SOMA ARG Update No 5. THE MOTHERLOAD (12 mins + date)

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all, I have no idea why I haven't seen this mentioned outside of one or two websites, but SOMA had itself a little ARG, that mainly involved inputting commands into a console and uncovering stuff.

Main things that were discovered were links to Youtube videos uploaded by FrictionalGames that were set to not show up in searches or upload history. Here's probably the most significant one of them:

Now we're waiting on a countdown, which, to our dismay/annoyance, suddenly jumped up by 2 hours when there were only 15 minutes left.

Here's a link to the thing itself:http://somagame.com/YuXIm5/pathos2_cnsl/

Forgot to link this. It's a pastebin of all the pertinent info so far: http://pastebin.com/X0GivsGP

Edit: Countdown going down led to next step of ARG. People frantically trying to guess password to the new 'ireed' account that popped up.

Edit 2: We got the password. Now enough people need to do a simple grid puzzle to get to whatever next stage there is. If you want to help out, here's a little guide I made. Deleted the pic, that part of the ARG is done.

Edit 3: Got past the pipe puzzle, but there's another 2 day countdown. We did get a new video clip, most likely part from the short movie tied to the game to be released in about a week.

Edit 4: Some keen guy has noticed that one of the videos that was previously nonsense has been sneakily reuploaded to be an actual clip.

Edit 5: Thanks to the stubbornness of /v/ and the FrictionalGames forums, we finally go to what is probably the end of this.

We got the video, after a crapton of false starts and being stuck on a single point for literally hours. No matter what you hear otherwise, it is these two communities that dug this up and stuck with this ARG all the way through.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just going to self-bump this once, because we did get a new clip that is worth a watch if you're interested in the game.

Loading Video...

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Atwa

So the movie Depth is confirmed to be a prequel to the game.

I just hope this ARG wasn't just for clips of the movie. Still, I am super excited for the game. All the videos released have been super intriguing.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey all, got a brand new update and unlisted video here. Turns out that a video that was previously garbled nonsense is now instead this. In it, we see Golaski having some kind of major breakdown.

Loading Video...

HappyCheeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Holy crap this is exciting. This is bringing me back to doing the Year Zero ARG. Anyone notice the animated letters on the various "files" pages? So far I've got s,a,i,w,h,t,a,h,p,a

Maybe it says "whats happening?"

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@happycheeze: That was step one of the ARG. It gave us the password for the admin account, which was 'whatisalpha'. If you watch structuregel.vid, you'll see random letters. Very likely it has something to do with the next password that will be required. If you want to join the active discussion of this ARG, go on /v/. It is literally the only location where stuff is really happening. I'm just dumping updates here for prosperities sake (Edit: And to also let people know what's happening. I know that some might have aversions to being on /v/). Also to spread the word. We need manpower for parts of this.

The next major burst of activity will be in about two days from now, when the timer runs down.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man I forgot all about this game. So excited to go down the rabbit hole of what i've missed since those first couple videos.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am super excited for this game

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

What the fuck is this game even? LOL

I'm ready to play it...whatever the hell it's supposed to be.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#10  Edited By donutfever

Put in the login from the pic in the OP, didn't work. Are the passwords different today?

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donutfever: Sorry, I forgot to mention that, the full string you should input is "login ireed yuLRzzz", without the quotes obviously. If you get a connection error, just retry. The pipe minigame is done for now.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, here's an incentive for you all to do whatever the next thing is: some lucky people have been receiving Steam codes when they complete their task.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donutfever: SOMA. They aren't actual Steam codes, but they are codes you'll be able to redeem (presumably through the website) for a Steam code. I also updated my original comment with a link to the pastebin that has all the relevant info on stuff done so far.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Interesting stuff here.

AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey all, know that there has been no update for quite a while, but the last few days have been filled with a lot of frustrating walls that we just couldn't get past.

But we did it. Here it is. 12 minute gameplay trailer of SOMA with release date at the end.

No matter what the net tells you in the next few hours onwards, the ones responsible for digging this up are /v/ of 4chan and the Frictional Game Forums, and these are the communities that stuck with this ARG to the end. There may be more to uncover, but for now, here's the video.

Loading Video...

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

12 MINUTE?
WOW

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those who haven't watched it yet: It's not super spoiler-y, but if you've already decided you wanna play it, I'd advise just skipping it.

That release date's a little later than I would have thought, but I don't care. If it's as good as I think it will be they can take as much time as they want.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I wasn't really into Amnesia because I'm not into that setting and I just thought it was a lame idea. The fact that you couldn't fight back was exactly what made the game not scary or interesting to me. Being able to meekly fight or somehow engage with an imposing enemy is tense and interesting but facing a walking insta-death at all times was just boring to me.

SOMA strikes that Dead Space vibe in me though. I love sci-fi and the premise seems so incredibly messed up that I'm super intrigued by it all.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#19 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I don't know that I will ever be able to bring myself to play SOMA, but I will gladly watch one Patrick Klepek play it.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I wasn't really into Amnesia because I'm not into that setting and I just thought it was a lame idea. The fact that you couldn't fight back was exactly what made the game not scary or interesting to me. Being able to meekly fight or somehow engage with an imposing enemy is tense and interesting but facing a walking insta-death at all times was just boring to me.

SOMA strikes that Dead Space vibe in me though. I love sci-fi and the premise seems so incredibly messed up that I'm super intrigued by it all.

This is basically where I stand. I hate stealth based horror games, since they more often than not devolve into trial and error, which completely kills any sense of horror. But there's something about the setting, and more importantly the mystery of what is going on, that really intrigues me. I won't play something like Alien Isolation because the gameplay just aggravates me to no end and I already know what's going on (it's xenomorphs, big surprise).

With Soma, I'm hoping the urge to figure out and experience the mystery of the setting motivates me to play through it, cause the stealth doesn't look any more mechanically interesting than Amnesia.