Looking for podcast where Austin talked Stellaris and had basic philisopical disagreements with another games journalist

zaldar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zaldar

Austin when he was here mentioned a couple times a podcast where he went into deep discussions with another games journalist about the things he liked about Stellaris and the opposing journalist turned out to dislike the game for those exact reasons. Didn't have time or money to pick the game up or listen to the podcast at the time so didn't pay it to much attention. I have both now though - but now I can't seem to find the podcast. All I remember beside the above is that I think it was a podcast devoted to strategy games in general. Anyone else that remembers this and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

chen_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By chen_96

This is the only podcast were Stellaris was tagged in the podcast so I presume it would be the one. I don't know when he talks about it but I would presume it would be in the "what have we played" section. FFR if you ever want to look something like "What podcast where they talking about X game" again go to the wiki of the game in question and click on the news tab. You can find every podcast and video with the game tagged.

EDIT: Never mind I though it was about a Beastcast episode

Slasktotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Slasktotten

I think this is what you're looking for?

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/stellaris

Don't know how to make a clickable link on the phone, but it's three moves ahead from idle thumbs :)

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By Nodima

Idle Thumbs w/ Rowan Kaiser (5/9/16)

simple google search, pretty sure this is what he was referring to considering Kaiser became a household name for a brief moment after the developers singled his mostly negative review out as a good thing because he had a long history with reviewing the genre and didn't deserve the scorn he was receiving from the game's fans.

saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By saethir

I'm pretty sure you're talking about this Three Moves Ahead episode that Austin was on. It's a great discussion, I hope this helps!

edit: Haha, beat to it :)

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Yeah it was 3MA. Great podcast. Kaiser is a big stick in the mud most times.

zaldar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys! Podcast bookmarked. Always good to find a podcast that I hadn't heard about before that I will likely love. Man so many I want to listen to now regularly.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: No. Kaiser is Good. And he was right. Stellaris had a bad mid-game. The game is still my GOTY though.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tribunal: Kaiser is a big stick in the mud ;) He just wasn't wrong. There are a lot of problems with Stellaris and he explained them quite well. It was such a shame that people lost their fucking minds with him over that. He really know what he's talking about when it comes to strategy games.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rowan Kaiser is great (and I can't believe the usual reactionary crowd [who may not be named] tried to pretend he's not someone with decades of experience behind him), but he's no Dr. Bruce "Hallo Gamers!" Geryk.

3MA is such a perfect podcast (even when you disagree with a panellist about something) and the archive stands up really well for any grognard looking for some great listening.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Anonymous_Jesse

When I first listened to that cast, Kaiser made me so angry. Then I played the game and hated it. So you win this one Kaiser.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I remember Austin mentioning that argument on the beastcast.

Anyway I know it's lazy to ask here when I can just look it up myself, but have they added anything new to Stellaris yet? I played it for about 20 hours and enjoyed my time, but thought I would save it for later when it had gotten more features and better mid game.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arabes: I guess I am arguing that you can be good and a stick in the mud :)

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OurSin_360

@tothenines The asimov patch changed some things about the mid game, Embassies are no longer a thing, they added diplomacy, and space is open by default so your not trapped anymore. I never tried it though

The new patch is changing things about space creatures and pirates, not 100% sure on the details.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tothenines: I'd wait til they do their first DLC and then jump back in. The game will probably be quite different by then. They're not afraid to tweak a lot of things after release and the games are better for it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@the_tribunal said:

@artisanbreads: No. Kaiser is Good. And he was right. Stellaris had a bad mid-game. The game is still my GOTY though.

I never said he was bad. He's just constantly a stick in the mud on most games but hell Jeff Gerstmann can be quite similar. I love the 3MA and he's on it all the time man. He is entitled to his opinion.

On a side note, would love Zacny on GB! Not to be the annoying hiring guy but I really like Zacny a ton and he would bring a different perspective. No idea if he would even be interested given his east coast location and interests but I have thought about it.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way Austin talked about this game....

Man it disappointed me, I still enjoyed Stellaris, but just as I simply didn't get what he was on about with Incredible inc. I didn't get what he was on about with this, oh well, he was that guy.

Each to their own.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sarcasticmudcrab: it has the best early game of any space 4x i have played. The grand strategy stuff is just too light atm though. I need yo start a new game with the latest patch, i haveny been able to finish one yet. I wanted to make the star trek federation but the way federations work in game is no fun.