Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Gabe Newell gives some insight into Steam sales

doejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By doejonathan

Gabe Newell gave a video conference at a Sports/Entertainment Class. In the video below he talks, among other (sales related) subjects, how the crazy Steam sales aren't that crazy at all.  

I've always wondered how Valve could pull the sales off without losing revenue. I thought it was simply there to get people to install Steam and hope they'll purchase something in the future. The interesting thing is, not only do sales bump up the revenue, but future sales at a normal price will also see an increase. I'm guessing this has to do with making a product popular first, and thereby making future costumers confident in their purchases.  

Gabe Newell on
    • 01:40 - 06:30 the history of Valve and marketing
    • 07:20 - 09:37 the difference between digital and traditional retail sales and finding out the right approach to the "digital" audience 
    • 09:37 - 15:55 the value of the costumer in relation to customizing the value of the product and the experimentation involved due to the lack of direct parallels 
    • 15:00 - 17:15 the power of hindsight
    • 17:20 - 19:48 the amount of stress on Valve employees and independence 
    • 19:55 - 21:45 the correlation between age and the age of technology 
    • 21:50 - 23:10 whether the current state of the economy influences innovation and independent game development 
    • 23:30 - 24:30 his favorite game he has made, his personal favorite game he has played, on Mario Sunshine as well as Mario Galaxy  
    • 24:45 - 26:10 on how dropping out of school makes you a billionaire and male prostitution 
    • 26:20 - 32:30 Valve's job requirement and the importance of adaptation, knowing your audience and staying current with the changes in the industry
    • 33:10 - 35:25 from inception to finished product (includes Tippecanoe Valley High School lunch announcement)
    • 35:45 - 37:20 popularizing Steam, using costumers to create new costumers instead of outside business partners
    • 37:28 - 40:10 gaining experience, the significance of failing and the people you work with
    • 40:25 - 42:55 developing a game and knowing which tools to use on which project, final words, the weather

I hope this is not considered youtube spam or whether this has already been posted elsewhere. (Anyone knows how to make the embedded player fullscreen?). 

Credits go to Destructoid for the heads up and VercittiGangBoy for uploading.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iDarktread

DOTA2

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

-75% discount = 4000% increase in sales; basically x10 sales at baseline price, plus additional revenue from publicity after the sale. It's always been estimated as such, but it's nice that it's confirmed now. 

StillVictor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By StillVictor
    @Geno Didn't he say 40x gross revenue?
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By time allen

he hasn't mentioned half life 2 ep 3 within the first six minutes why does gabe hate me

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By Chris2KLee

Pretty much what they've been saying on the Bombcast. The loss is worth it to get Steam on peoples systems. Then the next time they see a big PC release coming up they have a little icon on their desktop reminding them they can get the same game delivered digitally, and possibly at a better price.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By time allen
    @Chris2KLee said:
    " Pretty much what they've been saying on the Bombcast. The loss is worth it to get Steam on peoples systems."
    but they don't lose money.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @Toms115 said:

" @Chris2KLee said:

" Pretty much what they've been saying on the Bombcast. The loss is worth it to get Steam on peoples systems."
    but they don't lose money. "
    I figure it depends on the game, some of the sales they have soon after the release has to cost someone money (at least initially), but is probably balanced out quickly through the follow up sales at full price. Whatever the economics, it's a classic Trojan horse tactic, one that has cost my wallet dearly.
    mr_moustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By mr_moustache

You gotta love this Company.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By fjordson

Wow. I wish one of my high school classes would have had a video conference with someone like Gabe Newell.

Pretty interesting about the sales, but I think it makes sense. I know I've bought games after friends of mine bought something on sale and had positive things to say about it.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm only half way into the video, gabe newell is brilliant and has the right formulas for marketing sucess. He looks for the results though experimentations rather than use preconcieved notions and rationality which doesn't produce the same results like most store copy pc games.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CaptainObvious

Gabe hates Super Mario Galaxy? Fuck that guy!

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Chris2KLee said:

" Pretty much what they've been saying on the Bombcast. The loss is worth it to get Steam on peoples systems. Then the next time they see a big PC release coming up they have a little icon on their desktop reminding them they can get the same game delivered digitally, and possibly at a better price. "

But that's a bs assumption of loss based on a bs assumption that retail pricing is any indication of cost of development (big hint here: it isn't).  What costs the most is marketing, manufacture, shipping and all the other sundries (such as staff training and non press junkets).  In terms of consumer product, Games are relatively cheap to develop, when compared with something like TV or movies.  So by subtracting a lot of the middleman costs (ie instore marketing, packaging and shipping) VALVe can sell their games during sale periods at something closer to their actual cost value (in terms of the data, licenses and assets which make up a game - something any publisher would know in complete detail) and still retain an extremely healthy profit overall.  VALVe isn't selling any of their sale items at a loss in order to bring customers to Steam.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Geno
    @StillVictor said:
    " @Geno Didn't he say 40x gross revenue? "
    Ah, I interpreted it as unit sales. My bad. 
    kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By kalmis

That was very insightful. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.