Steam Holiday Sale 2013 Master Discussion Thread

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By alanm26v5

I picked up Bioshock Infinite season pass for $5, which was entirely funded by trading cards. Didn't see any other stand-out deals yet from my wishlist.

Edit: apparently that was a pricing error. I must have just gotten it in time because I was hesitating.

Natedogg2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Natedogg2

It's not likely that Brothers will be more than 50% off, right?

Like any Steam sale, it's possible to drop lower, unless it's a flash or daily sale. I could see it going down to 66% or 75% off, so I would wait until it goes on a daily or flash sale or wait for the last day of the sale.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By Red

Hoping that Walkin Dead season 2 and The Wolf Among Us will have some sort of sale. Also thinking of picking up Rogue Legacy, the Stanley Parable, and Kentucky Route Zero if the price is right.

Nothing....else.

Nothing else.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

The market is so broken now o_o

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

Sale is live now.

WHAT LIES ARE THESE. THERE'S NO SA.........

I just refreshed. You speak the truth.

Also, Divekick is like $2 so that's an instant pick. Because fuck wallets.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By TruthTellah

@beachthunder said:

It's not likely that Brothers will be more than 50% off, right?

Like any Steam sale, it's possible to drop lower, unless it's a flash or daily sale. I could see it going down to 66% or 75% off, so I would wait until it goes on a daily or flash sale or wait for the last day of the sale.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is on sale 60% off on Amazon right now. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQPQGSY

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@xymox said:

@chavtheworld said:

Sale is live now.

Should never have bought it full price #SteamRegrets

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xymox said:

@chavtheworld said:

Sale is live now.

Should never have bought it full price #SteamRegrets

Buying Divekick at all was a regret for me =/

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@professoress: I like to browse and think "well that's pretty good but MAYYBBEE I'd rather buy it for ..$2 instead of $5.."

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Bit disappointed with the "activity" in this one. I enjoyed it when I got shit from playing games and not getting rewarded for buying them. I have pretty much all the games I want which means I miss out on the main way to do the activity.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I can't think of much i want right now. Rayman Legends is the only game I'm hoping to pick up, but I'm sure I'll end up with a bunch more. I know it's currently 50% off on Amazon, but Steam sales got me spoiled into thinking 50% off isn't an amazing deal.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep buying to much off sale there's nothing left for me to buy on the sale. :D

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Pezen

WHAT STANLEY PARABLE IS NOW ON MAC AND ON SALE TAKE MY MY MONEY.

Got a few games on my list I'm hoping to see a good price on. Time to not be too cheap.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#64  Edited By TreeTrunk

Oh my God I feel like complete crap, I crafted like 10 badges just before this sale and each time I earned the snow globe card I sold it for around 20 cents each, which I thought was good for me, but... Now... THEY'RE SELLING FOR 50-60 CENTS EACH!!! D:

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#65  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Really only hoping to see a sale on Kentucky Route Zero. Beyond that, I reckon it's about that time of year I stock up on some indie games.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@sparky_buzzsaw: I got it for 12.50 during the last summer sale, and it went down to that price about 2 weeks ago, so Im guessing that's what it will go down to during the sale.

Im not really sure what Im going to buy...Maybe the walking dead season 2 will go back down to it's preorder price... Still need 400 days as well.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Hunter5024

If I had waited until today to buy The Swapper and Gunpoint instead of last friday, I would have about 8 dollars right now. I wish I had 8 dollars. I'm hungry.

TheScaryDoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bought Stanley Parable and Divekick today. Kinda regretting the SP purchase, but oh well.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By mylifeforAiur
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hmm, not sure if the Duke Nukem 3D Megaton/Shadow Warrior Classic Redux pack will go lower than 66% off... Buy now, or wait?

Decisions decisions.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Electronic Super Joy is 0.79 cents, what the fuck else can you buy with that much money?

BUY IT

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Does anyone else think the "event" this year is really lame?

It's an epic amount of fucking around to get some questionable in game items for some free to play games.

I don't know if it was last year, or the year before that, but we got free games and DLC for playing games with holiday themed content.

I hate to be biting the hand, and Steam doesn't really have to do anything, but after witnessing year after year of Steam going above and beyond, this ones sticks out as particularly bad.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidavenger: I do wish it was something more whimsical like that. But then, they seem to just be trying to get people to play these F2P games. So... *shrug* Can't be helped.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By TruthTellah

I bought Stanley Parable and Divekick today. Kinda regretting the SP purchase, but oh well.

Well, hey, at least feel good that you supported an indie developer. Have you played the game yet? I think you'll enjoy it.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@robotmafia: The Stanley Parable is one of my favourite games this year, I really think you'll like it when you give it a chance. Don't regret the purchase just yet!

Also if you guys are looking for a couple if extra dollars this Steam sale, the snowglobe cards are selling for around 60 - 70 cents each, it's not the much but it adds up to a free game eventually!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Electronic Super Joy is 0.79 cents, what the fuck else can you buy with that much money?

BUY IT

I can buy a can of Arizona Tea.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really tempted to pick up FTL

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nekusakuraba said:

BUY IT

I can buy a can of Arizona Tea.

It has trading cards, so if you play your cards right (...), you might even get your money back.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I went to buy Mirror's Edge and discovered I already own it...I think that is going to be happening a lot.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By BeachThunder

Yay, I just bought Brothers entirely with trading card money. Now I won't feel bad if I think the game is complete poop :P

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trine 1 is 99 cents guys (90% off), only noticed because it was in my wishlist

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Public Service Announcement

If you don't care about this Winter card event you can sell them on the Steam marketplace for 60 to 70 cents each. Doing the 3 votes a day for the community choice will get you a card, so you may get around 8 bucks in Steam credit by the end of this if you keep it up.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Can someone explain in two sentences or less why these seemingly worthless cards are worth 60 to 70 cents? I don't get this trading card thing at all. I've got a bunch sitting in my inventory, though. Maybe I'll be like that guy who had 5,000 bitcoins on an old hard drive?

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ThunderSlash

@mb: It's just the Winter cards right now. Other cards are like 30 cents or less (depending on price of the game they are related to). People like to craft them for emotes and backgrounds, badges and shit. Plus, they like to see that Steam level of theirs go up. It's basically Steam equivalent of "Gamerscore."

Oh and the Winter cards will expire after the sales are over according to their descriptions. So sell that shit if you don't want anything to do with them. Also, the price of the Winter cards just crashed a bit due to the influx of people that just got cards from the first 3 votes.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: They are a means of buffing up your steam profile, and a means for valve to make money (some of the money people earn from selling cards is taxed). Using the cards to craft badges gives emoticons, profile backgrounds, and coupons of random value for random games as well as increase that number next to your steam name. During the major sales (winter and summer) special cards are released that give special things when crafted, in the case of this sale, they will give a random unique item for a random free-to-play game. Some of those unique items are on sale now, some for 10 cents, some for 28 dollars.

If you sell them, the money you earn can offset some of the expense of the next game you purchase, as they've done for me (I use paypal though, I don't know if they offset credit card money).

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BTW, Hard Reset is fantastic.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, since I recently found out that they removed Dirt 1 and 2 (and therefore that 3 game Dirt pack I saw but didn't grab a while back during another Steam sale isn't possible), the only thing I'm actively looking towards is XCOM: Enemy Within. Only just started playing Enemy Unknown and man, I really like it. Though the last big fight I had almost burnt me out on the game.

But there's little doubt that something will randomly pop up that I'll get because hey, it's cheap and I'm losing money if I don't buy it! Right guys?

Right?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Kidavenger

Valve changed their creditcard processing account, I've been buying stuff for 5 years from them and it always says "VALVE SOFTWARE", the stuff I bought yesterday came through as "STEAMGAMES.COM" which is kind of weird it's not the proper url for their store.

I hope this isn't them separating steam and valve more.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valve changed their creditcard processing account, I've been buying stuff for 5 years from them and it always says "VALVE SOFTWARE", the stuff I bought yesterday came through as "STEAMGAMES.COM" which is kind of weird it's not the proper url for their store.

I hope this isn't them separating steam and valve more.

Um, were you phished? D:

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: No, it's the stuff I bought, they've just made changes to their merchant account, changing the name on the account makes it look like they are moving towards separating into two distinct companies.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By BeachThunder

So is Final Fantasy 7 worth picking up for someone that has never played a FF game and thinks that the graphics look all kinds of terrible? Also, I really enjoyed Chrono Trigger.

Also, I've already had spoilers shoved in my face by many people...

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is Final Fantasy 7 worth picking up for someone that has never played a FF game and thinks that the graphics look all kinds of terrible? Also, I really enjoyed Chrono Trigger.

should not even be a question! buy it. the graphics are way better than the have ever been AND there are plenty of mods out there that are pretty impressive. i like it old school though. the game is a must play.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By alanm26v5

Bionic Commando and Bionic Commando Rearmed are $2.50 each. I feel like they were talked about so much on this site I'm required to play them, but I held off for now considering how many games I have yet to play.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Hunter5024

It's no Chrono Trigger but I like it! Also there are graphics mods out there.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, interesting, those FFVII mods actually look pretty all right.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By ThunderSlash

@beachthunder: Be aware that FFVII on Steam uses Square's own DRM, which requires you to make a Square account and log in. During the Thanksgiving sale their servers were clogged up due to a daily sale, so people were having trouble getting into the game. Also, the music is defaulted to midi versions, but that can be easily fixed through mods and such.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By ripelivejam
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: name me five games that are better than brother

1. BioShock Infinite
  2. Antichamber
  3. Gone Home
  4. DmC Devil May Cry
  5. Tomb Raider
BeardDuder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Question!!

I want to by my bother inlaw a game off the sale and give it to him for Christmas. As I am new to steam and PC gameing how is the best way to do it? I really want to just get a code for the game and put it in a card. Is that posible? Or do I just have to get his email and send it that way?

Thanks for the help!