion, they must be paid off!" is now a thing.

It's not. It makes no sense for you to pay off one outlet, because now everyone looks at aggregate scores/general opinion. Even if one outlet gave them a high score compared to others, that would stand out among all the others and raise suspicion like it is now. It makes no sense for any of the parties involved to do it.

#19 Edited by Von (328 posts) -

While I personally wouldn't give it a 10/10, I can definitely see why the reviewer thought it was worth that much. The whole article felt rather objective and certainly not a case of "paid to grade well". He also mentioned the "Always online" DRM as a major issue for those of us who wants to play Sim City by ourselves, without the online community.

To me it seems like the reviewer jumped into this game the way I jump into a The Sims game, i.e "Here's a plot of land! Build, goof around, and have rather fun in a silly way!".

#20 Posted by ThunderSlash (1686 posts) -

While I don't know how to speak nor read Swedish, something tells me that they liked the game. Just a hunch...

#21 Edited by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

It is a pretty good game but it definitely isn't perfect; I've run into plenty of repeatable bugs so far. Overall though, it is very enjoyable. Perhaps my experience is colored by the fact that I've had almost no server stability problems.

And to everyone saying the game is dumbed down, you honestly have no clue. This game is far more challenging than SC4 so far.

#22 Posted by Optix12 (612 posts) -

Just me but could this game ever really get 10/10 now on general review systems purely because of their servers not working on day one. To stop people playing a single game because a feature in your game doesnt work classes that as a large problem. If it released completely fine then I could get behind a perfect score but as it did not I cant say its 10/10. And yes the servers are part of the game and should get rated and not excused because its day 1 release and thats the way it is, they chose this method so should perfect the method to consumers.

#23 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

"Ja, Sim City är väldigt bra. Vi börjar där." Talk about great intro to a review there. I wrote better intros in school essays.

#24 Edited by Abendlaender (2788 posts) -

Yes, I'm sure EA was just throwing money at such an influential website as Eurogamer Sweden...

#26 Posted by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -

No such thing as a perfect score.

#27 Posted by guanophobic (304 posts) -

Just read their grade policy, according to that, 10/10 = means they recommend it to everyone.

Not that it's the second coming of god.

#28 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

10/10 I haven't even had a second of gameplay after 3 hours...