#1 Edited by Edin899 (627 posts) -

I by no means have a great pc, it's a i3, 6gb of ram and a gt320, but i can run most games on atleast medium settings with some things turned up.

But this game? Jeez i know it's simulating alot of stuff in the background but cmon i can't even run it on Low settings without turning the lighting down to nothing, the game looks like shit without the lighting setting.

Is anybody else suprised by this? Man i just wasted 60 bucks on this game, want a refund so badly.

#2 Edited by expensiveham (291 posts) -

Disappointing to see the game so poorly when the cities are so small and so little actual simulations occur. I would have been just as upset as you are if i purchased it.

#3 Posted by Edin899 (627 posts) -

Yup, trying to get a refund, see what happens. Man i am kinda pissed off, the city size is so small, i completed a whole city in 2 hours of work,

What makes this game run so badly?

#4 Posted by Cameron (599 posts) -

As far as I can tell it is very processor intensive rather than graphics intensive. Either way, both of your parts aren't very good. I don't know which i3 you have, but a gt320 is an entry-level card that's not really meant for serious games. Not to defend Sim City, I don't think it's very good, but I'm not sure you can blame this particular problem on the game.

#5 Edited by expensiveham (291 posts) -

@cameron said:

As far as I can tell it is very processor intensive rather than graphics intensive. Either way, both of your parts aren't very good. I don't know which i3 you have, but a gt320 is an entry-level card that's not really meant for serious games. Not to defend Sim City, I don't think it's very good, but I'm not sure you can blame this particular problem on the game.

Even Jeff had framerate issues. And he is using an i5 processor and a 670 gfx. The game is poorly optimized and should run well even on OP's setup if Maxis did a better job.

#6 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@edin899 said:

I by no means have a great pc, it's a i3, 6gb of ram and a gt320, but i can run most games on atleast medium settings with some things turned up.

But this game? Jeez i know it's simulating alot of stuff in the background but cmon i can't even run it on Low settings without turning the lighting down to nothing, the game looks like shit without the lighting setting.

Is anybody else suprised by this? Man i just wasted 60 bucks on this game, want a refund so badly.

I have no performance issues at all, running most settings on high....

Running it on a 2012 MacBook Pro, 2.5ghz i5, 8gb RAM, Intel HD 4000.

#7 Posted by Cameron (599 posts) -

@cameron said:

Even Jeff had framerate issues. And he is using an i5 processor and a 670 gfx. The game is poorly optimized and should run well even on OP's setup if Maxis did a better job.

I have a similar setup to Jeff and I haven't experienced anything major, not saying he didn't, just that it's not a complete disaster where you can't get a decent framerate even with a good system. The OP's system barely meets the minimum specifications and the minimum specifications are usually the lowest you can have without the game refusing to start. I just really don't know what you expect when your system doesn't even come close to the recommended requirements.

#8 Posted by Edin899 (627 posts) -

@cameron:

I dont know, when i can run games like battlefield 3, mass effect 3, dead space, Batman arkham city, and many other on medium or high settings then i don´t know y i can barely run Sim City on low and it looks like shit, honestly, turn down lighting to medium and just look at the game, I don´t mind that i have to turn it to low, but does it have to look like a game from 2001? Compare that to battlefield 3 on low and it looks better then the xbox version.

#9 Posted by rethla (474 posts) -

@edin899 said:

@cameron:

I dont know, when i can run games like battlefield 3, mass effect 3, dead space, Batman arkham city, and many other on medium or high settings then i don´t know y i can barely run Sim City on low and it looks like shit, honestly, turn down lighting to medium and just look at the game, I don´t mind that i have to turn it to low, but does it have to look like a game from 2001? Compare that to battlefield 3 on low and it looks better then the xbox version.

It doesnt look like a game from 2001 the consolegames you mentioned however have dated graphics. With Jeffs setup you clearly shouldnt have any performance issues its probably a user error like always with GB crew and hardware. And like Cameron said you cant expect anything but low settings if you have min specs

#10 Edited by zFUBARz (627 posts) -

I'm running it pretty well on a tiny laptop, I've got i5 though, and it's only a few months old. The game is almost entirely processor from what I hear/see. what else do you have open eating up processor power?

#11 Posted by PhilipDuck (548 posts) -

Yeah it's all about that i3, go grab an i5 and that'll run it but tbh once you hit 500,000 population on the i5 it'll slow it down a bit. You can get a better video card for pretty cheap which would probably help for the lighting problem and running on low graphics.

#12 Posted by Edin899 (627 posts) -

Yeah it's all about that i3, go grab an i5 and that'll run it but tbh once you hit 500,000 population on the i5 it'll slow it down a bit. You can get a better video card for pretty cheap which would probably help for the lighting problem and running on low graphics.

Actually just sold my old pc,

Gonna be getting a intel i5 3470 3.6 ghz with a Radeon HD7870XT for 700 euro;s without a ssd drive

or a AMD Phenom 2 x4 3.4 ghz with a radeon HD7770 for 500 euros with a ssd drive

Anybody know if the lower spec pc is still good enough

#13 Posted by rethla (474 posts) -

It will run Simcity fine.

#14 Edited by Doobit (102 posts) -

it really is all about the cpu, at home on my i3 it's only just playable--but then I haven' even cracked 100k people yet. Here at work it's so smooth on the i7 even though the gpu is garbage.

Now to figure out how I can get more play time at work...

#15 Posted by McJackson (1 posts) -

I have an alright PC that I had gotten not too long ago and I have to say sim city is laggy. I run it with all high settings tbh BUT the lighting it probably the main reason of your lag. I run just fine with everything and the lighting at min but if I turn it to low I lag jut a bit more. And then I decide to move it up to medium and my screen is really blurry when moving and I get like 7 frames. Try turning down your lighting!! I am using an AMD FX -4130 quad core processor and not really the best graphics card with. My computer is running with 8gb of ram but I am telling you try turning down your lighting.