#1 Posted by TheCheese33 (336 posts) -

...is anyone playing?

I'd check YouTube for impressions, but all the videos are doubtlessly filled with the PewDiePies of the Internet fake-screaming their way through each chapter while making uncomfortable jokes about sexual abuse.

#2 Edited by awesomeusername (4060 posts) -

Nah.

#3 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

Fuck those people, not playing it and not awfully interested in it. Looks like a decently intriguing game but not one really for me. The game does not look super scary either, but that could just be me.

#4 Edited by Hailinel (22757 posts) -

I'll wait for the inevitable Patrick-led QL or Spookin' With Scoops.

#5 Edited by dgtlty (147 posts) -

I pre-ordered it for $5 and started playing it last night in the dark with headphones.

Five minutes in I yelped, ripped my headphones off and ran to the light switch in my house. Terrifying.

Can't wait to play the next five minutes tonight.

#6 Posted by ShaggE (6006 posts) -

I'm fucking desperate for some scares while I wait for Amnesia: A Machine for Moneyprinting, so yeah, going to pick this up and hope that it's effective.

#7 Edited by justjim89 (5 posts) -

This is easily the scariest game I've played this gen. Scarier than Amnesia, Cry of Fear, etc. Slender: The Eight Pages may have been an overly simple game that earned a bad reputation from Youtube screamers, but this game is legit. I'll likely do a full review for it upon completion, but suffice to say anyone who enjoys a legitimately unsettling game with a lot of tension needs to play this game. It's well made, it's beautiful, it encourages a lot of replay, and it's far more than a one trick pony. It's a short game, but $10 is hardly a large price to pay for this experience.

The 4th level of the game really really upset me. You're running through a house trying to lock all the windows and doors as the Slender Man watches and draws closer from the outside. Anyone with fears of home invasion will really have trouble with this part.

#8 Posted by Serpentenema (211 posts) -

I will wait for Supergreatfriend to eventually demo-friend it.

#9 Edited by TheCheese33 (336 posts) -

I've started playing a bit, and I'm on what appears to be level 2?

It's really nails the atmosphere in a way that the first never managed, but if each level is "collect x out of x" or "turn on x out of x" I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

#10 Posted by bartok (2371 posts) -

How did some silly Something Awful Photoshop thing become so fucking popular? I think I will wait until Zalgo gets turned into a game.

#11 Edited by Heltom92 (696 posts) -

I'm on the third chapter now (the one that Patrick attempted in Spookin) and for me it's getting to the point where it's more frustrating than scary.

My first time through I turned on all 6 generators, got on the lift and just pressed the button when one of those enemies came at from behind and killed me, making me restart the whole thing.

The next time after that I got to 3 generators and then suddenly Slenderman appears right in front of me, immediately ending the game and there was nothing i could of done about it.

I dunno if it's just me but this bit just seems to be about luck as to when/where the Proxy (the humanoid enemy) or Slenderman will show up.

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (13918 posts) -

This is easily the scariest game I've played this gen. Scarier than Amnesia, Cry of Fear, etc. Slender: The Eight Pages may have been an overly simple game that earned a bad reputation from Youtube screamers, but this game is legit. I'll likely do a full review for it upon completion, but suffice to say anyone who enjoys a legitimately unsettling game with a lot of tension needs to play this game. It's well made, it's beautiful, it encourages a lot of replay, and it's far more than a one trick pony. It's a short game, but $10 is hardly a large price to pay for this experience.

The 4th level of the game really really upset me. You're running through a house trying to lock all the windows and doors as the Slender Man watches and draws closer from the outside. Anyone with fears of home invasion will really have trouble with this part.

That sounds terrifying. O_O There was a sort of similar section in Cuthulu:Dark Corners of the earth where you were doing sort of the same thing that was easily one of the most nerve wracking parts of the game.

#13 Posted by jkz (3958 posts) -

Okay so none of the levels I've seen (1-3) seemed frightening to me in the slightest, but that right there sounds like it could get to me pretty good; just one of those things that makes me really uneasy. Maybe I have to buy this after all.

#14 Edited by Ghostiet (5153 posts) -

@bartok said:

How did some silly Something Awful Photoshop thing become so fucking popular? I think I will wait until Zalgo gets turned into a game.

Now I'm waiting too.