What are the chances of this coming to the PC?

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

With the recent waves of LucasArts games coming out on GOG, I've been kindling a hope that this might make its way to the PC, too. Would it take an inordinate amount of work to port this over from the GameCube?

(On a side note, is the first game worth getting? Looking at some videos, and the screens on GOG, it doesn't look like there are space battles in it, which puts me off a bit.)

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ezekiel

GOG gets updated versions of PC games. A console port is something completely different. I doubt Rogue Squadron II and III will ever be ported. But maybe Star Wars: Battlefront will be a better flying game.

I think the first game has better levels because they're original. The second game has a lot of areas from the movies that aren't as interesting in a game. The level design, I mean. Correct, there are no space battles, except for a zigzagging Death Star trench run, a bonus level.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3 chaser324  Moderator

I'd say the odds are pretty damn low. I'm not sure I can recall any console exclusives as old as this ever getting a PC port.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Zero to none unfortunately. I heard you can play it with Dolphin and I would love to, but Dolphin seems a bit complicated for me to get up and running.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Never ever ever. Not ever.

GameCube => PC porting is as straightforward as an upside down dog in a mirror maze. If they were gonna do the work, they would have done it years ago. Dolphin is worth trying I think.

A shame though. Definitely one of my games of that generation.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zero to none unfortunately. I heard you can play it with Dolphin and I would love to, but Dolphin seems a bit complicated for me to get up and running.

I've tried it with Dolphin, but never got it to run well.

Oh well, maybe Nintendo will get around to bringing out GameCube games on the Wii U (or whatever they've got in the works), and maybe Disney will take an interest then.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a_e_martin said:

@bonorbitz said:

I've tried it with Dolphin, but never got it to run well.

Oh well, maybe Nintendo will get around to bringing out GameCube games on the Wii U (or whatever they've got in the works), and maybe Disney will take an interest then.

You might wanna take another crack at it. In the past week or two, I saw someone post somewhere that there was an update and it's working now or something to that effect on Dolphin...? Unfortunately, I can't remember where I saw the post, but I think it was either on this site or on GOG.com regarding their Star Wars rereleases.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By a_e_martin

@bonorbitz: Oh wow, I just found what you were talking about. Found some recent videos too. Looks great!

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crap, I'm playing it now and it runs like butter!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Gamecube games coming to PC is a pipe dream, unfortunately.

But thanks for reminding me that I own this!

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

(On a side note, is the first game worth getting? Looking at some videos, and the screens on GOG, it doesn't look like there are space battles in it, which puts me off a bit.)

If you want space battles, then I've got the game for you...

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevin_cogneto: Oh, I'll get around to that one of these days. I was really into X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter back in the day.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@a_e_martin: Then you'll probably love Tie Fighter because it's a much better game.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@csl316 said:

They ported the Gamecube version of Resident Evil over, so I mean, it's not impossible, but yeah, it won't happen.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@alexw00d said:

@csl316 said:

They ported the Gamecube version of Resident Evil over, so I mean, it's not impossible, but yeah, it won't happen.

Well, once they announced a remaster on modern consoles, not seeing it on PC would be a shock.

But straight up Gamecube ports, non-remastered and just rereleased? I'm honestly having a hard time coming up with anything else. It would be neat to see, of course, but the existence of the Virtual Console probably keeps them from doing it. VC is just another thing to help sell hardware. Hell, the Earthbound rerelease had people talk up buying a Wii U.

Come to think of it, have there ever been first-party Nintendo games released on any other platforms?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a_e_martin: That looks spectacular! And to think that's a launch game from 2001. I'm floored by those videos and am seriously considering looking further in to this Dolphin thing just for this game!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c221c2ee2b7c
deactivated-5c221c2ee2b7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will never happen.

Factor 5 no longer exists. To rub some salt into the wound, they actually had a finished port for the Wii (including RS3, with a lot of things reworked), but couldn't get it released before the company shut down.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

100% as long as Dolphin exists.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Evilsbane

I am having a ton of fun playing Rogue Squadron I have been trying to play it on emulators forever since I no longer have a working N64 and I have huge nostalgia goggles for it, its old and simple but I still love playing it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@csl316: I don't think so, which is a shame, they'd sell so many copies if they ported their shit to PC.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@ezekiel said:

Doing anything special with your setup? I have the game running but having a hard time maintaining a smooth FPS and its causing weird laggy sound, its playable but annoying.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ezekiel

@evilsbane said:

@ezekiel said:

Doing anything special with your setup? I have the game running but having a hard time maintaining a smooth FPS and its causing weird laggy sound, its playable but annoying.

I downloaded the latest development version and changed the sound to "LLE recompiler". Under graphics hacks, I unchecked "Fast Depth Calculation". It sometimes slows down, but compared to how it was before it's fantastic. I'm playing with 2.5 times native resolution and 4 times AA. Sadly, V sync kills my framerate.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a_e_martin: Then you'll probably love Tie Fighter because it's a much better game.

Sweet! Any idea if the Windows version works with a 360 controller?

@csl316 said:

Come to think of it, have there ever been first-party Nintendo games released on any other platforms?

Isn't this technically a third-party game though, since it wasn't published by Nintendo?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c221c2ee2b7c
deactivated-5c221c2ee2b7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a_e_martin said:

Isn't this technically a third-party game though, since it wasn't published by Nintendo?

It is. Factor 5 was never part of Nintendo (or LucasArts, for that matter), despite being quite heavily involved with them for a period (they were part of the hardware design team for the Gamecube).

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#26 fisk0  Moderator

@a_e_martin: When it comes to the first game, it doesn't have space battles, but it's a pretty decent Star Wars take on something like Terminal Velocity, and the GOG version is preconfigured to work perfectly with the 360 controller. Some of the art holds up alright for a 3D game of that era too.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I would love a PC version of all the Rogue Squadron games, but I'm pretty sure we'll never see it.