Big thanks to MacEG for the awesome banner!
Hello and welcome to the very first Giant Bomb Starcraft II Heart of the Swarm Community Tournament!
This tournament is open to all players regardless of skill level. You're also welcome to come observe games if you don't feel like playing.
A group stage will precede the bracket. Players will play against people in their own group and the players with the most wins will advance to the bracket stage. The size of the groups will probably lie between 6 and 8 players per group, which means everyone will get to play a minimum of at least 5-7 matches.
The number of groups and number of people who get to advance to the bracket stage is very dependent on the number of participants and will be determined by me before the tournament once I get an idea of how many people will participate.
We've decided to make this change to make sure people get to play more games against one another. We hope you will enjoy it.
All matches in the group stage will be played as a best-of-1.
The bracket stage will be played as a single elimination bracket.
Quarter finals (and any matches before) are best-of-1.
Semi-Finals are best-of-3.
The Finals are best-of-5.
Changes to this format may occur in tournaments after this one, depending on what I, my fellow organizers and you, the players, think works best and is the most fun.
- No use of hacks or exploits is allowed.
- If a player drops from a match, you can restart from a replay.
- Please only spectate other people's games if you're eliminated from the tournament or are waiting for your match. Due to the nature of a group stage, it's important everyone plays their games as soon as possible in order to prevent holding up the rest of the tournament.
- Please be courteous enough to leave other people's games if you're lagging while spectating. (General rule is that you should leave if it happens more than once)
- Akilon Wastes LE (Ladder edition)
- Bel'shir Vestige LE
- Daybreak LE
- Neo Planet S LE
- Newkirk Precinct LE
- Star Station LE
- Whirlwind LE
In the group stages players will play on a pre-determined map. I used random.org to randomize the maps.
- Group stage game 1 map: Akilon Wastes LE
- Group stage game 2 map: Star Station LE
- Group stage game 3 map: Bel'shir Vestige LE
- Group stage game 4 map: Newkirk Precinct LE
- Group stage game 5 map: Daybreak LE
- Group stage game 6 map: Neo Planet S LE
- Group stage game 7 map: Whirlwind LE
- (optional)Group stage game 8 map: Akilon Wastes LE
The bracket stage will use the following maps:
- Round of 16: Neo Planet S LE
- Round of 8: Star Station LE
- Semi-Finals: Akilon Wastes LE
- Finals: Daybreak LE
In the Semi-Finals and Finals after the first game, the loser may pick a map from the map pool.
Sign-ups are now live. Sign up here: http://binarybeast.com/xHotS130310126
The official sign-ups will be done on the day of the tournament itself. I will post a link to the sign-up page in this thread and in this post when that time has come. We'll be using Binary Beast to organize the tournament. Please prepare a personal account there so you're ready to quickly sign up once you're able to. (It's free!)
Please let me know in the thread if you're willing to participate so I get an idea of how many players will show up. (Remember, posting in the thread does not automatically sign you up for the tournament. See above.)
When and Where:
The tournament will start on Saturday, March 23rd 19:00 GMT, 20:00 CET, 14:00 EDT, 14:00 CDT, 12:00 PDT (Check your timezone here)
Please make sure you sign-up before that time, otherwise you won't be able to participate.
When you log in to Battle.net, make sure you log into the US Server as we'll be playing our games there.
Once you're logged in, join the 'Giantbomb' chat channel on Battle.net in order to set up matches with eachother.
The winner of the tournament will win $15
The player who comes second will win a $10 Steam purchase.
One participant in the tournament will win the raffle. Each contestant will be given a random number and once the tournament is complete I (or Moztacular) will generate a random number using random.org. Whoever's number gets picked will get to choose a single game from the following list:
- Civilization 5 (Vanilla)
- Borderlands 2
- Serious Sam 3
- Deus Ex: Goty edition
- Payday: The Heist
- Dungeon Defenders
- Binary Domain
We've got a Raidcall group now where you can hang out in and talk to fellow Bombers if you want. The group's called 'Giant Bomb SC2' (Group id: 5863394).
As usual, Moztacular will be streaming his games and will commentate as many games as he can.
You can find his stream here.
Hennet will also be streaming his matches. His stream is here.
If you're also willing and able to stream, please let me know. I'll add a link to your stream in this post.
Let me know if you want to participate and what you think about the new format. And, as always, GLHB!