Which games were your best and worst values?

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GiantLizardKing

When answering this recent forum thread about my most played Steam game I started wondering which games in my library were the best values in terms of price per hour. I copied and pasted my profile results from the steam db into excel and created an additional column for Price/Hour. I wasn't surprised to find out that the game I got the best value from was the original Mount & Blade at 8 cents an hour. What a great value! Conversely, fuck me for spending 327 bucks an hour to play Call of Duty: Ghosts.

I realize asking people to do spread sheet math is asking a lot so I won't get my feelings hurt if nobody responds to this :/

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

I won't work it out via spreadsheet (sorry). But I can tell you, off the top of my head, that it's probably Binding of Isaac. Although maybe technically not, since I've ended up buying that game three times over now :|

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ I spent 2.2 cents per hour for Minecraft(which is my most played game and my favorite game). Second place would go to The Binding of Isaac and its expansion which cost me 2.4 cents per hour. Those two game easily had the most bang for your buck.

ike7779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By ike7779

Yeah, where the hard math comes into it mine are without a doubt Terraria and Binding of Isaac.

But the first thing that came to mind reading this thread was Nier and how I found it at the bottom of a Best Buy bargain bin for like less than $5 and played it through repeatedly and nearly platinumed it and how it touched my soul etc., etc. One of the only games where I said "I kind of wish I paid full price for it."

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Corevi

Best Value: Marvel Heroes at 184 hours for $0.00.

Out of the games I actually paid money for: $2.50 for Fallout New Vegas which I've played for 40 hours (and only stopped playing because all my mods exploded).

Worst Value: Dishonoured at 9.6 hours for $60, but I absolutely love that game so whatever.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By afabs515

Best value: Persona 4: Paid 5 bucks, got 400 hours out of it.

Worst value: Any game I've bought in a Steam sale and never played. Some examples include: Alan Wake, Devil May Cry 3, The Walking Dead, The Witcher 1 and 2, and so on.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@afabs515 said:

Some examples include: Alan Wake, Devil May Cry 3, The Walking Dead, The Witcher 1 and 2, and so on.

Those are all fantastic games that I highly recommend, especially Alan Wake and The Witcher 2.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By DeadpanCakes

On steam, Terraria which I estimate at about 2 cents per hour. Binding of Isaac is also notable, but because I think I got it in some Humble Bundle I don't remember how much I paid for it.

Outside of Steam, Persona 4 and Monster hunter games come to mind. Super Mario World or Tetris, which I bought from family members for cheap as a child (and later in other cheap forms) are games I play pretty much every year, so even If I've purchased them multiple times, I'm pretty sure they're up there.

There're too many impulse steam sale purchases (which don't really happen to me anymore, thankfully) to even begin to consider which are the worst value.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well mine has to be DOTA 2 because well I paid zero for it and continue to not pay anything. And well 708 hours and counting now

Worst value has to be any of the numerous games in my backlog I haven't played yet.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Skyrim is definitely my best value, as I've gotten 30 hours for about $5, so 0.16/hour.

Worst is X-Com: Enemy Unknown. Paid $60 for it on release, played 3.6 hours, so $16.67/hour. It's horrible (I got stuck, and I just never had the energy to go back and relearn the mechanics and try to progress).

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Binding of Isaac was $5 and I played so, so much. I'm not much of a PC gamer, so the worst value is a few small indie games that I never ended up playing (even if they were supposed to be great!)

jhajha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WORST: Devil May Cry 3

BEST: Skyrim

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worst: Oblivion - I bought it twice and then didn't get into it.

Best: Championship Manager 2001-2002 - 99p and still play it.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Battlefield Bad Company 2 at ca. € 0.035/hour
followed by TES 3 Morrowind at ca. € 0.037/hour are the high water marks for price/ hour value.

Worst would be games I bought but haven't played yet, of course. That's pretty much always a temporary state for me though. Other than that there's a few small games I just gave a shot when they where extremely cheap but didn't get into all that much. Risk of Rain comes to mind, but because I bought it for cheap that still comes out at ca. 80 cents/hour. Even premium-priced, first-day purchases like Tomb Raider clock in at ca. 57 cents/hour.

And then there's Tetris and Diablo 2 of course. I have no way of determining playtime with those but I know I must've played utterly insane amounts of those games over the years. Especially Tetris.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Binding of Isaac or Terraria. I got both for less than the cost of a cup of coffee and spent 100's of hours on each.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best value by far is Minecraft. $10 (I was alpha) for probably 400-500 hours at this point. So about 2.5 cents an hour.

Working out my WoW playtime, it comes to around 28 cents per hour, including fees and a bi-annual expansion purchase of $40. Though I have calculated this on a monthly basis, not over the life of the game.

I think League of Legends / DOTA will top the efficiency list for many, as many people never spend money on them.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

"Hours played" isn't what I consider the best determinant of value, but I've the most hours played per dollar in Skyrim. I think. I'm not doin' that math!

Outside of Steam the answer is surely Minecraft, in recent years anyway. I played both Star Wars Battlefront games for a ridiculous number of hours back in the PS2 days, so overall it's probably that.

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have virtual stacks and stacks of games I've paid for and never touched. stacks i tell you.

My most played game of all time is Morrowind. I've played Morrowind more hours than I've played WoW. And I've been into that since the vanilla beta.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

GTA:VC at 4p an hour. VALUE!

The worst investment I didn't get in a bundle is... Frozen Cortex. Which is weird because I swear I've played more than 2 hours of that. Insurgency sounds more accurate, at £11 an hour.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By ProfessorEss

My best value is definitely Terarria. I paid $2.50 for it and have played roughly 120 hours. That's 2 cents an hour, and all those hours were top tier enjoyment. Honourable mentions go to Don't Starve, Fallout 3, Just Cause 2, Team Fortress 2 and Rogue Legacy.

Worst value is Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Paid full price, played 2-3 hours and hated pretty much everything about it. Dishonourable mentions go to Sleeping Dogs (love it but it keeps crashing in the same spots), Fallout: New Vegas, inFamous 2, ModNation Racers, and what might be the worst game I've ever played, Enchanted Arms.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best value: Crusader Kings 2. I bought all the expansions/DLC too...

Worst value: The Walking Dead. My friend recommended it so I bought it. I have yet to install it.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Mine is Spelunky. 13 cents an hour (114 hours, stopped playing after I got all the achievements).

Worst is Kentucky Route Zero, but the fiancee and I haven't finished it yet and I also wasn't expecting to get a huge amount of hours with it. Not disappointed with my time with it so far.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

without going super deep and using math my best would properly be anno 2070 i bought it on sale, cant remember how much but not a lot properly a max of 5euro and i have spend 340 hours in that game.
and the worst was properly brothers a of two sons. since i payed full price for it. and spend 1min on it. since i found out it was free of ps+ the next day

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My best value time/money wise was CthulhuMUD which I frequented for something like 350 hours and is absolutely free. Worst value was probably one of the games I've bought in Korean not realizing they took English support out. My Korean's OK, but not that good.

Most of the games that make it to Korea are the NA game entirely with only a Korean manual. Second most often you get one that someone added Korean to, but left the English in and will default to it if your system language is set to English. Very rarely you get one that someone translated into Korean and took out the English text entirely. I've bought a couple of those unknowingly. Though I did manage to finish Saints' Row the Third entirely in Korean text. Assassin's Creed 2 was another matter. I got about five minutes in struggling to read the copious amounts of hangeul and gave up.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PimblyCharles

The two games on Steam, I bought and played, that instantly pop into my head are:

Best value: Fallout: New Vegas

Worst value: Duke Nukem Forever

I'm basing this on the value for the price payed, time spent and enjoyment.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My best value is probably Terraria as well. Put 90 hours into it, after spending 10 bucks. Though I'll admit, not all of those were quality hours.

Worst value is the original Mass Effect, because I bought it for 50 bucks new, and really didn't connect with it, so I ended up selling it back for like 10 bucks after only putting in like 2 terrible hours. Then, I wanted to give it another shot after playing and loving Dragon Age, so I bought another copy, still couldn't stand the game and ended up selling that copy too. I bought that game a third time after Mass Effect 2 came out. Sold it without beating it. I just skipped to Mass Effect 2 when they released the motion comic on PS3. The annoying thing is, I'm considering buying it a 4th time.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By UlquioKani

For games that cost money, it's CS:GO. It's a game that I don't like all that much but I've put 100 hours into it because of my friends. According to the calculator, I've paid $0.15 per hour which is pretty great.

For actual best value it's Dota 2 at 1000 hours for free(ignore the money spent on compendiums)