Are you actually going to buy a Steam Machine?

• 109 results
ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Poll Are you actually going to buy a Steam Machine? (390 votes)

Yes 14%
No 51%
Haven't Decided 35%

The whole Steam OS/Steam Machine announcement seems cool and all, but I honestly have no idea who this is for. I know with certainty that I have no need for one.

I already have a PC that can play games and it is already connected to a TV with a 360 controller at the ready. As far as console gaming is concerned, I'd much rather get a PS4 than a pre-made PC that won't get any console exclusive games. I mean, the main draw for consoles at this point are the exclusives and console only multiplatform games, Steam OS won't get any of those.

So I keep coming back to the question: Who is it for? Most people that can build a gaming PC can figure out how to set it up on a TV if that's the kind of experience they're looking for. Console gamers by and large aren't going to pass up thing like Gears of War, Halo, Uncharted, God of War, Metal Gear, Destiny, and all the other console only games to switch to steam, something that doesn't resonate with them (being console gamers).

So, which of you duders are actually planning on getting a Steam Machine, and more importantly, why? I see it as something that sits somewhere in between PC and console gaming, but won't really attract many people from either side.

Note to Mods: I didn't see any similar polls, but searching is shit so I may have missed it. If so, I apologize.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I see no reason at all for me to buy one for the streaming capabilities, as I don't have a decent gaming PC to begin with, and I see no reason to buy the full-on Steam box because if I wanted to spend that much money, I'd just build a PC that could play the full Steam library instead of just SteamOS compatible games. This has been my issue with this entire concept from the beginning, and remains my issue with it now. These devices do basically nothing to expand the audience between those who are already there.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By GaspoweR

@korwin said:

I already have a loungeroom machine in addition to my desktop one, could always put something small in the bedroom though and use the streaming if it was cheap enough.

Yep, same thought as well though they haven't yet revealed a version where you can stream it to the machine in the living room from your main desktop computer or if they are actually planning on making one or if they are going to release one yet. That's the version I'll probably be getting.

dionysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't plan on buying a "Steam" machine specifically, but I do plan to set up a PC (ideally this holiday season if I have time for researching the parts/build I want) on my TV and will probably multi-boot SteamOS and Win8 on it for the foreseeable future until one of the options offers a clearly superior "couch" gaming/media experience.

I already have the Xbox One and PS4, but with neither system offering backwards compatibility and a lot of uncertainty around whether either will offer reasonable prices on independent games and back catalog sales, it really seems like Steam has the best eco-system for building a digital gaming library. There is also no certainty of future "backwards-compatibility" seeing as how both Microsoft and Sony are handling their Xbox 360 and PS3 downloadable libraries. I have a ton of games for Xbox 360 that I really wish I could still use on the Xbox One because in the next year or so I will probably unplug the 360 and store it away in a closet and games that I still enjoy playing on occasion will be a lot less accessible except for the ones that I have purchased Steam versions of. I may as well just purchase the Steam version first in the future.

Demon27248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd definitely buy one at launch. I'm a weird person, I like PC games such as Half-Life, UT 2004, etc... as well as game modding & openness, however I also prefer to play games on consoles due to the care-free simplicity, ease of play & good controller support for most games. That's why I love my modded Original Xbox, it functions like a PC & has tonnes of PC ports such as Half-Life 2, Doom 3 & Dues Ex: Invisible War. I also do not have a good gaming PC.

I think the Steam Box could appeal to both PC Gamers who are looking to get a new PC & Console Gamers; as an alternative to Xbox 1/PS4/WiiU. It doesn't have any "Steam Machine Exclusive" games, but it does have PC exclusive games, & many console gamers do not have a good gaming PC.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#105  Edited By AndrewB

No, because I own a mini ITX PC that is just as powerful and has more storage options and room for cooling, though depending on price I might recommend others to do it. The Valve-built one is a nice piece of architecture, though the compact design makes me wonder how upgradable it really will be (specifically on the GPU side, because that containment space is so purpose-built for cooling that specific size and cooler/fan exhaust).

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if i could get a kickass and well-integrated system for about the cost of building it for myself, hey why not? it's a nice form factor you probably can't readily copy in a self-built system (unless maybe you're good at welding or something?). i'm not sure if i'm willing to put $1000 towards a system upgrade; maybe $600 total but hey realistically it may end up being quite a bit more than that (i'm pretty much going to have to build a new system save hard drives and case).

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@andrewb said:

No, because I own a mini ITX PC that is just as powerful and has more storage options and room for cooling, though depending on price I might recommend others to do it. The Valve-built one is a nice piece of architecture, though the compact design makes me wonder how upgradable it really will be (specifically on the GPU side, because that containment space is so purpose-built for cooling that specific size and cooler/fan exhaust).

For the GPU the prototype case basically forces users to use cards with blower coolers. Hopefully nVidia keeps leading the charge on that cooling solution; the Titan cooler does an okay job of moving hot air even when compared to non-reference coolers.

fr0sterson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not a steam machine isn't that interesting to me but I am very interested in the OS and the controller

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Vuud

I think to buy one you have to be an unusual person in a very specific situation:

You're way into gaming, but you don't have a PC, didn't get the latest gen console yet and no plans to do so, and don't have a last gen console (which still has plenty of life in it and lots of recent titles).

Of you're just insane with lots of money. Which is the best kind of insane to be.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#110  Edited By amafi

@vuud said:

I think to buy one you have to be an unusual person in a very specific situation:

You're way into gaming, but you don't have a PC, didn't get the latest gen console yet and no plans to do so, and don't have a last gen console (which still has plenty of life in it and lots of recent titles).

Of you're just insane with lots of money. Which is the best kind of insane to be.

If you don't already have a console or a gaming PC running windows you might as well buy a toaster for gaming,it'll run about as many of the games you want as steam os will.

It looks like a decent enough mini itx computer. Nothing more, nothing less. The OS so far is nothing more than debian booting into steam in big picture mode. Actually slower on my i7 4770k/gtx780 than installing the steam client on ubuntu 13.10, and it doesn't offer anything more than that does so far.

And the controller just looks like complete and utter dog shit. I'll buy it, because buying gaming peripherals is kinda what I do, but it looks turrble.