Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By flippyandnod

Got the game 12/13/2013.

Beat Olmec (finally) today.

After a lot of time spent playing. Like 30 minutes a day several times a week.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By captain_max707

Congrats! I got back into Spelunky when Giant Bomb got the spelunkin' bug a while back. I definitely had to put in a lot of time before I beat Olmec. Good stuff.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had barely started to play when Patrick started up.

Thanks for the reply.

I feel like I'm a lousy player given it took me this long. But I've done all kinds of side stuff along the way (although no other endings) so I've got some skills I guess.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Congrats! He's quite a bitch, but eventually you'll have him down so much, you'll start thinking about Hell :)

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I think I was at around 1200 deaths before my first time beating him. Then I was around maybe 1500 when I beat the other ending. Once I did that I was basically able to beat Olmec on one in five runs. I'm out of practice now though, so I have trouble through the jungle again, which is the hardest part. Still haven't done the speed run though.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The real Demon's Souls Spelunky starts here.

Hat's off to you!

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 1850 deaths. To be honest, I wasn't serious enough about the game at the start.

I should go to the shortcuts (which I opened long ago) and practice the 2nd dungeons some. That's where I'm getting wasted badly now. Trying to avoid the mummys and Anubis is a lot of work for me.

I played once more since winning, got to the dungeons 2nd time and then that green dude telefragged me. Just when I figured I had died every way possible.

I think I was at around 1200 deaths before my first time beating him. Then I was around maybe 1500 when I beat the other ending. Once I did that I was basically able to beat Olmec on one in five runs. I'm out of practice now though, so I have trouble through the jungle again, which is the hardest part. Still haven't done the speed run though.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Congrats, that's a hard game. I never managed to get to Hell; you seem like the persistent type that'll eventually make it though.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Out of curiosity, did you use shortcuts? I remember spending most of my early Spelunky days with that gold key challenge. Once I had that, I had Olmec in a couple days.

I put the game down, then started dailies once the Vita version hit.

Don't. Fall. In. The daily hole.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 1850 deaths. To be honest, I wasn't serious enough about the game at the start.

I should go to the shortcuts (which I opened long ago) and practice the 2nd dungeons some. That's where I'm getting wasted badly now. Trying to avoid the mummys and Anubis is a lot of work for me.

I played once more since winning, got to the dungeons 2nd time and then that green dude telefragged me. Just when I figured I had died every way possible.

@mosespippy said:

I always found the shortcuts absolutely useless, save maybe for practicing for 0 money or speedlunky runs.

I'd rather just play through the caves and get to go to the black market then start at temple with 4 bombs and ropes.

oldjack327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Congrats. Beating Spelunky isn't an easy thing to do!

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did to practice the later levels. I'd say I spent the first 25% of my time from the start trying to open the shortcuts. Then I spent 25% of my time using the shortcuts thinking it was a way to get better at the later levels which I rarely reached. Since then I've never used them, including to beat Olmec today.

I discovered that trying to play the dungeons or Olmec starting from the shortcut was useless because you didn't have any items (compass, bombs, paste, etc.) to use and getting past the mummies, anubis and Olmec with no items was near impossible. And even if I did do it, it wasn't how you'd do it in a real run anyway.

I've been playing almost daily for about 2 months now. I played almost 2 months of dailies before and then quit because I was kind of afraid I'd wear out my Vita I was playing so much! After a while I just figured that if it died playing Spelunky that was just was what it was born to do.

Oddly, I didn't find getting that gold key to level 12 to be all that hard. It only took me a few tries. I figure I partially just got lucky, no idea how much trouble I'd have doing it again.

I should mention I haven't watched videos specifically to get me tips except for one on how to kill shopkeepers. I avoid the later Scoops ones where he goes to hell, or the worm or such. I got the worm to open once by chance and haven't figured out how to do it again. And please don't tell me how.

I did get the ankh special once by chance, but I messed it up, I went right back into the mouth after I came out and so didn't see anything new! I figured out how I did it, so I know I can do it again, but have avoided it. I'll look at trying the side missions soon.

@csl316 said:

Out of curiosity, did you use shortcuts? I remember spending most of my early Spelunky days with that gold key challenge. Once I had that, I had Olmec in a couple days.

I put the game down, then started dailies once the Vita version hit.

Don't. Fall. In. The daily hole.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@mosespippy said:

The first time I got telefragged was well after I had beaten hell. I had moved on to practicing getting the plasma cannon from the alien mothership because I was ghost mining to get high scores on the dailies. Got the cannon, had 17 HP entered the temple, an arrow trap somewhere triggered the dude and he fragged me where I spawned.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I have been playing Spelunky for roughly a year and have never made it to Olmec. Not even close. But I still love Spelunky!!

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I beat him again today! About 2250 deaths and two wins so far.

I made a new year's resolution to beat Olmec in every month of this year. Pretty aggressive for a guy who had only beaten him once in 13 months and took 11 to do it the first time!

If I ever manage to get good enough that I find it easy to beat him maybe I'll move onto some of the other challenges.