SNK pulling a reverse-Konami

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Just as Konami is getting into pachinko machines, SNK Playmore is getting out.

With games like King of Fighters XIV, SNK is looking to get back into dedicating their brand and old IPs to traditional video games. To further solidify that fact, they are going back to their old name and old logo from the 1990's.

Following the changes of market trends in recent years, SNK Playmore ended its pachi-slot activities from last autumn. On the eve of its 15th anniversary this August, SNK Playmore has decided to change its corporate logo and slogan in light of the restoration of its principal business as video games, ushering in a new era for the company. Through the huge success of many of its game franchises in the past, SNK is still a brand supported by countless fans from around the world to this day. The new logo and slogan chosen for this turning point, signifies both a return to the origins of SNK, and revival of our pioneer spirit to always offer long-time fans of SNK, as well as newcomers, entertainment of an even higher quality moving forward. Via this change, we will keep creating games and expand on our cherished IPs in the future.

The question is where they'll go with it. I see them either making games targeted at the ever growing base of nostalgic retro gamers, or they'll try to revitalize their brands by rebooting them as something new, like what Capcom did with Bionic Commando. Personally, I'm hoping for the former. SNK has some fantastic IPs like Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug and P.O.W Prisoner of War, from which coincidentally is where my avatar is from. Who doesn't want to be that cool guy again?

Congraturation SNK! Welcome back to Video Games
Congraturation SNK! Welcome back to Video Games

(Via GamesIndustry.biz)

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

THE FUTURE IS NOW MOTHERFUCKERS

Excited to see what comes of this. As much as I'm still not sold on KoF XIV's art direction, I'm still reasonably pumped for it. Hope there's more in store for them.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Capcom vs SNK 3 plz

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You mean new King of Monsters plz

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, new King of Fighters gives as all the things you'd want from a fighting game at launch and does not just try and survive on brand name, like some other fighting games do.

Physical release as well! Fingers crossed for full color manual!

Loading Video...

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

WOOO!!!

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummytreesap: I would have loved for sprites as well, but realize just how expensive that is to do today. They've come a long way with improved textures and shaders, since that first trailer, though.

No Caption Provided

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

speaking as a devoted SNK fan..... they kinda are getting their act together recently. KoF14 isn't exactly the worst 3D fighting game.... that would be Samurai Showdown 64. There was even that point where in the PS2 era they tried making a 3D 3rd person action Metal Slug game.

No Caption Provided

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they got scared of the pachinko juggernaut that is Konami and decided to cash out? After all, how the hell are you going to compete with Big Boss and Dracula?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@darkbeatdk: I... I think I like the older picture better.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't imagine they'll do anything but aim at the nostalgia/old school market. What possible cachet do their IPs have in 2016 outside of that market? That doesn't mean they won't make new games (a la the new KOF) but the new games will be strongly tied to the style and play of their old hits.

Old B-tier IP (and I don't think SNK has any A-tier IP) isn't really that valuable outside of the nostalgia market. What would it mean for SNK to make a "modern" P.O.W. (as opposed to a modern retro game like Bionic Commando Rearmed)? It would just be a new game with an old name slapped on it. Fighting games are relatively simple, you just make a new game that plays somewhat like the old ones but with improved mechanics, graphics, and online play, and I'd imagine that's where the new SNK will focus.

If you want a fresh modern take on Sengoku you will be disappointed, but on the plus side you don't exist, so it shouldn't hurt too bad.

Personally I am pretty excited. I would love another good Neo Geo compilation with some deeper cuts, and the new KOF looks cool. A GOOD new Samurai Shodown would be welcome, as would their other fighting franchises. Of course fighting games are not the market they once were so if they want to release more than one game a year they'll have to do something else, but I don't see why they can't make new downloadable versions of their other franchises. It's not like modern consoles are overflowing with Shmups, beat-em-ups, or platformers.

Oh, and NOBODY wants to see a polygonal Metal Slug. That series was about the amazingly fluid animation. If that's too expensive these days that's fine, leave it where it lies. Release another compilation.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally, a chance for Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf 2!

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

Finally, a chance for Lee Trevino's Fighting Golf 2!

I looked that up after seeing this and was SORELY disappointed to see there is no actual fighting. The golf world needs its very own Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Oh, and NOBODY wants to see a polygonal Metal Slug. That series was about the amazingly fluid animation. If that's too expensive these days that's fine, leave it where it lies. Release another compilation.

I would really love to see some of the more stylish indie studios get a shot at the license, not polygonal of course but someone with awesome 2d animation skills like Lab Zero Games or The Behemoth.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i only care about metal slug and king of the monsters from snk anything else is meh to me so if they make more of thosse i'll be happy other wuse MEH

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katpottz: They should hire the guy who did Scott Pilgrim and Mercenary Kings to do Metal Slug. Man how I wished Mercenary Kings was good...

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

This makes me wonder if Konami will be back at some point.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dinosaurcanada: If the NPA ever cracks down on the Yakuza pachinko fronts and they need to liquidate their assets again, I'm sure they'll return to video games :D

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: The top picture is the one I like more because it looks like it's going for a certain style.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deepcovergecko
crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@crithon: KOF isn't 3D though!

that's not the point I was trying to say because it's been close to 20 years since SNK has attempted 3D graphics since Samurai Showdown 64. And as a fan of the series, I don't think 14 looks as bad as those early periods even up to the PS2 era when they had Maximum Impact series.