Steins;Gate:Anyone interested in buying this one next week?

• 91 results
Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So since Visual novel like games became a bit more popular with stuff like 999 I really hope people here also will be interested in this game which will be released in a week (The limited Edition) and next month the normal one. For people who do not know what this game or story is about:

Okabe Rintarou -- aka Okarin -- is an eccentric college student who dreams of conspiracy and chaos. Adopting the persona of a mad scientist, he spends his time developing oddball gadgets with his friends in their makeshift laboratory.

One day, they accidentally discover that one of their inventions can send emails into the past. In other words, they have created a time machine.

SERN, John Titor, the IBN 5100, the Butterfly Effect, and the 11 theories of time travel -- when chance brings these elements together in Akihabara, Japan, the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

What will Okarin choose when he holds the future in his hands?

No Caption Provided

Personally I have never watched the Anime so I will go in relatively blind but due to the really good reception of this game I am petty excited to be honest. For the uninformed this game is rated M for a reason. As far as I know there will be no explicit sex scenes or full frontal nudity but several forms of violence and also sexual themes which could be uncomfortable for some people. I doubt it is on a Saya no Uta level but since I never watched the anime or played the game so far I can not say that this is 100% true.

Here is some old trailer:

So anyone here interested or already played the game?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

:o I've heard good things about this. It's good to know there will be an English PC version.

wokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man really? I watched the anime and really loved it! I will definitely look into buying it, thanks for revealing this to me!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Looks interesting ... havent seen the anime either but now it on my radar

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice, was thinking about making a post on this game too as we near release. I preordered the limited edition from Jbox, I won't be able to get involved with it until some time in May when semester is over, but I am anxiously waiting. I have avoided everything except very minor details on the story so that I can stay away from spoilers. That's the thing with most VNs if you lose the story you don't have a whole lot left to get into. Anyways, I am glad to see some activity on visual novels, especially around here.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bigjeffrey

It's been like 1 or 2 weeks since i binged watched through the Anime and Movie.

its fuckign awesome

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Have it pre-ordered. Been looking forward to it for awhile! The anime got me hooked on this franchise.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The anime is god damn stellar. This could be interesting to check out.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I might, if it wasn't coming out on April 30th for anyone who didn't get the limited edition.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: I've watched you go from 350 posts to 5,000+ and you still haven't picked out an avatar. C'mon, man.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The moment this comes out on Steam I'm buying a copy for everyone on my friend's list. This game's great. We need more amazing VNs translated and brought over.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Wow, that's awesome. I've had the anime saved for a rainy day and haven't watched it yet, but I'm still really interested regardless. I'll have to find a way to play this once I watch the show.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Steins;Gate is a nice visual novel. I'm going to get this new version, and I hope many others will, too.

(@darji were you on vacation? I noticed you haven't been around in the last two weeks.)

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably one of the half dozen VN games that exist I might actually buy. The anime and the novels are quite good for those who care. In fact it handles time travel better than most major sci fi dramas/hollywood movies do.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrad said:

The moment this comes out on Steam I'm buying a copy for everyone on my friend's list. This game's great. We need more amazing VNs translated and brought over.

Can I be your steam friend ;D ?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the anime, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sinusoidal

I thought the anime was the most overrated, moe-riddled pile of shit anime I've seen in recent memory... so no.

I couldn't get past the doe-eyed moron of a sister, (the main character's motivation for everything that happens) who is supposed to be a grown adult, yet consistently acts like a fucking helpless three year-old. Is it cool to act like you have brain damage in Japan?

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's very good. The anime was good, but lots of perhipory stuff was cut out. If you didn't like the anime, don't get.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart said:

It's very good. The anime was good, but lots of perhipory stuff was cut out. If you didn't like the anime, don't get.

That is why many people think the Visual Novel is better. Also i offers different endings and storylines.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: I've watched you go from 350 posts to 5,000+ and you still haven't picked out an avatar. C'mon, man.

HE'S ALIVE! I thought he was banned or something. Anyway, @darji, if you want to I could find or make an avatar for you, just say what you're looking for and I will get it.

And Steins;Gate is quite good.

No Caption Provided

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexandersheen: Thanks for the offer but in all honestly I never liked avatars that much. But If you want you can make me something. Does not even matter what as long it is not insulting. Also please no Nintendo related stuffXD

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sinusoidal

@poppduder said:

HE'S ALIVE! I thought he was banned or something. Anyway, @darji, if you want to I could find or make an avatar for you, just say what you're looking for and I will get it.

And Steins;Gate is quite good.

No Caption Provided

That's her. Is she saying "Hi, I'm a sub-human moron who needs her brother to dress her in the morning which is why I wear this extra short, baby blue sundress with spandex shorts underneath and old-lady hat every single day of my life!"?

I kid!

But no. Why must she act so freaking stupid?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey it's Darji, I was almost afraid you were gone for good, haven't seen you post in a while.

As for the topic on hand, I might, I do enjoy a Visual Novel from time to time. I'll be looking up some more info and keeping an eye out for this one.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

How is this being distributed in English? Will they sell it on Steam? DRM free only? What sites will sell it?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen said:

How is this being distributed in English? Will they sell it on Steam? DRM free only? What sites will sell it?

I think they are interested on bringing this to steam if they can, but right now. it is through their website.Right now you can buy the limited version which is a box with extras and will release ne one week, but you will receive a download code on day one as well, so you do not have to wait for the game to arrive. The regular version will be download only and will release one month later for whatever reason^^

http://www.jastusa.com/shop/steinsgate-limited.html

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: Yeah it is not really good but to be honest here. They have to since this stuff is already really niche and most people just download the game anyway. As for DRM you also have to activate it online as well. But after one time activation you should be good

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ervonymous

I played the fan translation a couple years ago, it's pretty good. Might double-dip if it makes it to Steam and it should unless JAST, 5pb. and Nitroplus have too much money.

No Caption Provided

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: @forcen:

may be conflicting information, I know that Jbox has been hyping up the fact game is drm free, even on their homepage updated this past week to hype games upcoming release it says this.

No Caption Provided

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ervonymous: Is this how she speaks or is this just some very bad fan translation? I hope the later one^^

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame: Maybe they are referring to the disc version. They Need more info on that site.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame: Even better to know this. Honestly I do not care about DRM as much as long it works without problems I am fine with it.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ervonymous
@darji said:

Is this how she speaks or is this just some very bad fan translation? I hope the later one^^

That's just Rintarou making fun of Makise's American badassitude, we'll have to see how much of the JAST translation is straight out of the fan one.

Stefanten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Stefanten

Are there any story ties between Chaos;Head and this? I wanted to play Chaos;Head but couldn't get it working, so is it okay to skip it?

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: I didn't made the original, just cropped it but I thought it was pretty cool. If you can't recognize it then you don't belong to the Anime Discussion thread anymore.

No Caption Provided

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexandersheen: Thanks. I will gladly take it and of course I know this. Great Anime even though the Manga right now is lacking a bit^^

Avatar image for deactivated-583dfbc21c8a9
deactivated-583dfbc21c8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super excited, I love buying good VNs that actually get localized. Steins;Gate has a great story and the art style is fantastic.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Probably, I enjoyed the anime. Not sure if its a first day buy but would be pretty bummed if they made a limited run of the english version of this game and in a couple of months the game is like 200 bucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am VERY tempted to buy it, especially because the anime is supposed to be fucking amazing, maybe even one of the best ever made. But I think I might watch that first because of GBA games hitting Wii U VC next week and BlazBlue:CP

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@forcen said:

I think they are interested on bringing this to steam if they can, but right now. it is through their website.Right now you can buy the limited version which is a box with extras and will release ne one week, but you will receive a download code on day one as well, so you do not have to wait for the game to arrive. The regular version will be download only and will release one month later for whatever reason^^

http://www.jastusa.com/shop/steinsgate-limited.html

God damn, sixty dollars? For a Visual Novel? Screw that!

Even the standard edition is 40 bucks, sheesh. I'd pay at most like 20-30 dollars for a VN, but even that is really pushing it. I feel like this is going to be pirated to high hell.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45: It is a very long game as far as I heard it takes over 50 hours if you want to do every route and even the first time it will take you roughly 30 hours. That is like 1 dollar and hour. And the 60$ version comes of course with extra stuff like an art book. It is a fair price in my opinion.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Wolfgame

@random45: people who were gonna pirate probably already have, I believe this VN was already fan translated some time ago, I hold out for official releases to buy because I honestly want to encourage more of these games to come out. This game releasing in an official capacity in our market + rated by ESRB is actually a very big deal imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Yeah, Visual Novels are definitely very long experiences, so looking at it from that angle it's definitely worth it. However, there's a distinct lack of almost any gameplay, they're more like books than games, and pricing them as high as forty to sixty dollars just makes me feel off.

That being said, I'll probably get the 40 dollar version just because I want to support more Visual Novels being translated and released over here. Plus, I haven't seen the anime, so I'll be going in completely blind, which is always fun.

Edit:

@wolfgame: Yep, exactly why I'm gonna support it even though I disagree with the pricing.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I guess they must have a lot of faith in the people buying this to support them, because delaying the standard downloadable edition by a month compared to the LE for a PC game is also a bad way to ensure people just pirate the game.

I wish this game just had a typical, non-weird Steam release. It'd be getting a lot more attention and, surely, sales that way.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ervonymous
@stefanten said:

Are there any story ties between Chaos;Head and this? I wanted to play Chaos;Head but couldn't get it working, so is it okay to skip it?

Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes are a part of an ongoing series by 5pb. and Nitroplus, they're all independent stories with some recurring characters and winks & nods to the other titles so you're not missing anything substantial.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I thought the anime was the most overrated, moe-riddled pile of shit anime I've seen in recent memory... so no.

I couldn't get past the doe-eyed moron of a sister, (the main character's motivation for everything that happens) who is supposed to be a grown adult, yet consistently acts like a fucking helpless three year-old. Is it cool to act like you have brain damage in Japan?

First of all, she's like 17 (and not his sister). Secondly, she's barely helpless and I don't get the criticism; she acts like that for a reason (not the least of which is that she works at a maid cafe), and the only brain damagy thing she does is stardust shakehand or w/e which also happens for a reason.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I am now.

Why the bleep haven't we seen a re-release of the Infinity series, now that the whole canonical series has finally been fan translated to a quality level (and one of them even had an official but no longer in print release)?

Also, I paid $100 to import the collector's edition of a VN *after* already playing through it. A quality visual novel is worth every penny. It's a great medium. It's too bad I'm a crazy outlier for their bottom line, though.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal said:

If you were held hostage by a mad scientist for years, you might act a little weird too.