• 64 results
Posted by mlarrabee (3064 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: Do you sort your Steam games into categories? (220 votes)

Yes. 55%
No. 30%
No, but I want to. 14%
See the results. 1%

I've been buying a lot of really dubious Steam game bundles lately. Groupees.com has loaded me down with many Russian games of questionable quality, though I've snagged some really good titles as well.

All of this forty-cents-a-game purchasing leaves me with a disorganized Steam library, so every month or so I sit down and google each game to find the proper genre to fit them into.

Do you catalog your Steam games, or do you have one long list? Or do you have a single heading for games that require your immediate attention while the rest languish below?

P.S.: My googling uncovered this little program. Has anyone tried it?

https://code.google.com/p/depressurizer/

#1 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1093 posts) -

I sort it by whats installed

#2 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1206 posts) -

Just alphabetized, nothing special.

#3 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

I categorize by control device.

1. keyboard only
  2. keyboard/mouse
  3. controller

Plus a sort of "Playing these games now or next" category

#4 Posted by Domineeto (149 posts) -

I sort by genre and put the games I'm currently playing through in favourites and remove them when I'm done.

#5 Posted by Buneroid (428 posts) -

I would but I hate the way you have to sort them so I always give up after 5 or 6. Is there any way you can just drop and rag or something?

#6 Edited by Animasta (14731 posts) -

I do this:

• favorites
  • finished
  • played (not finishable/no more interest in it)
  • still playing
  • unfinished (not finished but I will probably continue one day)
  • unplayed

but I need to reorganize, i have a bunch of ones in no category and shit D:

#7 Edited by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

so every month or so I sit down and google each game to find the proper genre to fit them into.

Playing them doesn't help? O_o

My categories are dumb and arbitrary, because I don't have more games installed than I can skim through. For whatever reason I don't like having unassigned stuff at the bottom, because that's where I can find new purchases. :D

"Cheevos" for GFWL support, "Indie" for anything even remotely low budget, "Those Guys" for any game that I can immediately name the creator, "Never Gonna Play" for permafree and MMO cruft, then publisher groupings like ID, Valve, Lucasarts...

#8 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I have each Indie Bundle in their own category, then I have the games I have gotten through Steamgifts, then I have installed, and finally uninstalled.

#9 Posted by Unequivocable (225 posts) -

@animasta said:

I do this:

• favorites
  • finished
  • played (not finishable/no more interest in it)
  • still playing
  • unfinished (not finished but I will probably continue one day)
  • unplayed

but I need to reorganize, i have a bunch of ones in no category and shit D:

This is very similar to what I do -- I find the biggest problem with a ever-growing Steam library is losing track of stuff you bought cheap but then have never tried, or else tried but then never got back to.

#10 Posted by Vextroid (1431 posts) -

Yep, by Genre.

Completed games get put into a Completed category.

#11 Posted by weegieanawrench (1943 posts) -

Yes, by genre. When I'm done with the game I uninstall it. No point in having it sit there taking up space when it's going to be ignored. New games I buy that haven't been installed stay in the default "games" category.

#12 Edited by fisk0 (4522 posts) -

I don't have particularly good categories, but after buying that Strategy First publisher pack with 40 variations of Diner Dash and lots of hidden object games, categorizing my library (which was already a bit too large to find stuff in) became absolutely necessary.

At the moment it's:

• Favorites
  • 3PS
  • Driving games
  • Flight simulators
  • FPS - Multiplayer
  • FPS - Singleplayer
  • Mech games
  • MMORPG
  • Retro and indie games
  • RPG
  • Space shooters
  • Sandbox games
  • Shoot 'em up
  • Strategy Games
  • Visual novels

and then a couple of hundred games I haven't categorized yet.

#13 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6403 posts) -

I separate between genres, like many.

#14 Edited by GreggD (4515 posts) -

I sort by genre and put the games I'm currently playing through in favourites and remove them when I'm done.

Same here.

#15 Edited by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

so every month or so I sit down and google each game to find the proper genre to fit them into.

Playing them doesn't help? O_o

I can't play much at the moment--my sole computer is a 13" MBP--but I'm going to build a PC in a month. I've been markedly expanding my game library in the last few months in preparation.

#16 Edited by BeachThunder (12450 posts) -

My categories are:

• Favourites
  • Games I don't want
  • Games I've finished
  • Backlog games
  • Games that I'm currently playing/games that I plan on playing sometime in the near future
#17 Posted by Marz (5672 posts) -

I seperated all my RPG's from other types of games for easier access, but that's about it.

#18 Posted by Grillbar (1914 posts) -

they are automatically alphabetized and i have all my games installed at once but i do have them separated in to two categories or basically only made one called useless, and thats beta's and test things that i have use for and i get annoyed of looking at

#19 Posted by SMTDante89 (2588 posts) -

Besides having games in the default category, I put games that support Trading Cards in a separate category. Not exactly in it for collecting badges (except for the games I really like) but they're fun little collectibles, and any spares that I get I can put on the marketplace and make a little money off of them.

#20 Posted by MildMolasses (3229 posts) -

No. In fact I only discovered that feature yesterday, thought about using it, then decided that the alphabetical list of my games is more than fine for my uses

#21 Posted by Snail (8663 posts) -

Yep. "Completed", "Currently Playing", "Haven't Played at All", and "Not Completed Yet" are some of them.

#22 Edited by L1GHTN1N (553 posts) -

I sort them by genres; usually when I'm looking for a new game to play out of my backlog I'm thinking about playing a specific type of game such as "I wanna shoot something" or "I wanna click something a lot!". So I have them sorted by:

• Adventure
  • Betas
  • Card Games
  • Diablo-Like
  • First Person Shooter
  • Indie
  • Mac Only (To separate the Mac versions of the GTA games)
  • MMOs
  • Puzzle
  • Racing
  • RPG
  • Strategy
  • Third Person
  • Valve

#23 Edited by FriendlyPhoenix (469 posts) -

Steam automatically alphabetizes games and that's how I like to organize things, so I don't really have a use for categories.

#24 Posted by Bam_Boozilled (163 posts) -

I've only got like 25 steam games so it doesn't really mater.

I actually didn't even notice the Category button till now. Those 25 games are about to get super organized.

#25 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1937 posts) -

I use the following categories:

• Completed (games I've finished)
  • Completed on console (mostly games I got in bundles that I already owned and completed on consoles and probably won't play again on PC)
  • Done Playing (games I have played but not finished that I have no desire to ever play again)
  • Have not Played (games I haven't even booted up)
  • Multiplayer (multiplayer only or multiplayer focused games)
  • Now Playing (games I am currently playing, this categories changes often)
  • Unfinished (games I started but haven't finished, though I fully intend to finish)
#26 Posted by darkvare (780 posts) -

you can make sections?

#27 Posted by Forcen (1856 posts) -
#28 Posted by Belegorm (680 posts) -

I put the games I might play under favourites, that's pretty much it.

#29 Posted by squiDc00kiE (367 posts) -

Since I had to reinstall I came to the realization that all I play is Dota so that's all that's in my library right now. I don't like to have my uninstalled games visible so it's just Dota for now

#30 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Just installed in alphabetical order.

#31 Edited by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

It works.

#32 Edited by thebunnyhunter (1482 posts) -

I try to put them into categories using Depressurizer, i find the program easier to regroup the bulk of my games but some the program doesn't recognize. here is what im using right now.

I really wish that steam would allow sub categories or allow game in multiple categories just to appease my inherent ocd-ness because right now the rpg, platformer, and action could be a lot more clean and organized

#33 Edited by RobotSquad (219 posts) -
  • Favorites (Playing now or soon)
  • Steam Games (Uninstalled)
  • Pirat-err I mean, non Steam Games
#34 Edited by ajamafalous (12167 posts) -

Alphabetical. I used to do Installed/Not Installed but realized I never went to the Not Installed section so I always forgot what games I owned.

Also I own an absurd number of games on Steam (like 625 or something) so it would be ridiculous to try to sort them into genres or something.

#35 Edited by 49th (2854 posts) -

Nope. I'm never going to think, "today I want to play a puzzle game!". I will think of a specific game and install it.

#36 Posted by Andorski (5375 posts) -

I only have two categories: Finished Games (which are games that are installed but are not played anymore), and Not Installed (which are games I usually get when buying bundles but have no interest in playing; e.g. Amnesia).

Games that I'm currently playing I keep as Favorites.

Also, I just want to say that Steam's category system is pretty terrible. At the very least, Valve could make group categorizing possible. Setting category game by game is a pain if you do not keep up with it and makes it less likely for you to re-organize your games if you ever wanted to do such a thing.

#37 Edited by Hayt (341 posts) -

I wasn't aware people didn't organise games on Steam. Anarchists.

#38 Edited by audioBusting (1649 posts) -

I used to categorize every single one, but Steam messed up and lost the settings multiple times. Now I only have favorites vs. non-favorites.

#39 Edited by TobbRobb (4853 posts) -

Well, I do now. Didn't even know you could.

Before this I just uninstalled most of the games I didn't play. Kept the list short.

#40 Edited by ToTheNines (843 posts) -

I... didn't know you could do that lol. I will check that out, thanks!

#41 Edited by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

Uh, well i havent played PC games in while since my video card has taken a crap (it overheats SUPER fast, pretty sure the thermal paste is gone but its not worth replacing, better to buy a new card but MEH). I usually separated them into a "favorites" and everything else category. "Favorites" only really meant that i was actively playing it so it was at the top.

I also don't own a TON of games on steam like everyone else here seems to, so genre categories wouldn't be necessary

#42 Edited by Nadril (548 posts) -

Just have stuff organized into genres. Had to have an "other" genre though for all of the stuff I either don't have enough games to fit in / don't know what I would consider.

#43 Posted by Chaoticarsonist (37 posts) -

Didn't even know I could sort my games like this. I have over two hundred games. There goes the next hour.

#44 Edited by Nictel (2444 posts) -

I have most of my games installed:

• Beta - Test clients and beta games
  • Campaign - Games of which I just need to complete the campaign (but have MP component say a Total War)
  • Completed (Games I am done with either because I didn't like them or completed fully)
  • Multi Playthrough - Games with multiple storylines (Mass Effect, Oblivion)
  • Multiplayer - Strict multiplayer games (Dota, TF2)
  • Never Ending - Terraria, Civ5
  • Playing now - Currently playing the story
  • To Play - Games I haven't played yet
  • Tools - Servers, other non-gaming software

If I select all games I have another category 'Better version available' which has for instance Dragon Age in it because I also own the Complete Edition.

#45 Edited by Capum15 (5002 posts) -
  • Favorites - Games I really enjoy. Don't play much anymore due to second category.
  • Need To Play - Games I really need to play / finish.
  • Everything Else - ...

I should probably sort them better but this helps me decide what to play.

#46 Posted by chiablo (1001 posts) -

If I did, my categories would be:

• Games I'll never play
  • Games I'll probably never play
  • Dota2
#47 Edited by Sin4profit (3003 posts) -

#48 Edited by Hamst3r (4569 posts) -

I keep the games I haven't played yet under Favorites. If it's not in Favorites it means I've finished it. Easy peasy.

#49 Edited by Xymox (2116 posts) -

@hamst3r said:

I keep the games I haven't played yet under Favorites. If it's not in Favorites it means I've finished it. Easy peasy.

Yup. Used to do the same thing. I've expanded to 3 categories now though, but I still think that's the superior way of doing things.

The new categories I'm playing around with:

Beaten (I saw the credits, yay me)

Broken (anything that is poorly optimized or doesn't run well on my current rig ends up here)

Retired (a superior version of beaten (... because why keep playing a game if you don't enjoy it, just to "beat" it?), meaning I'm done with this game, I've seen enough and don't feel like sticking around for the credits and/or it has no end)

Uncategorized (unplayed, currently playing, things I want to play)

#50 Posted by Rorie (2987 posts) -

I tried doing it by genre a while ago, but it got a little confusing remember what went where. Still, better than just having one huge list, I guess.

Staff