Are you actually going to buy a Steam Machine?

• 109 results
ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Poll Are you actually going to buy a Steam Machine? (390 votes)

Yes 14%
No 51%
Haven't Decided 35%

The whole Steam OS/Steam Machine announcement seems cool and all, but I honestly have no idea who this is for. I know with certainty that I have no need for one.

I already have a PC that can play games and it is already connected to a TV with a 360 controller at the ready. As far as console gaming is concerned, I'd much rather get a PS4 than a pre-made PC that won't get any console exclusive games. I mean, the main draw for consoles at this point are the exclusives and console only multiplatform games, Steam OS won't get any of those.

So I keep coming back to the question: Who is it for? Most people that can build a gaming PC can figure out how to set it up on a TV if that's the kind of experience they're looking for. Console gamers by and large aren't going to pass up thing like Gears of War, Halo, Uncharted, God of War, Metal Gear, Destiny, and all the other console only games to switch to steam, something that doesn't resonate with them (being console gamers).

So, which of you duders are actually planning on getting a Steam Machine, and more importantly, why? I see it as something that sits somewhere in between PC and console gaming, but won't really attract many people from either side.

Note to Mods: I didn't see any similar polls, but searching is shit so I may have missed it. If so, I apologize.

• 
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have a pretty nice PC, my 480 card is getting pretty old at this point, everything else is more current (a friend sold me the card for cheap). I plan to stick with that, plus a PS4- I can't not play Metal Gear, right?

Oh, my I've got a cousin who's a hardcore Xbox fangirl, I'll just use her XBO to play Halo, as it's the only Microsoft exclusive franchise I'm really interested in at this point.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am curious, but I don't know enough concrete details about them to make a definite conclusion yet.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have a HTPC case, a motherboard and power supply that I've been waiting for a reason to pull out and use. I'll definitely download and install the SteamOS beta on one of my current computers. Assuming it's good, I'll definitely finish up that HTPC and install it with SteamOS. As to why? I'm a Linux user, I like to tinker with computers and new operating system environments. I have a Windows gaming PC that don't often use any more because it's so loud and hot, and it's desk is not very comfortable. If the streaming works well, and I can play my Windows games from my couch in addition to the Linux games I've been acquiring with a well built silent media PC that's a win for me.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PC with a 360 controller plugged into it still works for me so I don't think I'll get this any time soon.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You need to be more responsible in your purchasing decisions if you're already planning to buy a Steam Machine sight unseen.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. HTCP capabilities along with being able to stream games from my PC are the major draws for me. Of course, if none of the units that are released handle these functions in a satisfactory manner, I will hold off.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This poll is to early in my opinion. We should all just sit back and wait until we see some physical hardware and potential capabilities of all these announced elements coming together before anyone can even begin to make a subjective decision on this.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko said:

Yeah. HTCP capabilities along with being able to stream games from my PC are the major draws for me. Of course, if none of the units that are released handle these functions in a satisfactory manner, I will hold off.

Out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to pay for a Steam Machine that has multimedia functionality (let's say on the level of XBMC) and PC game streaming that has low latency (a few hiccups/stalls, but feels like you are playing locally for the vast majority of the time)?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Don't know anything about it, yet. I'm going to wait.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Who is this for? Gabe Newell.

It all goes back to what he said about Windows 8 (personal opinions aside) being Microsoft's attempt, or first step, at making the Windows operating system a more closed platform. The reality here is that Steam itself is one of the most closed system in play, and this recent move with SteamOS cements Valve's desire to create a completely controlled environment. Just like the evil Microsoft Gabe was thrashing about last year.

Electronic Arts gets voted the evil empire of the gaming world while Origin remains much more open than Steam. At the same time, the industry collectively lit its hair on fire over Microsoft's attempt to (more or less) copy Steam with Xbox One's DRM policy. All the while mostly giving a pass to Sony's move in charging for online play.

Funny.

I have (late) news for Gabe, if Microsoft actually did create a completely locked down Windows, no one would buy it. And that's that.

It's amusing to me who gets a free pass and who doesn't. It probably has everything to do with the ridiculous sales Steam has that allow people to buy games for dirt cheap. Money (or lack of) talks. What bothers me a bit about this (despite indulging in just that same thing) is how similar it is to the used games market publishers' seem to hate so much? Electronic Arts pulled Dragon Age II from Steam and has yet to release one game since. What other major publisher is next? Ubisoft? They already have Uplay, one small step from joining both Blizzard and Electronic Arts in creating their own closed distribution platform.

I've gone off topic, but I think Valve is overreaching with this one. Who is it for, seriously? I actually don't know. All I do know is I won't be buying it.

tonyp2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tonyp2121

I'm unsure, the streaming is the only thing about the steam machine I'm really interested in so I might get the cheapest model they have just to stream my games around my house. I will definitely buy a controller though if I decide not to get a steam machine

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see no point in it. My PC already does everything this box is supposed to do and I see no need to buy a small gimpy pc purely for gaming. Oh wait I have those... they are called consoles and I buy them for exclusive games that wont be on a steam box. Sorry Gabe, you are over reaching.

Capsicum_Homie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm already way into playing steam games through my living room tv, if the steam machine stuff can make any of that a lil easier I'm super down!

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Fuck no. I already have my TV next to my computer at my desk, and once I build my new machine, it's going right into that HDMI port.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Maaaaaaaaaaybe.. yeah.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cmblasko

@andorski said:

@cmblasko said:

Out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to pay for a Steam Machine that has multimedia functionality (let's say on the level of XBMC) and PC game streaming that has low latency (a few hiccups/stalls, but feels like you are playing locally for the vast majority of the time)?

That's a great question. I have no sense of what this kind of technology costs to manufacture. I could be shooting way under here, but I would say that $200 is probably the highest I would be willing to go as the purchase would be primarily for convenience. Any amount over that and I would have to weigh the personal value of purchasing the steam machine for convenience vs. purchasing a handheld or console for access to its exclusive games.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If it's a cheap alternative to buying a PC and gets me even just marginally better performance than consoles...maybe. I'm more interested in picking up an Xbone and PS4 first though, I'm a console gamer, ultimately - but that's what interests me in a Steam Box, since it'll be a little more like a console. I'm super interested to give that controller a go.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope. In dorm, no TV, and already have pretty nice computer. No reason for me to get one.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SharkEthic

I'll buy one, but only for streaming from my PC to my TV. I have a pretty decent gaming rig in my upstairs office, so being able to stream to the living room TV would be awesome. I'm guessing the entry model of whatever the steam box will be is gonna be sufficient, so I'm hoping it'll be fairly cheap.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I already have a great PC, and I plan to buy a PS4.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By nightriff

Maybe. Depends how much it costs, how powerful it really is, ease of use, don't have to use there weird controller, etc. I'm not closed to the idea of owning one but I will wait to see what people say. But I will probably get a Steam box sooner than I get an Xone.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

For me, personally, probably not. I have a gaming PC and have the sense to use an HDMI cable from it to the TV if I need that experience. I also will own a PS4 at launch, so...why? As a streaming device, maybe...but to me I think it is mostly a vanity item. A full blown gaming Steam machine cannot be cheaper than building a PC, even as a set top box...so why? I suppose to get the SteamOS but isn't that going to be free?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#24  Edited By DarthOrange

Probably not. I usually get a system for it exclusives and at most I would miss some future Valve games. Portal was alright but everything else didn't click with me.

@bawlzinmotion said:

Who is this for? Gabe Newell.

It all goes back to what he said about Windows 8 (personal opinions aside) being Microsoft's attempt, or first step, at making the Windows operating system a more closed platform. The reality here is that Steam itself is one of the most closed system in play, and this recent move with SteamOS cements Valve's desire to create a completely controlled environment. Just like the evil Microsoft Gabe was thrashing about last year.

Electronic Arts gets voted the evil empire of the gaming world while Origin remains much more open than Steam. At the same time, the industry collectively lit its hair on fire over Microsoft's attempt to (more or less) copy Steam with Xbox One's DRM policy. All the while mostly giving a pass to Sony's move in charging for online play.

Funny.

I have (late) news for Gabe, if Microsoft actually did create a completely locked down Windows, no one would buy it. And that's that.

It's amusing to me who gets a free pass and who doesn't. It probably has everything to do with the ridiculous sales Steam has that allow people to buy games for dirt cheap. Money (or lack of) talks. What bothers me a bit about this (despite indulging in just that same thing) is how similar it is to the used games market publishers' seem to hate so much? Electronic Arts pulled Dragon Age II from Steam and has yet to release one game since. What other major publisher is next? Ubisoft? They already have Uplay, one small step from joining both Blizzard and Electronic Arts in creating their own closed distribution platform.

I've gone off topic, but I think Valve is overreaching with this one. Who is it for, seriously? I actually don't know. All I do know is I won't be buying it.

I have not actually read any news about it but is this only going to run steam games and nothing more? Is it a mini computer that can do other stuff or is it just a console? Is it confirmed that it won't be able to play Origin and Blizzard games?

Also yea it is slightly irritating how at this particular point Sony and Valve get a "wait and see" approach by most on the internet while any news about Microsoft and Nintendo seems to piss off a bunch of very vocal peeps.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#25  Edited By Brackynews

I have no interest in building gaming PCs anymore (I did since the 80386 days, ask me about my HIMEM.SYS). Now it's: Fuck cables and fuck drivers. /Murtaugh

I make due with what I have, or I'll plan to apply my income towards ready-made Alienware or somesuch. I think the SteamyBox would appeal to a similar ready-made market, and probably much more affordable.

Hell if I know if I'll get one. I'm not an early adopter of anything.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jayjonesjunior

I'm going to build my own Mini ITX APU and install SteamOS on it.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By squiDc00kiE

I'll probably end up with one of the controllers because I just have to see that thing for myself.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I CANNOT WAIT to dig around inside, mess with the OS, and generally just be in on the ground floor, release day for this thing.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No to the Steam machine PC, maybe if it's a streaming box, I'll give the OS a try and the controller is worth messing around with.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All i really know, is that it exists. I dont know any real details about it. So uh, no?

It could very well end up being amazing and i'd get end up getting one and loving it. But at this point, with the amount of information we have on it. No, I dont care yet.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By hawkinson76

I have been happily couch gaming and watching Netflix on an Intel Q6600 since 2007. The next generation of consoles will probably force me to upgrade, so I'll give them a look.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I would buy one. Wii U..Steam, Xbox One..Steam, PS4..Steam. I have Steam. I've had Steam since 2004. Valve it is.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'll get one.

If you don't know who it's for, it's not for you.

RavenousJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt that I will, I would much rather build myself a gaming pc.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Scampbell

I am much more excited for the controller and the OS than any of these. Sounds like machines for people who want something pre-build and ready to go and doesn't mind spending a bit extra to get it.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Maybe not buy one, but I have a media PC hooked up to a TV downstairs in my house that I would totally try SteamOS on, see how the streaming works

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would rather Valve focus on some really badass software stuff than manufacturing mini pcs. Steam OS could be cool (maybe) but no way in hell am I gonna buy another pc when I just finished building my magnificent beast. For people who are new to pc gaming it could be alright I guess but I would still rather just do some research or ask for a little help building my own.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck no. I already have a PC that doesn't limit me to playing Steam games or streaming. I honestly don't see who Steam Machines, or SteamOS for that matter, is for. This past week of announcements just seems like Valve's attempt to gradually close the PC market around them.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The sad fact is what Valve is proposing now woudl have been cool 15 years ago. But now...tell me what is so different betwwen a PC, a Console, and this. All three devices are circles overlapped like a tight Venn Digram, with only tiny slivers of differentiation between them.

Consoles are computers that have the annoying patch updates of PCs without the annoying anomalies that come form up-gradable hardware or OS issues. Meanwhile, PCs are so stable now that even an idiot could make a game run on their machine by just looking up an answer in Google...yet still have some annoying OS issues, annoying patch issues and annoying upgrade issues. The Steam Machines...well they MIGHT have slightly less annoying OS issues...but still have the same old annoying patch issues and annoying upgrade issues.

Since the market place for gaming is now this tight - Venn Diagram of similar devices. Why does a Steam Machine makes any sense? What is the clear advantage to this system? Let me tell you, up-gradable hardware is NOT an advantage in the real world, it just introduces uncertainty to game development and instability when some fool doesn't push their new GPU card firmly into the socket.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The distance between my TV and PC is about a foot or so, and I still don't have them connected to each other. So, no.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#42  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

I don't really have a reason to buy one now since I already have everything set up correctly in my gaming room already. It'll be quite a while before my PC gets outdated but once it does I might think about getting one. Mostly depends on how well it does and how much support it gets by developers.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By Hunter5024

Well I've been building a PC for the last couple of months, and it's going to be about 4 feet from my tv. Plus I already have $200 down on my PS4 as well, so from a console and a PC perspective I should be set by the end of the year. If I hadn't already picked all of my parts and bought a couple of the most expensive ones, then I think I might be a little more interested in this. However right now I just don't see the point. If putting SteamOS on there is really simple than I would be willing to do that just to check it out. The controller I'm not sold on, but I'm tentatively interested in it, even if it doesn't seem like a great fit for the games I like. Maybe there's still more information to announce but currently I'd say it's all just not for me.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44  Edited By Seppli

If by the time I replace this PC these Steam Machines offer PC gaming with a better price, that allows me to buy a new box every 2-4 years, rather than upgrading my PC - sure, I could see me do that.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By penguindust

If it can stream from my PC to my TV, then yes. If it's just an set-top PC, then no. I don't need another PC, I need something which allows me to use my PC in other rooms. Having a dedicated PC in the living room or bedroom is not an option, so if the Steam Machine can let me play games from my PC in the other parts of my house, I would certainly pick one up.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I probably won't buy one.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may look into one of the streaming ones so I can stream may games to the TV over ethernet instead of having the PC in the living room. It'd be nice to play indie games on it without firing up the big rig.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Don't know nearly enough to decide

Probably would lean towards a PS4 because I already have a way to play Steam Games, so I'd rather get something that would widen my exclusives and platforms options. And PS4 is more likely to have the Japanese games I'd want to play.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably not, but I don't know for sure yet.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im gonna install the SteamOS and take it from there.