#1 Edited by Whiskeyjack (110 posts) -

'Star Wars' TV massacre! Lucasfilm cancels 'Clone Wars,' indefinitely postpones 'Detours'

Although these announcements only refer to Lucasfilm animation projects, the news doesn’t bode well for fans who were excited about the live-action crime-themed TV show Star Wars: Underworld or the bleak-looking videogame Star Wars 1313. It feels like Lucasfilm is closing the book on all those projects, and on the whole post-2005 era of long-rumored, intriguing-sounding spin-offs. Goodbye, Deadwood in Space.

#2 Posted by TheHT (11389 posts) -

From what I've heard, Clone Wars has gotten to be the best thing to come out of the prequel trilogy. Bummer.

#3 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

I'm looking forward to the minimum 5 confirmed new Star Wars movies Disney has planned for us. They want to start relatively fresh, I get it.

#4 Edited by mrfluke (5200 posts) -

wow they actually canceled clone wars? that show apparently got really good, i imagine cartoon network is toast now.

#5 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3862 posts) -

Fuck that. Give me 1313! Criminal underworld Star Wars is long overdue.

#6 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I guess Star Wars 1313 can't be turned into a ride?!

#7 Posted by Nictel (2422 posts) -

I said this before, 1313 doesn't fit with Disney. I would be surprised if it would come out.

#8 Posted by Winternet (8021 posts) -

I fail to see the connection.

#9 Edited by xyzygy (10008 posts) -

@winternet said:

This. 1313 still looks like it could be a huge thing for Disney. I don't know why they would cancel it, develop would be at LEAST a year in and why waste all that time? I imagine the game is more than halfway done now.

I can see why they would cancel TCW, because it was a series based off of Star Wars under previous ownership.

#10 Posted by FFFFFFF (75 posts) -

The last rumor I remember reading about 1313 was that it was indefinitely postponed.

I guess all we can do is wait and see if it shows up at E3 or not.

#11 Posted by Yummylee (21794 posts) -
@theht said:

From what I've heard, Clone Wars has gotten to be the best thing to come out of the prequel trilogy. Bummer.

It really was surprisingly well done! I watched through the first two seasons (which was so I could some frame of reference for what was happening in Lego Star Wars III...), and it's undoubtedly some of the best Star Wars storytelling in a while. The episodes that would focus purely on individual clone troopers were some of the best.

#12 Posted by altairre (1199 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

wow they actually canceled clone wars? that show apparently got really good, i imagine cartoon network is toast now.

It was indeed a really awesome show and the best thing that's come out of Star Wars since for ever. Funnily enough there is acutally a fairly recent episode that plays on 1313. I still hope that they release this game somehow.

#13 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3862 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@winternet said:

This. 1313 still looks like it could be a huge thing for Disney. I don't know why they would cancel it, develop would be at LEAST a year in and why waste all that time? I imagine the game is more than halfway done now.

I can see why they would cancel TCW, because it was a series based off of Star Wars under previous ownership.

It's apparently not being developed right now so hey that's probably a bad sign.

I do think it's a no brainier so I don't get it. Look at how that kind of TPS game can sell, add Star Wars? A criminal Star Wars at that? Seems like a no brainier.

Force Unleashed sold 7 million damn copies.

#14 Posted by NegativeCero (3005 posts) -

That's a shame. As someone who doesn't care much about Star Wars, I enjoyed the Clone Wars I watched.

#15 Posted by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

There's a huge difference between a game being developed in house and a tv show that is being broadcast on a rival network. I think once disney bought Star Wars, everyone knew this season of Clone wars would be the last.

That said, Disney seems to be trying to get out of the big budget video game business, so really no surprise that they would cancel the game. Not to mention the The Old Republic disaster.

#16 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

Disney did the same thing to the Super Hero Squad show and games and to the Spectacular Spider-man show after buying Marvel. Disney has a habit of rebooting everything and making it their own after they buy something. I wouldn't be surprised (just bummed) if 1313 never gets released.

#17 Edited by Chaser324 (6589 posts) -

The Disney executives seem to have a clear vision of what they want for the future of the Star Wars brand, and I suspect that axing 1313 and Clone Wars may have been done to try to align things with their vision of the future and help bring some consistency to that brand.

Don't worry though, I'm sure there will be more than enough licensed games, shows, and merchandise arriving alongside the new films.

#18 Posted by MocBucket62 (1234 posts) -

If 1313 gets cancelled than that would be some of the most disappointing news this year. That E3 footage looked incredible and Disney better not cancel this project!

As for the Clone Wars series, that stinks that it was cancelled. I watched one episode of it one time when flipping through channels and enjoyed it.

#19 Posted by Animasta (14698 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

uh... why would it be? Adventure time is popular enough to have comic books so I hardly doubt they're hurting that badly.

#20 Edited by mrfluke (5200 posts) -

@animasta said:

@mrfluke said:

uh... why would it be? Adventure time is popular enough to have comic books so I hardly doubt they're hurting that badly.

you're right, i forgot that they still have adventure time and that is huge for them (last thing i paid attention to cartoon network was the toonami reboot they did last year),

but like they canceled that thundercats reboot they were doing , they are canceling young justice, some green lantern show that they were apparently running and then this clone wars show, id have to imagine they need at least 2 more adventure time level shows to stay properly afloat,

that or give the new toonami/adultswim an actual budget to get a better schedule of shows or get the licenses to bring back some classics.

#21 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I'm still all about Genndy Clone Wars.

#22 Edited by TheHT (11389 posts) -

I'm still all about Genndy Clone Wars.

I can say, without having watched the 3D Clone Wars mind you, that Genndy's Clone Wars is my favourite Star Wars thing to come out of the prequels.

Grievous was genuinely menacing in it, and it only made Windu that much more bad ass when he was with all 4 sabers out right off the bat (only to still getting fucking wrecked by Windu). God, I'm gonna go watch that again.

#23 Posted by endaround (2146 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@winternet said:

Disney looks to be dumping everything that doesn't tie into the new movies. This includes a spoof by the Robot Chicken crew. My guess is 1313 is dead.

#24 Posted by Nightriff (5101 posts) -

Getting rid of everything Lucas did and/or was involved in?

#25 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1838 posts) -

@artisanbreads said:

@xyzygy said:

@winternet said:

It's apparently not being developed right now so hey that's probably a bad sign.

I do think it's a no brainier so I don't get it. Look at how that kind of TPS game can sell, add Star Wars? A criminal Star Wars at that? Seems like a no brainier.

Force Unleashed sold 7 million damn copies.

the way they tied in was that when they showed off the first trailer for season 5 they talked all about how they're going to 1313 in an episode to tie in with the game.

And i guess therye gonna do a tv movie or something with order 66 to cap off the show http://starwars.com/news/a-new-direction-for-lucasfilm-animation.html

#26 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1838 posts) -

Its also a pretty big bummer that they brought back darth maul and now well probably never know what happens to him

#27 Posted by endaround (2146 posts) -
#28 Edited by RollingZeppelin (2002 posts) -

meh, haven't cared about Star Wars since KOTOR 2.

#29 Posted by SMTDante89 (2582 posts) -

Haven't really been following Clone Wars as of late, but it was a really great show when I actually caught it on the television. Really sad to see it go, and I was kind of looking forward to 1313, but I'll wait for a more official confirmation on that one.

#30 Edited by Falconer (1691 posts) -

I think this says more about Cartoon Network than anything else. They've also canceled Young Justice and Green Lantern: TAS. They finally find some good shows again, and immediately cancel them. (To be fair, Clone Wars has been around for a while, but you get my point.)

The cycle must continue.

#31 Edited by CornBREDX (5396 posts) -

Personally, this does not bum me out. Clone Wars was garbage (my opinion, relax, it's not fact).

Although that is kind of a shame about Star Wars 1313 (potentially). Seemed like they are on track to something interesting with that. I suspect though they need to retool. I mean, it's not like Lucasarts is making money at the moment. It might be more beneficial. Maybe they can come back to it. I don't know how far into development they even are.

Would be awesome, though, if it does end up making it out of the gate and is the most amazing game they've released in over a decade.

#32 Edited by endaround (2146 posts) -

@falconer said:

I think this says more about Cartoon Network than anything else. They've also canceled Young Justice and Green Lantern: TAS. They finally find some good shows again, and immediately cancel them. (To be fair, Clone Wars has been around for a while, but you get my point.)

The cycle must continue.

Nope this is Disney/Lucas pulling the plug. Those others were pulled because they weren't moving toys. WB doesn't care about toy sales for Star Wars properties.

#34 Posted by Hunkulese (2749 posts) -

I'm still not sure why everyone is excited about 1313. It looked like a pretty generic 3rd person shooter albeit shiny.

#35 Posted by MachoFantastico (4719 posts) -

Don't mind admitting that I was a fan of Clone Wars, for what it was worth. Far from perfect but still pretty much the only positive thing to come out of the prequel crap and the last few seasons have made for enjoyable viewing. That said, I'm not shocked. I do think people are going to be a little shocked by Disney's handling of Star Wars, not as rose tinted as some think.

#36 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I think it's worth mentioning that they originally said that the Clone Wars would run for 5 seasons. Continuing a series based on a war that supposedly only lasted for 2 years would have started to get pretty silly. It was a genuinely good show, but it needed to end.

And if Disney want to bring some consistency to the franchise, I'm all for it. Star Wars products range from being super "dark and gritty" to having weird, comedy dance numbers in videogames. It's a mess and arguably one of the worst franchises in existence, despite the things about it that are good.

With all the prequel and EU crap everywhere, I'm really not surprised Disney wants people to forget about everything for a while. Leave everything Star Wars alone for a while and only bring it back when they're ready to release Episode VII, making a clear divide between old Star Wars and this new Star Wars.

#37 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -