#1 Posted by sometimesavowel (122 posts) -

It's been out for 3 days, there's been a lot of hype surrounding it, it's even on the front end-caps at Target - but there's nary a review to be found.

Combining logic with Internet research (mainly, the Giant Bomb Quick Look) I have been able to infer that well, frankly, the game is shit. Not to be confused with THE shit of the positive connotation, but more like a steaming pile of turd matter. The plan seems to be to let the Star Trek name move units, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the plan all along.

#2 Edited by NTM (7519 posts) -

Actually, there are reviews for it, and it got bad scores. The reason there aren't more reviews is because people weren't sent copies, so reviewers had to buy it themselves, which is never a good sign.

#4 Posted by Tajasaurus (935 posts) -

I don't know. I'm a few missions in to it and it doesn't seem THAT bad. It is just a co-op shooter, but I don't think it's as terrible as everyone is making it out to be.

But I also played through the entirety of The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, so maybe I can just put up with a lot of garbage.

#5 Posted by Pudge (910 posts) -

Also, there was hype?

DUDE! Didn't you read his post? This shit was advertised at Target son, that's HYPE CENTRAL! Gamers be straight ballin over in the Target electronics section!

#6 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

They didn't send out review copies apparently. Also there was no hype.

#7 Edited by MonkeysDad (63 posts) -

Looks like the PR's for the game were trying to jack up the user score on Metacritic, while one of the producers has been caught claiming the game's less-than-totally-broken on the PC: Whoops.

#8 Edited by Ghost_Cat (1467 posts) -

Boned in or out?

#9 Posted by Metal_Mills (3033 posts) -

They don't care about reviews or hype. They care about the kids and teens who'll see the new Star Trek movie, get psyched and then see that cover at their local game store and buy it on impulse.

#10 Edited by ModernAlkemie (368 posts) -

If it's at the front of big toy retailers then I'd say it is meeting Paramount's goals for the game. Namely getting kids walking into the store with their parents to go "OH MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY!!! IT'S A GAME WITH THE SPACE MAN WHICH WHAT I LIKE!!! BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!!!!!"

#11 Posted by TwoLines (2826 posts) -

#TeamBoneless

#12 Edited by h0lgr (911 posts) -

I wouldn't classify it as "hype" if companies spread around posters and shit. Real hype comes from consumers. Anyway, the only reason places like Target give a shit is because it carries the Star Trek name. People recognize it.

#13 Edited by donfonzie (206 posts) -
Definitely boned.

It's pretty buggy. (or someones ultimate fan fiction)

#14 Edited by fox01313 (5088 posts) -
#15 Posted by Fattony12000 (7594 posts) -

#16 Posted by PhilipDuck (567 posts) -

Never expected it to be more than what we got...

#17 Edited by Sterling (2597 posts) -

2014's 2013 game of the year!

#18 Posted by thekitkatshuffler (65 posts) -

As someone who has £100 of GAME vouchers left to spend, this thread title upsets me greatly.

#19 Posted by ShaggE (6632 posts) -

This is the only game what has Spock Lock functionality, so it can't be THAT bad.

#20 Posted by The_Nubster (2319 posts) -
#21 Edited by fox01313 (5088 posts) -

@the_nubster: As a student of game design I wind up playing a ton of bad games to find out what ideas worked well & what went hideously wrong. Also as a Star Trek fan, as mixed as I still am on the reboot, there's not enough Star Trek games coming out so part of me is looking forward to playing it, just have my expectations somewhere in the middle & not expecting a great game.

#22 Posted by sometimesavowel (122 posts) -

I would have followed up on this thread earlier, but I had hit my posting limit by 3 AM.

Pertaining to @Pudge's comment, it's important to note that the front endcaps are paid spots. Publishers bid on them to put their games to make sure they are front-and-center. When I say the Star Trek game is there, I mean it took money to make that happen.

I guess I also define the term "hype" rather loosely. This is something that got announced a couple of years ago, and while it's been mostly quiet with sporatic updates there was a last-minute marketing push and we are certainly aware that it came out - even if it did sneak up on

some of us.

#23 Posted by zenmastah (974 posts) -

Such a shame, the co-op seems to be broken on PC and the AI does not work properly if you want to play it by yourself.

Definetly not worth the full prize at the moment.